• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread December 2012: Santa touched me somewhere weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
iblWpevNW4Wy5O.png

Intro

It's December! It's the final few weeks of submission before the App Store closes for the year. Expect a ton of cool stuff coming out in the next few weeks, and be prepared for huge sales across the board for all games and apps during Christmas and New Years, which will surely be talked about in this thread!

-chickdigger802

What's happening?
So what's going on? Every month a member of the iOS GAF community will start a new thread for the chronicling of new releases, rumours, discussion and petty personal attacks that have come to define the fast moving world of iOS gaming. What's really new here is that the OP will also contain a list of all the best new releases for that month as they come out. This way we get to keep tabs on the best games and you (yes you), the mythical unicorn known as the iOS Novice will have an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed. As months go on, Community members can also use their turn on the OP to pimp their favourite games and genres. I know we're all looking forward to the eventual Kairosoft special!

ibyGkj5yaSHttK.png

December's Games!

Into the Dead Free, Universal (IAP and ads)
Gaffer made game that combines 2 overplayed genres (endless runners and zombies), yet it works really well. Props to the devs to getting the atmosphere and the feel near perfect.

mzl.jdnlsjfw.320x480-75.jpg

Trailer

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City $4.99
10 year anniversary for arguably the best GTA game. A great port with upgraded visuals and a revamped targeting system (tap dude to lock on).

wuNjql.jpg

Trailer

Modern Combat 4 $6.99
If you hate ios shooter controls, you will hate this as well. Otherwise, another decent single player story with a hilariously VAed bad guy and a solid full packaged mp with huge loadout and setup possibilities (biggest flaw is the rate of money to buy all this stuff though). If you liked the last one, this one is worth checking out. (As of the initial release, ipad 3 has native res but missing some effects, while ipad 4 is not native res, but has all effects, old devices have performance issues as is common with gameloft stuff).

mzl.sawvuvrm.320x480-75.jpg

Trailer

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition $9.99, iPad only

The stuff of legend now available for the iPad! Play the original game and be ready to import your character to the epic RPG, Baldur's Gate 2, re-releasing next year for the iPad. Dangerous wilderness to explore and evil 'round every corner. Don't forget to save often and gather your party before venturing forth! -Minsc

Seems like a decent port with it's share of bugs (as with the original version), but the team seems dedicated to keep patching it. Get it here or on pc or w/e. it's Baldur's Gate yo!

mzl.bxypomtg.480x480-75.jpg

The Grading Game $0.99

A surprise release that is pretty freaking awesome. Fix grammar errors and typos has never been so fun! Who'd thought?

A98Gh-XCUAADKJJ.jpg:large

Cook, Serve, Delicious! $2.99 (Sale price) iPad only. PC/MAC also available
Probably my favorite game of the 'restaurant genre'. Fast, hectic with tons of upgradables and customization. The writing is quite witty as well. If you don't have an iPad, get it on PC (will run on the shittiest ones. I checked!)

mzl.rjilzfkg.480x480-75.jpg

Giantbomb QL (PC Version)

Battle of the Bulge $9.99 , iPad only
A wargaming boardgame has never been so fun!!!
Play the famous battle as Axis or Allied, against 4 different AI (2 for each side) or challenge your friends via GameCenter async multiplayer or Pass&Play.
If you are into wargaming, get this game.
If you are not, get this nonetheless to see how an iPad app should be made.
Pure slickness. -PittaGAF

mzl.cxggnohf.1024x1024-65.jpg

Some recommended stuff from last month

ARC Squadron $0.99, Universal
It's an Unreal powered Star Fox like space shooter. Fun stuff, and only a dollar.
mzl.tbdvqgtr.320x480-75.jpg

Angry Birds Star Wars $0.99/$2.99, no universal
Two played out franchises for the price of one! People who are buying it will buy it. Loaded to the gills with IAP, but all the levels can be unlocked if you have the skills.
mzl.aumscjko.480x480-75.jpg

Puzzle & Dragons FREE, Universal (English version is US exclusive for some reason)
Match 3 or more Orbs of the same color to attack your enemies. Unlike most puzzle games, you can move an Orb as far as you want. Match the mystical Orbs and watch your Monsters attack. Collect tons of unique Monsters and assemble the best possible team. Quite addictive and quite charming. Need an online connection though.
mzl.krqgkikn.320x480-75.jpg

Check out November's OT for more recommends of last month!

iKylaboHIHZQG.png

Q - Should I buy this newly released EA game?
A - Nope, most are hot garbage and will be a dollar during the holiday sale.

Q - I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
A - Best iOS Games Ever v1 / Best iOS Games Ever v2. You're welcome.

Q- For gaming, should I get the iPad mini, or iPad 4?
A- Both have their pro's and con's. Mini is cheaper, and arguably a better grip for gaming, but the screen isn't as great and the device is less powerful than the 4. Most games these days all run fine on it, but I'm not sure about in a year.

Q- I'm a new iOS user, what non gaming apps should I get ASAP?
A- This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

iCkOQVdq9Br7F.png

How to Become an Official GAF iOS GameCenter Member

The List
updated: daily (mostly).

#RULES: How to get on the list / Update your profile / Add friends

• Send Fuu a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting:

GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)

• When you add someone, add FROM GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name so to easily tell who's who.
  • Also send Fuu a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS platform(s) owned (it's cool to know who has an iPad for all the games with separate SKUs), or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's ok to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFfers challenging us on the friends leaderboard.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: your real name will be visible to your GC friends
...and that's everything for now. This is a live OP and so will change as the month goes on so check back often.

Thanks to Fuu for handling the community list and to Tunesmith for the banners and graphics!

Have a jolly holidays!
ibeRWdo8lZegY7.png

Shaneus

Anyone able to suggest any games that are either infinitely better on iPad, or are iPad-only? I have a third-gen I want to get to know better :)

Shaneus

That Vectrex app is up, too. Didn't notice it was mentioned in the Nov. thread, but it's definitely here now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's gonna be a good month!

I played a little Walking Dead Assault, not really feeling it. Maybe when I pick up more characters it'll be a bit more interesting. It reminded me of what I expected Brainssss to be.

I'll check it out. What else? I don't care about multiplayer or online.

Piyo Blocks is good too, I guess, but nothing comes close to Zookeeper VS.

Out of interest, why do you need more than one match-three recommendation? The gameplay is always the same, once you find the best one it seems weird to have more than one on the go.

Hey Jedeye, did you ever finish your planned update to the November OT? I know you mentioned that you wanted to add Groove Coaster Zero and others...

Pachimari

Where's the Shadowgun Deadzone thread? It's one of the best games on iOS right now.

Interesting games (maybe) coming out next week:
- Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Modern Combat 4
- The Woods

I also have 40.000+ in freeappslots. When I hit 60.000 I'm gonna get Minecraft for free.

Until you absolutely gun a few rounds but still lose because the other player gets multiple hearts while you get none.

For every time this happens, and it's not really that common, there'll be another round that you win thanks to a lucky heart icon.

DaBuddaDa

Any impressions of Writer Rumble? It's that cool looking game from PAX a couple years ago about literary figures fighting through word puzzles, like a fighting game...it got remade and renamed and is finally out.

Shaneus

For every time this happens, and it's not really that common, there'll be another round that you win thanks to a lucky heart icon.
Not for me there ain't. I'd be inclined to say that for every battle I get one heart and my opponent doesn't, there'd be four where my opponent gets one yet I don't. Majority of the time when I get one they do too, but them getting one isn't ever an indicator that I'll get one in a later round (if I last that long).

I have a theory, that when they spoke of balanced games a while back (that each player each game has an equal chance), I think they mean that if you're rank 20,000 and you're playing someone ranked 150,000, the lower person will have more powerups and have an improved chance of winning. So if you're high up (which I have been once or twice, made it to rank ~50k) you'll get progressively worse hands when you play lower people. The amount of times I've lost massive strings of games only to win two or three back against people ranked higher than the ones I've lost to previously is ridiculous.

I understand that there's handicapping there, but when it can so drastically influence a match to the point where it's no longer even but heavily weighted *against* the better player, I'm inclined to think that the game on the server end is severely broken.

T.O.P

Banned
Anyone play the new Walking Dead: Assault? Getting raves over on TA, but you know how that goes...

Played through the first five chapters, it doesen't seem that deep on the strategic side, you still need to be careful how to approach zombies so it's still not a brainless action game, but the only thing you can do outside moving, shooting and collect objects is activate the different characters skills (Glen can distract zombie while other shoot them, Andrea can give like ten seconds to go around without alerting zombies etc.) and use cars or other objects to distract zombies

it's still quite enjoyable and the graphic style is really nice, but from the looks of it you can get tired REALLY fast

It could have been a lot better if every chapter was like a story driven sequence, recruiting new characters without a single explanation or anything is kinda dumb :/

GeekyDad

Played through the first five chapters, it doesen't seem that deep on the strategic side, you still need to be careful how to approach zombies so it's still not a brainless action game, but the only thing you can do outside moving, shooting and collect objects is activate the different characters skills (Glen can distract zombie while other shoot them, Andrea can give like ten seconds to go around without alerting zombies etc.) and use cars or other objects to distract zombies

it's still quite enjoyable and the graphic style is really nice, but from the looks of it you can get tired REALLY fast

It could have been a lot better if every chapter was like a story driven sequence, recruiting new characters without a single explanation or anything is kinda dumb :/

Well, just knowing the actual characters from the show are in this one is enough for me to bite. I'll probably play it when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks for the impressions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Like Tetris or puzzle games? Here's an interesting one, and it's free at the moment too.

Doptrix

Wow, this is great. The presentation is nice, and it's a really neat twist on the Tetris/Lumines block puzzle formula. It's familiar but inventive at the same time. I also like the pace of the game - no timer, but individual games are quick enough to finish in a couple minutes. It's free but I would have paid for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom