• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I Rebuilt for PS5 - Features and Gameplay Trailer

ChiefDada

Gold Member
LMAO no motion matching!! No improved AI! Graphics are basically the same!!

nope.nope.nope.

Now its… this isnt TLoU3!

Ill buy this game again, I dont give a fuck about no 70 bucks. I would have bought a Xbox One and some gamepass if I did.

That being said… I rather play this back to back with Factions. I dont wanna scratch and itch then have to wait another year. I need to time my AAA Sony exclusives better.

If I had a dollar for every time someone begged for CPU destructible physics and AI... now we get a developer that is offering exactly that and all you hear is "blah blah blah cash grab":messenger_expressionless:

MikeM

LMAO no motion matching!! No improved AI! Graphics are basically the same!!

nope.nope.nope.

Now its… this isnt TLoU3!

Ill buy this game again, I dont give a fuck about no 70 bucks. I would have bought a Xbox One and some gamepass if I did.

That being said… I rather play this back to back with Factions. I dont wanna scratch and itch then have to wait another year. I need to time my AAA Sony exclusives better.
They said in the video that AI has been improved.

As for graphics being the same- you should get your eyes checked. Serious.

There are no meaningful gameplay enhancements.

I'm VERY excited to play this - but not at $70. This is a $40 title.
It needs to have this as a QTE for me to cough up $70

a8sim52qeh751.png

drezz

no mention of gyro or anything?
Yeah!
That should be easy as hell to port over from lou2.
Hopefully it is there, but maybe got overshadowed by other things, or they might have been afraid of "What ELSE?" from them mentioning lou2 gameplay coming back around.

If I had a dollar for every time someone begged for CPU destructible physics and AI... now we get a developer that is offering exactly that and all you hear is "blah blah blah cash grab":messenger_expressionless:
physics upgrades are it. I think they did a great job carrying over the art style too.

They said in the video that AI has been improved.

As for graphics being the same- you should get your eyes checked. Serious.
reread.

Damage control?
Yes they brought in everyone, edited this entire 10 minute video in less than 48 hours for damage control lmao.

Clearly they had this ready to release and were just waiting. The leak only made them release it faster.

Anyway, this is basically tlou 1 with Tlou2 visuals, AI, PS5 stuff. I'm all in.

People expecting different sets, etc were just wishing for things that would never happen anyway.

What's crazy is that in the past 2 years this studio released TLoU2, did work on Uncharted collection, did this entire thing for this remake, while doing Factions as well. In 2 years!

Elios83

Graphical upgrade is really generational compared to the PS4 remaster. It's at least TLOU2 level.
The concrete and glass breaking physics were super impressive.
Gameplay wise they confirm new advanced AI, motion matching animations, seamless transitions between cutscenes and gamaplay, same models in both cutscenes and gameplay plus full Dualsense and 3D audio support.
I think people who have not played it or longtime fans who want to play it again are in for a treat.
Personally I'm going to wait, I prefer to play new games in by backlog rather than playing the same game for the third time but this obviously looks great.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like shit, definitely not worth $70. It's just looks the same visual as TLOU2 with part 1 story. The laziest and most expensive remake ever from Sony.
They did say the remake is getting LoU2 gameplay improvements. So you'll have to take a guess at how much LoU2 game controls are implemented into the remake.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So they did add motion matching and enhanced AI but I honestly cant tell from the footage. This looks and feels worse than TLOU2 in every way.

Cutscenes look stunning and roughly on par with the TLOU2. Im not sure why the gameplay sections didnt get the same treatment. The PS5 should be able to do cutscene quality lighting.

drezz

oh burn, i guess.

one of the best games ever is somehow average now.
Story made it great!
MP took it even GREATER in terms of gameplay and universe building.
That part is gone, and the story has been told and expended upon with lou1 multiple times and lou2 just 2 years ago.

Its gameplay is still 10 years old, with some sprinkled addon's in the controller department(haptic, triggers,speaker(even ps4 remaster didnt use the speaker; as a shotgun pump) and handicap accesible).
We were lead on by "lou2 gameplay elemets" and that got us hyped... and fell flat on our faces.

Cant wait for the "Here we go again!" from Joel, when we see chest high cover in a small "ROOM".

angrod14

I loved everything I saw in the video, looked way better than the leaks fortunately. But it seems like the melee dodging mechanics from Part II won't be present. That would be a shame.

Bragr

Banned
Everyone here is always complaining about "graphics should never mean more than gameplay!", and then you eat this up. This is just the same burger with a new wrap.

I don't think we should applaud stuff we already played. Upgrading and enhancing games are cool, like the Mass Effect Trilogy, or the upcoming Witcher 3 upgrade, but this amount of effort to make the same thing? that already plays fine?

95% of people won't even notice the AI differences.

It looks great visually, but this was comically hyped up. As someone who played through the first game so many times, it frustrates me to look at this.

It looks great visually, but this was comically hyped up. As someone who played through the first game so many times, it frustrates me to look at this.
If by "comically hyped" you mean announced 3 months before release with a 2 minute trailer, before releasing this video less than 2 months before release then yea...it was hyped as fuck.

Last edited:

drezz

I’ll buy at $30, unbelievable visuals
Same
30-40 would be fine on PC to mod and play at even higher res&fps.
Give it the spiderman treatment with me being able to plug in my Duelsense™ and have a go at it this way.
Only unfortunate not being able to collect some thropies.

Midn1ght

People might have a point about the price tag but this game coming on PC for potentially millions who never played it is fantastic. This game deserves to be played by as many people as possible.

I think it looks gorgeous and will definitely buy it on Steam day one even after beating 4 times on PS3 and PS4 already.

drezz

People might have a point about the price tag but this game coming on PC for potentially millions who never played it is fantastic. This game deserves to be played by as many people as possible.

I think it looks gorgeous and will definitely buy it on Steam day one even after beating 4 times on PS3 and PS4 already.
I hyped lou1 a lot to my friends when I was younger, none of them have played it yet and are still playing PC.
I'll get them this as a christmast gift when it comes around(I mean.. it will come out then I hope?)
Only unfortunately there is no MP we could buddy up on, really upsetting.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I guess this just isn't for me. I thought there'd be a little bit more in gameplay than what they're doing. Didn't really have expectations, but in my mind this doesn't align with what they were saying.

Belthazar

Yeah... The new animations fell straight into uncanny valley for me. Sucks that ND went into hyper realistic graphics with their games, they had a very distinct artstyle with their PS3 games that is now lost.

Ellie's face looks specially creepy in those clips.

boomcrab

It's funny how naughty dog is seemingly using this franchise to become familiar with new hardware.
Personally I'd like to play the game again, but I was really hoping this video would showcase the improvements to combat and whatnot. Sure the game looks prettier, but honestly the remastered version was just fine as well.

Midn1ght

I hyped lou1 a lot to my friends when I was younger, none of them have played it yet and are still playing PC.
I'll get them this as a christmast gift when it comes around(I mean.. it will come out then I hope?)
Only unfortunately there is no MP we could buddy up on, really upsetting.
I doubt it’ll be release on PC this year. They have Spiderman in August, Miles Morales in Fall and supposedly Uncharted 4 this year as well (tho i feel it’ll be delayed to early next year).

I think TLOU will be second/third quarter 2023. I can be wrong of course.

Bragr

Banned
If by "comically hyped" you mean announced 3 months before release with a 2 minute trailer, before releasing this video less than 2 months before release then yea...it was hyped as fuck.
That people said it was gonna play and feel like TLOU2, and Druckman hyping it up, even in this trailer he's overhyping what they are showing. Granted, that's his job, but still, it's disappointing that Naughty Dog is building games for a TV show.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This put things into better perspective, but I still believe that it should've been 40-50 bucks instead of 70.

I also don't mind that they didn't add prone or the dodge mechanic. I think that should only appear in TLOU 2 and beyond. I felt the same way about Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2. I didn't want them to add certain features because it would take away things that made the original titles special.

drezz

I doubt it’ll be release on PC this year. They have Spiderman in August, Miles Morales in Fall and supposedly Uncharted 4 this year as well (tho i feel it’ll be delayed to early next year).

I think TLOU will be second/third quarter 2023. I can be wrong of course.
Might end up releasing after the series comes out? That would be a drag, but I guess it will get some "time" to drop in price for 2023 christmas sale then... Very sad if so.
Not to mention "Factions™" will start of roughly around Q3-Q4 next year... and if that is only on PS4-PS5 then... I'd be even more sad.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Seeeing people triggered by this is pretty hilarious. The upgrade looks pretty substantial.

I would lmao if this was nominated for GOTY. People on twitter would(or will) lose their shit .
Emilia Clarke Laughing GIF

Seeing people frothing at the mount like this is a massive upgrade is pretty hilarious. There is very little here that warrants a “remake” monikor or the price tag.

If this wasn’t nominated for GotY, y’all would be losing your shit.

It looks like a good game built for the ground up for the PS4 and then ported over to the PS5. Only enhancement I see may be for the destruction vs TLOU2.
Basically on par with TLOU2. Looks good of course but nothing earth shattering. Really didn't need a remaster, so a few years of dev time wasted.
Meh. Things like Demons Souls justify a remaster, which was a true PS3 game. TLOU was already remastered for PS4 and had much higher production qualities.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Is it doh?
The "Partner" might be, but as for enemy AI it seems less so.

"Our AI tech has increased incredibly, what we were building the basis off of was TLOU2 AI" (Matthew Gallent/Game Director)

"How enemies are communicating with each other, how they're chasing you and flanking you, it's so much more rewarding coming out of it from the other side" (Neil Druckmann/Co President).

Modern Family Idk GIF

//DEVIL//

the moment Sony has to create a trailer to try and convince fans this is not a money-grab title is the moment they knew they are a greedy ass company....

Edit : just so idiots don't jump on me for being a fanboy or troll or whatever, this is one of the best games ever released during the PS3 generation. my problem is paying 70$ for updated graphics for the same fucking game you can play for 10$ on PS4/PS5.

Its not even what the PS5 is capable off. this is just the first game running on part 2 engine. this is not a 70$ excuse. hell even part 2 is 20$

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
What a pathetic and sad discussion. I loved the first game but seriously, 2022 and a big discussion is about a mod. Fck me this hobby is so much more than one title, one name, one genre. Maybe actually check it out and play some games.

Matsuchezz

Cooool this trailers settles it. Day one for me. This is a Naughty dog game alright. Those leaks looked like ass. Got me worried for a minute then I was expecting this trailer to prove that ND knows better. There is a lot of people trying really hard to
Knock them down. Eager to play this and what is next from them. I know I am
Going to enjoy finishing the game several times again.

Last edited:
Does this debunk the leaked footage?
No, it confirms what was shown in the leak. They didn't add the improvements from Part 2, they just improved the graphics and AI.

I think people just need to move on......

Wait until the game is discounted or buy a used copy or just don't buy it.... its that simple.

Jim wants all AAA PS5 first party games to be $70 no matter what value the game has to offer and it is what it is. But I think once MS can get their shit together and turn things around with Game pass, Sony is going to get a wake up call.

Last edited:
the moment Sony has to create a trailer to try and convince fans this is not a money-grab title is the moment they knew they are a greedy ass company....

Edit : just so idiots don't jump on me for being a fanboy or troll or whatever, this is one of the best games ever released during the PS3 generation. my problem is paying 70$ for updated graphics for the same fucking game you can play for 10$ on PS4/PS5.

Its not even what the PS5 is capable off. this is just the first game running on part 2 engine. this is not a 70$ excuse. hell even part 2 is 20$
Go play the $10 version then.

drezz

How enemies are communicating with each other, how they're chasing you and flanking you
While showing the exact same thing happening at the car crash scene(ps3), where the planker comes from your side and a revolver guy advances twoards the entrance, as orignally scripted.
AI showcased in the Leaked footage are more telling then what was shown in the trailer.
Call out was in ps3 version as well, in lou2 they called out to each other more often and had names which would be yelled out as you pick them off in different ways.

Edit:
Not to say the AI isnt improved, the PS3 AI was very bad

Last edited:
Top Bottom