• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer reportedly cuts staff at 3D Realms & Slipgate

3d-realms-returns.jpg

More layoffs have allegedly occurred this week, this time at 3D Realms and Slipgate Entertainment. Both studios are subsidiaries of Embracer, which acquired them in 2021.

According to 3D Realms founder Scott Miller, "at least half" of the combined company has seen reductions. Michael Markie, a lead composer at 3D Realms/Slipgate, corroborated Miller, saying that "for Christmas this year, I got laid off!"

Miller added that "a lot of people, including core devs, will be looking for work asap. [...] This one hits me hard, because I worked with the new 3DR from 2014 up until when they were bought out by Embracer."
The number of layoffs in 2023 at Embracer's hands are many, and have often occurred several times in the same month. In recent weeks, it's reduced staff at Fishlabs, Cryptic Studios, and more.Earlier this week marked the official closure of Free Radical Design. Embracer revived the studio in 2021 with the specific purpose of developing a new TimeSplitters game that never came to fruition.
Originally known as Apogee Software before rebranding in the mid-90s, 3D Realms was founded by Miller in 1987. Its bigger claims to fame would be the early Duke Nukem games and 1992's Wolfenstein 3D. Following the troubled production of Duke Nukem Forever, 3D Realms was acquired by SDN Invest in 2014. SDN was also a part-owner of Interceptor Entertainment, the studio that would eventually become known as Slipgate Ironworks. 3D Realms published Slipgate's Bombshell in what was its first published title since 2005. The former has since published several Slipgate titles, including Ghostrunner (co-developed by One More Level) and the upcoming Graven and Core Decay. Game Developer has reached out to Embracer for comment, and will update this story when a response is provided.

At this point surely they are looking to offload some studios. Gearbox and the old SE teams would surely make them a fair chunk and save a lot of payroll.

Mr Hyde

Embracer wanting to offload certain studios like Gearbox got the rumor mill going that Embracer will sell Crystal Dynamics to Microsoft after they have completed work on Perfect Dark and released the next gen Tomb Raider entry.

winjer

Gold Member
Embracer seems to be trying to surpass EA's record as the Studio Killer.
Really sad, to see so many studios being affected, because of some incompetent CEO.

I just hope that Wrath: Aeon of Ruin and Graven are still being released in early 2024, as promised.
I lost count to the time I have been waiting for these to get their final release.

xrnzaaas

That sucks, I really liked what they've been publishing & planning to publish. Seems to me like Embracer is cutting costs and looking for quick cash wherever they can (like suddenly including Remnant games in Game Pass). Wouldn't be surprised if they sold some of the more recognizable studios and also scaled down their business significantly.

Top Bottom