• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of All Downloadable Games Duke Nukem 3D XBLA Official Thread

Sectus

Joseph Merrick said:
what's your internet, buddy boy? I'm telenor

(aka. it's by ip)
I've got monet as ISP, but is that really true? I've seen a few games locked out specifically from Norway (like that tetris XBLA game), but those weren't even visible in the marketplace. From what I understand Duke3D should be available everywhere except Germany, Korea and Japan.

Oh wow...such a fun game. Although, is it just me or is the aiming in this game really shitty? I'm tempted to turn on auto-aim but I'm an active protester of auto-aiming in games, so I probably won't be able to force myself to do it.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
MisterAnderson said:
Oh wow...such a fun game. Although, is it just me or is the aiming in this game really shitty? I'm tempted to turn on auto-aim but I'm an active protester of auto-aiming in games, so I probably won't be able to force myself to do it.

Definitely not just you. I've been having a hard time in parts just targeting switches.

MisterAnderson said:
I've never played Duke3D with auto-aim off. The game was designed with it in mind, so it feels better that way. The stick sensitivity does seem to be off, I find it hard to do slight movements. Using some switches has been pretty awkward as well.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
tedtropy said:
Definitely not just you. I've been having a hard time in parts just targeting switches.

Seems to mostly be the Underwater stuff where its hard to switch things, Besides that all other switchs work fine.

acm2000

tried the demo this morning before work, and surprised how well the controls work, might buy it later when i get home

dejay

Banned
tedtropy said:
That. Freelook doesn't really work in Duke3D, it was just short of shoved in there because the game was released around the same time as Quake and they need to at least fake 3D as much as possible. Part of me just wishes the game restricted vertical viewing just like Doom.

Duke introduced me to mouse-look and I used it exclusively back in the day. That alone made it 1000% better than Doom. Considering the, by modern standards, horrible tech they were using it's amazing what they could make with it.

Saying that, the Build editor was a joy to work with and knocking out levels was relatively quick.

MisterAnderson said:

I felt the same but it seems to get better with practice. Plus they've given the kick some extra strength, which compensates somewhat.

Sectus said:
I've got monet as ISP, but is that really true? I've seen a few games locked out specifically from Norway (like that tetris XBLA game), but those weren't even visible in the marketplace. From what I understand Duke3D should be available everywhere except Germany, Korea and Japan.
Heh. I don't know the details.. I just know I couldn't download the demo or buy the full game through my regular hookup. :)

I can't believe I didn't pick this up yesterday. So scoring this when I get home. Hope multiplayer(Erm.....Dukematch) works well over Live.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Sick with the sore throat/headache so I didn't even wanna go all the way to the city today to get points to buy Duke - sigh...

tedtropy

I meant to only play a mission or two today and wound up blowing through the whole damn second episode, although I missed one of the two secret levels. I need to learn to savor these XBLA nuggets dammit!

randomwab

Played a lot of this over the past two days. Blew through the game on "Damn I'm Good" in co-op with a few friends, and it's amazing how great this game still is. Had a few Dukematch games on Live today and it's running great. Really bringing me back to the old days when I used to play Duke as a kid. So good.

RyuHayate

Wow, this game holds up pretty well gameplay wise for something that came out in 1996. I was way too young to play it, but I'm glad I gave the XBLA version a go.

Scarecrow

Just tried Duke for the first time. It was pretty good for the first 40 or so minutes. Then some major motion sickness came in... and I don't usually get MS from fps's. The demo seems pretty long (stuck about half way through the second area).

I'm debating picking it up. But I feel aweful right now.

tedtropy

Now 3DRealms needs to capitalize on all this nostalgic excitement and get Duke 4 out the door and in awesome shape.

For crying out loud i want BLOOD on XBL...This game kicks ass. Duke Nukem Port is amazing, i can't believe how well it plays with the controller.

man im getting owned online, I cant aim using a pad for shit, it feels like trying to type with your feet or something....

did they ever make anything like the smartjoy frag (i had the xbox one) for the 360?

Froschi

Anyone got an easy* way to get the game from a region-locked country, specifically Germany?

*"easy" meaning: No fumbling about with two network cards or 17 different Open Source VPN tools. I've got the following: one month of SwissVPN goodness and 1.200 American MS-Points. Is there any way that I, being an network-noob, can get some tasty piece of Duke?

Sorry to bump this thread but I bought this game for $5 from the sale and I have to say, it's so much fun. I hope duke nukem forever is as good.

Xellos

Played Duke 3D on school PCs back in the 90s, bought it (on XBLA) back in 2008, but I didn't get serious about playing through the whole game until this spring. I just finished the moon base levels and now I'm back on Earth fighting through a sushi bar. Can't really say enough how fun this game is. I'd go as far as to say that Duke 3D is a more entertaining single player FPS than anything this generation with the exception of Valve's Orange Box games. The levels are so well designed with flying (jetpack), swimming, lots of secret areas, and some limited environment destruction (like a cave-in or earthquakes). Love the weapons too, from the standard shotgun/rocket launcher to more creative weapons like the freeze ray, shrinker, and pipe bombs. Still haven't figured out how to effectively use the laser trip-wires though. Oh and I love the rewind feature. Sure it takes some challenge and tension away, but it's nice to be able to go back to any point in a level and try again. Wish more games had that.

Anyway, I saw that this thread was bumped and I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. At $5 this game is a steal. Tons of content, and much more creative than most modern FPS games. Just be sure to try the demo first and make sure that the game doesn't give you motion sickness. It's not using polygons and the walls warp around a bit if you turn while look up or down. That plus the fast movement and 60fps refresh does take some getting used to.

Top Bottom