• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Captain America 4' in the Works With 'Falcon and the Winter Soldier' Showrunner

Cravis

Michael Scott No GIF

They’ve got rights to the X-Men back. Now do something with it! Before they’d tease and wink wink with fanboy shit. It was cool because they didn’t have the rights so we understood.

Now there is no excuses. Put up or shut up.

ManaByte

Gold Member
He didn't get him banned, the dude kept doubling down after being warned. He has no one to thank but himself
Reminds me of the Geeks and Gamers guy who was warned not to post TLOU2 leaks on Twitter and was like "fuck you I'll do what I want" and then Naughty Dog got his primary account nuked.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah only thing is what happened to Old Steve too? Glad they did this show and he truly earned it by the end.
He's on the moon.

He probably didn't jump back to his alternate timeline he created by going to Peggy in 1947 because when he stole the Pym particles he only took two extra vials. One to jump back to Peggy and then another to jump to the Prime timeline to give Sam the shield.

MrMephistoX

He's on the moon.

He probably didn't jump back to his alternate timeline he created by going to Peggy in 1947 because when he stole the Pym particles he only took two extra vials. One to jump back to Peggy and then another to jump to the Prime timeline to give Sam the shield.
I though his second jump after replacing the stones was a final one to Peggy in the 40’s? Seems like he just lived out his life with Peggy after replacing the stones then visited Sam and Bucky at the designated time as a widower after 70+ years had passed. Who knows maybe he just died peacefully in his sleep shortly after giving Sam the shield? He would have been in his 90’s.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I though his second jump after replacing the stones was a final one to Peggy in the 40’s? Seems like he just lived out his life with Peggy after replacing the stones then visited Sam and Bucky at the designated time as a widower after 70+ years had passed. Who knows maybe he just died peacefully in his sleep shortly after giving Sam the shield? He would have been in his 90’s.

That's not the way time travel was established to work in the movie. When he jumped back to Peggy in 1949, that created a new branch timeline separate from the one he came from originally. He couldn't just age out there and then wait for Bucky and Sam because he's in a different timeline. He had to make another jump back to his original timeline in order to give Sam the shield. That's why he took two extra vials when grabbing the Pym particles (you can see him holding the two when they return to 2023 with the stones).

And he wasn't in his 90s. The script establishes him as 112 in that scene.

MrMephistoX

That's not the way time travel was established to work in the movie. When he jumped back to Peggy in 1949, that created a new branch timeline separate from the one he came from originally. He couldn't just age out there and then wait for Bucky and Sam because he's in a different timeline. He had to make another jump back to his original timeline in order to give Sam the shield. That's why he took two extra vials when grabbing the Pym particles (you can see him holding the two when they return to 2023 with the stones).

Hmm that kind of doesn’t track though? Orginal Steve ceases to exist in that scenario. Although I guess that’s intentional because then they have an excuse to bring young Steve back in for a major event: who’s to say RDJ isn’t still alive in an alternate timeline too?

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
Gave up after three episodes thanks to the woke hammer.

And please, don’t give me none of this politics is over crap. So, no… do one.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hmm that kind of doesn’t track though? Orginal Steve ceases to exist in that scenario. Although I guess that’s intentional because then they have an excuse to bring young Steve back in for a major event: who’s to say RDJ isn’t still alive in an alternate timeline too?

Original Steve doesn't cease to exist. Original Steve went back to 1949, married Peggy, had his beautiful life and then (assuming she dies in 2016 in his altered timeline too) he then jumps back to the Prime timeline in 2023 to give Sam the shield. Old Steve IS Original Steve. He just grew old in a different timeline.

Gave up after three episodes thanks to the woke hammer.

And please, don’t give me none of this politics is over crap. So, no… do one.

Politics is over. If you don't like it, there's the door.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Depends who you ask. The writers and directors both had different explanations for how Steve showed back up. Either he left, created another timeline for Thanos to murder a bunch of people in while he sat on his ass with Peggy, then came back or the timeline we've been watching was already a secondary timeline where Cap married had Peggy and the two of them lied about it to young Cap, and that older Cap was just waiting for them on the bench. Both solutions suck.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Depends who you ask. The writers and directors both had different explanations for how Steve showed back up. Either he left, created another timeline for Thanos to murder a bunch of people while he sat on his ass with Peggy, then came back or the timeline we've been watching was already a secondary timeline where Cap married had Peggy and the two of them lied about it to young Cap, and that older Cap was just waiting for them on the bench. Both solutions suck.

The movie visually shows Steve with two extra vials. So what the directors actually filmed takes precedent to what the writers say.

The movie created three branched timelines:

1949 when Steve went back and married Peggy.
2012 when Loki stole the Tesseract (dealt with in the Loki series).
2014 when Thanos and his entire army vanished by going to 2023 and being snapped out of existence.

And who knows maybe those four vials of missing Pym particles in 1971 made one as well because Steve only returned the Tesseract.

kunonabi

The movie visually shows Steve with two extra vials. So what the directors actually filmed takes precedent to what the writers say.

The movie created three branched timelines:

1949 when Steve went back and married Peggy.
2012 when Loki stole the Tesseract (dealt with in the Loki series).
2014 when Thanos and his entire army vanished by going to 2023 and being snapped out of existence.

And who knows maybe those four vials of missing Pym particles in 1971 made one as well because Steve only returned the Tesseract.
The directors were the ones who claimed we were watching the secondary timeline all this time. I actually prefer the writers' explanation since it doesnt ruin the best scene in the Winter Soldier. They're both garbage regardless.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The directors were the ones who claimed we were watching the secondary timeline all this time. I actually prefer the writers' explanation since it doesnt ruin the best scene in the Winter Soldier. They're both garbage regardless.

When Cap went back to be with Peggy in 1949, there were two Caps in that timeline. The one from the future who came back from 2023 to marry Peggy and the other one who's still frozen in ice and won't be thawed out until 2011.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I wonder if Sam Cap is already slated to cameo in any of the movies already under production / in post-production. It seems like Marvel plans these things pretty far out.

sol_bad

Michael Scott No GIF

They’ve got rights to the X-Men back. Now do something with it! Before they’d tease and wink wink with fanboy shit. It was cool because they didn’t have the rights so we understood.

Now there is no excuses. Put up or shut up.

Feige said it was going to be about 5 years before any X-Men stuff was announced because they already had so much in production and pre-production. Make it 6 years with 2020. Which is one of the reasons I don't understand all these mutant rumors. Like with Wandavision Fox-men, FatWS and Wolverine in Madripoor and Omega Red in Shang-Chi.
Not happening.

Mutants will appear in their own film. Maybe hinted at in Eternals with it taking place over thousands of years.

Shai-Tan

Banned
No, NI was telling him that politics were no go under the new policies and he shouldn't continue commenting on him, the guy didn't budge and caught a week ban
what’s funny is that there are valid criticisms of that scene like this:

but some people insist on seeing and reacting to some kind of hidden agenda (yet go look on twitter and it’s a common opinion that it was cringe)

edit: that criticism was more content neutral but there were others about the content addressing the content — in contrast to catchall complaints that try to assign everything bad to a disliked label as if there was uniform belief about contents of a dumb super hero speech

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Spoiler the the last episode
So Falcon (Cap) catches the full weight of a truck with his hands and use the rocket propelled suit to lift it? no super soldier serum..?
How does that work? I'm sure that would actually kill him 🤔

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm guessing same way iron man welded a boat back together. It's a comic book tv show.
That's slightly different, I suppose it could be the suit, they never mentioned it having Blackpanther like properties but it could as they made it🤔

Last edited:

tsumake

So, will you get banned if you mention a dislike for a narrative due to overt political messaging? Why not discuss the validity of the observation? If one feels a show is too “left wing,” is that a bad thing, for example?

I like this forum but such bans are a slippery slope.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So, will you get banned if you mention a dislike for a narrative due to overt political messaging? Why not discuss the validity of the observation? If one feels a show is too “left wing,” is that a bad thing, for example?

I like this forum but such bans are a slippery slope.
You would have to ask the staff. My guess is that it's not allowed. It will just start an argument and that is what they are trying to avoid.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Original Steve doesn't cease to exist. Original Steve went back to 1949, married Peggy, had his beautiful life and then (assuming she dies in 2016 in his altered timeline too) he then jumps back to the Prime timeline in 2023 to give Sam the shield. Old Steve IS Original Steve. He just grew old in a different timeline.

Politics is over. If you don't like it, there's the door.

Wow, so we can't comment on the wokeness of media anymore? Congratulations ManaByte ManaByte and sol_bad sol_bad , you guys won and silenced everyone, no one can criticize Hollywood now in this forum. This is vintage GAF. :)

Last edited:

sol_bad

Wow, so we can't comment on the wokeness of media anymore? Congratulations ManaByte ManaByte and sol_bad sol_bad , you guys won and silenced everyone, no one can criticize Hollywood now in this forum. This is vintage GAF. :)

I never complained about anything or anyone. So I'm not sure what you are talking about.

*EDIT*
Besides, you can still be critical, it just requires you to actually critique a film and not just use buzz words.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I never complained about anything or anyone. So I'm not sure what you are talking about.

*EDIT*
Besides, you can still be critical, it just requires you to actually critique a film and not just use buzz words.

I love the party, I love Hollywood, I love Naughty Dog, I love Joe Biden.

Liamario

Banned
I don't find that Anthony Mackie has even a slight shred of charisma and especially in this show. I feel like they are forcing this to happen and I'm not buying in.
I think he has charisma, but I'm not buying him as carrying his own movie. I like him, but the falcon character has never interested me and still doesn't as Captain America. Bucky really should have become Cap, but I accept it didn't make sense with the story arc. The disappointment I feel from watching falcon and the winter soldier only solidifies my feelings on this.

Can't be worse than the first 3 Captain America or can it?

Won't pay for that movie, but I can't wait for Black Widow, Black Panther 2 and the next Guardians of the Galaxy.
Captain Marvel 2 can be canceled, too.
Anything with Captain in it, please

RAÏSanÏa

Can't be worse than the first 3 Captain America or can it?
The best Winter Soldier scenes are in two of those. Walker needs a coach to review the tapes with Zola tech enhancements?

On the subject of costumes, that'll follow character development. In no way does anyone seem ready from this series to engage with what's foreshadowed, not even for what they've encountered already.

OrtizTwelve

The show was entertaining but then slowly started drifting into PC nonsense towards the second half, especially with "that scene" at the end of the final episode where cap starts lecturing the politicians, pure nonsense I had to make sure I was seeing things correctly.

I liked the series a really lot, but I admit writing is not great at all

Hype for the project tho, I really love Sam's Falcon Cap, fucking badass, and can't actually wait to see him full fledged in action

sol_bad

The show was entertaining but then slowly started drifting into PC nonsense towards the second half, especially with "that scene" at the end of the final episode where cap starts lecturing the politicians, pure nonsense I had to make sure I was seeing things correctly.

Why is it nonsense? It's OK to forcibly push people out of their homes where they have been living for 4-5 years?

Ulysses 31

Why is it nonsense? It's OK to forcibly push people out of their homes where they have been living for 4-5 years?
So it's tough luck for those who got snapped back into reality and found their homes taken by strangers, right?

The snap does raise interesting questions which I don't think the current MCU writers will ever have the chops to answer without resorting to platitudes.

KrakenIPA

So it's tough luck for those who got snapped back into reality and found their homes taken by strangers, right?

The snap does raise interesting questions which I don't think the current MCU writers will ever have the chops to answer without resorting to platitudes.
I like to think how CPT Marvel shed light on it. There's a lot of universes out there...

sol_bad

It's very understandable that the people who are snapped back would be very annoyed if they found their house taken over by another family. Especially to them where they have literally not lost any time. Falcon and the Winter Soldier takes place 6 months after people have returned. The government has helped and taken in these immigrants for 4-5 years and within just 6 months want to kick them out asap. It doesn't and shouldn't sit right.

The government would need to work with corporations and banks to come up with a solution. The original home owners should be allowed to move back in to their own house but the immigrants shouldn't be kicked out of the country. The government should offer some form of temporary living situation and work on building new residential suburbs for all the new immigrants. House mortgages would need to be transferred and/or reset. It would be an absolute nightmare but it's something that could eventually be done.

And people calling Sam's speech lame because no solutions were offered, do you REALLY want to watch a 10 minute scene where Sam talks about the above crap that I typed? I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It's very understandable that the people who are snapped back would be very annoyed if they found their house taken over by another family. Especially to them where they have literally not lost any time. Falcon and the Winter Soldier takes place 6 months after people have returned. The government has helped and taken in these immigrants for 4-5 years and within just 6 months want to kick them out asap. It doesn't and shouldn't sit right.

The government would need to work with corporations and banks to come up with a solution. The original home owners should be allowed to move back in to their own house but the immigrants shouldn't be kicked out of the country. The government should offer some form of temporary living situation and work on building new residential suburbs for all the new immigrants. House mortgages would need to be transferred and/or reset. It would be an absolute nightmare but it's something that could eventually be done.

And people calling Sam's speech lame because no solutions were offered, do you REALLY want to watch a 10 minute scene where Sam talks about the above crap that I typed? I highly doubt it.
I skipped the show, but now I am curious. It sounds like the writers tried to do an analogy to some real world crisis and instead put themselves in an even harder hypothetical situation without a solution that doesn’t involve massive compromises.

Fucking 😂

skneogaf

The golden era of the mcu is over so we will have to get used to characters like new captain America. I just don't see how they will be able to get anywhere near what we got with Chris Evans and Robert Downey jnr.

Maybe, just maybe if they get the xmen correct in the future.

sol_bad

I skipped the show, but now I am curious. It sounds like the writers tried to do an analogy to some real world crisis and instead put themselves in an even harder hypothetical situation without a solution that doesn’t involve massive compromises.

Fucking 😂

No.
Thanos snapped people away and we saw in Endgame after the 5 year gap how water ports etc were overflowing with what was obviously immigrant boats.

DzQW3l8.jpg

Then you add another 500 million+ people on American soil after they are snapped back and it's easy to imagine that the county would be very over populated.
The generalised message of being better is definitely reflective of the real world because we as a human race can do better.
There are details about the MCU that swoop over the naysayers heads because they aren't paying enough attention.

Overpopulation in America would be a massive issue after Endgame, Sam knows that and the politicians would know that. There would be no easy solution but there has to be a middle ground.

Xenon

No.
Thanos snapped people away and we saw in Endgame after the 5 year gap how water ports etc were overflowing with what was obviously immigrant boats.

DzQW3l8.jpg

Then you add another 500 million+ people on American soil after they are snapped back and it's easy to imagine that the county would be very over populated.
The generalised message of being better is definitely reflective of the real world because we as a human race can do better.
There are details about the MCU that swoop over the naysayers heads because they aren't paying enough attention.

Overpopulation in America would be a massive issue after Endgame, Sam knows that and the politicians would know that. There would be no easy solution but there has to be a middle ground.

If it was Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Spider Man or Hulk(lol) would any writer ever dream of this story line? Probably not. Let's give the black hero a social economic catastrophe. This might have been an interesting topic to explore, just not with guys in costumes.

sol_bad

If it was Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Spider Man or Hulk(lol) would any writer ever dream of this story line? Probably not. Let's give the black hero a social economic catastrophe. This might have been an interesting topic to explore, just not with guys in costumes.

Steve Rogers? Yes of course, this sort of narrative topic goes very well with him and his character. He was very pro government during the first film and half of Avengers. But by the end of Avengers and definitely during Winter Soldier he no longer trusted or cared for the government. He did what he thought was right, if you watch Winter Soldier and Civil War you'll understand this.
You can bet he would not accept what the government are doing in this TV show, he is all about people having their freedoms and these actions are taking away their freedoms.

Thor, Iron Man, Spidey and Hulk are different characters that are suited to different narratives.

Top Bottom