• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Developers Conference 2006 Thread (Part I)

SuomiDude

New Revolution hardware pics from GDC:

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/352

gdc06_rev2.jpg

Check the other pics and the article in the link. (Sorry if old, haven't been following the news much, but checked couple of pages back and didn't see this)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
As well as Sony keeping their options open, being vague about the HDD stops Microsoft knowing exactly what they are doing and stealing their glory by dropping the tard pack and upping the HDD size or something.

guise

Nice! Thats the first "in the wild" shot of the Rev i've seen ... the RR site appears to be dead ... is there any word of any branding on the console?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
SuomiDude said:

gdc06_rev2.jpg

Check the other pics and the article in the link. (Sorry if old, haven't been following the news much, but checked couple of pages back and didn't see this)

Site totally overloaded - can't view.

Does it look any smaller?

Iwata promised smaller - is it the same shell, or can you notice any differences?

123rl

SuomiDude said:

gdc06_rev2.jpg

The good:

It looks like a GC PSU...which means I can probably import a US Revolution and just plug my UK GC PSU into it. Easy importing FTW!

The bad:

No optical digital output? Damn...looks like Nintendo have gone cheap on us again and skipped digital sound :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sorry if old? Some Gamespot impressions:

Warhawk: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/warhawk/news.html?sid=6146401

The demo's focus put the player's plane up against massive airships that hover above a procedurally rendered ocean surface. Getting in close to the airship reveals some impressive detail, like weathered metal surfaces and very nice lighting effects. The game also appears to be able to push particles around very well, as evidenced in the tracer fire being shown in the demo.

Motorstorm: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/motorstorm/news.html?sid=6146416

The last part of the demo featured the bike kicking up mud onto another truck. In one of the neater aspects of the game's engine, you can get mud stuck to your car as the result of following another vehicle in front of you. Mud will usually be initially oozy and wet when it hits your car, but over time it'll dry off, leaving you with a coat of grimy goodness that would make any SUV commercial proud.

Resistance: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6146410

The brief demo of Resistance showed the player patrolling down a back alley of a war-torn city, where he encountered a number of insectlike, slightly humanoid enemy soldiers wearing backpacks. The main character countered these nasty bugs with a shotgun and machine gun that, like all of Resistance's weapons, will fully integrate with the game's comprehensive physics-modeling system. Another interesting weapon, much like Halo's needler, allowed the player to "tag" an enemy and then fire a number of shots that would then seek the target out, even around a corner.

SuomiDude

John Harker said:
Site totally overloaded - can't view.

Does it look any smaller?

Iwata promised smaller - is it the same shell, or can you notice any differences?

In a way it looks smaller. Maybe slightly more thick, but it also looks shorter... it's hard to say as it'd begind that glass, but the pic with DS gives a good view that it IS small.

Same shell as far as I can tell, though now we see the back of the system as well.

hadareud

The Translator
Nash said:
As well as Sony keeping their options open, being vague about the HDD stops Microsoft knowing exactly what they are doing and stealing their glory by dropping the tard pack and upping the HDD size or something.

Not only that, but it also keeps people talking about them. Just imagine the PS3 not coming with a hdd now - people will have assumed that it was standard, and will continue how superior the PS3 is compared to the other systems.

Should they drop it Sony can say that they never confirmed it, but that it is very important for the system. Which will cause people to think that it couldn't have been expected to come standard in the first place because you are already getting so much value for money. Also, since it is "so important for the system" it obviously will cause people to assume that the PS3 will make better use than the 360 for games of the hdd.

It's a brilliant plan really.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
SuomiDude said:
In a way it looks smaller. Maybe slightly more thick, but it also looks shorter... it's hard to say as it'd begind that glass, but the pic with DS gives a good view that it IS small.

Same shell as far as I can tell, though now we see the back of the system as well.

Ahh, yes, I see now. Cool!

We'll, I'm thinking maybe now that we see a fan vent, and a power code... that theres actually GUTS inside this one.

Pretty sure the E3 ones last year were just emtpy shell cases - this is probably thicker beacuse, well, it actually has some hardware inside the case

With it all set up like this, it's probably a safe bet there is some behind-closed-doors playing going on :)

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
123rl said:
No optical digital output? Damn...looks like Nintendo have gone cheap on us again and skipped digital sound :(

Doesn't need a full sized optical connector to be capable of digital audio. See Xbox.

If this is the final Rev chassis, it looks like the (now deleted) digital AV port is back. However, our current component cables will likely be useless as it doesn't look like there's a place for analog stereo any more. We'll need a new cable that actually uses the digital audio (which IS present, but unused on the current port, as 16/48 PCM stereo).

+Aliken+ said:
Not final, not final.

Good.

123rl

Beatbox said:
Doesn't need a full sized optical connector to be capable of digital audio. See Xbox.

Yeah, maybe. But the AV port looks like it's identical to the digital port on the GC.

123rl said:
Yeah, maybe. But the AV port looks like it's identical to the digital port on the GC.

Again, the digital A/V port on the Gamecube includes 16/48 PCM stereo, but the goddamn cable doesn't do anything with it. Some hackers have converted it to Toslink optical.

hadareud

The Translator
on region free:
1up said:
Question: Are all models of the PS3 going to be region specific. What about the games?

PH: The thing that makes the games region free or not is different than what makes the hardware different. With the power voltage and things like that, the hardware will need to be specific to a region. Software, however, will be region free. It's possible for developers to put all the TV formats - PAL, NTSC, HDTV, and so on - on the disc.

exactly like xbox and xbox 360 it seems. People should not get excited over the region free stuff, it seems it will be up to the publishers.

on the harddrive:
1up said:
Question: There's been some question over whether the hard drive will indeed be included with the PS3. Can you confirm either way?

Phil Harrison: As head of the software studios I don't want to be the one comment on the hardware, but I'll say this: developers are all designing their games to support the hard drive. All of our games are absolutely using the hard drive.

I don't know what to say. But it doesn't fill me with confidence ...

_bla_

123rl said:

The AV Connector looks like the digital out of the Gamecube, and the gamecube digital out actually transfers digital audio, it was just never used in a commercial cable, but some japanese guys hacked together a working toslink digital audio cable for the gamecube. Not unlikely they are going to use that feature of the digital out this generation.

Phoenix

Liquid said:
if people were really like this no one would have regular phone service and everyone would be using voice over IP because its free. MS is not doomed. unless its a 99% exact copy of XBL, people will still continue to use xbl or even *OMG* use BOTH!!! :O

People will certainly use both, particularly if they have both consoles :)

Rocked

Nightbringer said:
Revolution carcase seems made of metal.

No, I'm pretty sure it's made of the same material as the DS Lite. Just bad lighting in that picture.

I hope the black one still comes out though. :(

R0nn

ghostmind said:
Rev looks exactly like an external DVD burner on an angled vertical stand... how is that sexy?

Well maybe because, you know, it doesn't look like a external DVD burner on an angled vertical stand?

jarosh

hadareud said:
on region free:

exactly like xbox and xbox 360 it seems. People should not get excited over the region free stuff, it seems it will be up to the publishers.

"Software, however, will be region free. It's possible for developers to put all the TV formats - PAL, NTSC, HDTV, and so on - on the disc."

i'm not sure, but i don't think this is the same as on xbox or 360. he say's that software will be region free. the tv format is something else altogether. no matter what tv format the developer includes, if it's region free you should be able to play it in every region.

CrisKre

Cool that they are showing the wand with the analoge extension. It probably means that it will be included with the revo when it comes out and wont be just an add on. Im kinda relieved. And that shit seems TINY.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
hadareud said:
on the harddrive:
1up said:
Question: There's been some question over whether the hard drive will indeed be included with the PS3. Can you confirm either way?

Phil Harrison: As head of the software studios I don't want to be the one comment on the hardware, but I'll say this: developers are all designing their games to support the hard drive. All of our games are absolutely using the hard drive.

I don't know what to say. But it doesn't fill me with confidence ...

Argh . . . WTF? JUST SAY IT, PHIL!

"PS3 requires a HDD to play PS3 games, but that will be sold for an additional [/random $100-$199]. For the base price of [/random $299-$399] you will have a very capable BRD movie player and PS1/PS2 player."

THERE. Was that so hard, Phil?

/hopes to God I'm waaaaaay off-base . . .

EDIT: Cue BK "Where is your God now?" image. :lol

ghostmind

Why confirm now and give Microsoft more time to counter... as much as we would like to know this (and the price too), there really isn't a need to rush...

holy shit.....

Question: Would it be fair to assume that the titles you showed today are launch titles for the PS3?

PH: All of that will be answered at E3. It would be hard for me to speculate now, with the launch in November. I think it's fair to assume that the ones we showed you are going to be more advanced, though. In fact, that demo we showed of Resistance: The Fall of Man was created for a meeting in December; that code has been running since December. As you'll see at E3, you'll see some real innovations as they move onto the final hardware.

E3 will be godly

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jarosh said:
"Software, however, will be region free. It's possible for developers to put all the TV formats - PAL, NTSC, HDTV, and so on - on the disc."

i'm not sure, but i don't think this is the same as on xbox or 360. he say's that software will be region free. the tv format is something else altogether. no matter what tv format the developer includes, if it's region free you should be able to play it in every region.

This Q+A coverage seems to put it to rest - apparently it is completely the publisher's discretion whether there's region locking or not:

http://www.gamedaily.com/news/?id=10263

Also confirms free online multiplayer (with exceptions, i'm sure, like mmos etc.).

boutrosinit posted his more complete impressions here:

http://www.noooz.com/archives/2006/03/the_sony_ps3_keynote_from_gdc.html

He makes the online stuff sounds quite excellent..hopefully we'll see those pics ourselves :/

Top Bottom