• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part I)

Phoenix

KyanMehwulfe said:
My understanding is that many companies hosting conferences, Sony included, were very strict about preventing video recording. I assume it's not a question about being able to upload but rather one if anyone even snuck in a device and was able to capture footage.

The last special GDC session I went to I was told that I couldn't bring in a camera, phone with camera, or videophone. Having any of those would mean being denied admission. Many of these things are about as close as you can get to NDA without signing something. In some cases, you will sign an NDA when going through the door (nVidia I'm looking in your direction).

fse

ps3 games are rendered at 720p but upconverted to 1080p if the option is available. thats what some have said, is that true?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
f_elz said:
ps3 games are rendered at 720p but upconverted to 1080p if the option is available. thats what some have said, is that true?

I'm not sure why there is a stigma that 1080p is such an unattainable resolution. You would probably have to scale back on some effects but its up to the developer to decide which would benefit the game more.

Striek

f_elz said:
There is no known standard for resolution (720p will probably be the most common), but the PS3s scaler will certainly scale it up to 1080p (and downscale to 480i, and probably a half-dozen resolutions in between).

So all PS3 titles will be '1080p' in the same way that PGR3 is '720p'.

Doube D

Phoenix said:
The last special GDC session I went to I was told that I couldn't bring in a camera, phone with camera, or videophone. Having any of those would mean being denied admission. Many of these things are about as close as you can get to NDA without signing something. In some cases, you will sign an NDA when going through the door (nVidia I'm looking in your direction).

ye well considering there is camcorder footage of GoW 2, id say its more an issue of not uploading than anything else. Why the fuck would they NDA something they showed to a crowd of people in a huge presenation?

Ark-AMN

Banned
Epic briefing was great. Well, especially to a level designer like me who's been stuck using UE2.

The mere mention of UE2 to the Epic people drew *ugh's* from them, it shows how much UE3 improves the whole process.

And it shows, Gears of War (which I wrote those impressions on) was indeed amazing, and I wish I could better elaborate on it, but it just has to be seen.

Same with UT2007, it looked fantastic and it was running on the PS3. It's going to be great.

And Cliffy B. is awesome. It was an honor to have met him.

As for video, Epic and others were quite strict about video this year, pretty much saying none at all, not even camera stills.

ant1532 said:
Why aint there no videos? IIRC there was lots of video footage from last years GDC... why not this one?

you used ridiculous double negatives and the video fairies cried. they say no videos.

oh and they wore orange shirts.

Phoenix

Doube D said:
ye well considering there is camcorder footage of GoW 2, id say its more an issue of not uploading than anything else. Why the fuck would they NDA something they showed to a crowd of people in a huge presenation?

Ask Sony for PS2 (their unveil required executed NDA) before launch, nVidia throughout last gen and probably at some sessions for this GDC. Just because they show it to a bunch of DEVELOPERS doesn't mean they are planning to share all that information with the public. They ALL have huge platform specific developers conferences with the same audience that are under NDA.

Phoenix

BlueTsunami said:
I'm not sure why there is a stigma that 1080p is such an unattainable resolution. You would probably have to scale back on some effects but its up to the developer to decide which would benefit the game more.

Fillrate and memory usage is punishing to actually fillout 1080p, especially for what it really buys you over upscaling to 1080p.

BlueTsunami

Phoenix said:
Fillrate and memory usage is punishing to actually fillout 1080p, especially for what it really buys you over upscaling to 1080p.

That is true. I just think its wrong to go about 1080p as if theres a brick wall between on route to that res (As the MS employee is doing, though..its probably FUD). I think we could see games with less flashy and hectic effects down the line with that particular resolution.

I think its cool that its there but it wouldn't really be that beneficial at this moment I guess, considering the user base with 1080p sets is so small.

Mrbob

Ark-AMN said:
Epic briefing was great. Well, especially to a level designer like me who's been stuck using UE2.

The mere mention of UE2 to the Epic people drew *ugh's* from them, it shows how much UE3 improves the whole process.

And it shows, Gears of War (which I wrote those impressions on) was indeed amazing, and I wish I could better elaborate on it, but it just has to be seen.

Same with UT2007, it looked fantastic and it was running on the PS3. It's going to be great.

And Cliffy B. is awesome. It was an honor to have met him.

As for video, Epic and others were quite strict about video this year, pretty much saying none at all, not even camera stills.

I'm going to put you on the spot. What was more impressive, Gears of War or UT 2007? :D

BlueTsunami

Calidor said:
downloading..

It looks to be the old vid...unless i'm looking at the wrong section

Mrbob said:
I'm going to put you on the spot. What was more impressive, Gears of War or UT 2007? :D

What are you Mrbob? The Fury! Your just asking for a flamewar with that loaded question...

>: )

Khalid-S

Calidor said:
downloading..

Hmmm, my connection is slow, so it will take alot of time to download 86 mb. But i think the video is old. the picture of the video is from E3 05 .. but the file name is " CES 2006 Sony PlayStation 3 Keynote "

Khalid-S said:
Hmmm, my connection is slow but i think the video is old. the picture of the video is from E3 05 .. but the file name is " CES 2006 Sony PlayStation 3 Keynote "

It's the CES video, I got the stream to work and its Stringer introduced Hirai.

Tiger

Banned
Nice false alarm there man. There is no new video there.

So no websites have uploaded the Motorstorm videos from today?

Doube D

i swear to god man. somehow people can get footage of a war zone and crimes against humanity in dirty 3rd world prisons, but ill be damned if ONE fuckin ounce of footage came out of that hall, with something like 1000 people in it. truely a disgrace :(

"wait till e3" sniff

Khalid-S

Ok this is new

GDC 2006: New PS3 Tech Demos

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148958

Downloading the video now.

pictures

media

media

Khalid-S

Goreomedy said:
Would you people PLEASE stop posting things without having seen it first? It's the old E3 duck demo and then a full minute of someone shooting a barrel in a dark, empty Unreal Engine 3 room. Watch before you report!

:/ ??

BlueTsunami said:
The UT2K7 Video is definately new

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just caught up on all the PS3 stuff.

PS3 region free? Holy fucking shit says many PAL gamers who don't import. No more waiting for software!

Time to start saving my penny's!

Dead

well not really...yet
PS3....region free......holy shit, will this be the case for Ps2 and Psone games being played on the PS3 as well? I doubt it, but one can hope :(

Ark-AMN

Banned
Mrbob said:
waaaa :(

Well, Gears of War was more of a game at this stage and it just seemed more complete. Although, UT 2007 did appear to be a bit sharper graphics-wise. Its hard to tell, but both will be great games for different reasons. The main draw of UT2007 for me will be of course UE3 and the new unrealEd.

It also sounded like the demo of UT2007 that was shown was made just for GDC and didn't take long at all, if I was hearing right. Which is a good sign for the UEd in general. The new "Kismet" level design system is great, and gets rid of lots of scripting that had to be done in UE2

Phoenix

Doube D said:
they crytek engine looks to be pissing alll over UE 3

Really? The Crytek seemed to have some frame rate and physics constraint solver problems performance wise. Everything reacted really slowly to the physics engine.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Dead said:
PS3....region free......holy shit, will this be the case for Ps2 and Psone games being played on the PS3 as well? I doubt it, but one can hope :(
Not too sure exactly, but if it's asked and confirmed come E3.. you'd be very stupid not to own a PS3.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
absolutely no videos. this sucks. I live in the San Jose area too....I feel so close to all this.....

Please Sony, make an exception and bypass the rules this year. release the videos!!!

Top Bottom