• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jazz Thread

Winter John

Gold Member
It's best to start with Miles Davis's Kind of blue. It's easy listening and you'll probably recognise a lot of the tracks because they've been used for everything.
John Coltrane's A Love Supreme is another one to look out for. I'm not the biggest fan of his but it's a damn good album. It easily sits next to KOB.
Ella and Louis is worth listening to. I like it a lot but some of the stuff can sound a bit twee I guess.
For more modern stuff you can't go wrong with Kamasi Washington. Sons of Kemet. Bad Bad Not Good and Boren & Der Club Of Gore. I'd heavily recommend their Sunset Mission record for late nights.

julio_grr

I might turn this into a bit of a hobbyist project actually. I can write a short bio about one or two jazz musicians a week and then link to some of their music. We can discover them together.

I'll have to research obviously.
I'd love that !

To answer to the OP, pretty much everything from Miles Davis is great. Kind Of Blue is the ultimate classic. But I also like his seventies work, more fusion. The Jack Johnson sessions are great.
Jazz contains very different styles, so it's hard to come up with a few favorites when there's so much difference !
To cite more modern things, and if you don't mind some big bands, I'd recommend Snarky Puppy. It's more some electro-jazz fusion, and it can be very easy listening at times, but their early albums are pretty jazzy.
For me Sylva is one ultimate masterpiece of instrumental music:

Ironically one of my favorite track of their's is the first one on their first album. The structure of the piece is brilliant and all the dialogs between the instruments are superb.

ROMhack

Okay so regarding my previous post about featuring jazz musicians, I've knocked this up. Will aim to do this once a week/fortnite, as and when I have time.

Jazz Artists #1: Miles Davis

SRd2qDt.jpg

Born: May 26, 1929
Died: September 28, 1991 (65 years old)

Main instruments: Trumpet and flugelhorn

Who is Miles Davis?

Put simply, Miles Davis is one of the most influential and acclaimed jazz musicians of all time. I did a totally scientific study using Google search and found he appeared on every list of ‘top jazz musicians ever’. He came #1 most often. If that’s not high praise then I don’t know what is.

Miles' talent for music came at an early age. He studied at the famous Juilliard School in New York before going on to make his professional debut as a saxophonist for a bebop quintet led by legendary jazz musician, Charlie Parker. His debut album – The New Sounds – was released by Prestige in 1951. He went on to release approximately 60 albums, not including compilations, soundtracks, live albums and remixes. Basically he made a shit ton of music, usually playing Trumpet (his main instrument).

In 1949 he recorded the Birth of the Cool sessions for Capitol Records. This was instrumental for the development of Cool Jazz - a style of relaxed modern jazz that you probably know well. He also developed a rather tricky addiction to heroin around this period, which culminated in his additions to the emerging genre of Hard Bop – a type of ‘funky’ jazz focusing on a rollicking, rhythmic style.

After overcoming his drug problems, he made a comeback performance at Newport Jazz Festival in 1955 and signed a long-term deal with Colombia Records. This is when he recorded another important album, made in collaboration with John Coltrane, ‘Round About Midnight. In 1959 came Kind of Blue, his most popular album and one of, if not the, most famous jazz album of all time (see below).

In later years, Miles worked prolifically. His music in the 1960s featured some more abstract ideas and helped pioneer the Post-bop genre. His music in the 1970s focused on rock, funk and electronic music, as was becoming more popular at the time thanks to emergent technology. This is best summed up by Bitches Brew, which sparked a resurgence of jazz fusion (basically a mix of jazz and rock).

His health dipped in the early 1980s and he retired for five years before resuming his career. This i when he achieved some of his highest levels of success, both critically and commercially. He died in 1991 of complications from a stroke, pneumonia and respiratory failure. In 2006, he was inducted by Herbie Hancock into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Where Should I Begin?

Kind of Blue (1959)
His most popular album and one of the most widely renowned jazz albums of all time. The definition of smooth, easy listening.

On the Corner (1972)
A flop on release, it’s become a touchstone of Davis ever since. Focuses on free jazz, funk and electronic.

‘Round About Midnight (1957)
Great production values and features a collaboration with saxophonist John Coltrane.

--

Disclaimer: I’m new to Jazz. I took most of this information from Wikipedia. There's nothing original and I'm simply trying to inspire myself and others to enjoy jazz :)

dan76

I love me some space jazz. Miles Davis in the mid 70's hit the mark with live albums like Agharta and Pangea.

Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi period up to Manchild are also pretty damn great. I like jazz when it flirts with funk and uses some old analogue synths. After the late 70's I lose interest. I'm sure I'll be educated by this thread.

... nice..

Last edited:

Kev Kev

this album ascended to my favorite jazz album after just a few listens. never heard anything quite like but its fantastic. super chill. i could put on a pair of nice headphones and just relax to this with a bowl. good shit. starts off quick and bouncy but mellows out for the rest of the album.

if i still smoked cigarettes and drank, id like to find myself at a dimly lit pub at 1:00 in the morning, whisky and a smoke and a couple cats playin this shit live in the back... no cell phones, news, social media or drama bullshit... thatd be the shit

Kev Kev

epistrophy is a tune co-written by thelonius monk and kenny clark in 1941. monk was famous for having a very outside the box sound, even for the likes of jazz music. by the end of his career monk was reportedly experimenting wth hallucinogens and would get a little bit eccentric on stage, running around his piano and doing crazy stuff. i dont know a whole lot about thim, but apparently he was a weird cat, and you can kind of hear that in his music.

pasquale grasso is a current jazz guitar virtuoso. from italy, he staretd playing guitar at 6 years old and has studied and played with some of the best the jazz instructors world haas to offer. the dude is an absolute monster guitar player. he studied 4 years of classical guitar as well and can play just about anything you could imagine. my guitar teacher at my community college brought him in for my last semester, just last year, ad had him play for us and teach a master class. i didnt bring my guitar and pasqualle grasso OFFERED me HIS guitar to play while he taught the master class D:

he was the nicest person ever. couldnt believe it as most jazz cats tend to be snobbish. it was incredible watching aad hearing him play up close. my guitar teacher described as the best musical experience of his life.

here is pasquale grasso performing epistrophy by theloneus monk. and a couple live video of him playing some other tunes so you can see his insanity, you'll have to crank the volume on one of the the live though as its way way quiet

ENJOY! if you like this, check him out on spotify or youtube, dude is a living legend in jazz at the moment

VOLUME UP on this one....

ROMhack ROMhack let me know what you think pasquale is a big Wes Montgomery fan

Last edited:

Kev Kev

In France we had our share of great Jazz musicians
Starting with these two gentleman.

fuck yes minor swing is one of my favorite tunes! the violin solos are fantastic in this recording. playing along with it can get really intense, lol as dorky as that sounds :messenger_tears_of_joy: . its just a great chord progression with very few major chords, so it can sound kind of dark. dont believe me? listen to someone slow these chords down and play them, itll sound like a funeral march. great pick!!

Last edited:

Ogbert

I legit want GAF's honest opinion on if this is Jazz. Got to listen all the way.

Is this Nujazz?

I've heard worse in the name of Jazz.

I actually play a lot of piano and do my own transcriptions of Gershwin, Cole Porter and what not.

I've always though the basic test of Jazz is whether or not there's any sort of improvisation involved. If there is, it's arguably jazz. If not (like my transcriptions), it's just the jazz idiom.

My recommendation is to start with the traditional stuff. Big band - Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw. Way more joy to be had there than some of the dreary modern stuff.

Kev Kev

coltrane legendary performance of my favorite things. goes on for over 20 minutes, and at one point they go into a thing where they stretch out each chord and vamp over it. you can see it when it looks like the piano player is just smashing his hands onto the keys. this is the video that hooked me on jazz. watching these giants making history, playing with all their hearts and expressing their energetic creativity and technical prowess, playing this insane, weird yet beautiful music. its fucking magical shit lol. enjoy!

its long but i highly recommend packing u a bowl or a stiff drink and watching the whole performance. but at least check out my favorite things tune, which i think its starts around the 17 minute mark.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
coltrane legendary performance of my favorite things. goes on for over 20 minutes, and at one point they go into a thing where they stretch out each chord and vamp over it. you can see it when it looks like the piano player is just smashing his hands onto the keys. this is the video that hooked me on jazz. watching these giants making history, playing with all their hearts and expressing their energetic creativity and technical prowess, playing this insane, weird yet beautiful music. its fucking magical shit lol. enjoy!

its long but i highly recommend packing u a bowl or a stiff drink and watching the whole performance. but at least check out my favorite things tune, which i think its starts around the 17 minute mark.

The absolute king

Rien

Jelly Belly

Chris Potter is today’s Parker, Trane or Brecker..
This guy is insane with his instruments.
Seen him live last year and that was something else I tell you

Improv starts at 2 minutes mark

Last edited:
Top Bottom