• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Captain America 4' in the Works With 'Falcon and the Winter Soldier' Showrunner

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
No.
Thanos snapped people away and we saw in Endgame after the 5 year gap how water ports etc were overflowing with what was obviously immigrant boats.

DzQW3l8.jpg

Then you add another 500 million+ people on American soil after they are snapped back and it's easy to imagine that the county would be very over populated.
The generalised message of being better is definitely reflective of the real world because we as a human race can do better.
There are details about the MCU that swoop over the naysayers heads because they aren't paying enough attention.

Overpopulation in America would be a massive issue after Endgame, Sam knows that and the politicians would know that. There would be no easy solution but there has to be a middle ground.
It just sounds funny to me that some dude in a custome would be advising on how to properly deal with a crisis which no world leader or humanitarian organization has been able to control in real life.

Do they end poverty in next season? Do they also have an answer for how to stop wars?

I can suspend my belief for lasers, super strength and all that, I was a kid once, but I don’t think I could deal with them fixing the world as we know it.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

It just sounds funny to me that some dude in a custome would be advising on how to properly deal with a crisis which no world leader or humanitarian organization has been able to control in real life.

Do they end poverty in next season? Do they also have an answer for how to stop wars?
The particulars don't matter at this point. Sam's speech seemed to be centered on people acting on autopilot. Foreboding music :messenger_musical:
To elaborate on an earlier comment regarding foreshadowing and how much development every character still has to do: If the push came now every one of them at best would have a slightly longer lifespan by being useful as tentacle entertain for processing other humans before throwing themselves into the volcano. This is while the greater heroes are mopped up. All that development time will give plenty of space to explore those ideas you mention in a multidimension setting. Maybe some problems might find new avenues to solutions in the real world by getting people talking about them and the show developing from that. A kind of shared creative process.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

And people calling Sam's speech lame because no solutions were offered, do you REALLY want to watch a 10 minute scene where Sam talks about the above crap that I typed? I highly doubt it.
It would've been better than he gave. Without any context, how does Sam know if the GRC isn't already doing what they think is best with the means they have? He could've talked about a transitional period where all parties will have to work together towards normalcy again.

He doesn't show any insight of the chaos the GRC would've had to contend with an event like the snap would unleash on the world, let alone what an unsnap would do years after. He comes off rather smug with his recommendation to this very complex problem.

RAÏSanÏa

It would've been better than he gave. Without any context, how does Sam know if the GRC isn't already doing what they think is best with the means they have? He could've talked about a transitional period where all parties will have to work together towards normalcy again.

He doesn't show any insight of the chaos the GRC would've had to contend with an event like the snap would unleash on the world, let alone what an unsnap would do years after. He comes off rather smug with his recommendation to this very complex problem.
Trying something other than reseting(re-settling?) was part of Sam's message. Once what they were doing is done it's done. No one is going to work to bring any settlers back on the scale to relocate them back except some silly flagsmasher logic. Things were moving fast, maybe seemed odd. Isaiah mentioned the brakes were put on for better or worse.

Ulysses 31

Trying something other than reseting(re-settling?) was part of Sam's message. Once what they were doing is done it's done. No one is going to work to bring any settlers back on the scale to relocate them back except some silly flagsmasher logic. Things were moving fast, maybe seemed odd. Isaiah mentioned the brakes were put on for better or worse.
Which shows Sam's lack of insight on the situation. What if now there's simply too many people on one location because of the unsnap? Someone will have to make room.

sol_bad

I figured out an answer with my own logic, surely the audience doesn't need to be spoon fed every tiny detail? Are we seriously calling the target audience that dumb?

Ulysses 31

I figured out an answer with my own logic, surely the audience doesn't need to be spoon fed every tiny detail? Are we seriously calling the target audience that dumb?
I suspect a lot of current Hollywood writers do think that their audience is gullible and unable to come to their own conclusions these days, so yes.

I can come up with answers in my head too but the movie doesn't get any credit for it when I'm the one having to fill in all the gaps of knowledge of that world.

Last edited:

Mahadev

Dude. Stop. The politics is over.
Evilore was pretty clear man. No politics. You whining because the episode had the "preaching left" is pretty clearly politics.

Just trying to save you a warning or ban.
Literally everything you just described is politics. You are butthurt that the message at the end of the episode catered more to what you perceived to be one side of the political spectrum more than the other.

And I am not saying that you are wrong, but that is no longer apart of the forum.

Why is this backseat modding Karen allowed to do this for months now and speak on behalf of the forum? Is he part of the moderation team? Does he indeed speak on behalf of the administration?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Why is this backseat modding Karen allowed to do this for months now and speak on behalf of the forum? Is he part of the moderation team? Does he indeed speak on behalf of the administration?

He's trying to warn folks so they don't get banned. A few have already because they keep bringing politics into off-topic or Gaming.

Mahadev

He's trying to warn folks so they don't get banned. A few have already because they keep bringing politics into off-topic or Gaming.

His deep and genuine concern has been noted but in what capacity is he the one interpreting the rules here? Maybe it's the mods the ones who should do the warning?

tsumake

How would you deal with half the world’s population suddenly returning after five years?

Ulysses 31

Didn't you see my earlier reply?
We don't know the extend of the problems the GRC had to deal with and what options they had.

For all we know the GRC did make the best choice from all available options they had but here comes Sam telling them to do better.

tsumake

It's very understandable that the people who are snapped back would be very annoyed if they found their house taken over by another family. Especially to them where they have literally not lost any time. Falcon and the Winter Soldier takes place 6 months after people have returned. The government has helped and taken in these immigrants for 4-5 years and within just 6 months want to kick them out asap. It doesn't and shouldn't sit right.

The government would need to work with corporations and banks to come up with a solution. The original home owners should be allowed to move back in to their own house but the immigrants shouldn't be kicked out of the country. The government should offer some form of temporary living situation and work on building new residential suburbs for all the new immigrants. House mortgages would need to be transferred and/or reset. It would be an absolute nightmare but it's something that could eventually be done.

And people calling Sam's speech lame because no solutions were offered, do you REALLY want to watch a 10 minute scene where Sam talks about the above crap that I typed? I highly doubt it.

You had people living under the assumption that half of the population, including their friends, family, loved ones, were suddenly gone forever. How does getting corporations and government involved in redistributing property address the social and emotional impact of all these people suddenly reappearing? What if they don’t want to move? What about the people that suddenly reappeared after existing in oblivion for five years? What do you about nations that don’t have a strong sense of property rights?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
From their own words, the GRC was going to forcefully deport and resettle hundreds of millions of people and put everything back the way it was pre-blip (borders and such) without any nuance. There was debate over it in the last few minutes of episode 5.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
His deep and genuine concern has been noted but in what capacity is he the one interpreting the rules here? Maybe it's the mods the ones who should do the warning?
I'm not interpreting anything. The new rules are pretty clear. I'm just trying to keep people from inadvertently getting banned. I'm not sure why that is an issue for you to be honest.

Jooxed

Gold Member
The show was fine, The speech at the end was a little cringe. Hopefully the movie is great looking forward to it. But I think ill miss Steven rogers. Ive never been a fan of Falcon int he comics.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The show was fine, The speech at the end was a little cringe. Hopefully the movie is great looking forward to it. But I think ill miss Steven rogers. Ive never been a fan of Falcon int he comics.
I'm in the same boat as far as the comics go I was never much of a falcon fan, but Anthony Mackey is a fun take on the character and the chemistry between him and Bucky is just plain fun to me.

They have a good buddy cop kind of dynamic without it being too cringey or predictable.

Ulysses 31

From their own words, the GRC was going to forcefully deport and resettle hundreds of millions of people and put everything back the way it was pre-blip (borders and such) without any nuance. There was debate over it in the last few minutes of episode 5.
I agree it's not a good look for the GRC but what do we know of the other options they have in a world in that state?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I agree it's not a good look for the GRC but what do we know of the other options they have in a world in that state?

Nothing. Just inferred that they didn't even attempt to consider other options.

Either way, it's a reflection on current politics and how they don't allow for nuance in policy.

But that's for a different platform to talk about... Not here. The show was great and I'm looking forward to the movie!

sol_bad

Within the MCU, the government accepts taking on the responsibility of millions of refugees after the snap happens. Five years later they decide to kick them all out by force and put their problem on the rest of the world. Like you say, we don't know if the GRC looked at and tried other options. What we also don't know is what sort of situation these other countries are in. Some of these countries might now be defunct and unable to financially help their original citizens.
Lot's of refugees moving to America surely means that the countries they came from were in a very bad situation and that that situation worsened over the next five years. Less citizens, smaller workforce, industries collapse, etc etc etc.

tsumake

Within the MCU, the government accepts taking on the responsibility of millions of refugees after the snap happens. Five years later they decide to kick them all out by force and put their problem on the rest of the world. Like you say, we don't know if the GRC looked at and tried other options. What we also don't know is what sort of situation these other countries are in. Some of these countries might now be defunct and unable to financially help their original citizens.
Lot's of refugees moving to America surely means that the countries they came from were in a very bad situation and that that situation worsened over the next five years. Less citizens, smaller workforce, industries collapse, etc etc etc.

It surely means exactly that.

Yoboman

I don't find that Anthony Mackie has even a slight shred of charisma and especially in this show. I feel like they are forcing this to happen and I'm not buying in.
Watch a single interview with him. He is as charismatic as anybody in the MCU

Problem for him so far is directors not really letting that shine through. Kind of like Chris Hemsworth before Ragnarok

So it's tough luck for those who got snapped back into reality and found their homes taken by strangers, right?

The snap does raise interesting questions which I don't think the current MCU writers will ever have the chops to answer without resorting to platitudes.
"Move your feet, move your seat."

~ AAVE proverb

Top Bottom