• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90% of Forza Motorsport Xbox players haven't completed a single online race

Doesn't Sea of Thieves have the same thing, where it turns out most people don't even finish the first voyage? This is exactly why "X amount of people players!" is a completely meaningless statistics.
Sea of thieves has a pretty big following.. Not really my type of game but the audience is definitely there.

DryvBy

I mean I haven’t ever played an online race in Forza nor GT .

Only online racing I’ve done in the past 5-6 years is with Fzero99

There's data on who's finished any race in the campaign too and it's some 40% or so who haven't. I always look at this data when an easy intro achievement pops.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's bad news.

If the game isn't selling and it isn't attracting an online fanbase...the game is ****ed.

Still early days though. Let's see what they do with the next few years of content drops.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's data on who's finished any race in the campaign too and it's some 40% or so who haven't. I always look at this data when an easy intro achievement pops.

~25% who haven't, not 40%.

BHL02TV.png

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
I hear you. The older I get the less I want to compete with others. That said I’m more likely the race online vs sports and shooters. Less infuriating
That's my problem with online gaming and praises about online play in general. I simply no longer have any real interest in it. I used to really enjoy online gaming back when I was in high school and college, but as I've gotten older I just don't have time for it anymore. You have to play at other people's pace, you need to put in serious time to be competitive, and you can't pause during a game. Now a days it's like when I got the time to game, I need it to be at my own pace, and I just want to do my own thing.

Danknugz

all i've played is online and it's super fun even in the back of the pack, fighting for positions, just need to chill and not worry about always being in first place and getting stressed if you don't win. some people just need to win everything g they play i guess

calistan

I wonder if the stat accounts for rage quitting. Do you only get the achievement if you actually complete a race?

The worst thing about online races is that you'll wait for your session to start, do practice laps, do qualifying, get all hyped up for the actual race, and then you crash / get wiped out on the first lap and it was all a waste of time.

I'm not sure there's any other type of online game where it can all turn to shit so quickly and decisively. Just like the real sport, I suppose, but I'm not surprised that it isn't popular with the average gamer.

StueyDuck

sure, don't ever take advice off anyone, you know best :)
i'm confused, did it sound like i was asking people for advice? if it came across that way i am sorry and apologise, i am glad you were able to explain to me how i should enjoy things.

Good chat.

Rykan

Let me break it down for you in a simpler way,

The article is about only 10% people who have played online

Based on global Xbox stats, approximately 45% of players have completed the first career tournament in the game in single player.
It is a simracer.

Online play is one of the most important aspects of simracers, and the fact that a significantly less percentage of people try out the online mode on Xbox, shows that way more people are abandoning the game early. This makes the inevitable "Forza Motorosport has reached X amount of players!" press release fairly meaningless.
So, no, this is not the case of people picking it up, booting it to the menu and the closing it.
Your own cited statistics show that as many as 1 in 4 players don't even finish the first race.

adamsapple

It is a simracer.

Online play is one of the most important aspects of simracers, and the fact that a significantly less percentage of people try out the online mode on Xbox, shows that way more people are abandoning the game early. This makes the inevitable "Forza Motorosport has reached X amount of players!" press release fairly meaningless.

Lots of people don't want to play online, regardless of platform or franchise. Look at the overwhelming number of people saying the same in this topic. You can also find enough easy evidence online.

You're trying to make a non-issue into an issue.

Last edited:

Bond007

I rather play racing games offline.
Dont care for openworld either- never have. (In the case of Horizon or recent NFS)

Basically- i dont need the aggravation

Last edited:

DR3AM

I’ve played online and it’s kind of a chore. You have to time an event if you hav eto wait 10-15 minutes for the next one

djjinx2

It is a simracer.

Your own cited statistics show that as many as 1 in 4 players don't even finish the first race.
It was shown above that a really low % of GT7 players have even touched online. So how can it be one of the most important aspects if the 2 biggest series player base hardly touches online???

Holammer

Unless it's an integral part of the actual game like Counterstrike I routinely ignore multiplayer.
Minecraft, Diablo, Borderlands and many more, I don't even try to play those online. The tacked on MMO-like stuff in Diablo4 turned me off so much I did not even consider buying it.

Rykan

Lots of people don't want to play online, regardless of platform or franchise. Look at the overwhelming number of people saying the same in this topic. You can also find enough easy evidence online.

You're trying to make a non-issue into an issue.
That thread is citing Sports mode, not online multiplayer in general.

Steam has a completion rate for the online achievement nearly three times higher than Xbox. You would need to come up with some very convoluted reasoning to explain why PC gamers care more about the online component of Forza Motorsport than Xbox players, or you could simply accept the obvious explanation that many people are downloading Forza Motorsport through Game Pass and not engaging with it much. This is supported by your previously posted statistics, which show that 1 in 4 people don't even finish the very first race.

A similar situation can be observed with the Maiden Voyage achievement in Sea of Thieves: On Xbox, less than 70% of players unlocked this achievement, but on Steam, it's closer to 91%.
Sea of thieves has a pretty big following.. Not really my type of game but the audience is definitely there.
Oh absolutely. Sea of Thieves made a great turn around and it is a very popular game. I wasn't trying to imply that it wasn't. My point is that these achievements show that any announcement or press release about "X amount of players played Y Game" is completely meaningless due to Gamepass inflating the numbers.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

I wonder if the stat accounts for rage quitting. Do you only get the achievement if you actually complete a race?

The worst thing about online races is that you'll wait for your session to start, do practice laps, do qualifying, get all hyped up for the actual race, and then you crash / get wiped out on the first lap and it was all a waste of time.

I'm not sure there's any other type of online game where it can all turn to shit so quickly and decisively. Just like the real sport, I suppose, but I'm not surprised that it isn't popular with the average gamer.
Only raced twice online but it’s best to hang back and watch the carnage of the 1st turn

jayj

Banned

That doesn't really happen in real motorsport lol, even in the most amateur of leagues you will get kicked out for intentional crashes, for anything really legitimate there are strict rules and guidelines. The only way things can go bad right away is usually down to driver error, like spinning out, crashing on your own, getting into a crash you couldn't avoid. Anyone intentionally causing crashes would get banned from competition.

jayj

Banned
It was shown above that a really low % of GT7 players have even touched online. So how can it be one of the most important aspects if the 2 biggest series player base hardly touches online???
It feels like I have been hearing that for the longest time when it comes to online play. The type of people who are into it claim it's the be-all end-all when it comes to the games, and swear that you would have to be crazy to not want to play online, yet the great vast majority of people who play the games never play them online.

Crayon

10% is certainly low, but GT at least turns into a whole nother game when you go online. When I'm playing solo, I drive well but as my more serious friend says, I just drive the car. Going online, I need to concentrate so hard that it breaks my mind in the space of a five minute race. I'm not even trying to win. I'm just trying to drive in the line with these people and let them pass at good times lol. I'm trying super hard to gracefully come in last.

I played about 20-25 hrs of GT7 and never touched the online racing. I've seen too many videos of ppl doing online races and getting screwed over by someone being a dick lol

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I must have played Forza for around 20 hours so far and I still haven't completed an online race. This stat means nothing.

Last edited:
Im surprised so many people, including folks here, are not trying the online. I haven’t played this game, but online with Gran Turismo Sport was fantastic. I played it non-stop for a few weeks. Virtually everyone played a clean race, and it was fun.

Is this the Gamepass Effect? Tons of people playing the game with no money invested so they aren’t even trying to play correctly? Just ramming into others and such?

Last edited:

soulbait

I saw that stat, and did not know why it was such a big deal. I have been playing Forza since Forza MS 2, and I have played all of the Horizon games.

I think I have played one online game in Forza 7, and maybe 3-4 races in on of the Horizon games. I don't play these games online, and I imagine a lot of other people do not as well.

calistan

That doesn't really happen in real motorsport lol, even in the most amateur of leagues you will get kicked out for intentional crashes, for anything really legitimate there are strict rules and guidelines. The only way things can go bad right away is usually down to driver error, like spinning out, crashing on your own, getting into a crash you couldn't avoid. Anyone intentionally causing crashes would get banned from competition.
Drivers deliberately being dicks are more prevalent in sim races than in the real thing, but I've seen plenty of F1 races where somebody's afternoon is over at the first corner.

What I meant is that you spend a lot of time preparing for an online race, but then if it turns out that your race ends prematurely for whatever reason, it's a massive downer. I can see that being offputting to a lot of gamers, to the point where maybe people won't bother trying the online mode in Forza because they've had bad experiences elsewhere. Just race the AI on a setting you can beat.

jayj

Banned
Drivers deliberately being dicks are more prevalent in sim races than in the real thing, but I've seen plenty of F1 races where somebody's afternoon is over at the first corner.

What I meant is that you spend a lot of time preparing for an online race, but then if it turns out that your race ends prematurely for whatever reason, it's a massive downer. I can see that being offputting to a lot of gamers, to the point where maybe people won't bother trying the online mode in Forza because they've had bad experiences elsewhere. Just race the AI on a setting you can beat.
Yeah I've seen some quick crashes in F1 as well, but they always need it to be an accident. Anything intentional can get drivers suspended or otherwise penalized. Most pro forms of racing take their safety very seriously.

But yeah, it's definitely a part of racing unfortunately, no matter how good you are, sometimes you just can't avoid disaster. Happens to even the best.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I was surprised to see the abundance of people who don't want to play online racing games. The excitement it offers is truly incredible, especially when you're playing with a steering wheel. I don't understand where the fun is in overtaking monotonous AI drivers, whose staying on the track is considered a success. It's been quite a few years since I found single-player racing games meaningless. As AI continues to improve, it will become more enjoyable for sure, but for now, it's something I find meaningless and unenjoyable(excluding time trials).

I'm not referring to online racing games dominated by chaos; I'm talking about more disciplined games like ACC or iRacing.

Pejo

I spent a lot of time looking at videos about this and GT7 and the thing I can say pretty confidently is that while the games are becoming increasingly realistic, they look like absolutely zero fun to play.

Time to bring back some arcade racers. Motorstorm and Midnight Club would be good starts, IMO.

xrnzaaas

I spent a lot of time looking at videos about this and GT7 and the thing I can say pretty confidently is that while the games are becoming increasingly realistic, they look like absolutely zero fun to play.

Time to bring back some arcade racers. Motorstorm and Midnight Club would be good starts, IMO.
I'd add Split Second and Burnout to that list.

adamsapple

This is why I like the Horizon games a lot more. They dive into lite-sim if you want to, but otherwise they're pretty good arcade-y fun. Visually more interesting than just going back and forth on a track too.

Havoc2049

That thread is citing Sports mode, not online multiplayer in general.

Steam has a completion rate for the online achievement nearly three times higher than Xbox. You would need to come up with some very convoluted reasoning to explain why PC gamers care more about the online component of Forza Motorsport than Xbox players, or you could simply accept the obvious explanation that many people are downloading Forza Motorsport through Game Pass and not engaging with it much. This is supported by your previously posted statistics, which show that 1 in 4 people don't even finish the very first race.

A similar situation can be observed with the Maiden Voyage achievement in Sea of Thieves: On Xbox, less than 70% of players unlocked this achievement, but on Steam, it's closer to 91%.

Oh absolutely. Sea of Thieves made a great turn around and it is a very popular game. I wasn't trying to imply that it wasn't. My point is that these achievements show that any announcement or press release about "X amount of players played Y Game" is completely meaningless due to Gamepass inflating the numbers.
The Maiden Voyage Achievement for Sea of Thieves isn't a good example. The Maiden Voyage wasn't there when SOT launched in 2018 and wasn't part of the game until 1 year and 9 months after the game launched. The Maiden Voyage also isn't part of the main game and is something you access outside of logging into a server to play Sea of Thieves. It's like it's own little single player Tall Tale. The Maiden Voyage was the 11th Tall Tale released for SoT. SoT already had around 10 million players by the time Maiden Voyage was released and all those players had to go back and manually choose to play that Tall Tale. It does give you the option to play The Maiden Voyage after creating a character for the first time and it has always been in the Steam version, as that didn't get released till June 2020.

An example of an early Achievement for SoT would be the Now Bring Me That Horizon Achievement, which is at a 64.84% completion rate, which would be 20 million+ players by now.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

There are more arcade racers than these sim like racers

I liked my time with Trackmania on the F2P, but can understand someone quitting after looking at how much is locked off without a subscription. It feels really restrictive compared to nations.
I can understand someone not liking that some parts are locked away, sure. It makes more sense for Nadeo though, to do it this way than another TM Nations.
But to even get to those screens that inform about the limits, you more likely start the tutorial, or the campaign, or the free online part. You only have to pay for the daily challenge and to be able to go back in previous seasons. It's imho just insane that a lot of people bother to download it, start it, but than literally immediately quit.
Did not know or check about Forza, but as I see here above, the completion rate of the very same "challenge" of just one race is similarly bonkers. Why the hell download and start a racing game, when your appetite for racing vanishes after 1 to 2 minutes of seeing the bootscreens and the menu or whatever. Not wanting to play online for some reason is one thing, but not race at all in a racing game appears entirely pointless and ludicrous. Like thinking that Forza Motorsport is Horizon Zero Dawn and once seeing cars and not robot dinos getting your confusion about mixing different Horizons and Forzas, and in the case of Trackmania thinking it is Maniac Mansion or whatever.
Many other games have at least high 9X percentages for similar welcome stuff, but racing games seem to be for some reason especially weird in people not getting anything done at all.

The first 9 words voided your whole comment.

You're basically saying the online isn't fun based on WATCHING FUCKIGN VIDEOS!?!?!?!?
Log off and don't come back.

Play the damn games before spouting an unhinged opinion.

I laughed so hard at this, the sheer stupidity is next level.

Pejo

The first 9 words voided your whole comment.

You're basically saying the online isn't fun based on WATCHING FUCKIGN VIDEOS!?!?!?!?
Log off and don't come back.

Play the damn games before spouting an unhinged opinion.

I laughed so hard at this, the sheer stupidity is next level.
You ok? This is not a normal reaction to have to... anything.

*edit*

To address your concerns, why would a video not be sufficient to gauge what the gameplay is basically like?

Last edited:

CeeJay

Different courses for different horses. Thankfully in the Forza universe both are catered to. I personally prefer the Motorsport series rather than Horizon because I like to work on improving my lap times and improving my race craft. It's a focussed experience whereas I find Horizon has ADHD and is constantly firing new events, new races and new cars at me and I really struggle to focus on any one particular thing as I'm driving around the open world. The game constantly feels like it has to stimulate you at every possible moment and it becomes too much. There is no satisfaction to anything as you get rewarded regardless, it's like school sports day where everyone gets a prize. There are what seems like thousands of possible race combinations and it becomes meaningless to work on improving my technique on any particular one of them. Forza Horizon won't help you to become a better racer in the same way that Motorsport will.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
90-of-forza-motorsport-xbox-players-havent-completed-a-single-online-race.jpg

The In the Big Leagues achievement is one of the first achievements players will unlock when jumping into Featured Multiplayer — it's awarded when players complete their first introductory race in the multiplayer mode, and it's essentially impossible to miss if you are playing online. According to global Xbox achievement data, just 10% of Forza Motorsport Xbox players have the In the Big Leagues achievement, which means 90% haven't are yet to complete a single online race. Out of the Forza Motorsport players on TrueAchievements, around 20% have unlocked the achievement (we need to pump that percentage up, people!).

It's a similar story over on Steam. According to Steam global achievement unlock data, around 27% of all Forza Motorsport players on the platform have the In the Big Leagues achievement, and while it is higher than the Xbox percentage, it's still surprisingly low. Of course, the reason why the percentage is likely higher here is down to Game Pass once again. Steam players would have had to purchase the game, meaning they are likely more invested than Xbox with its Game Pass subscribers, who maybe fired up Forza Motorsport through their subscriptions to see what it was all about before going back to something else.

A few other interesting Forza Motorsport achievements tidbits relating to Featured Multiplayer include: Only 8% of players have completed a clean qualifying lap, just 6% of players have managed a podium finish, and around 1% of players have held an S-rank Safety Rating across five consecutive Featured Multiplayer events. Of course, the achievement for holding a S-Rank Safety Rating across ten consecutive Featured Multiplayer events is even lower.

Console racing games have low MP racing stats. Forza MS's online % is now 23% if you click the OP's link to see the gamer's updated achievement stats. It says 23% across about 50,000 tracked gamers.

GT is no better.

GT Sport had an estimated 85% of players playing zero sport races as of last month across a 90,000 gamer survey. So only 15% competed online and that game came out in 2017.

Last edited:
It is a simracer.

If Forza is a simracer, I'd happily dip my dick in a running blender.

I've bought every Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon game to date, and never played any of them online. Not interested in competitive online gaming at all.

Top Bottom