• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dollop [Podcast] -Comedians Discuss American History (w/ must-listen Iraq war ep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been updating consistently but who's counting?

Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine magicians of the late 1800'.

As soon as I saw the title of the episode I knew it would involve the legendary Chung Ling Soo and Suee Seen, but it name drops all the greats of the era, including Harry Houdini and Alexander Hermann.

2d29c9188cae2d588bed10a487d965c4.jpg

Solid and funny episode about some the most notorious magician lore. The only thing that got on my nerves was the tittering of two stand-up comedians about the magic community - apparently, they find it hilarious mystery performers have dedicated journals, venues and rivalries over stolen material... none of which exists in the comedy scene, right?

My single favorite podcast probably. Certainly the best favorite podcast, if that makes sense. I really like another podcast but its no where near as good or funny, just about movies really.

I just wish there weren't so many live shows as I hate live shows with their breathless sound.

Buckle

Sometimes there are episodes that are just really hard to get through.

Not becuase they're bad, its definitely informative but because they're not really anything nonsensical or funny about it like the ones more like Otto in the Attic and Tickle Competition and its just a rough recap of how shit we are/were, like some sort of hellmouth was built under the united states that just turns people into greedy self righteous assholes.

Acadian episode is like that. Its just very draining. I don't know how Dave does it, much less poor Gareth who is probably now 500 times more cynical than he was before he started doing this podcast.

Jag

Need some more good recommendations, already got Otto, Iraq, Boston Busing, Subway Strike and Tickling.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Not becuase they're bad, its definitely informative but because they're not really anything nonsensical or funny about it like the ones more like Otto in the Attic and Tickle Competition and its just a rough recap of how shit we are/were, like some sort of hellmouth was built under the united states that just turns people into greedy self righteous assholes.

Acadian episode is like that. Its just very draining. I don't know how Dave does it, much less poor Gareth who is probably now 500 times more cynical than he was before he started doing this podcast.
Yeah I found after like the first 50 episodes I wasn't laughing much and I'm just learning history with Gary commenting how ridiculous it is.

Will second the recommendation for the jetpack episode. I tend to find the best ones are where you don't expect it to be too crazy, and the jetpack one gets absolutely nuts.

Buckle

Will second the recommendation for the jetpack episode. I tend to find the best ones are where you don't expect it to be too crazy, and the jetpack one gets absolutely nuts.
Oh god yes.

Can't believe I forgot that one. I keep coming back to that episode to really bask in the craziness and drink it in.

To quote Dave, its like a movie where someone touches something and then they go insane.

ghostmind

Haven't been updating consistently but who's counting?

Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine magicians of the late 1800'.

As soon as I saw the title of the episode I knew it would involve the legendary Chung Ling Soo and Suee Seen, but it name drops all the greats of the era, including Harry Houdini and Alexander Hermann.

Solid and funny episode about some the most notorious magician lore. The only thing that got on my nerves was the tittering of two stand-up comedians about the magic community - apparently, they find it hilarious mystery performers have dedicated journals, venues and rivalries over stolen material... none of which exists in the comedy scene, right?

Your image isn't of Chung Ling Soo, but Chang Woo Gow, the "Chinese Giant".

This is Soo...

e8RxAOw.jpg

Another fantastic episode. The Dollop has become the main podcast I listen to.

I don't know if anyone agrees, but every time they do a live dollop I am dissapointed. I prefer it's just Dave and Gary in a room, and not on stage with crowd noise and other comedians that detract from the experience. I was genuinely disappointed when the eugenics episode ended up being a live episode.

Loxley

"America's Worst Lottery Winner" is still one of my favorite episodes.

Prior to listening to this podcast, I thought I had a pretty good grasp on how blatantly, horribly, overtly racist this country used to be...but man I had no idea just how fucking blatantly, horribly, overtly racist this country used to be you guys.

Like, Jesus Christ. I feel like I need to take a shower after some of these episodes I feel so disgusted. Still though, I'm actually thankful for the harder-hitting episodes, they've helped educate me on just how fucking sugar-coated our history has become. Like you said, I don't know how Dave does it.

Coolluck

"America's Worst Lottery Winner" is still one of my favorite episodes.

Prior to listening to this podcast, I thought I had a pretty good grasp on how blatantly, horribly, overtly racist this country used to be...but man I had no idea just how fucking blatantly, horribly, overtly racist this country used to be you guys.

Like, Jesus Christ. I feel like I need to take a shower after some of these episodes I feel so disgusted. Still though, I'm actually thankful for the harder-hitting episodes, they've helped educate me on just how fucking sugar-coated our history has become. Like you said, I don't know how Dave does it.

Used to be?

Saya

I just recently discovered the podcast and I'm working my way back from The Opium Wars episodes and I just want to say some of these episodes have me HOWLING from laughter. I listen to them while working out and sometimes I need to stop doing what I am doing because I can't help but laugh out loud. Last one I listened to was the Newsies Strike. Very informative and just hilarious. Racetrack Higgins. I can't even.

Buckle

Well, time for another Dollop that will make you hate the human race.

The caning of summer

How do you hit a man 50 times for defending the right for human beings to be free and not property and convince yourself that you are righteous and have any tiny shred of honor at all?

Jesus.

Just finished listening to the episode about the LAPD in the 20s and 30s, and Clifford Clifton.

Holy
Shit.

My beloved hometown was an absolute shit pile, unexpectedly reformed by a restaurant owner who had his own astonishing secret side life.

I wouldn't even know where to begin telling the story. Absolutely out of control.

Joe

The live episodes usually stink but the last few have just been Dave and Gary without extra guests and they have been really good.

RollerMeister

Neo Member
I just recently got into this podcast, because someone linked to the Uber episode here on Gaf in relation to Uber being banned in UK.

I've since then gone back and started from the first episode, and boy it's been a ride. A hilarious, horrifying and utterly baffling ride.

And it's also raising my own interest in researching my own country's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom