• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I Rebuilt for PS5 - Features and Gameplay Trailer

Bartski

Gold Member
Well this one one big marketing fuck up and thanks to poor communication they allowed people imagination to run wild with stuff like: "TLOU2 gameplay!" or "enhanced exploration!".
Clearly, yeah. But then I see people reacting like ND put this video together yesterday in response to the leaks. That's a very unusual hour for Playstation to post stuff, I think they just rushed it out after yesterday and it was planned for next week.

As it stands, the lack of advanced melee mechanics is very disappointing, I also expected some of that to return from Part 2, as opposed to prone. The upgrade is mainly cosmetic but what an upgrade it is.

Love hearing about the density of physics/rigid bodies/breakables/decals. Companion AI predicting enemy paths should solve the single biggest issue in the original game, so good. True headphone surround is what was missing for grounded.
Obviously, motion-matching is also back, I expect "environment awareness" to improve a ton, also for contextual finishers.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Clearly, yeah. But then I see people reacting like ND put this video together yesterday in response to the leaks. That's a very unusual hour for Playstation to post stuff, I think they just rushed it out after yesterday and it was planned for next week.

I'm sure that the entire video was not put together in 1.5 days but they clearly rewritten some of the script in answer to those leaks. It's not a coincidence that they use this specific language in the video. The wording on the official website changed as well. It's now A FAITHFUL RECREATION. I don't recall them using these words before to describe the remake.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Not a chance I can buy this at £70

I know why Sony are pushing this to tie in with the HBO show, but TLO2 sales show a pretty steep decline from the first games and subsequent remasters sales.

It got hit hard by the fake leaks and controversy at the time and a lot of people never played the game (it’s full of nonsense but still one of the best games I’ve played from a gameplay perspective)

I platinumed the remaster this year and it holds up incredibly well for me, so this is not a product for me. For people coming in fresh to the series it’s a no brainer because it will be the most good looking and playing version of the game.

Be interesting to see if they go for TLOU3 on the next 5 years and how they handle it or just stick all their eggs in to factions to try and emulate R* money for GTA online. Something tells me though that universe is just more fun and a “nicer” place to be. I have faith factions will be extremely good, but they’re taking their sweet time.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Who is going to the the descriptive audio accessibility feature? Isn't that for blind people? How are you playing a video game in the first place if you're blind?
Are you blind? Believe it or not there are people who are “partially blind” who this feature will be incredibly useful to.

Naughty Dog are extremely meticulous with their accessibility features and it should be applauded.

I know it looks better but my brain is barely comprehending it as better. Still feels uneeded. Are the textures worse than TLOU2 or am I bugging? Art direction maybe makes it look more samey but it just doesn't look as good.

I remembered how they said they wanted a dog to accompany Joel and Ellie during lou1, but it opened a cluster of problems and they unfortunatly had to skip it.
I would've loved if they could've implemented the dog's from lou2 into this remake; more new stuff is good in my book.
Maybe even added a death scene for the dog as they came close to the end.. but I guess that would've been to much of a change to the orginal, flow/beat of the story and all that.
I'd pay more for that...add stuff that wasn't in the first game...give me the intended experience.

Whitecrow

Banned
Wellp... If I had a PS5 i would buy this at a decent price, which for how much I dont like Druckmann, is saying a lot.

I loved both games, but even if it was free I don’t think I would play through part 1 again.

I mean it sure looks better now, but I’ve played that game before and rather play something new.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Naughty Dog...they are on another plane of existence. Very impressive

It's been long enough since I played TLoU remastered on ps4. Just don't know if this is the game I should buy a PS5 for.

I feel like I would want whatever the PS5 pro ends up being. I'll happily pay more if it's a bog enough jump

Last edited:

TonyK

I want to buy it but 50€ would have been my hot spot. Like The Quarry, I didn't purchased it at 75€ at launch because I felt that's not the prize for that type of game, but as soon it has been discounted to 50€ in this Summer sale in the Ps store I purchase it.

Returnal, for example, needs to reach 30€ max to buy it. But I will buy God of War at 80€. Value is personal for each one.

It's not a matter if I can't pay 80€ for The Last of Us because I don't have enough money, is something related to perceived value. I could afford to pay 50€ for a coffee, as anyone here, but for sure none of us will pay that for a coffee.

Said that, I know me, and maybe at launch day I will buy it at 80€ only because I love Naughty Dog games.

ryzen1

Man, I would really love to replay this game with the mentioned improvements.
But I'm not willing to pay another 70€/$ either.
I would have appreciated a discount for people who already purchased TLoU1.

drezz

Man, I would really love to replay this game with the mentioned improvements.
But I'm not willing to pay another 70€/$ either.
I would have appreciated a discount for people who already purchased TLoU1.
Same, I'd figure it would be 70 and then "FREE" on PS+ Premium editions

Moses85

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

But not for 70 EUR

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Tlou 2 has proven the series is in a decline. Sales were worse, so likely not.

I think uncharted 2 would have been more exciting looking, especially since that style has more wow factor and tlou2 just came out and looks similar to TLOU1 remake
Totally ...uncharted 1-3 need gameplay tweaks way more than last of us does as well. The shooting in 1-3 compared to 4 is so much more gamey and unsatisfying

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

I think uncharted 2 would have been more exciting looking, especially since that style has more wow factor and tlou2 just came out and looks similar to TLOU1 remake
It's their most successful game by far.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Totally ...uncharted 1-3 need gameplay tweaks way more than last of us does as well. The shooting in 1-3 compared to 4 is so much more gamey and unsatisfying

Uncharted 1 felt terrible to play at release date and now in 2022 it's simply irredeemable.

My dream Naughty Dog remake would be Uncharted 1 and prequel (Golden Abyss from Vita) remade FROM THE GROUND UP for PS5.

I’ll buy at $30, unbelievable visuals
We saw these visuals 2 years ago on a previous gen on much weaker hardware. I expected a better looking game than Part 2 for this reason. Don't know why you guys are happy with it looking just like Part 2...are we not on Ps5 which is over double the power of the ps4 pro? Some ray traced reflections or even more so shadows would've made a huge difference but no apparently, yet Naughty Dog seems to claim that they're taking advantage of the ps5 ...if they were really taking full advantage they would've made use of some RT shadows or AO...there shouldn't be a question of "does this look next gen" ..

If this turns out to have the same blocky low res shadows that the Uncharted 4 remaster (and all their games) have I'm gonna flip a shit

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looks like an incredible face lift graphics wise, and the accessibility stuff is amazing. Playability looks exactly the same.

Will buy it when I can get it cheap. Graphically looks brilliant but the leakers footage looks real.

If this is for new players, I can't believe they show the giraffe scene lol...and I'm not talking about Ellie neck....haha

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
So movement animations = gameplay enhancements according to ND, noted. Other than buddies AI there's nothing really different from the original.

As always with thise kind of talks it's mostly all about the Dualsense, like the controller is the PS5 itself.

Visually it looks good/great, but not something I'd call a "next-gen-only exclusive', looks for me like a mix of UC4, TLoU2 and RDR2, especially the latter one given how the lightning and textures art direction are virtually the same, give Joel a hat and a revolver and you'd fool half of the internet.

So all in all, everything is fine except that awful 70€ price tag, for 40-45 it would perfect. Maybe when the game lands on PC it'll have better adjusted price.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Looks great! Expected a bit more but will definitely buy this one and prove the wife that gaming is much more than what she thinks it is.

Topher

Gold Member
Wait, is that true? Topher Topher said part 1 was rebuilt with the physics and gameplay elements from tlou2. So it isn't?

None of this has been confirmed yet. Actually, I'm just waking up so I didn't see this thread before. Will watch the video in a bit.

This is what ND has previously said:

"We’ve implemented modernized gameplay, improved controls, and expanded accessibility options in this single-player experience to allow even more individuals to enjoy the game. Effects, exploration, and combat have all been enhanced. Leveraging the PS5’s powerful hardware, we also implemented 3D Audio*, haptics, and adaptive triggers. Both returning fans and new players alike will have the opportunity to experience both The Last of Us Part I and its prequel story Left Behind in a whole new way. "

Last edited:
It sold about a million more copies than the new ip ghost of tsushima in 2 years so 10. Odd million vs 9.75....

Not what Sony expected I don't think.

To be fair it did that months before Ghost so the gap is likely still bigger than that.

And 2 Versions (PS4 and PS5) versus 1.

Flabagast

Looks great! Expected a bit more but will definitely buy this one and prove the wife that gaming is much more than what she thinks it is.
She probably thinks that gaming is a hobby for male teenagers where you spend 90% of your time following a straight line and brainlessly shooting & murdering people, and, well.... TLOU will not help change her mind but only confirm her thoughts as that's exactly that. She will look at you with a concerned face and ask you why in god's name you tell her it's different as it's the exact same thing as any other retarded shooting gallery she watches you playing night after night.

Try showing her some intelligent games instead, aka Outer Wilds, Obra Dinn, The Witness, Disco Elysium etc... Then maybe she will revise her views. And it wont be bad for you to expand your horizon of thinking as well.

Ellery

Okay so I watched this video now (didn't look at any leaked material so far) Looks really good. I see absolutely no problems with how the game looks. It is clearly more than one generation ahead. What is all the drama the last days?

For me the difference is night and day even though Naughty Dog outdid themselves with the PS3 version in 2013.

She probably thinks that gaming is a hobby for male teenagers where you spend 90% of your time following a straight line and brainlessly shooting & murdering people, and, well.... TLOU will not help change her mind but only confirm her thoughts as that's exactly that. She will look at you with a concerned face and ask you why in god's name you tell her it's different as it's the exact same thing as any other retarded shooting gallery she watches you playing night after night.

Try showing her some intelligent games instead, aka Outer Wilds, Obra Dinn, The Witness, Disco Elysium etc... Then maybe she will revise her views. And it wont be bad for you to expand your horizon of thinking as well.

Didn't know it was possible to reach this level of cringe post.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Druckman "(the technology) allows to make everything better, not different, but better"

Outside of some enhancements like dual sense, based on the video, everything they show and talk about, it looks like the game play has not received any overhauls in terms of mechanics or bringing in TLoU 2's advanced stealth etc.
Exactly it is right there “rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of a new generation of graphical capability” so this is what they worked on and they tried to make you believe that this will have Part 2 gameplay which make since when you say “remake” and with that ridiculous price but no. Funny how Part 2 looks and plays better that this remaster which is a game from a previous generation from the same dev.

None of this has been confirmed yet. Actually, I'm just waking up so I didn't see this thread before. Will watch the video in a bit.

This is what ND has previously said:

"We’ve implemented modernized gameplay, improved controls, and expanded accessibility options in this single-player experience to allow even more individuals to enjoy the game. Effects, exploration, and combat have all been enhanced. Leveraging the PS5’s powerful hardware, we also implemented 3D Audio*, haptics, and adaptive triggers. Both returning fans and new players alike will have the opportunity to experience both The Last of Us Part I and its prequel story Left Behind in a whole new way. "
So, leak unsurprisingly confirmed and no TLOU2 gameplay in 1, just graphical enhancements and allegedly minor AI tweaks which were not demonstrated in the video. Other than that no changes.

How, by the way remaining ND fans, can you stretch this to "enhanced exploration and combat." Especially exploration, you don't even have a tiny change to overstate to cover for ND, no changes at all for that as far as it seems.

In other words ND lied. Remaining ND fans, feel free to consume the product from a lying misleading company even though a remaster already exists from the same product. Why not skip the middleman and just mail money regularly to ND?

Last edited:
Druckman "(the technology) allows to make everything better, not different, but better"

Outside of some enhancements like dual sense, based on the video, everything they show and talk about, it looks like the game play has not received any overhauls in terms of mechanics or bringing in TLoU 2's advanced stealth etc.
The AI is now using TLOU2 technology so will bring about very different and improved encounters.

GymWolf

Nice damage control trailer, i want to see the extent of this improved destruction and how they improved the ia from tlou2 that even on grounded was super exploitable before even thinking of going day one now that tlou2 gameplay is off the table.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Nice damage control trailer, i want to see the extent of this improved destruction and how they improved the ia from tlou2 that even at grounded was super exploitable before even thinking of going day one now that tlou2 gameplay is off the table.

It will be small props like bottles, cups, glass etc. Nothing too crazy because all their lighting is baked so don't expect an entire piece of furniture to be destructible. In one scene in the trailer you can see Ellie throwing explosive and only glass shatters, wooden planks don't care.

FunkMiller

Well. There it is. A graphical overhaul, but only minor changes to the actual gameplay.

They vastly oversold what this remake would be. There should have been a much more accurate communication when the game was announced about what was actually being done.

But then I guess that doesn’t sell as many pre-orders, does it? Greedy bitches.

Good luck to those who want to drop full price on something that doesn’t really improve on the original game in terms of gameplay, but makes it look better. I won’t be buying it, because I’ve played and completed TLOU many times.

GymWolf

It will be small props like bottles, cups, glass etc. Nothing too crazy because all their lighting is baked so don't expect an entire piece of furniture to be destructible. In one scene in the trailer you can see Ellie throwing explosive and only glass shatters, wooden planks don't care.
Don't worry, my expectations were already low enough to dig a hole and reach china.

I'm more curious about the "enhanced" ia compared to tlou2.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

If I were Sony, I’d be making this a Day One release on PS Plus Premium.

It just does not justify its price tag on Playstation.

At all.

Topher

Gold Member
So, leak unsurprisingly confirmed and no TLOU2 gameplay in 1, just graphical enhancements and allegedly minor AI tweaks which were not demonstrated in the video. Other than that no changes.

How, by the way remaining ND fans, can you stretch this to "enhanced exploration and combat." Especially exploration, you don't even have a tiny change to overstate to cover for ND, no changes at all for that as far as it seems.

In other words ND lied. Remaining ND fans, feel free to consume the product from a lying misleading company even though a remaster already exists from the same product. Why not skip the middleman and just mail money regularly to ND?

Watched the video. Here's what I got out of it:

-Seamless transitions (loved this in TLOU 2)
-Density of physics objects. Destructible objects
-AI tech increased
-Increased "buddy" AI
-Motion matching improves player movement
-Accessibility improvements
-Haptics
-3D Audio

My take: Looks amazing. Are there gameplay improvements? Some. Is this TLOU 2 gameplay? No. Where is the enhanced exploration? No idea.

Edit: The big question. Do these enhancements justify a $70 price tag? No, it doesn't.

Last edited:

Ellery

If I were Sony, I’d be making this a Day One release on PS Plus Premium.

It just does not justify its price tag on Playstation.

At all.

I am not saying Jim Ryan is an evil capitalist and Shawn Layden was a lovely gamer, but there certainly is a shift from Playstation to focus on how to maximize profits and while we all agree this is the main concern for any business, there certainly is a different feel to the way Jim Ryan operates.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Alot of broke bitches in the youtube comments. Can't save $70 in 2-3 months.

Gaming is an expensive hobby. Get over it.

People not preparing their mouth freely on their knees for the next gen fee aren't broke, but still has their dignity.
Yes they brought in everyone, edited this entire 10 minute video in less than 48 hours for damage control lmao.
What a lame take.

Damage control could be making naughty dog forced to show the trailer before intended, not when and how fast they made the trailer.
It had to leak for them to react at all

Come On Joel GIF by Naughty Dog
8679305.jpg

The most cringe gaming memes in years.

We are up there together with Bill Gates and his awesome dancing skills with these memes.
No pc info... no uncharted info neither! I guess pc version only in 2023!
Would be stupid to reveal the pc release so there would be less of a reason to buy a 599 console to play a 10 year old game.
I don't know if sales were worse, but many people didn't believe or know about the leaks.

TLoU2 sold instant well because its a well known Sony series.

TLoU2 got mixed reception with bad being the most part, tlou3 will show if the franchise got damaged or not.

Top Bottom