• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last fo Us Part I Remake for PC | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
The-Last-of-Us-Part-1-2-1024x577.jpg

Game Information:

Game Title: The Last Of Us Part I

Genre: Action-adventure, third person shooter, survival, post-apocalyptic, thriller, remake

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (September 6, 2022)
  • PC March 28, 2023

Media:

Developer: Naughty Dog Info

Developer's HQ: Santa Monica, California, USA

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Price:
  • Standard - $69.99 USD
  • Digital Deluxe - $79.99 USD | contents
  • FireFly Edition - $99.99 USD | contents

Review Aggregator :

MetaCritic: 56 Average - 6 Reviews

JdebvGk.jpg

Gamestar - 77/100
The elaborate remaster ensures that The Last of Us loses almost none of its original magic even ten years later
Multiplayer.it - 70/100
The watchword is optimization, and it is a concept that those who edited the PC version of The Last of Us Part 1 would do well to review
Worth Playing - 50/100
This should have been a victory lap for the PC iteration of The Last of Us: Part I. From the gameplay to the characters to the story, this is one of the highlights of the past few gaming generations. The appearance on the PC should've given the game even more room to show off things like higher-quality textures and reflections along with Sony's now-standard ultrawide support. Yet the game's ability to only work with reduced risk after waiting for an abnormally long time for shader caching mars the release. The game crashes, frequent pauses in gameplay and other nonsensical bugs put into question the decision to release this despite the obvious issues. There's a chance that this will recover via patches and the game can bounce back. For now, it is sad to see that one of Sony's best games has received one of the worst PC ports thus far.
Gameblog.fr - 50/100
In its current state it is a deluge of bugs and optimization problems. Despite this, the game is sublime.
Gamereactor UK - 50/100
If you are one of those gamers who have been waiting and waiting and waiting to experience this unanimously acclaimed masterpiece for your PC, you should of course absolutely wait, or refrain from this completely
We Got This Covered - 20/100
Sony has impressed with their recent PC ports, but something has gone awry with 'The Last of Us Part 1'. This is of the most highly regarded franchises in gaming, but this port is a buggy mess that crashes constantly and requires hours of set-up before playing. Avoid until major patches arrive, and even then, you should remain skeptical

Ratings seem a little high.

I do feel bad because people will be blind sided. But the game isn't nearly in line with PC tastes unlike their other ports. It would have been interesting to see that reaction, but now the focus is on performance.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
ND really fucked this up. This was all in-house development. Maybe they should have let another dedicated studio do the port.

Gaiff

PC gaming has gone backwards. We're back to the quality of ports that was common in the early and pre-PS360 era. The 8th gen largely saw great PC ports that were much better than their console counterparts from day one. Since the new gen began (perhaps before?) we saw the quality of ports decrease every year. It's damn near impossible to find a AAA game on PC that doesn't have major issues on the first day.

Absolutely crazy.

Hoddi

ND really fucked this up. This was all in-house development. Maybe they should have let another dedicated studio do the port.
I blame nvidia for releasing an 8GB GPU in 2020. People just believed their sales pitch because they didn't know better.

Last edited:
I blame nvidia for releasing an 8GB GPU in 2020. People just believed their sales pitch because they didn't know better.
It's not Nvidias fault you can't optimize your games for common PC hardware. Could always use sampler feedback streaming if VRAM was an issue in your game.. oh but that takes work huh, it's easier to just blame blame Nvidia huh.

k_trout

now that I fixed the crashing by disabling "Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling" I'm loving it, and I only have 8gig vram, so go figure
what a great game, deserves all the love

Hoddi

It's not Nvidias fault you can't optimize your games for common PC hardware. Could always use sampler feedback streaming if VRAM was an issue in your game.. oh but that takes work huh, it's easier to just blame blame Nvidia huh.
Yes, I'm sure they could 'just use sampler feedback' because nobody had ever thought of that.

Maybe the Naughty Dog engine doesn't support it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
now that I fixed the crashing by disabling "Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling" I'm loving it, and I only have 8gig vram, so go figure
what a great game, deserves all the love
I did this and my in game vram usage went up by 400 mb. Also try turning off windows color transparency effects and set dwm.exe as lower priority in windows settings. You can find its location by right clicking on the detail column of the taskbar.

I got it to come down from 800 mb to just 300 mb by making those changes above. Credit to yamaci17 yamaci17

yamaci17

I did this and my in game vram usage went up by 400 mb. Also try turning off windows color transparency effects and set dwm.exe as lower priority in windows settings. You can find its location by right clicking on the detail column of the taskbar.

I got it to come down from 800 mb to just 300 mb by making those changes above. Credit to yamaci17 yamaci17
Make sure to disable animated avatar and frames also. they can also incur a CPU bound performance penalty (little gear at the upper right). this is legit lowkey the reason some people get better cpu performance with pirated versions, lmao. I contacted steam about this stuff but they didn't seem to care. their software, if unchecked, can both gobble up vram and cpu resources in a quick fashion. this is especially the case if you have shitload of friends like me (upwards of 250+) that likes these fancy animated avatars. it was pure luck one day I noticed a whopping %5-7 CPU usage coming from steam. in hindsight, even if you have a super highend high core/thread CPU, you never want multiple programs racing for CPU/cache resources. it still impacts performance in unexpected ways

S6cTNN6.png

Bartski

Gold Member
This is irreversible damage for a studio with such a track record and rank among SIE, giving them free rein and endless budgets. They could have delayed it further, but clearly wanted to push it out the door in sync with HBO finale and ride that wave. What seemed like a masterstroke call in growing the franchise turned out a complete PR disaster and erosion of trust across the board. I hope it gives them something to think about planning their multiplatform strategy down the road

dEvAnGeL

This is irreversible damage for a studio with such a track record and rank among SIE, giving them free rein and endless budgets. They could have delayed it further, but clearly wanted to push it out the door in sync with HBO finale and ride that wave. What seemed like a masterstroke call in growing the franchise turned out a complete PR disaster and erosion of trust across the board. I hope it gives them something to think about planning their multiplatform strategy down the road
This will do nothing to ND. Absolutely nothing. Their fan base is on PS. Once the port is fixed, people will start praising the game for how amazing it is and that would be the end of the irreversible damage you speak of.

Hot5pur

Maybe it's part of a broader Sony plan to show PC gamers the added risk of waiting for exclusives to be ported to PC, to push them to console for the "better" experience.

Half joking. It seems this is a pretty bad look for Sony and ND and people will undoubtedly be smarter about pre-ordering and waiting for reviews. Or they will just forget and keep giving these companies the benefit of the doubt.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just think how big this release should be on the back of the TV show. How many sales it should get. How it should be a competent release.

absolutely disgraceful handling of this. Incompetence from ND and Sony. They should be ashamed. This is worse than any ubisoft launch. Or battlefield. Stick to playstation Sony and ND until you figure this shit out.

Yes, I'm sure they could 'just use sampler feedback' because nobody had ever thought of that.

Maybe the Naughty Dog engine doesn't support it.
The naughty dog engine didn't support PC that's the point they had to make changes for this port to happen and that's totally normal what's not normal is the awful quality of the software development of this games. Turns out it takes effort for devs to write quality software, huh.

april6e

I think I'm just going to play this on PS5. The graphics seems almost the same without the performance problems. It's annoying because I specifically waited for the PC version and it's a dumpster fire.

Hoddi

The naughty dog engine didn't support PC that's the point they had to make changes for this port to happen and that's totally normal what's not normal is the awful quality of the software development of this games. Turns out it takes effort for devs to write quality software, huh.
Porting a game to a new rendering API is a completely different thing to what you're asking for. SFS isn't just some magical DLL that you drop into the game folder but a complete reworking of how the game handles textures. It even needs its own texture format and the textures all need to be square.

And who says it would even solve anything? The average modern framebuffer is like 25% textures and 75% buffers, render targets, and geometry. And if the engine supported better texture streaming then they would also have used it on PS5 so you'd stuck in the same place anyway.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Buggy Loop

Bought on this steam sale since the game never seem to go under 33% anyway

Performance is stellar so far on a 3080 Ti, they’ve made the work to optimize it. I’m sure there’s a limit or something that could probably say a 4090 chokes but it performs >100 fps most of the time for me on ultrawide 1440p and all settings I could find on ultra.

Top Bottom