• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind |OT| Why walk when you can ride?

im currently re-downloading this game on PC. Will give this game another shot. got to max level of PS4 then got the PC version then stopped playing because of other new releases at the time and just never really got back into it. Now with me not having nothing forward to look to as far as gaming goes besides destiny 2 on PC, im hoping to play this for the mean time till destiny is released.

dubq

Inclined to give ESO a try.

Want to get it on PS4. Do i just have to buy Morrowind to get everything?

There is a version of MW that comes with the base game as well, but I think the previous DLC will still need to be bought separately.

The most cost effective is probably to just get the Gold Edition of ESO and then buy the Morrowind digital upgrade.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If you're on NA I can help out. I sent you a friend request: wquinn

I am. Thank you. I'm around on nights (EST) and weekends, if that works. Yesterday, I totally finished Glenumbra save for those group activities I mentioned above. Game is telling me to head north into a new zone, though first I need to help the Prophet save that Lyris lady from the tutorial. That's where I stopped last night.

Mejilan

Is there an easy way for me to get to you? I am only level 10, but I am a healer and that might be all you need. I am unfortunately in the beginning areas of the EP story, though.

No idea! I've never grouped in this game, so I don't yet understand how it all works. Especially since the One Tamriel update. Looks like we could potentially get a party together though.

Bizzquik

There is a version of MW that comes with the base game as well, but I think the previous DLC will still need to be bought separately.

The most cost effective is probably to just get the Gold Edition of ESO and then buy the Morrowind digital upgrade.

Good call.
That wouldn't include the two 4-player dungeons of the "Shadows of the Hist" DLC, but I don't think any new player would miss anything by not having these two dungeons. (...when there are close to two dozen 4-player dungeons already)

Xando

I see. Can i upgrade the retail gold edition(It's like 30€ cheaper than digital) or does that only work with digital copies?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I hate that this is part of the Elder Scrolls online and not a true open world single player experience :( But I will still give it another shot, just because its Morrowind.

dubq

I am. Thank you. I'm around on nights (EST) and weekends, if that works. Yesterday, I totally finished Glenumbra save for those group activities I mentioned above. Game is telling me to head north into a new zone, though first I need to help the Prophet save that Lyris lady from the tutorial. That's where I stopped last night.

For sure - shoot me a message on PSN when you're on next! I'm also on EST and usually around nights. I get my PSN messages on the Android app so I can let you know right away if I'm around or not. :)

No idea! I've never grouped in this game, so I don't yet understand how it all works. Especially since the One Tamriel update. Looks like we could potentially get a party together though.

Oh yeah, once you group up, you get the option to teleport to any of the group members. There are also markers that show up on the maps to show you where your teammates are. :)

I see. Can i upgrade the retail gold edition(It's like 30€ cheaper than digital) or does that only work with digital copies?

I think you should be a-ok with that. The physical version will still require the disc to be in your console, but the digital Morrowind upgrade will just apply itself to your installed files. In the PSN store, the Morrowind upgrade is under add-ons, fyi.. the ones under bundles are the versions that come with the vanilla game as well.

I hate that this is part of the Elder Scrolls online and not a true open world single player experience :( But I will still give it another shot, just because its Morrowind.

Oh man, when did you play last? The bulk of it is soloable now, so I think you may enjoy it. I really only group up if I'm having a super tough time making it through a world boss or a dungeon, or if someone needs my help. :)

I think they try and do a good job of adding some of the ES touch, like stealing, attacking guards, having bounties, etc.

But, it will never feel like a true SP scrolls game, imo. However, I do think the blending of scrolls and MMO is done very well here. In fact, I think it's arguably some of the best questing in an mmo currently.

Pagusas

Elden Member
For sure - shoot me a message on PSN when you're on next! I'm also on EST and usually around nights. I get my PSN messages on the Android app so I can let you know right away if I'm around or not. :)

Oh yeah, once you group up, you get the option to teleport to any of the group members. There are also markers that show up on the maps to show you where your teammates are. :)

I think you should be a-ok with that. The physical version will still require the disc to be in your console, but the digital Morrowind upgrade will just apply itself to your installed files. In the PSN store, the Morrowind upgrade is under add-ons, fyi.. the ones under bundles are the versions that come with the vanilla game as well.

Oh man, when did you play last? The bulk of it is soloable now, so I think you may enjoy it. I really only group up if I'm having a super tough time making it through a world boss or a dungeon, or if someone needs my help. :)

Last time I tried it was 6 months after launch.

I played this when it launched on the consoles a few years ago. I actually had a lot of fun with it and then just stopped. Picked the game up pre-owned to get a head start before I pick up the Morrowind expansion.

dubq

How does this install? Just like the other DLC? Just purchased the Collector's Edition upgrade today.

I think all of the DLC gets installed through the game patches and players just pay to unlock it. They went this route as it's easier to open or close access based on your subscription status..

I'm betting that Morrowind is probably going to be a bigger separate patch on launch day.

Mejilan

I only just installed the Gold Edition on PS4 on Friday/Saturday and the download clocked in at a substantial 64GB. I was hoping it already included "pre-loaded" Morrowind content, but I guess not.

:/

I only just installed the Gold Edition on PS4 on Friday/Saturday and the download clocked in at a substantial 64GB. I was hoping it already included "pre-loaded" Morrowind content, but I guess not.

:/

Yeah, I don't think so. Probably looking at a big patch that will install the morrowind files.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

SZips

Is there a good guide out there to leveling fast?

You really don't need to level up fast since their whole "One Tamriel" update. Just go and do whatever you want, whenever you want. It's been nice not having to worry about missing content due to my level. I suppose if you still want to level up fast for quick skill points or whatnot, there are probably guides out there that may help. I don't know any off the top of my head though.

RevenWolf

I'm in australia, would anyone be up for grouping up on PS4?

I don't have any IRL friends that play mmos and playing this alone wouldn't scratch the mmo itch properly.

Man I wish the PS4 had mods like the PC version. Would be so nice to have the lorebooks and skyshards addons instead of having to constantly look at my phone.

Sooo I kinda want to get this as my f2p MMO when i'm taking breaks from FFXIV...but I have a couple of questions. Is the story entertaining enough (i'm not saying interesting per se, but is it fun to play along and see what happens) to support it or is the general moment to moment gameplay and loot fun?

Also with this level scaling...how does that affect progression, or a sense of achievement? I mean if I'm doing a quest to take down a bandit leader vs a quest to kill a demi-god...basically does the scaling sorta harm the experience? I don't really mind level scaling in games but bar Legion, haven't played it in an MMO before.

Sooo I kinda want to get this as my f2p MMO when i'm taking breaks from FFXIV...but I have a couple of questions. Is the story entertaining enough (i'm not saying interesting per se, but is it fun to play along and see what happens) to support it or is the general moment to moment gameplay and loot fun?

Also with this level scaling...how does that affect progression, or a sense of achievement? I mean if I'm doing a quest to take down a bandit leader vs a quest to kill a demi-god...basically does the scaling sorta harm the experience? I don't really mind level scaling in games but bar Legion, haven't played it in an MMO before.

I'm super new to the game, only 4 or 5 hours in it so far, so take my answer with a grain of salt:

The story is pretty good, the side quests feel like they have a reason and driving force behind them, and have had some good variety. The moment-to-moment gameplay is also fun. There's some concessions they had to make in regards to making Elder Scrolls combat into an MMO, but it tends to be fun to play and plays quite differently from tab-targeting MMOs. The side quests aren't going to blow your mind for writing, but they're a lot closer in quality to a single player RPG than most MMOs reach.

What I really like is how free form the leveling system and character building feels. There's probably popular builds like in every game, but there's a lot of freedom in how you want to build your character, and I've unlocked new skill trees from quests so it seems like there's even more options i'll unlock as I play the game. You're not locked into anything beyond what your class's core abilities are. I can play a mage and wear heavy armor with swords and make that work, or I can ignore all the mage abilities and turn myself into a stealthy archer, or a berserker with drain abilities or anything else I come up with.

I can't really answer the leveling scaling stuff as i'm low level.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
For sure - shoot me a message on PSN when you're on next! I'm also on EST and usually around nights.....

I might have to add you :D... I'm usually on with my crew in a Group Chat when I am on at night in the EST as well. We're not always up for playing the same games, but usually are up for some chat at the least, so.. usually a group chat. I've been a bit busy lately dealing with some outside of gaming issues so I've not been on much, and I'm usually off by 10PM EST.

My PSN is Darklor.. but there is more than one of that Nick. Might be easier for me to add you if you like. If not, that's cool too.

Enclose

Tried to give it a new try a few hours ago. Just deinstalled it, the CPU Multicore is just non existent. So sad.

Enclose

Did you try changing the "MaxCoresToUse" value in the UserSettings file?

No, but its set on "6" for me at default and its still just using 1 Core at 100% and the rest is afking at 5-15% and thats noticeable ingame. Want to play it but when i see a game using just 1 full Core of my 8 im a bit disappointed and its taking my enjoyment to play it longer.

I'm super new to the game, only 4 or 5 hours in it so far, so take my answer with a grain of salt:

The story is pretty good, the side quests feel like they have a reason and driving force behind them, and have had some good variety. The moment-to-moment gameplay is also fun. There's some concessions they had to make in regards to making Elder Scrolls combat into an MMO, but it tends to be fun to play and plays quite differently from tab-targeting MMOs. The side quests aren't going to blow your mind for writing, but they're a lot closer in quality to a single player RPG than most MMOs reach.

What I really like is how free form the leveling system and character building feels. There's probably popular builds like in every game, but there's a lot of freedom in how you want to build your character, and I've unlocked new skill trees from quests so it seems like there's even more options i'll unlock as I play the game. You're not locked into anything beyond what your class's core abilities are. I can play a mage and wear heavy armor with swords and make that work, or I can ignore all the mage abilities and turn myself into a stealthy archer, or a berserker with drain abilities or anything else I come up with.

I can't really answer the leveling scaling stuff as i'm low level.

Ah, cheers.

A lot it sounds appealing as an MMO for me to play pretty casually - it's just the way I might play it could be weird with the scaling. I will probably throw caution to the wind when I wake up one morning though and buy it

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Reactivated my old account and upgraded to Morrowind, i said fuck it, for 19 quid I can't go wrong

Need more Elder Scrolls in my life

Stiler

Thinking about picking this up, been itching for an mmo.

I haven't played since like 3'ish months after release on the pc.

Anyone have a friendly active guild? I find that's the most helpful thing to enjoying an mmo.

Also how's the playerbase on pc? Is it easy to find groups and other players while out in the world, especially older areas/lower level zones?

justjim89

Some of the most famous areas from Morrowind seem kinda empty. Vivec is under construction so less than a third of it is there and Balmora is bigger but you can barely enter any buildings and there's not as many businesses. I don't know if more will open up when the game launches proper, but right now it's a bummer. They could've done so much more with Morrowind's most famous cities.

It's like they're waiting so they can sell us a Morag Tong DLC next year.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Thinking about picking this up. Anyone with tips on a fun to play class/play type? I'm not looking for hard core min/maxing (had enough of that from WoW almost 10 years ago) but just fun and ability to solo reasonably well (it sounds like most classes can do this).

Thinking about picking this up, been itching for an mmo.

I haven't played since like 3'ish months after release on the pc.

Anyone have a friendly active guild? I find that's the most helpful thing to enjoying an mmo.

Also how's the playerbase on pc? Is it easy to find groups and other players while out in the world, especially older areas/lower level zones?

Pretty sure Bethesda said player base is basically even amongst all platforms

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I need my Morrowind fix. Long overdue.

But if it involves being spammed by cliff racers, I might think carefully before getting it.

Seriously though, anyone know how close to the original it is? Is it a 1:1 remake or has it been nerfed a bit?

The level scaling is locked to your level. That means that no matter where you go on the entire island, everything will be your level. So if you decide to crawl into a small goblin cave or a massive demon den, it's all exactly the same. There is zero sense of danger or progression, other than getting new spells to use against things that are always your level.

This is nothing at all like morrowind, other than the graphics and map.

Thinking about picking this up. Anyone with tips on a fun to play class/play type? I'm not looking for hard core min/maxing (had enough of that from WoW almost 10 years ago) but just fun and ability to solo reasonably well (it sounds like most classes can do this).

I've tried all the classes and to me the templar is the best solo class, but then again someone else might like sorcerer because of the pets.

dubq

The level scaling is locked to your level. That means that no matter where you go on the entire island, everything will be your level. So if you decide to crawl into a small goblin cave or a massive demon den, it's all exactly the same. There is zero sense of danger or progression, other than getting new spells to use against things that are always your level.
That's not entirely accurate. Enemies (esp mobs and world or dungeon bosses) still have variance in their skills and buffs, which still makes them a challenge when you're soloing... and you also have to take into consideration your gear efficiency rating (the stars in your character profile).

djnewwest

Banned
ESO has been one of the biggest disappointments in gaming. It feels like a cheap Chinese imitation of elder scrolls.

It's that damn graphic engine they use. Terrible running animations, jumping animations. Some of the ugliest armor and equipment models ever made. No cloaks ever, because the engine can't handle it. No swimming under water, no flying. And the worst UI for an mmo ever made. Everything is on one big list when you look at your bags trying to sort through all the shitty loot you pick up. The loot is so boring and ugly, You can't tell the difference between a lvl 5 noob and a max lvl player wearing the best gear in the game. It all looks the same. A lvl 1 great sword looks identical to a max lvl epic great sword of magical whatever.
And you only get like 5 skill slots that can be active per weapon. Meaning very little skill builds and strategy. Cookie cutter builds.

I've played since closed beta, and every once in a awhile I reinstall to check it out and usually delete it after about an hour.

I started a character like a year ago and dropped it for something else. Can I start a new character now or do they limit you from restarting from the beginning?

I tried to pick up a daily Quest taking out a Hunger and got my ass handed to me. The game is definitely not lacking for challenge.

Taker34

Banned
ESO has been one of the biggest disappointments in gaming. It feels like a cheap Chinese imitation of elder scrolls.

It's that damn graphic engine they use. Terrible running animations, jumping animations. Some of the ugliest armor and equipment models ever made. No cloaks ever, because the engine can't handle it. No swimming under water, no flying. And the worst UI for an mmo ever made. Everything is on one big list when you look at your bags trying to sort through all the shitty loot you pick up. The loot is so boring and ugly, You can't tell the difference between a lvl 5 noob and a max lvl player wearing the best gear in the game. It all looks the same. A lvl 1 great sword looks identical to a max lvl epic great sword of magical whatever.
And you only get like 5 skill slots that can be active per weapon. Meaning very little skill builds and strategy. Cookie cutter builds.

I've played since closed beta, and every once in a awhile I reinstall to check it out and usually delete it after about an hour.

I don't think you played any Elder Scrolls long enough to release such a statement. First of all you couldn't fly in any modern 3D TES game with the exception of levetation in Morrowind; don't know what you're on about with cloak since it works fine; what would you gain from swimming underwater in an MMO, let alone in previous TES titles. Lvl1-50 armor does look different and changes the appearance as you craft it - when reaching CP160 weapons and armor have a red rubidte color even.

Difference between Lvl 1 and 50 Imperial style armor (changes every 10 levels):
img_0992buuas.png

Dyed End game armor:
img_0990pyuoa.png
img_0991vfuem.png

There are a ton of builds out there, 10 skill slots + gear sets + CP distribution + classes + weapon archetypes + roles allow for more than enough builds, there are a bunch of successful and popular theorycrafters out there for PvE and PvP!

It really wouldn't hurt you to become more knowledgeable before criticizing the points of the game which generally get a lot of praise from players and MMO YouTubers: Graphics, freedom and build diversity. Veteran players can easily tell that you only barely and superficially touched the game - you really sound like those who want and expect a co-op Skyrim.

There is a healthy end game scene out there and if you don't believe me then check out the YouTube reviews of ESO: One Tamriel/ Tamriel Unlimited which are since then overwhelmingly positive.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.

I don't play the game and I can say with quite a bit of confidence that most of this is pretty wrong

Top Bottom