• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Money Monster (2016)

Directed by Jodie Foster, starring George Clooney and Julia Roberts .... I was expecting a lot. It's a pretty average thriller. It effectively and humorously satirizes financial hucksters like Jim Cramer, though.

zYAO5Jx.gif

★★★★★ / Annnd thennn......?

Andyliini

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

And we reboot again. This time we are going to see how the intelligent apes came to be. The film is written like it could be a prequel to the original 1968 film, but or course takes huge liberties for itself. The story is really heartfelt, well told, and CGI apes work well too. Andy Serkis truly is a gift to motion capture technology.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

And we reboot again. This time we are going to see how the intelligent apes came to be. The film is written like it could be a prequel to the original 1968 film, but or course takes huge liberties for itself. The story is really heartfelt, well told, and CGI apes work well too. Andy Serkis truly is a gift to motion capture technology.

Also don't forgot Draco Malfoy acting like a jerk again lol

angry punch GIF

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Apocalypto

Amazing movie portraying Mayan civilization in its decline, featuring an indigenous cast that speaks in their native tongue. The story follows a young man named Jaguar Paw who becomes captured when his village are attacked by another hostile tribe, and sees himself and his tribesmen get dragged to an ancient Mayan city where they will be sacrificed to the Aztec gods.

The story is simple, yet very compelling. The pacing is excellent, the action is riveting, the whole movie looks beautiful and is is very well shot. The Mayan setting is quite unique, I can't think of one movie that goes this far to portray this particular era with this much attention to detail. I know the movie has been criticized for historical inaccuracies, but it feels authentic, raw and is just dripping with atmosphere. The cast is great, both the heroes and the villains are compelling characters, very believable and very natural in the emotions they display. They are also rocking some very cool outfits, especially the bad guys.

Apocalypto also has great environmental storytelling, with a lot of "show, don't tell" - mentality. You can basically watch the entire movie without sub titles and you will have no issues understanding the characters, the story or what is going on. Say what you will about Mel Gibson, but he's an hell of a film director. Apocalypto is easily his best directorial effort. It's truly one of a kind.

Apocalypto

Amazing movie portraying Mayan civilization in its decline, featuring an indigenous cast that speaks in their native tongue. The story follows a young man named Jaguar Paw who becomes captured when his village are attacked by another hostile tribe, and sees himself and his tribesmen get dragged to an ancient Mayan city where they will be sacrificed to the Aztec gods.

The story is simple, yet very compelling. The pacing is excellent, the action is riveting, the whole movie looks beautiful and is is very well shot. The Mayan setting is quite unique, I can't think of one movie that goes this far to portray this particular era with this much attention to detail. I know the movie has been criticized for historical inaccuracies, but it feels authentic, raw and is just dripping with atmosphere. The cast is great, both the heroes and the villains are compelling characters, very believable and very natural in the emotions they display. They are also rocking some very cool outfits, especially the bad guys.

Apocalypto also has great environmental storytelling, with a lot of "show, don't tell" - mentality. You can basically watch the entire movie without sub titles and you will have no issues understanding the characters, the story or what is going on. Say what you will about Mel Gibson, but he's an hell of a film director. Apocalypto is easily his best directorial effort. It's truly one of a kind.

I love Mel Gibson as an actor/director

I loved every movie he directed too

I still need to see Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto though

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare.

It was ok. Guy Ritchie needs to stick to crime movies like Snatch or The Gentleman. This one reminded me of Inglorious Bastards, just not as good. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't great.

Jennifer Lawrence Dog GIF by Sony Pictures

No Hard Feelings

Overall, I rather enjoyed it. There is a beach scene that … Jennifer Lawerence really committed herself to and gave it her ALL.
Yes Sir, No Hard Feelings is a great movie.

Jennifer is a stunningly beautiful woman

Now I'm forced to go see Challengers in cinema starring 'I can make a poop face' Zendaya. FUCK 😭

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Abigail was actually decent you know. Gets a little bit silly in the final act but the movie sort of earns it. Could been better but could've seen A LOT worse, I think the trailer sort of gives away the reveal but it gets even deeper than that.

Last edited:
The Fall Guy

It's ok. I had the same issue with this that I did with Leitch's last movie. I didn't find the "comedic banter" clever or funny, and there's A LOT of it. It came off a bit too try hard.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Went to the theater to see Spy x Family: Code White

Was a lot of fun

Andyliini

Ghostbusters - Frozen Empire

Considering I found Afterlife to be thoroughly boring and srupid film, I kind of enjoyed this one. There's still some of the toy commercial side, but it has a good pace and some funny jokes too. Maybe the third act could have gotten to the main action a bit sooner (and the battle was over quite quickly too), but other than that, it was fine. Not a masterpiece or anything, just fine.

Top Bottom