• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I |OT| You know Ellie, we really are worth 70 dollars

kyliethicc

Part I changes I’ve noticed

running in Part 2 engine, new art, tech, effects, etc

remade character models, matching Part 2

remade environments, matching Part 2

some levels have been changed

Jerry is now the Firefly doctor at the end of Part 1

enemy NPCs have more unique costumes, less repetition

uses Part 2 style enemy & companion AI

difficulty options & gameplay mods like Part 2

permadeath & speedrun modes

menus, UI, HUD from Part 2

controls from Part 2 (R1 quick swap)

accessibility options from Part 2

lots of new extras (skins, models, etc)

new trophy list

break glass from Part 2

Joel & others have new motion matching animations

Ellie’s animation & breathing from Part 2 is used when playing as her

sprint fade from Part 2

weapon aiming & effects from Part 2

workbenches from Part 2

manual pistol hammer cocking from Part 2

health bars & other items now match Part 2

remade collectibles, artifacts

updated shiv models

updated Infected from Part 2 (stalkers)

Ellie holds her bow & arrow like she does in Part 2

Tommy has his rifle from Part 2

Marlene & other Fireflies have the pistol that Abby uses in Part 2

Maria carries a similar rifle as Dina & Jesse use in Part 2

Joel’s revolver (upgraded) matches his revolver in Part 2 that Ellie takes

hatchet model is updated, uses a model from Part 2

Ellie & Joel’s bows are now distinct diff weapons visually too

Bill’s machete model matches one from Part 2

Joel (Part 1) & Abby (Part 2) use similar model flamethrowers

nail bomb & smoke bomb (Part 1) use the same effects as trap mine & smoke bomb (Part 2)

Last edited:

GymWolf

new trophy list

break glass from Part 2

sprint fade from Part 2

workbenches from Part 2

updated shiv models

Ellie & Joel’s bows are now separate weapons

Thanks mr speedwagon.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It works fine but there's a huge loss in detail between the fidelity and performance modes. Why couldn't they get a higher res at 60 on ps5 considering how the graphical improvement over Part 2 us relatively minor?

I agree DRS should be implemented. But no, the graphical improvements are not minor. For those who have spent a significant time with Pt. 1, I implore you to jump back into Pt. 2 as I did last night and notice a few key lighting tech advancements.

Notice how interiors with natural light from sun have very little bounce light. I chalk this up to PS4 limited memory with so much precomputed light data to stream in. You will notice especially in these areas how Ellie/Abbie character model is always lit; effectively the player is always a light source for themselves and the surrounding environment.

There are a number of reasons as to why this isn't ideal:

First, player character model always looks so soft and out of place especially in comparison to Pt. 1. Note that this is also an issue in Horizon Forbidden West hence the hero lighting applied to her as well. In HFW case, everything is so damn vibrant they need to do this, still has awful visual drawbacks.

Second, it is significantly breaks immersion. It frankly looks very silly to see a dark corner suddenly become illuminated because you walked towards it.

In Pt. 1 Remake, not only do they have enough memory and streaming capability on PS5 to have significantly higher quality indirect lighting for indoor environments, but they also have enough compute power to ditch technique of having the player character be a moving light source, with the flashlight being able to produce enough bounce lighting in real-time to appropriately illuminate areas as needed. Again, this is why framerate tanks when turn on your camera and move around the environment. Don't believe me? Go run the game uncapped 120hz and see performance dip 20-25%.

Don't have time to record video from Pt. 1 but this shot illustrates how the fixed lighting is completely abandoned, resulting much hire realism for the entire scene.

xwugruE.jpg

So for those saying the remake could have been made for PS4, please just stop. PS4 does not have the memory or compute performance to incorporate the "minor" changes implemented in Pt.1

NXGamer NXGamer , I would have loved for you to cover this topic in greater detail. It makes such a difference considering the game's environmental setting

Last edited:

Justin9mm

new trophy list

break glass from Part 2

sprint fade from Part 2

workbenches from Part 2

updated shiv models

nail bomb & smoke bomb (Part 1) use the same effects as trap mine & smoke bomb (Part 2)
But everyone is telling me its just a remaster, the exact same game just with higher resolution! How dare they not give me this patch upgrade for free!

Gotta say that even as good as TLOU1 looks I went back to play Uncharted 4 in 4k and wow that game is even more impressive.

The resolution really is a big factor with the high quality assets/textures.

Justin9mm

Gotta say that even as good as TLOU1 looks I went back to play Uncharted 4 in 4k and wow that game is even more impressive.

The resolution really is a big factor with the high quality assets/textures.
Is it 40fps in fidelity @ 120hz? I was playing the PS5 version before Last of Us in performance mode, I tried in 4K for a very short period of time but it didn't look any more impressive.. Maybe I should check again.

Justin9mm

This guy is an idiot for not being able to form his own opinions. Naughty Dog doesn't do anything in halves, if you knew/played the game and had any ounce of knowledge of ND and the industry, you would know not to listen to the cancerous opinions of the internet and realise it is not some lazy remake or what some people believe is just a remaster/port to PS5.

People are just butthurt over price and probably didn't even play or finish the game back in the day. People also just love to hate on Last of Us. This forum and social media are full of filthy casuals.

tommib

I think it really depends on the game. Can’t imagine stuff like Bayonetta, Returnal, Metroid Prime/Dread, Quake in 30 fps. Having said that I played RE4 on GameCube at 30 fps and never thought about it. One of the most revolutionary gaming experiences ever. I don’t know.

I just wish we could have Part 1 at 60 fps during gameplay and an option to switch the cutscenes to 4K/30. Why aren’t devs doing this? These cutscenes look so much better at native 4K and I find the 60 fps during cutscenes always a bit jarring. I’ve been switching between the modes during gameplay/cutscenes but I wish this was an option for automatic switching.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I think it really depends on the game. Can’t imagine stuff like Bayonetta, Returnal, Metroid Prime/Dread, Quake in 30 fps. Having said that I played RE4 on GameCube at 30 fps and never thought about it. One of the most revolutionary gaming experiences ever. I don’t know.

I just wish we could have Part 1 at 60 fps during gameplay and an option to switch the cutscenes to 4K/30. Why aren’t devs doing this? These cutscenes look so much better at native 4K and I find the 60 fps during cutscenes always a bit jarring. I’ve been switching between the modes during gameplay/cutscenes but I wish this was an option for automatic switching.
I wouldn’t mind a switch for cutscenes, probably. It’s noticeable in a game like Metroid Dread which does exactly that, but it didn’t bother me.

And yes I can get used to 30FPS, I played through Part II on a base PS4 and was around for the first 3D consoles, or even Star Fox on SNES which hits like 15. But given a choice…?

Last edited:

new trophy list

break glass from Part 2

sprint fade from Part 2

workbenches from Part 2

updated shiv models

Also, i don't know if you guys noticed, the old biggot sandwich guy from TLOU2 is in Part 1, when Joel and Ellie reach the place where Tommy and Maria are. He's one of the guys that point the guns at Joel and Ellie at first.

Nice touch tbh.

SCB3

ok I jumped in, I blame some reviews and comparisons

But this time straight in on Grounded and man the AI is making this good/hard, only up to the part where you meet Ellie but you have to be on top of your game here

Hugare

I agree DRS should be implemented. But no, the graphical improvements are not minor. For those who have spent a significant time with Pt. 1, I implore you to jump back into Pt. 2 as I did last night and notice a few key lighting tech advancements.

Notice how interiors with natural light from sun have very little bounce light. I chalk this up to PS4 limited memory with so much precomputed light data to stream in. You will notice especially in these areas how Ellie/Abbie character model is always lit; effectively the player is always a light source for themselves and the surrounding environment.

There are a number of reasons as to why this isn't ideal:

First, player character model always looks so soft and out of place especially in comparison to Pt. 1. Note that this is also an issue in Horizon Forbidden West hence the hero lighting applied to her as well. In HFW case, everything is so damn vibrant they need to do this, still has awful visual drawbacks.

Second, it is significantly breaks immersion. It frankly looks very silly to see a dark corner suddenly become illuminated because you walked towards it.

In Pt. 1 Remake, not only do they have enough memory and streaming capability on PS5 to have significantly higher quality indirect lighting for indoor environments, but they also have enough compute power to ditch technique of having the player character be a moving light source, with the flashlight being able to produce enough bounce lighting in real-time to appropriately illuminate areas as needed. Again, this is why framerate tanks when turn on your camera and move around the environment. Don't believe me? Go run the game uncapped 120hz and see performance dip 20-25%.

Don't have time to record video from Pt. 1 but this shot illustrates how the fixed lighting is completely abandoned, resulting much hire realism for the entire scene.

xwugruE.jpg

So for those saying the remake could have been made for PS4, please just stop. PS4 does not have the memory or compute performance to incorporate the "minor" changes implemented in Pt.1

NXGamer NXGamer , I would have loved for you to cover this topic in greater detail. It makes such a difference considering the game's environmental setting

xTiiXXL.png

PS3 better than PS4 confirmed

Please stop, man. DF already confirmed that Part I is using the exact same tech from Part II

I'm working right now, but I bet that I could easily pick some screen where Joel "glows" in Part I

It happens in every game that doesnt have a fully ray traced GI sollution

You've been spreading missinformation about this game's tech for many pages now

ChiefDada

Gold Member
xTiiXXL.png

PS3 better than PS4 confirmed

Please stop, man. DF already confirmed that Part I is using the exact same tech from Part II

I'm working right now, but I bet that I could easily pick some screen where Joel "glows" in Part I

It happens in every game that doesnt have a fully ray traced GI sollution

You've been spreading missinformation about this game's tech for many pages now

Nice try, doofus.

Here is the timestamped video clip from the same source you got your screenshot from. PS3 obviously didn't have hardware for indirect lighting. Areas go from brightness from direct lights, to complete darkness where indirect lighting should be. You can see this in first 2 seconds as Joel passes through an area with complete absence of light, yet his backside remains vibrant, and the inconsistency continues throughout the scene.

And if DF didn't discuss the tech used in TLOU Pt.1 with Naughty Dog then they didn't confirm shit.

Hugare

Nice try, doofus.

Here is the timestamped video clip from the same source you got your screenshot from. PS3 obviously didn't have hardware for indirect lighting. Areas go from brightness from direct lights, to complete darkness where indirect lighting should be. You can see this in first 2 seconds as Joel passes through an area with complete absence of light, yet his backside remains vibrant, and the inconsistency continues throughout the scene.

And if DF didn't discuss the tech used in TLOU Pt.1 with Naughty Dog then they didn't confirm shit.

Moving goalposts, as always

Was just trying to show you how silly you look by cherry picking scenes from Part II to prove your point that Part I has better lighting.

It's the same fucking tech. You'll see characters "glowing" in dark areas in Part I too due to their GI system being baked, not dynamic.

Do you think the lighting on Joel and Tess makes sense here?

9qGc5dw.png

Oh sure sure, we shouldnt trust DF , but people should trust your opinion.

The guy that tried to claim that the game was using ray tracing on reflections

The game has better textures than Part II, even models for some characters, but not lighting. It's the same fucking tech

Last edited:

SCB3

I will admit, this game captures the look of 2013 really well with the tech and room layouts and furniture from back then, it has the right kind of atmosphere that is sorely missing from 2

Last edited:

GymWolf

I will admit, this game captures the look of 2013 really well with the tech and room layouts and furniture from back then, it has the right kind of atmosphere that is sorely missing from 2
Aren't furniture and tech exactly the same since no one has made new stuff since the infection?

Also how is badly veiled tps arena room layout better than tlou2 modern and more natural level design?

Nostalgia goggles much?

SCB3

Aren't furniture and tech exactly the same since no one has made new stuff since the infection?

Also how is badly veiled tps arena room layout better than tlou2 modern and more natural level design?

Nostalgia goggles much?
What I mean is that we lived through 2013 and used its tech, so when we get to Part 2, its been what 10 years? So our frame of reference for tech and the world is vastly different to what the same year is in Part 2 so it kinda feels off in a lot of ways, its hard to pin down

Also I never mentioned gameplay, I actually liked 2's a lot, I mean the layouts of rooms as in how rooms back in 2013 looked

GymWolf

What I mean is that we lived through 2013 and used its tech, so when we get to Part 2, its been what 10 years? So our frame of reference for tech and the world is vastly different to what the same year is in Part 2 so it kinda feels off in a lot of ways, its hard to pin down

Also I never mentioned gameplay, I actually liked 2's a lot, I mean the layouts of rooms as in how rooms back in 2013 looked
Lol my bad i got it wrong.

To me the rooms always looked like generic post apocalyptic zombie movie and never really noticed the layout difference between 1 and 2.

Not even sure how a 2013 room is supposed to look tbh.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Was just trying to show you how silly you look by cherry picking scenes from Part II to prove your point that Part I has better lighting

I'm not cherry picking. Ellie always looks like this during gameplay.

The guy that tried to claim that the game was using ray tracing on reflections

Prove this or STFU. I argued for a strong possibility of RT reflections. I also said they could be using super high quality cubemaps that exceeded PS4 quality, which digital foundry confirmed. But of course you don't want to remember this.

By definition, the reflection is NOT SSR. And if by chance it is a take on cubemap implementation, then it is a generational leap in quality and then some.

From Oliver, DF:
"I do get the impression that the PS5 is not being pushed to the level of visual fidelity beyond TLOU2 with the exception of a few key areas... the cubemaps are very well aligned in TLOU2, but they aren't very high resolution, whereas these cubemaps are extremely high res.

This is gaming and tech forum. If you are choosing to chastise people for making educated and reasonable hypotheses based on limited information, then that's your choice to be a dumbass.

Hugare

I'm not cherry picking. Ellie always looks like this during gameplay.

Prove this or STFU. I argued for a strong possibility of RT reflections. I also said they could be using super high quality cubemaps that exceeded PS4 quality, which digital foundry confirmed. But of course you don't want to remember this.

From Oliver, DF:

This is gaming and tech forum. If you are choosing to chastise people for making educated and reasonable hypotheses based on limited information, then that's your choice to be a dumbass.

You know that "high resolution cubemaps" has anything to do with what you tried showing about lighting, right?

Higher resolution while using the same tech. Same for textures, models and etc.

Also from that same Oliver quote:

"I do get the impression that the PS5 is not being pushed to the level of visual fidelity beyond TLOU2"

Enough said

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You know that "high resolution cubemaps" has anything to do with what you tried showing about lighting, right?

Apparently, too stupid isn't stupid enough for you. It was YOU who brought up my past suggestion of RT usage. Which is why I followed up with the response discussing PS4 vs PS5 cubemap implementation. Either keep up or STFU.

Hugare

Doing a few print screens from the old dusty remaster is the way to go for these comparisons for sure. GG
Just to point out how dumb this cherry picking can be

Apparently, too stupid isn't stupid enough for you. It was YOU who brought up my past suggestion of RT usage. Which is why I followed up with the response discussing PS4 vs PS5 cubemap implementation. Either keep up or STFU.
Yes, brought up to show how you can just throw shit around to generate missinformation

Just like you did just now, by saying that lighting improvements arent minor, then explaining how its due to PS4 limited memory, and how it's now possible due to PS5 hardware and its streaming capability, and whatever mumbo jumbo you are able to pull from your ass.

When in reality, it's the same tech. And the cherry picked video from Part II can be replicated in Part I (as seen on my previous post)

BVqWxDI.png

"Ellie always look like this during gameplay"

You see Ellie "glowing" here? Yeah? Me neither

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Hugare last week claiming models and textures only looked better because of 4k output resolution.

And before you put some Part II models comparisons that I've seen floating around: Part II doesnt run at 4K, it runs at 1440p. Seems better due to the higher resolution, but again, they aint different.

Hugare today:

The game has better textures than Part II, even models for some characters, but not lighting.

You change with the wind, goofy. But you're almost there; next week you're scheduled to agree on the topic of lighting so we can drop this conversation until then.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I am just going to run around The Office for five minutes when I get to that part. So cool. I don't know what it is about The Office that is so god damn loveable and I don't even really need to know. When you love something, don't question it, I guess.

Anyway, how is New Game Plus? I was looking forward to playing through the campaign with the assault rifle, on perma-death mode. It's too bad you can't upgrade the assault rifle, but still cool.

Also, they should give us an unlockable Joel costume featuring the gas mask. I want to be paranoid-Joel.

Hugare

Hugare last week claiming models and textures only looked better because of 4k output resolution.

Hugare today:

You change with the wind, goofy. But you're almost there; next week you're scheduled to agree on the topic of lighting so we can drop this conversation until then.
I was talking about models on that post that you quoted, and I stand by it: they seem better due to the higher resolution.

Dont think that Joel model is better than Part II. It just has more detail due to being rendered in 4K instead of 1080/1440p

But since some people are so confident that it's better, maybe it is? Won't say that I'm sure about it

The only real improvement that I've seen in Part I are textures, imo

And you've completed ignored my screenshot from Part I showing that the lighting difference is bullshit, huh? For many posts now

But let's stop derailing this thread. I think we both have shown enough examples and etc. to prove our point. Let's just agree to disagree

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Kinda off-topic, but playing this remake has me hyped to replay Part II again

Man I do wish they had implemented more of these mechanics in Part I. Part I is an absolute masterpiece from a narrative perspective, but mechanics are kinda basic and II is actually just more fun to play.

Also I’m really enjoying Left Behind having never played it before. Credit where it’s due, this remake has me using my PS5 more than I have in months.

VRR mode changes the color depth profile for me (lg CX) to 4:2:2 I believe. Couldn’t really tell a difference, so I went with higher fps. Anyone notice a difference?

I was never really impressed with the PS4 era remaster’s visuals, but this PS5 version feels so much better. Just wish they didn’t remove factions, otherwise i would have bought it instead of rent. Hopefully the next factions isn’t another $70 cash grab too.

SCB3

Playing through this on Grounded really makes it a much different game, it’s hard but fair mostly (clickers don’t seem to be as “Blind” as they make out) and dying in 1 or 2 hits really makes you think

I will say though, I’m impressed with the Dual Sense and 3D audio stuff here (using the Pulse headphones) and it’s helping a lot in sections

Only up to the Capital Building so I know there’s a lot more to come but it’s been enjoyable seeing this in a new light

The one negative I guess I have is there is a lot of times where there are rooms that are just there for show, I’m not expecting resources all over on Grounded especially, but they feel like they’re wasting my time by even looking sometimes when most of the best resources are behind shiv doors or next to benches, it makes me question if there is even a point to searching drawers at all

Last edited:
Top Bottom