• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dollop [Podcast] -Comedians Discuss American History (w/ must-listen Iraq war ep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man that Iraq one is insane. It really should be broadcasted all over America because people don't seem to understand just how badly America fucked that country up and left it in pieces.

People give Obama shit but man all he was doing was picking up the pieces that was left after Bush and honestly the damage done to the whole infrastructure of that country would take years to fix if it even can at this rate.

By the way thanks neogaf for introducing me to this podcast, it's my new addiction. Comedy is the way history and politics should be taught.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well was looking for a podcast just now to listen to at work and thanks to the latest bump, I'm starting it from the beginning.

I work overnight and I'm in tears over papa gowa or whatever the Zanzibar ghost's name is. My coworkers are staring at me all weird because of it lol.

It's so weird when you read a post and it's literally the exact same thing you were doing. I can't stop laughing in my cube at that 5 minute riff they did on papobowa.

I think the Newport Sex Scandal will always be my favorite episode.

This got me through a flight to London, giggling like crazy while being stared at. The best Dollops start from an insane premise... and then the floor drops out and it gets even crazier. Newport Sex Scandal just doesn't let up.

I wonder if Rachel Dolezal turns up in a future episode.

tommy-cooper.jpg

REVERSE!

Small summary of the first 20 minutes:
Gareth Reynolds and Dave Anthony examine comedian Tommy Cooper and his obsession with magic in England. To the point it makes him a comedian

https://play.google.com/music/m/Dov..._Dollop_with_Dave_Anthony_and_Gareth_Reynolds

http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/Tom_Cooper.mp3?dest-id=139740

also note there will be a bunch of Reverse Dollop's coming up including 2 Smallops

Reverse!

http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/The_Falling_Pilot.mp3?dest-id=139740

https://play.google.com/music/m/Dp6..._Dollop_with_Dave_Anthony_and_Gareth_Reynolds

Small smallop summary:
Gareth Reynolds and Dave Anthony examine pilot William Rankin, the falling pilot. On July 26, 1959, Rankin was flying from Naval Air Station South Weymouth, Massachusetts to Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort in South Carolina then it happened. He and another pilot flew over a storm, little did they know it was the worse possible storm. A tornado creating type storm and for the next hour his life will never be the same

Nelo Ice

Banned
Binge listening to this podcast at work and good god every episode is hilarious and informative. Had to hold in cracking up every time Gary kept bringing up David Hahn should masturbate instead of going nuclear.

Also listened to the Ferguson episode and I'm guessing they're going to be horrified when I catch up and the psycopath is elected.

Binge listening to this podcast at work and good god every episode is hilarious and informative. Had to hold in cracking up every time Gary kept bringing up David Hahn should masturbate instead of going nuclear.

Also listened to the Ferguson episode and I'm guessing they're going to be horrified when I catch up and the psycopath is elected.

nothing directly Drumpf related, but some similarities in stories around the episodes before and slightly after the election. far too much of the podcast has similarities to the near past

Nelo Ice

Banned
Up to the first LAPD episode and my sides were actually hurting from all the laughter I had to hold in when they were talking about the guy and his jigging around bodies being hung lol.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Goddam, the 10 Cent Beer night, is just one continually rising story of "Yep, this is Cleveland."

Getting near the end, and they bring in that the Organ player, towards the end, when there's nothing but anarchy left on the field, just starts continually playing "Take me out to the Ballgame" :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
Listened to the 3rd LAPD episode and wow Clifford Clinton is such a fucking boss. I'm legit shook a white Christian guy was so woke in the 1930s. It was amazing hearing how he legit had a heart of gold and even the "twist" Gary was expecting ended up being awesome haha. Also I swear every time I listen to an episode I end up looking up the topic for pictures and more info.

Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine Joseph Morris and his new religion live from the Golden Spike Comedy Festival

http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/The_Morrisites.mp3?dest-id=139740

https://play.google.com/music/m/D3k..._Dollop_with_Dave_Anthony_and_Gareth_Reynolds

about The Morrisites, or as they styled themselves, "The Church of the Firstborn," were an apostate splinter group. And everyone should know by now when a guy starts something and uses his name some wild stuff will go down

TimmmV

Am slowly going through older episodes, a whole loads of WTFs at the LAPD series, and the episode on Ferguson. Can't imagine how mental the Iraq war episode will be if thats the episode which is considered the best one

Been catching up on the backlog, friend of mine and I are gonna see them live when they visit in a couple weeks. Basically my favorite podcast now.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Am slowly going through older episodes, a whole loads of WTFs at the LAPD series, and the episode on Ferguson. Can't imagine how mental the Iraq war episode will be if thats the episode which is considered the best one
I just got through the LAPD series and yeah that shit was wild. The Ramparts one was even more fucked up after hearing their history. Also got through the first Patton Oswalt episode and I can never look at cereal the same again.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well listened to Newport Sex Scandal and you guys weren't kidding that was insane. I couldn't even laugh since I was speechless at the absurdity of it all.

gforguava

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I've listened to some of them and they really are incredible.
If you haven't listened to the Jack Parsons episode yet I highly, highly recommend it. Incredibly funny and fascinating look at a super important but little regarded figure of the 20th century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom