• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jazz Thread

Ballthyrm

and i think most will recognize this one even if you didnt recognize the other two. this one was used in trailers i believe...

I think the original version is so good it's really hard to improve, so much emotion.
As a Frenchman it's really hard to describe the poetry of the delivery and the lyrics themselves

Kev Kev

I think the original version is so good it's really hard to improve, so much emotion.
As a Frenchman it's really hard to describe the poetry of the delivery and the lyrics themselves

Yeah man that’s beautiful. And I’m sure youve heard this before but French is such a beautiful and elegant sounding language to those who don’t speak it, it compliments the music so well. Great choice

MHubert

Just stumbled upon this pearl a few days ago and thought I would share it here.

A bit long performance, two hours, but worth every second, and it only gets better and better. Big fan of Zakir Hussain.

GeekyDad

Their first album was probably always my favorite:
220px-Pmg_-_pmg.jpg

With American Garage (the second) coming in, ironically, a close second. But I love everything Metheny and Mays have done over the years.

Kev Kev

pasquale grasso just released a new album called "pasquale plays duke". unlike his previous albums he pays with a combo in some fo the tracks, although some fo them are still solo

here are a couple tracks form the album

Kev Kev

a lot of the tunes used in fallout 4 (diamond city radio) are pop songs that became jazz standards. i love the old sound of this kind f stuff. some of it is more rockabilly, classic country or just straight pop, but many of them are american songbook classic that jazz bands and combos still play to this day. basically, there are roots of jazz found in some of these tunes, and its just good old classic music thats enjoyable to listen to in any situation... i could listen to the diamond city radio playlist all day

Track List:
00:00 - Right Behind You Baby
02:24 - Uranium Fever
04:47 - Rocket 69
07:30 - Whole Latte Shakin' Going On
10:20 - Good Rockin Tonight
13:21 - Dear Hearts And Gentle People
15:32 - Personality
18:21 - Accentuate The Positive
21:03 - Pistol Packin' Mama
24:03 - Sixty Minute Man
26:34 - Grandma Plays The Numbers
29:14 - Easy Living
32:16 - I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire
35:21 - Wonderful Guy
37:15 - Civilization
40:20 - Mighty, Mighty Man
42:53 - Undecided
46:14 - Butcher Pete (part 1)
48:41 - Anything Goes
51:51 - It's All Over But the Crying
54:40 - Orange Colored Sky
57:11 - The Wanderer
01:00:09 - Worry, Worry, Worry
01:02:34 - Crazy He Calls Me
01:05:48 - He's A Demon, He's A Devil, He's A Doll
01:09:01 - Atom Bomb Baby
01:11:18 - Uranium Rock
01:13:25 - Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall
01:16:33 - Crawl Out Through The Fallout
01:18:55 - Keep A Knockin
01:21:24 - Butcher Pete (part 2)
01:24:05 - One More Tomorrow
01:27:24 - It's A Man
01:29:49 - It's The End Of The World
01:32:27 - Maybe
01:35:20 - Way Back Home
01:38:18 - Happy Times

Last edited:

Kev Kev

i bet i posted this earlier ITT, but its just too good to not post again. such a beautiful ballad. the climax into the last 20 - 30 seconds of the tune is enough to move someone to tears.

great trombone player. great band. legendary recording.

enjoy 'The More I See You', by Count Basie and His Orchestra, featuring Al Grey on trombone. recorded 44 years ago at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1977

al_grey2.jpg
al_grey1.jpg

Last edited:

Kev Kev

The great Pat Martino

For those who don’t know, Martino was a well established jazz guitarist back in the 60s and 70s. In 1980 he suffered an aneurysm that resulted in brain surgery where they had to remove a piece of his brain to save his life. As a result, he was unfortunately left with no memory of his career or how to play guitar.

Miraculously, Martino relearned guitar by transcribing himself and by 1987 he returned to his former glory with a new album released named “The Return”.

Becoming jazz famous once is insanely difficult, more so than becoming famous as a pop artist. Becoming jazz famous twice?

Legendary.

Martino recently passed on November 1st, 2021. His music and inspiration will never be forgotten and as a musician myself struggling to learn guitar post 30 years old, Mr. Martino’s story really motivates me and it’s hard to imagine just how many he has motivated to be great over the years.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I played Do Not Feed The Monkeys recently and this one was part of the soundtrack

nice! this tune is movin fast!

totally different kind of jazz, but Superliminal is a recent-ish game that has an AMAZING jazz soundtrack. its mostly piano ballads but they are gorgeous. and the game is great too, kinda portal-esque if youre into that kind of thing. check out the game if you can, but def check out some of the soundtrack if you like pretty sounding jazz

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I want some nice jazz for reading. No saxophone’s as I sometimes find them too jarring.

Any suggestions?

tommib

nice! this tune is movin fast!

totally different kind of jazz, but Superliminal is a recent-ish game that has an AMAZING jazz soundtrack. its mostly piano ballads but they are gorgeous. and the game is great too, kinda portal-esque if youre into that kind of thing. check out the game if you can, but def check out some of the soundtrack if you like pretty sounding jazz

Genesis Noir is another game released this year that has been completely under the radar. Probably the classiest soundtrack of the year.

MachRc

I love jazz! Total wannabe kjazz member!
Big on string, and piano

not too much on brass

I came to post Pat martino and noticed some of his stuff is already posted!
edit: damn RIP, hope he lived a sweet long life for a guy that looked like a 60s rockstar in my favorite video.

One of my all time favorites

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I don't know much about Gigi Gryce (theres some homework for ya), but Clifford Brown is one of the best jazz trumpet players that ever lived. He plays so clean and intentional, weaving in and out of the melody with his solos, implying other tonalities with arpeggios and scale like runs, and creating an entirely new melody on top of the already existing one in the head.

Listen to Gryce on saxophone and Brown on trumpet. There is an intro at the beginning before it goes into the main melody aka the head. Which is beautiful all on its own! they really make it sounds interesting with the counter melody, implying all kinds of different tonalities. After the head they go into solos, and Gryce and Brown both just destroy it. It sounds so crafted and rehearsed but it's mostly pure, on-the-spot improvisation. They are both masterful with their instruments in the jazz world. Check it out.

For more Clifford Brown, check out Cherokee at break neck speed! Love this recording.

Don't forget Donna Lee!

Kev Kev

this is a fun follow for any jazz musicians out there. 3 or 4 bar licks posted daily, ranging from easy to insane difficulty. you can tag them with your submission and at the end of the day they will sometimes put a story together showing off the best ones

Last edited:
pasquale grasso just released a new album called "pasquale plays duke". unlike his previous albums he pays with a combo in some fo the tracks, although some fo them are still solo

here are a couple tracks form the album

These are dying for lo-fi hip hop beats to study and relax to, if they haven't already been co-opted.

Kev Kev

These are dying for lo-fi hip hop beats to study and relax to, if they haven't already been co-opted.
Yeah he’s amazing. I only discovered him bc he came and did a master class at my college, but he’s legit the best jazz guitarist in the world atm. I didn’t bring my guitar and he insisted that I play his, the same one he’s holding on the album cover there. I tried to say no like 3 times and he wouldn’t give up. He was one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. A lot of people in the jazz world are saying he’s a true living legend, even rivaling the greats of the early to mid 1900s. And he’s only like 35 lol. Insane. Check out his stuff on Spotify, he mostly does solo guitar just like in those 2 you quoted. So if you liked that you might dig the rest of his work.

Kev Kev

one of my favorite things about jazz is how the players completely change the tune around and improvise the melody.

here is misty, one of my favorite jazz ballads. the trumpet version is about as straight forward as it can be, then the ella fitzgerald version sarts taking some liberties but she doesnt go too crazy, then you have a saxophone and trombone duet where things start to get a little off the rails (in a good way of course) but you can still hear the melody clearly, then errol garner flips the whole thing inside out and just melts the room with his skills. all of it coming from the same simple melody. incredible stuff here.

then this mad girl plays in all the different styles of some of the most famous jazz pianists of all time (including erroll garner style!)

Kev Kev

more erroll garner. youtube is suggesting me a bunch of his videos now, which i dont have any complaints about.

Any bossa nova experts in here?

That Getz/Gilberto album is one of my favorite jazz albums of all time. I want more like it!

(Not sure how bossa nova albums roll, but having a female vocalist -- Astrid Gilberto in that case -- is a HUGE plus!)

Kev Kev

Went to a Jazz Bar last night in Amsterdam. It was cool. A LOT of young people there too.
qUXwjZv.jpg
i was playing in big bands in combos from about 2018 to 2021 and they were all young people. and the kids were pretty cool, a little hyper lol but they were really good kids that just loved music and wanted to jam. they still run and participate in jazz jams and clubs over in orlando, one of them even started his own big band that is quite successful. jazz is a timeless art. its really refreshing to see it's still reaching those younger audiences.

InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo as far as bossa nova, i dont know any entire albums, but i know of some of the tunes we played that i really enjoy like girl from impanema, chega de saudade, agua de beber, one note samba, blue bossa, song for my father, the shadow fo your smile, triste, how insensitive and recorda me, to name afew.

now the thing about jazz is players like to play tunes in different styles. so although you may google the shadow of your smile and find a swing version, there is a bossa nova version, a ballad version, a bebop version, and so on. hell you could probably find a funk version of all those tunes as well.

so when searching for jazz tunes, always clarify the style you want. once you find a player or composer you really like, check their discography for albums dedicated to bossa nova, and that'll get you started. happy listening!

Last edited:
i was playing in big bands in combos from about 2018 to 2021 and they were all young people. and the kids were pretty cool, a little hyper lol but they were really good kids that just loved music and wanted to jam. they still run and participate in jazz jams and clubs over in orlando, one of them even started his own big band that is quite successful. jazz is a timeless art. its really refreshing to see it's still reaching those younger audiences.

InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo as far as bossa nova, i dont know any entire albums, but i know of some of the tunes we played that i really enjoy like girl from impanema, chega de saudade, agua de beber, one note samba, blue bossa, song for my father, the shadow fo your smile, triste, how insensitive and recorda me, to name afew.

now the thing about jazz is players like to play tunes in different styles. so although you may google the shadow of your smile and find a swing version, there is a bossa nova version, a ballad version, a bebop version, and so on. hell you could probably find a funk version of all those tunes as well.

so when searching for jazz tunes, always clarify the style you want. once you find a player or composer you really like, check their discography for albums dedicated to bossa nova, and that'll get you started. happy listening!
Awesome tips. Thanks, Kev!

Futaleufu

one of my favorite things about jazz is how the players completely change the tune around and improvise the melody.

here is misty, one of my favorite jazz ballads. the trumpet version is about as straight forward as it can be, then the ella fitzgerald version sarts taking some liberties but she doesnt go too crazy, then you have a saxophone and trombone duet where things start to get a little off the rails (in a good way of course) but you can still hear the melody clearly, then errol garner flips the whole thing inside out and just melts the room with his skills. all of it coming from the same simple melody. incredible stuff here.

then this mad girl plays in all the different styles of some of the most famous jazz pianists of all time (including erroll garner style!)

"I Want to Talk About You" sounds like a variation of the same tune

Kev Kev

some saturday morning tunes for you

havent listened to this whole album, only skimmed thorough it. i have no idea who it is an i couldn't tell you a thing about it, but it sounds pretty fuckin rad. figured some of you out there might be into it.

Kev Kev

if you love noir, or feeling like your sittin over a drink in a smoky, dimly lit bar at 3 in the morning, this is the tune they would be playing on stage

Top Bottom