• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of All Downloadable Games Duke Nukem 3D XBLA Official Thread

Nocebo

voltron said:
Games like this make me sad. Im playing it and memories of when I was 14/15/16 come flooding back. I was a different person... less cynical, tears
Yeah, same here. :lol

Rlan

Still absolutely a fantastic game to play. All those great times of me playing this game are flooding back.

What I had forgotten was just how story driven the game was for the time. I mean, this is 1996 - the same year as Quake, and Quake practically has no story whatsoever - it's level to level. While Duke is simply "Aliens are here", everything goes from level to level seamlessly. You go from the elevator to starting in an elevator, you get captured and find yourself in the 'chair', find the end in the submarine, and you begin in the sub in the next level.

And it's so well thought out. You can change all the controls to your whim [I've found switching Y for "ducking" to Left Click works quite well], you can have the game show your metascore, the amount of hidden places you've found, and enemies to kill in a new HUD piece.

Good fucking work 3D Realms.

Now where's my Monster Bash XBLA port?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Rlan said:
Still absolutely a fantastic game to play. All those great times of me playing this game are flooding back.

What I had forgotten was just how story driven the game was for the time. I mean, this is 1996 - the same year as Quake, and Quake practically has no story whatsoever - it's level to level. While Duke is simply "Aliens are here", everything goes from level to level seamlessly. You go from the elevator to starting in an elevator, you get captured and find yourself in the 'chair', find the end in the submarine, and you begin in the sub in the next level.

And it's so well thought out. You can change all the controls to your whim [I've found switching Y for "ducking" to Left Click works quite well], you can have the game show your metascore, the amount of hidden places you've found, and enemies to kill in a new HUD piece.

Good fucking work 3D Realms.

Now where's my Monster Bash XBLA port?

Ditto to all this!

I just got uncapped and it's downloading now, add me VOOK if you wish to play!

Roxas

Annihilator said:
So hows the online play? I've been reading on a couple of forums its really laggy??

Its not so bad. The problem im having is that some of my kills aren't registering. Anyone else having this problem?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Good Lord this game is fun - my first Duke experience despite being a huge PC gamer back in the Wolfenstein, DOOM, Prince of Persia, Quake, Unreal Tournament, and GTA 2D days...

I lost myself in the two levels of the demo, and reliving those days with the tons of hidden rooms and level designs... the game still looks great, plays excellent especially since I could set my sensitivity to the max like any other game on the 360 of course, but on top of that, every single button was fully customizable to my liking - awesome.

And on top of that, it has replays (which is really well-done when you die BTW) plus I can download and play other people's replays, even in 3rd person?

And 8-player co-op?

Yeah, this is getting bought tomorrow - I need to pick up points first, the only thing keeping me back right now...

P.S.: How could I forget the Duke's lines every now and then? "Come get some!"

Skilotonn said:
Good Lord this game is fun - my first Duke experience despite being a huge PC gamer back in the Wolfenstein, DOOM, Prince of Persia, Quake, Unreal Tournament, and GTA 2D days...

I lost myself in the two levels of the demo, and reliving those days with the tons of hidden rooms and level designs... the game still looks great, plays excellent especially since I could set my sensitivity to the max like any other game on the 360 of course, but on top of that, every single button was fully customizable to my liking - awesome.

And on top of that, it has replays (which is really well-done when you die BTW) plus I can download and play other people's replays, even in 3rd person?

And 8-player co-op?

Yeah, this is getting bought tomorrow - I need to pick up points first, the only thing keeping me back right now...

P.S.: How could I forget the Duke's lines every now and then? "Come get some!"

8 player co-op is awesome, but what we really need to find out is if it works. after getting burned on castle crashers (other games as well just the most recent and most disappointing). I'm not buying any more xbla games until I know the multiplayer works.

epmode

I'd buy this even if the multiplayer mode autoformatted the HDD. The single-player mode is still awesome. God I love Duke.

Re: DNF
FOR

Kydd BlaZe

Dl'd it this morning with little to no thought at all. Loving the hell out of it so far. Never played it back in the day.

Enjoying it but.... is anyone else feeling a bit nauseous after playing for a while? I'm feeling similar to how Marathon Durandal made me feel (but not as bad...damn that game made me ill)

TekunoRobby said:
Ahh jesus. Game release days are torture for me. I'm going to have to wait until I get off of work to even play. I guess I'll be reading impressions all day. Don't let me down GAF!

Same here bruvuh. Todays going to be extra long since im picking up Brothers in Arms and looking forward to d/ling duke nukem after work.

Wii too

Neo Member
I haven't found an answer to this yet, but will Duke allow more than one person to play co-op on the same Xbox (a la Doom 2)? Online co-op is great, but I'd prefer this option as well. I haven't seen any screenshots confirming this, however.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Duke Nukem 3d IGN XBLA Review

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/912/912198p2.html

Closing Comments
Duke Nukem 3D is yet another classic release that makes a wonderful conversion onto Xbox Live Arcade. Some might be put off by its convoluted, old school level design and predictably unattractive appearance but there’s no doubt that it’s one of the fathers of the most popular genre in our industry. Toss in the new age additions like online co-op and a replay editor and most will find this to be more than a simple trip down memory lane.
IGN Ratings for Duke Nukem 3D (X360)
Rating Description See Our Glorious Home Theater Setup!
out of 10 click here for ratings guideGet Ratings Information
7.0 Presentation
Classic until the end. Those who played the original will recognize everything in the game. 4:3 ratio is disappointing.
4.5 Graphics
Identical to the original which is to say it's downright ugly by today's standards. Some effects are impressive considering when they were first developed.
7.0 Sound
Duke is hilarious and the sound effects fit the bill. Music is a little on the boring side.
8.5 Gameplay
It pioneered several of the mechanics that FPS games use today and did so very well. Fun gameplay that is tougher, and therefore more rewarding than today’s variety, shines. Cool multiplayer.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
The replay editor’s functionality is great and the co-op adds a lot if you can find the right mix of players.

Final Score: 8.5, Editors Choice Award

Sectus

I haven't been able to try coop yet, but based on dukematch the netcode seems to be doing its job quite well. Movement is completely client-side predicted but everything else seems to not be (firing is always delayed based on your ping to the host). I think it's quite similar to many older PC games like Quake 3 and UT. Fully playable if you have a low ping, and slightly annoying if your ping is high but still playable.

Having Halo 3-style matchmaking and replays feels so weird considering how old this game is. Replays is probably my favourite addition to this version. The original had replays too, but it was a hassle to record and manage them.

Even cooler is that the leaderboards for each level has replays for the 10 best players. While watching those replays you can even start playing at any time!

Rewinding after dying in singleplayer feels a bit like cheating though. And I got a feeling it'll make playing for scores pointless as it's so much easier to get a perfect run in a level by just rewinding each time you do a mistake.

Matchmaking is neat and everything but... 2 levels? Is there really only levels in the free-for-all playlists? And one of those levels (stadium) is absolutely awful and is complete chaos (the level is basically just a big open box). The second level is the very first level in the game, and despite being designed for singleplayer it's rather fun in multiplayer. All those windows and secrets make for some cunning ambushes.

But why the heck didn't they just add a few dukematch levels to the game? The original shipped with an easy-to-use level editor and I'm sure they could have easily found or created a few awesome multiplayer levels to add to the game.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I haven't played Duke3D for about 10 years. Played through the first two levels, and it still feels fresh and fun to play. I was grinning ear-to-ear finding secrets that I'd thought I'd long forgotten about. Awesome game!

Teknoman

Coin Return said:
I haven't played Duke3D for about 10 years. Played through the first two levels, and it still feels fresh and fun to play. I was grinning ear-to-ear finding secrets that I'd thought I'd long forgotten about. Awesome game!

lol I went straight to all the secrets in level 1 and havent played the game since DN64.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Absolutely worth 800 points, and this is without me even bothering with the mutiplayer yet. 3DRealms did a really great job of not half-assing this port. The timeline ability, and being able to jump anywhere and start playing therein is simple, but brilliant. A great addition, as is being able to map whatever you want to any damn button you want. I like that they retouched the intro graphics, even if I wish they would've done the same to the mission wrap-up screen. I increased the screen-size by one and turned off the annoying screen smoothing and sidebar business the moment I fired it up.

Oh, and the little glitch I remember on the second mission of the first episode is still there. After you blow up the building and am able to get to the sewer hole, throw a pipebomb in it and watch it fall....then fall again from the sky, and loop infinitely. You can keep throwing them and basically watch it rain pimpbombs. Just a funny limitation of the BUILD engine.

What can I say? It's Duke and it's still fun as hell.

This is the best value one can get for 800 MS points. Absolutely frickin' rocks. Just played a few hours of LIVE co-op with a fellow GAFfer, and it was entertaining as hell. So many nostalgic memories surface, too...

FrankT

Lé Blade Runner said:
This is the best value one can get for 800 MS points. Absolutely frickin' rocks. Just played a few hours of LIVE co-op with a fellow GAFfer, and it was entertaining as hell. So many nostalgic memories surface, too...

Heck yea, about to grab it myself.

Annihilator said:
So hows the online play? I've been reading on a couple of forums its really laggy??
I hosted a 8 player game with 8 players in it on the hardest setting and it was pure mayham, especially with respawning monsters. I did not hear anyone complain about lag or anything and almost all 8 players were playing for close to 20 minutes before someone quit.

Sectus

Ooh, the dukematch leaderboards has replays too, for the top 100 players even!

There's one guy on the leaderboard with something like 500 kills and 2 deaths. Watching his replay makes it pretty obvious what he was doing. There's one player standing still, and he's just killing that guy over and over :p

No split screen makes me sad, and has made me reconsider purchasing the game. I'll sleep on it tonight, and probably give in and buy it tomorrow.

There aren't any other major XBLA releases coming soon are there? (got 900 points in the wallet)

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Dead Man Typing said:
No split screen makes me sad, and has made me reconsider purchasing the game. I'll sleep on it tonight, and probably give in and buy it tomorrow.

There aren't any other major XBLA releases coming soon are there? (got 900 points in the wallet)
Some would consider Mega Man 9 coming next week pretty major.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dead Man Typing said:

Megaman 9 and Meteos Wars.

robot

I kinda suck at this game - it's taken me an average tome of like 20 minutes to beat each of the first 3 levels. :lol

Median

I used to play the hell out of this game on the N64 and I just sank an hour into it without realizing it. God, it plays just as well as I remember it. The second I tipped a stripper it was like my childhood rushing back to me. :D

Sectus

Joseph Merrick said:
Seriously.. and what's up with the Norway lockout. I used a Sweden VPN to get it :lol Damn you Sveriges
What kind of lockout? I bought the game in Norway, and I've been playing online with my friend in USA. No sign of region lock for me.

Well I just got done playing LA Meltdown (the first episode) co-op with a buddy. Duke came out when I was 15 and it brings back many memories. I still love the sound. The graphics are about what I remember. The free-look really magnifies how much this game wasn't made for vertical look. It took my me and my friend about an hour to complete the first episode. Although 25 minutes of it involved taking on the final boss (shoot, die, run back) of the first episode (which seems to have more hit points than I remember, we put about 30 RPG's and 10 pipe bombs up his ass!?!). A very good deal for $10. I look forward to completing it co-op over the course of this week. The multiplayer achievements sound like a bit of chore though.

Xyphie

Tried the trial because I loved Duke3D back in the day. Very disappointed with this version though, the aiming is HORRIBLE and kills the entire game for me. :/

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
StefanTheMongol said:
I still love the sound. The graphics are about what I remember. The free-look really magnifies how much this game wasn't made vertical look.

wikipedia said:
The engine renders the world in a way that looks three-dimensional. However the sizing for perspective only depends on the horizontal distance (most noticeable as the fact that wall vertices are always straight vertical lines on screen). This can cause noticeable distortion when looking up and down and so most Build games restrict this to a fairly limited range of angles.

That. Freelook doesn't really work in Duke3D, it was just short of shoved in there because the game was released around the same time as Quake and they need to at least fake 3D as much as possible. Part of me just wishes the game restricted vertical viewing just like Doom. That and ramps were implemented pretty last minute into BUILD around the time Duke3D was coming out.

LevityNYC

Banned
Wow.

I never thought I would see the day!!!!

This is awesome!

The entire game has the Halo style replay system.

They really put some work into this game!

very very very cool

madmook said:
Crap, I get motion sickness from playing this, like what Marathon did.

No longer buying.

Same here, I didn't notice until after I bought it though.

I can play it for short periods, after a while I get headaches and a general feeling of "bleugh".

Top Bottom