• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I Rebuilt for PS5 - Features and Gameplay Trailer

scydrex

the moment Sony has to create a trailer to try and convince fans this is not a money-grab title is the moment they knew they are a greedy ass company....

Edit : just so idiots don't jump on me for being a fanboy or troll or whatever, this is one of the best games ever released during the PS3 generation. my problem is paying 70$ for updated graphics for the same fucking game you can play for 10$ on PS4/PS5.

Its not even what the PS5 is capable off. this is just the first game running on part 2 engine. this is not a 70$ excuse. hell even part 2 is 20$

Nintendo does the exact same thing and they sell millions and millions of those games. Mario Kart 8 and Zelda Skyward example.

Ezekiel_

Banned
«There's no prone, there's no dodge. Sony's going to make bank without those features, how dare they!»
sad alex jones GIF

ChiefDada

Gold Member
While showing the exact same thing happening at the car crash scene(ps3), where the planker comes from your side and a revolver guy advances twoards the entrance, as orignally scripted.
AI showcased in the Leaked footage are more telling then what was shown in the trailer.
Call out was in ps3 version as well, in lou2 they called out to each other more often and had names which would be yelled out as you pick them off in different ways.

Edit:
Not to say the AI isnt improved, the PS3 AI was very bad

Lol they had ~10min to give a broad overview of the game. You'll just have to play it or hear from others just how far reaching the improvements are.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If/when they release The Last of Us Part II Director's cut, I hope they allow us to change costumes.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Day 1 for me. I buy games I like, this is one of the best games ever made.

Seeing people frothing at the mount like this is a massive upgrade is pretty hilarious. There is very little here that warrants a “remake” monikor or the price tag.

If this wasn’t nominated for GotY, y’all would be losing your shit.
Looks better than any From game ever made by a gen or 2. Dont hear people bitching about that incompetent company.

Alright, hearing about the large amount of new mocap they did and A.I. changes now clicks for me as to why they're thinking this is a brand new full remake on their end, even though the end product appears like a new coat of paint from the consumer's side.

It's a shame they stuck to utilizing the older version's level geometry and layouts(especially with cover objects like tables, bookshelves, etc) because that old PS3 geometry is what's holding back this game from looking as next gen as it should. They could have kept the older geometry for cutscenes-only. The lighting also looks a bit older-gen at times but there are moments where it looks way, way better too. It's odd. This game is an odd mixture.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
no thanks. not worth it. it will need a steep price drop for me to consider it. not really seeing why i shouldn't just go play the PS4 version other than updated visuals.

drezz

I remembered how they said they wanted a dog to accompany Joel and Ellie during lou1, but it opened a cluster of problems and they unfortunatly had to skip it.
I would've loved if they could've implemented the dog's from lou2 into this remake; more new stuff is good in my book.
Maybe even added a death scene for the dog as they came close to the end.. but I guess that would've been to much of a change to the orginal, flow/beat of the story and all that.

Paulxo87

Idk what to think about this shit. Some of it looks great but then you almost got this reverse uncanny valley look in some scenes where they boosted some of the visuals in the scene but not others.... Which then leads to this weird in between effect. I'm sold just not 70 dollars sold. Maybe 30

Yoboman

the moment Sony has to create a trailer to try and convince fans this is not a money-grab title is the moment they knew they are a greedy ass company....

Edit : just so idiots don't jump on me for being a fanboy or troll or whatever, this is one of the best games ever released during the PS3 generation. my problem is paying 70$ for updated graphics for the same fucking game you can play for 10$ on PS4/PS5.

Its not even what the PS5 is capable off. this is just the first game running on part 2 engine. this is not a 70$ excuse. hell even part 2 is 20$
Tell me you have no idea how game development works without telling me

Matsuchezz

You don’t have a problem… you think you do but you don’t since it seems you already decided you are not going to buy it.
But you have a problem with other people enjoying the remake just because you are not going to. And that is sad. The people who are going to buy it and enjoy it really don’t care about all the reasons that may seem reasonable to you. I enjoyed the original game on PS3, I enjoyed the remaster when I bought my ps4 and most likely I will enjoy this remake of one of my most beloved games of all time. I do not think it is a waste of time nor resources I play the game at least once a year. I love it and this definitive version on ps consoles is most welcomed by me and many others.

The fact is that the game is almost here and if SIE AND ND profit on the remake and make a lot of fans happy the resources will have not been wasted. If the remake was unnecessary it is beside the point.

Last edited:

skit_data

Soo it’s ”just” a remake of TLOU similar to how Demon’s Souls and (arguably) Shadow of the Colossus was remade. Cool, cool, cool. I wish they just said that from the beginning instead of talking about gameplay improvements etc.
Instead of using words like ”improved” just use words like ”faithfully remade” and so on.

It’s just as some of us feared when Schreier leaked this quite a while ago, it’s a pretty unnecessary remake. I’m not getting this day one. Naughty Dogs resources could’ve been spent elsewhwhere.

EruditeHobo

Soo it’s ”just” a remake of TLOU similar to how Demon’s Souls and (arguably) Shadow of the Colossus was remade. Cool, cool, cool. I wish they just said that from the beginning instead of talking about gameplay improvements etc.
Instead of using words like ”improved” just use words like ”faithfully remade” and so on.

The video goes into considerable detail regarding the changes, which impact gameplay; that's what they were obviously referring to with the original statement... not whatever assumptions the board made about what "gameplay improvements" might look like.

Elginer

Graphically looks great but will wait for sale. I’ve beaten this on ps3 and ps4 and I cannot pay such a high price for this. If nothing else I hope this experiment has helped Naughty Dog expand their tools and make a new IP for PS five

Wow, these are some very substantial graphical improvements at least. Don't get me wrong, but I wonder if it's the 60 fps that gives the uncanny valley vibes? It makes the animations in the cutscenes look a little like that 48 fps Hobbit atrocity. For cutscenes I always prefer 30 fps to be honest, I love the cinematic look. Of course the framerate need to match between gameplay and cutscenes though but..

//DEVIL//

You don’t have a problem… you think you do but you don’t since it seems you already decided you are not going to buy it.
But you have a problem with other people enjoying the remake just because you are not going to. And that is sad. The people who are going to buy it and enjoy it really don’t care about all the reasons that may seem reasonable to you. I enjoyed the original game on PS3, I enjoyed the remaster when I bought my ps4 and most likely I will enjoy this remake of one of my most beloved games of all time. I do not think it is a waste of time nor resources I play the game at least once a year. I love it and this definitive version on ps consoles is most welcomed by me and many others.

The fact is that the game is almost here and if SIE AND ND profit on the remake and make a lot of fans happy the resources will have not been wasted. If the remake was unnecessary it is beside the point.
I did not call anyone who is gonna buy the game. obviously, it will sell shit tons too. which makes my original post more of a joke if anything since I am in the minority thinking this way ( hell if all GAF are like that we still a minority vs casual public )

my problem is with Sony and this stupid trend they are doing lately. not just this, even all their games on PC are full priced games as if they were being released day one. not a 4+ Years old game.

who is letting Sony get away with it? it's you and the rest of you who are willing to support this behavior.

I am not judging you or anyone for buying it again or 10 times too. your money. do whatever you want.
Nintendo does the exact same thing and they sell millions and millions of those games. Mario Kart 8 and Zelda Skyward example.

Not really. in terms of Mario Kart. the WII U was a dead system and Mario kart needed to be ported because it was / is still a masterpiece. so it did make sense. can't say the same when they released the last od us on a PS3 at the end of its life with millions and millions of user base, THEN again remastering it on PS4.. fine... now lets sell it for the third fucking time and we call it a remake this time.

Sony looking at their fans at this point as if we are fucking monkeys. nothing more.

As for Zelda you mentioned. how much was it on Switch again ? 70$ ? :)

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Well this is one big marketing fuck up and thanks to poor communication they allowed people imagination to run wild with stuff like: "TLOU2 gameplay!" or "enhanced exploration!".

They are now doing damage control and you can see phrases like "A faithful remake" and "faithfully reproduced" being used.

You knew from the start Sony, why are you fucking with us? I would buy it regardless since it's coming to PC for the first time.

Last edited:
Tlou 2 has proven the series is in a decline. Sales were worse, so likely not.

I think uncharted 2 would have been more exciting looking, especially since that style has more wow factor and tlou2 just came out and looks similar to TLOU1 remake
Worse?? Sell >10 millions in 2 years is worse?
Remember tlou 1 have 2 versions. That's why it got 20 millions. The ps3 version only at 4 millions.

Last edited:

It’s just as some of us feared when Schreier leaked this quite a while ago, it’s a pretty unnecessary remake. I’m not getting this day one. Naughty Dogs resources could’ve been spent elsewhere.

Updated:
+New textures for models
+Added environmental textures
+Enemy A.I.
+Enemy Pathing
+Enemy environmental interactions
+Environmental object physics
+Environmental damage
+Hundreds more new mocapped animations added for everything the player can think of when moving around and attacking NPCs
+Some lighting improvements in darker areas
+Accessibility options
+Speedrun mode
+New Gameplay tweaks

Some negatives:
-Level Geometry/Layout is still from the original PS3 version, which can make the new textures on top of that geometry look a bit too blocky and have sharper edges than they should. It's hard to describe but you'll see it in the video and it holds back the game from feeling next gen.
-Some of the old PS3 clothing geometry/meshes were reused and you can see this when an in-game character model twists their upper torso to the side and their jacket, hoodie, and shirt are all glued to their character model(like a PS3 game).
-Lighting looks off in well lit areas, which also hurts it a bit from feeling next gen. Before anyone quotes me, I don't mean darker or dimly lit areas like the hospital. That area looks impeccable. I mean the shots of Joel and Ellie exploring around outside areas in-game. It looks a bit flat.
-No gameplay overhaul to match TLOU 2's style.
-Potential negative(could happen): Them keeping Left Behind as a menu option instead of finding a better way to integrate it into the main game so that it's a cohesive experience.

Fredrik

Looks better here than in the leak that’s for sure. So is there a big drop in quality when playing in 60fps?

So the physics improvements - are they better than physics in most games is that why the graphics don’t look as good? Cus I can get behind that - like is shit fully destructible now?

Last edited:

Denton

Looks great, a shame gameplay mechanics were not expanded though. But I will get it on PC eventually for a fourth replay.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Difference is night and day.

No idea how people can say it's pretty much the same.

Graphics were never a problem. I'm playing PS4 remastered on PS5 and it looks fine. The gameplay and gameplay structure is a problem. I'm also playing TLOU2 on PS5 (for the first time) and let's face it, gameplay in the sequel is leagues ahead compared to the first game. Having the TLOU1 remake being a "faithful recreation" in terms of gameplay gameplay structure is not a good thing. That shit aged badly.

Ozriel

M$FT
I’ve never got around to playing TLOU before, so this is perfect for me. Easy preorder, even at $70

I question the sanity of anyone who has played this twice already paying $70 for playing what is essentially the same game, but visually upgraded, but to each their own 😂

Far easier to understand the Demons Souls remake - original release was niche as hell.

Top Bottom