• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gonna be a chore, but I should probably migrate my alert list sooner than later.

Appshopper is still good. I mean, the difference is probably just hours and I doubt things go on sale for only a few hours

Goli

185 spins is a lot o_o.
and re: freeappslots
For some reason none of the apps I've downloaded and ran for way more than 30 seconds ever register, I already submitted a help ticket on their page but I've gotten no answer, does anyone know of a way to fix this?

Fusebox

Banned
oprah.gif

Sometimes I feel like the Sheldon Cooper of GAF...

I don't get it.

Some initial impressions on MC4 (Gameloft did provide me a free code cuz I apparently like making threads here about their stuff). Played on iPhone 5.

Campaign is what one expects. The default controls are pretty odd though. The grenade placement is terrible. I literally killed myself right off the bat cuz I dropped a grenade on myself trying to change the camera.

Luckily the game has all the usual move shit around resize buttons etc. The havoc addition does make death animations quite silly. Reminds me of how people get shot in hong kong cinema and do a backflip. Fun stuff. Seems like there will be a few missions ahead where you play as the terrorists. Playing as the baddies does seem like the thing these days.

A9ezDJBCcAArZHw.jpg:large

Really? The 'follow' guy getting stuck on geometry on the very first level? You don't have to copy battlefield to the T gameloft!

Anyhow, single player seems fine. Visuals aren't as great as Nova 3, and the water looks awful, but frame rate is solid (on 5 at the very least, ipod 4 and iphone 4 might not be soo hot).

Played a bit of MP as well. Seems like they boosted the hp of dudes a bit, and the maps are quite large. The amount of attachments and mods and what not is quite big, but from what I can tell, the cost of each upgrade is pretty damn expensive, a bit early to tell though.

Maps are noticeably larger, which makes battles slower. The new addition of climbing over barriers and over walls is pretty awesome, "console quality" even!

Oh yeah, they did change knifing in which your fire button just changes to a knife button when you are close to a baddie.

It's not terribly different from MC3, but with the promise of better anti hacking measures for mp (and a report feature), for $7, game seems like a worthy purchase.

If you liked 3, get this, MC games take a long ass while to go on sale. If you don't, don't get this.

Yottamole

Banned
The Final Fantasy sales are live. Is Final Fantasy IV being released on the iOS? It says so on th following pages:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy-dimensions/id540992837
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy/id354972939
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy-ii/id354974729

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Take advantage of a limited-time sale celebrating the coming release of FINAL FANTASY IV!
☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

GeekyDad

GeekyDad has bad taste in TV shows

That, and games evidently. I'm just perplexed by the gushing over Into the Dead. It's not a bad game per se, but its appeal is incredibly fleeting, for me at least.

Yet a game like Walking Dead Assault comes along, and because it is not backed by hype, folks play one chapter of it and label it "meh." Eh, 'tis the nature of GAF I suppose.

Heel

That, and games evidently. I'm just perplexed by the gushing over Into the Dead. It's not a bad game per se, but its appeal is incredibly fleeting, for me at least.

Yet a game like Walking Dead Assault comes along, and because it is not backed by hype, folks play one chapter of it and label it "meh." Eh, 'tis the nature of GAF I suppose.

http://youtu.be/pWdd6_ZxX8c

xJavonta

Banned

They're both fantastic, there.

FreeAppSlots runs like complete shit for me in Chrome, even with Nitrous installed. Don't know why.

Synless

If it is the DS FFIV I will buy it, if it is the PSP version I won't. I already own both, but I have always thought the DS version could use that higher res graphics and framerate boost to make it really shine.

Mrbob

Long time since I played BG. Kind of want to get it on Ipad to have a portable version.

As for BG vs BG2, I think BG2 is vastly superior. However, if you haven't played one before, might as well start from the beginning. First game is awesome.

Edit: I should mention that the game is old school difficult at times too. If you are used to babyz mode in modern gaming it might be too much to handle.

I'm pretty excited for BG, I've never played them but KOTOR is one of my favorite games and I loved the first Dragon Age. Hopefully BG is similar enough that I dig it too.

T.O.P

Banned
Guys anyone having problems after DjMax Ray got updated?
I can't get past the connection screen, the game crashes before it can even start :(

@ipad3 btw

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
yep twice :/

i don't even know if i can erase the app and re-download without losing all the music packs that i've bough :(

You'll be able to restore IAPs. You should try again after shutting down background apps before redownloading the whole thing though.

Synless

yep twice :/

i don't even know if i can erase the app and re-download without losing all the music packs that i've bough :(
Music packs can be viewed on the App Store so I would imagine they are tied to your account.

Edit* wait, maybe not... It only shows top paid.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So... vice city, yay or nay?

Was planning on getting it... but FF4... need to save some of my money for now (and rockstar likes sales).

I say yay, but that's because Vice City is half the price of my lunch tomorrow and it's awesome.

Good news about BG, I will have to give it some purchasing consideration later on. TBH I don't know what I'm gonna have to delete to be able to install it. I might finish up Walking Dead first to free up a couple of gigs. Not like I haven't got enough games on the go as it is.

Also very tempted by FFIV. I've only recently completed FFT and FFVI and loved them, and even though I started FFIV DS and didn't like it, I'd be up for giving it another go now I'm more used to the series.

PittaGAF

I'll probably bite BGEE just to show my support and hoping they will start making original content sooner than later (or port more multiplayer friendly games like the IceWind Dale series), but I do not think I'l replay for the n-th time to completion my favorite saga.
Personally, while BG2 is technically superior in every compartement, I prefer BG1, mostly because I prefer low levels D&D characters than high levels ones.
Also, alone in the world, I never liked the fact that in BG2 every 3 steps your quest journal would be updated 15 times.
I loved exploring the vast plains in BG1, where initially even a small pack of wolves could be certain death.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
For a fun and cute card game, Gubs is now out on the app store, and it's free for the ad supported version, which only plays ads in between games. It's against AI only, though, which is fine with me, bu I know that bothers some people.

But the game itself is reminiscent of card games like Fluxx, because you have to keep certain cards out (in this games case, the Gubs themselves) while trying to sabotage the other players attempts to do so. All the other cards revolve around protecting your own Gubs while trying to steal or incapacitate those of your opponents.

What I really like about this game is that most of the cards have multiple uses based on the situation. One example is that there is this bubble trap thing that you can use on an enemy's Gubs (trapped Gubs don't count for points.) Then there is a spear card, which can be used to either destroy the bubble trap on one of your own Gubs, OR you can use it to kill an unprotected enemy Gub. Most of the cards follow a similar sensical logic. The only card that isn't very logical is the mushroom card. It can be used to protect a Gub, which is fine, but you can also use a mushroom card to destroy another mushroom card that is protecting an enemy Gub. That part doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but oh well.

Here's the link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gubs/id580366171?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4
Gubs is great, I'm still considering buying the physical version. I played the PC "demo" dubbed Pixel Edition (demonstrating the physical game at the time, it's AI vs only) a lot. But I liked their art (which Pixel Edition still uses) before the publisher changed it.

What's the quality of the iOS port of Final Fantasy Tactics like? I've never played through that game and I feel like I should once in my life, but some of the reviews on the store page suggest it might be a bit of a crash happy port and it is putting me off a slight bit.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
What's the quality of the iOS port of Final Fantasy Tactics like? I've never played through that game and I feel like I should once in my life, but some of the reviews on the store page suggest it might be a bit of a crash happy port and it is putting me off a slight bit.

I played the whole game and it only crashed maybe 2 or three times over 70-odd hours. It plays well with some tweaks to the options as well, I had no problems at all with it.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Surprised by how flawlessly Vice City runs on my iPad 1.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Surprised by how flawlessly Vice City runs on my iPad 1.
GTA 3 ran great on my ipad 2. Only problem I had was the sniper mission. I found it impossible to complete, thanks to the controls.

Thats why I'm on the fence about Vice City :(

PittaGAF

I played the whole game and it only crashed maybe 2 or three times over 70-odd hours. It plays well with some tweaks to the options as well, I had no problems at all with it.

Seconded (minus the crashes, never had any in about 60 hours).
The game is outstanding imho.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey iPeople, my iPhone 4 has suddenly stopped being able to charge. It was fine last night, any ideas what the problem could be or how to fix? I've blown on it like a Mario cart in 1989, powered off and on, cleaned the connector of lint... nada.

Ideas?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hey iPeople, my iPhone 4 has suddenly stopped being able to charge. It was fine last night, any ideas what the problem could be or how to fix? I've blown on it like a Mario cart in 1989, powered off and on, cleaned the connector of lint... nada.

Ideas?

My charging cable breaks ALL the time. Try it with a completely different one, maybe it's just gone totally nonfunctional and your phone is actually fine?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
My charging cable breaks ALL the time. Try it with a completely different one, maybe it's just gone totally nonfunctional and your phone is actually fine?

I think it's the phone - it didn't charge overnight on my home cable (whereas my iPad did) and now I'm at work with a different cable it's still not working.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think it's the phone - it didn't charge overnight on my home cable (whereas my iPad did) and now I'm at work with a different cable it's still not working.

Did you make sure there's not like a piece of food stuck in the connector? You said you dusted it off, but... never know. Did you check if maybe a piece of the connector broke off and got stuck? (this somehow happened to my eSATA cable, I have a piece of connector stuck in my external HD now and it won't connect -.-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom