• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jazz Thread

Kev Kev

the little known, yet best version of this tune. these two made multiple albums together and they are just wonderful together. this whole album is worth checking out

and although snarky puppy is played way the fuck out, especially this tune, its pretty essential listening for modern jazz. many of the players in this video have gone on to become succesful pro jazz players. its long but worth it. make sure you at least stick around for the keys solo... this dude will melt your faaaaaaccceeeee.

its my belief that snarky puppy, and this tune in particular, has inspired a whole new generation of young people to get into jazz

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This thread gives me hope for art and creativity in the West. Sounds like an odd thing to say but fuck me that Snarky Puppy track is absolutely beautiful.

Kev Kev

This thread gives me hope for art and creativity in the West. Sounds like an odd thing to say but fuck me that Snarky Puppy track is absolutely beautiful.
absolutely. i play jazz with 18 and 19 years old kids down at the college an thy are incredible musicians. everything is niche these days, and jazz has been that way for decades, but i feel like its sort of making a comeback in recent years

speaking of beautiful music, this isnt exactly jazz (it was at a jazz festival however), but it has the keys player from snarky puppy in it, and man... its like that dude came from another planet when hes ripping over purple rain. fucking incredible. hes only 33 (born 10 days after me in 1987 in fact).

after prince died and the whole world played purple rain for a week, this one (imo) was the best. it had everything: energy, rock band back by a concert band, big loud horns, soul, crowd was in on it on the vocals, amazing solo by cory... i mean, i wasnt the biggest prince fan, but he for sure wrote one of the most beautiful pieces of music in the 20th century, and this band nails it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Oh that is absolutely fucking ridiculous. I just had a man accident.

Kev Kev

jazz is the precursor to all modern western music. nearly everything you hear on the radio today stems from jazz in one way or another. blues, hip hop and R&B, certainly, but also country, pop, rock, metal... you name it, all of their roots can eventually be traced back to jazz. the swing era isnt necessarily the beginning of jazz, but it is the era in which jazz sored to new heights, becoming the most popular music in the early 20th century. i havent watched this whole documentary, but it seems legit so far.

if youre interested in learning about the beginnings of jazz, and by extension the beginnings of all modern american music, the swing era is a great place to start.

enjoy!

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Probably Pat Metheny's American Garage
american-garage.jpg

His group was the first concert I'd ever seen. I was six years old. My older brothers took me to see him. I started playing guitar that year (1977). Beautiful stuff.

Kev Kev

unbelievable recording. joe pass at one of his finest moments imo. mind blowing how much is in this tune and how he just blows it wide open. virtuoso in new york in one of his best albums for me, if youre interested in hearing more of this.

St Andreu Jazz band does some great stuff for a young, current jazz group. I also love Andrea Mottis.

And here's another Brubeck piece, with a music video even

Futaleufu

Lucky enough to have seen him a few times in concert. RIP Chick

Me too. i saw him around 2012-2013 when he was noticeable overweight and then again around 2015-2016, first thing I remember was how much weight he had lost by then. I think he had been sick for at least 6 years yet he never showed any signs of slowing down and kept working as usual on tours and records.

came here to post this, the music he recorded in the years before he died is really beautiful, my phone is full of it and even my kids like it. had a very interesting life as well (as did a lot of artists/musicians who lived through ww2). always get a little sad when i think of him, wish he could have lived and played just a little longer...

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be honest, I'm not a big Jazz guy. However, I do love the Taxi Driver theme and it sort of got me interested in Jazz music. I enjoy some relaxing Jazz playlists on occasion when I'm reading/writing.

Kev Kev

Pretty killer trio of amazing musicians. The drummer especially.

yeah the drummer is insane, but that bass player tho! wow, this is awesome, thanks for sharing

beautiful. i love it

speaking of bass players. we are playing "the chicken" in the big band im in. written by pee wee ellis as a b side track for james brown's 1969 album "the popcorn", and later popularized by bass guitar virtuoso jaco pastorius, "the chicken" is one of the most popular funk tunes in jazz and is an absolute barn burner. listen for the crazy shit jaco is doing on the bass through out the entire tune...

Kev Kev

The jukebox music in ffvii remake has some pretty dope jazz tracks. I wish they’d release them as an ost, mastered and everything. This is the only way to hear them that I know if. But anyway, here is one of them. Some pretty sick solos on here....

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Intro song to the Japanese anime series Cowboy Bebop, "Tank!" is composed by Yoko Kanno, performed by the Seatbelts, and it is fucking awesome.

Not only perfectly fitting to the tone of the show, as all of the show's amazing soundtrack is, it is also a legitimate and fantastic entry into the overall musical genre of jazz. The sax solo in the middle is cut out of the intro to the Cowboy Bebop, and as such most people have only really heard 1/3 of the tune. The solo is top tier, very well done, and when paired with the backgrounds and solid groove of the rhythm section, the tune truly becomes a legendary performance.

If you haven't heard Tank! before, check it out, and if you've only heard the shortened version from watching the intro to Cowboy Bebop, listen to this extended version which includes the solo! Good shit right here!

and heres this maniac transcribing the whole solo lol wtf!?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

i made a topic for this too. but in case all you jazz heads didnt see it, check it out. pretty cool! and really nice to see jazz surviving for 100 years now, and still being shown love from around the world.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

in the big band/combo im playing in atm, we are playing a couple tunes that fans of BioShock will appreciate

love billie holiday

there is a specific version of this tune i was looking for but i couldnt find it. anyway they are all pretty great. i just love this old sound...

and i think most will recognize this one even if you didnt recognize the other two. this one was used in trailers i believe...

Last edited:
Top Bottom