• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier |OT| Cap's Best Friends

Batiman

Banned
Was pretty good overall. Decent start but yeah that bank scene didn’t really make sense. I seen at him being proud to not except money being a hero. Even Cap lived in a tiny apartment.

Mihos

Gold Member
Well, Falcon was technically still a fugitive on the run when he blipped, so I guess he would be dirt broke when he came back.

But you would think he could at least get a Geico commercial or some Wakanda grants

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
The economy would be in very bad shape if you think about it. Half the population disappears for 5 years then all of them come back, practically instantly. I probably wouldn't be giving a loan to a fishing boat that hadn't turned a profit in 5 years either. Instead of being surprised they couldn't get a loan I'm surprised there was a bank to get a loan at.

Seems to me like Falcon could easily make a few million simply with endorsement contracts.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Sorry but I can't buy an avenger being poor and needing a loan, he's effectively a secret agent working a high risk job for the military, but can't afford to fix a boat? Can't ask pepper for a loan? he saved half the literal universe but can't gofundme a few thousand dollars? So dumb.

Also really disliked how dumb they treat the audience, they drop some hints that the kid you see Bucky kill may be the old Japanese guys son, but then shove it in your face with zooming in on pictures twice because folks are stupid and need it spelt out for them, felt hamfisted.

Hopefully the script improves for future episodes

I was one of those stupid people.
LOL

I was thinking that the old Japanese guy was someone that Bucky knew during WW2 so the kid connection just flew over my head.

RE the bank scene, you're sitting there assuming it would be easy for them to get money.
I'm sitting her not assuming anything because we don't know anything about the post blip world. All we know so far is "how horrible things were" based on Haywood's account from WandaVision.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Caved and watched episode one. Mehhhhh. It's exactly what I thought it would be - your standard, average Marvel formula. Nothing remotely special, and nothing remotely offensive about it. It just exists. Basically the total opposite of Wanda.

bitbydeath

Caved and watched episode one. Mehhhhh. It's exactly what I thought it would be - your standard, average Marvel formula. Nothing remotely special, and nothing remotely offensive about it. It just exists. Basically the total opposite of Wanda.
It could still get interesting, I’m thinking this show will setup Loki since he is technically dead right now and his show begins in the next few months.

ManaByte

It could still get interesting, I’m thinking this show will setup Loki since he is technically dead right now and his show begins in the next few months.

Feige already confirmed (at SDCC 2019) that the Loki in the series is the 2012 Loki from Endgame:
Captain America Film GIF by Marvel Studios

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I liked the first episode. Coming off the slow as hell ZS justice league. That whole site chase was just what I needed to see.

though us agent looks dumb lol. He looks like the old man from up in a cap costume. Lol

Last edited:

Shouta

I liked the bank scene myself. There's a lot of ways to view that situation and it can mean different things for Sam as a character. That kind of layering is really enjoyable to me.

Sybrix

Was ok, quite entertaining, nothing special

I’m more into the weirder MCU heroes than guns blazing ones

Hope the series gets a more unique feel as it goes on, at the moment it feels like any average action show

VAL0R

Banned
Huge eyeroll that a massively beloved world-saving international celebrity Avenger can't afford to keep the crappy family fishing boat afloat. Hollywood can't let go of the "black man can't get ahead" narrative. What a joke. I can think of 10 ways he could make tens of millions in a year without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:

Fbh

It was ok.

Feels way more like generic marvel compared to Wandavision, though I guess that was to be expected.

The opening scene was nice. It's not quite movie tier but it's still pretty crazy how good some of these setpiece moments are starting to look in TV shows.

The rest was mostly setup but it seems like it could be fun.

And yeah, Falcon being broke seems kinda silly. Even if he is too proud to take money from his billionaire acquaintances, you'd think the job you see him do in the intro pays well. Or hell, ring RedBull and get yourself a nice marketing deal.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Huge eyeroll that a massively beloved world-saving international celebrity Avenger can't afford to keep the crappy family fishing boat afloat. Hollywood can't let go of the "black man can't get ahead" narrative. What a joke. I can think of 10 ways he could make tens of millions in a year without breaking a sweat.

Why are you even assuming it has anything to do with skin colour .........

The entire world was in chaos for 5+ years. With blipping billions of people away there was probably a major depression in the majority of countries. Then billions of people all of a sudden return, that's cause for more chaos.

Toons

Loved this first epsiode. First action scene was very well done and the parallel narratives of the two characters was great.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR

The entire world was in chaos for 5+ years. With blipping billions of people away there was probably a major depression in the majority of countries. Then billions of people all of a sudden return, that's cause for more chaos.

this was actually my favorite thing this episode dove into was offering the viewer to contemplate what the world would look like outside the action / fight scenes in a normal life scenario. Towards the beginning talking about the Flagsmashers group saying they wanted a no borders society back, what would people feel after a major world event like that? Would terrorism / hate go way down as people everywhere sympathize with having a similar plight. Maybe everybody coming together like I would hope would actually happen in reality if something world shattering ever did happen to all of us.

Also as you said, what would the world economy be like? For 5 years half your labor force (and not to mention consumer base) goes away, the jobs they were doing still have to be done (just in a smaller scale now due to demand). After everybody came back, I don’t think many of the returning people could just jump back into their jobs as businesses needed to move on and find a new job force to survive. The average worker lives close to paycheck to paycheck so a vast majority of people would be fucked in that case coming back to a situation like that.

In the end this is just stupid hypothetical spitballing on dumb things not meant to be investigated that much and while I highly doubt this show is going to go much more into it, the TLDR of this is I appreciate they gave me some context to think about this fantasy setting in reality.

Last edited:

sol_bad

this was actually my favorite thing this episode dove into was offering the viewer to contemplate what the world would look like outside the action / fight scenes in a normal life scenario. Towards the beginning talking about the Flagsmashers group saying they wanted a no borders society back, what would people feel after a major world event like that? Would terrorism / hate go way down as people everywhere sympathize with having a similar plight. Maybe everybody coming together like I would hope would actually happen in reality if something world shattering ever did happen to all of us.

Also as you said, what would the world economy be like? For 5 years half your labor force (and not to mention consumer base) goes away, the jobs they were doing still have to be done (just in a smaller scale now due to demand). After everybody came back, I don’t think many of the returning people could just jump back into their jobs as businesses needed to move on and find a new job force to survive. The average worker lives close to paycheck to paycheck so a vast majority of people would be fucked in that case coming back to a situation like that.

In the end this is just stupid hypothetical spitballing on dumb things not meant to be investigated that much and while I highly doubt this show is going to go much more into it, the TLDR of this is I appreciate they gave me some context to think about this fantasy setting in reality.

Regarding the bank situation, Sam has been back for about 6 months? Depending on the amount that is wanted for the loan, a bank won't look very favourably upon only 6 months of employment (especially if it's a job where you might die the next day). They generally want at least 12 months minimum for a stable full time job, at least in my country they do.

And I agree, I'm amazed this topic even came up for some people. It's not meant to be a talking point, just a small glimpse at every day life.

Davey Cakes

They gave us a good action set piece, a Winter Soldier flashback, and some character stuff. I’m content.

As much as I liked Bucky in the movies, he came off as a bit hollow, which is fair since he’s been a drone for the majority of his life. This series is already addressing that, and I appreciate it.

People bagged on WandaVision for being too slow but in retrospect, that show was best when it was building the world and focusing on Wanda’s character. I wish people would realize that the entire point of the TV show format is to let things breathe so we’re not just stuck with a style over substance action romp.

Last edited:

NahaNago

well I can say that I was able to get into this unlike wanda. Dropped wanda halfway throught the first episode and have since lost interest in going back. I was hoping for more of an action pack series and although the first episode kept me I'm kinda of just feeling this is merely okay.

Filth

I liked the first episode. Coming off the slow as hell ZS justice league. That whole site chase was just what I needed to see.

though us agent looks dumb lol. He looks like the old man from up in a cap costume. Lol
thank youuuu, Im not the only one that thinks his face looks weird as fuck. Maybe he didnt get the serum yet and hes gonna fiill in a little better? He just looks very off lol

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Was pretty good overall. Decent start but yeah that bank scene didn’t really make sense. I seen at him being proud to not except money being a hero. Even Cap lived in a tiny apartment.
Shield stopped bankrolling them, blip threw things into chaos, then Tony Stark stopped bankrolling them. Who's left to pay the bills?

bitbydeath

Shield stopped bankrolling them, blip threw things into chaos, then Tony Stark stopped bankrolling them. Who's left to pay the bills?
I don’t buy it.
Let’s say before the blip they only had between 1-10million in the bank. If they went broke over the five year period then people earning far less would never pay off their accumulated debt and suicides would be through the roof.

I think it was just poorly thought through.

sol_bad

I don’t buy it.
Let’s say before the blip they only had between 1-10million in the bank. If they went broke over the five year period then people earning far less would never pay off their accumulated debt and suicides would be through the roof.

I think it was just poorly thought through.

Poorly thought through? You're pulling random numbers out of the sky.
I don't think SHIELD ever bank rolled the Avengers, they only paid Steve, Natasha and Clint because they are members of SHIELD. Then the government body was dismantled in 2014, by 2015 Stark was actually funding the Avengers team.

We literally know nothing about the blip world and how everything was impacted. Maybe suicide rate is through the roof. The people that we have seen or heard about during the blip come across as pretty miserable. We also don't know anything about the Avengers financials, Starks empire could have crashed and burned for all we know. I wouldn't be surprised if we learn more details about the blip throughout this show, I think people should stop complaining about this element until we are presented the full story.

bitbydeath

Poorly thought through? You're pulling random numbers out of the sky.
I don't think SHIELD ever bank rolled the Avengers, they only paid Steve, Natasha and Clint because they are members of SHIELD. Then the government body was dismantled in 2014, by 2015 Stark was actually funding the Avengers team.

We literally know nothing about the blip world and how everything was impacted. Maybe suicide rate is through the roof. The people that we have seen or heard about during the blip come across as pretty miserable. We also don't know anything about the Avengers financials, Starks empire could have crashed and burned for all we know. I wouldn't be surprised if we learn more details about the blip throughout this show, I think people should stop complaining about this element until we are presented the full story.
Nah, Pepper is running the Stark Empire, they just gave away 500K in Spider-Man Far From Home which is set after End Game and Sam is still connected otherwise he wouldn’t have the suit.

sol_bad

Nah, Pepper is running the Stark Empire, they just gave away 500K in Spider-Man Far From Home which is set after End Game and Sam is still connected otherwise he wouldn’t have the suit.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier takes place 6 months after the blip, Far From Home is 8 months after the blip. Something might have changed in that time frame.
And of course Sam still has the suit, he blipped back with it on and he has no reason to give it away.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
thank youuuu, Im not the only one that thinks his face looks weird as fuck. Maybe he didnt get the serum yet and hes gonna fiill in a little better? He just looks very off lol
I'm worried they are trying too hard to make him unlikeable. Poor guy looks like a total goon.
Apparently this is a "down 'n' dirty" Cap. Maybe if they make him badass and charismatic at the same time, we'll like him too much. They need to at least do something with the ears on that helmet.

Toons

I'm worried they are trying too hard to make him unlikeable. Poor guy looks like a total goon.
Apparently this is a "down 'n' dirty" Cap. Maybe if they make him badass and charismatic at the same time, we'll like him too much. They need to at least do something with the ears on that helmet.

This character is known for being unlikeable in the comics but hes still a "good guy". So he's definitely going to be a douchebag in this series

DelireMan7

Funny discussion here xD

I am not gonna lie, I was surprised about all the "loan/money to fix a boat situation" but I can get over it. I don't need a TV show to be realistic so I don't care if "he should/shouldn't have some money because he's an Avengers or whatever world economic situation". It's a superhero show, it don't need to respect real world rules (actually I don't think any show/movie should be 100% "realistic").

Anyway ! I really liked it. Looks like it takes time to set up everything which is something I really appreciate.
I like Sam's dilemma with the shield.
I am really happy on how they deal with Bucky. I find really interesting how he has to deal with guilt due to his brainwashed assassin past.

Looking forward for the rest !

AJUMP23

Who says he is a super hero in the post blip world?
Plenty of evidence he is a super hero, he also was the key note speaker at a Captain America dedication. Widely known individual, people want selfies. And for military people there are special loans and programs as well.

sol_bad

Plenty of evidence he is a super hero, he also was the key note speaker at a Captain America dedication. Widely known individual, people want selfies. And for military people there are special loans and programs as well.

People still want photos of celebrities even if they haven't played sport for 20 years or been in a movie for 20 years.
And how does Sam being at Captain America's dedication make him a super hero? He is just a friend of Steve's giving a speech. I mean, the entire point of that scene is Sam rejecting the shield and rejecting being a hero, he even says they need new heroes.

Woo-Fu

Banned

For the same reasons Falcon's sister does. You look kind of ridiculous trying to pretend that an element baked into the script itself is only in a viewer's head.

sol_bad

Of course he is, the opening scene showed that.

He is doing a mission for the army/air force, he works for the army/air force. Sam's suit was developed by the army/air force. Sam tells the guy at the bank that he has military contracts, he's a soldier, not a super hero.

For the same reasons Falcon's sister does. You look kind of ridiculous trying to pretend that an element baked into the script itself is only in a viewer's head.

Where in the episode is race even mentioned in regards to the bank? Sam's sister says after the bank "You didn't see what mummy and daddy had to deal with" but that could mean anything. Thousands of people, including white folk, are most likely having trouble getting loans after the blip. It's even mentioned in the episode that the banks only care about big businesses right now.

bitbydeath

He is doing a mission for the army/air force, he works for the army/air force. Sam's suit was developed by the army/air force. Sam tells the guy at the bank that he has military contracts, he's a soldier, not a super hero.
How many other soldiers has superhero suits that allow them to fly?

NickFire

Saw the first one, and it was ok. Nothing special, nothing horrible. I'll definitely keep watching for now to see where it goes.

ManaByte

Good so far. Very clever to keep it so close after Wanda to keep subscriptions.
The goal for any streaming service is to have a continual stream of new content. Right when one show ends, another begins. That's why there are so many Marvel and Star Wars shows in the works and why HBO is doing one big theatrical movie a month right after each other.

bitbydeath

Here’s an article that deep dives into the BS bank scene.

Some funny quotes:
And let us quickly talk about Vision. He literally bought Wanda and himself land to build a home? With what money? And when? Surely if anyone doesn’t need to get paid it’s a robot who is a) probably Avengers property and b) also doesn’t need to eat or have anywhere to live. A synthezoid has enough money to build a house for his on-the-run witch wife and keep an apartment thousands of miles away, but Sam Wilson can’t pay his family’s mortgage?
You know who was definitely getting paid by someone: Hawkeye. This guy, the worst Avenger, owned a whole farm! Where did he get the cash? How many foreign dignitaries did he have to kill to purchase it? The people want to know!

Top Bottom