• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dollop [Podcast] -Comedians Discuss American History (w/ must-listen Iraq war ep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReAxion

Iceland gets it's turn

https://play.google.com/music/m/Dtr..._Dollop_with_Dave_Anthony_and_Gareth_Reynolds

http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/IcelandHistory.mp3?dest-id=139740

map-iceland-360x270-cb1446694316.gif

I listened to this yesterday. The literal descriptions of everything were crazy to me.

PillarEN

I'm one of those phony fans that only learned about this thanks to the Cracked podcast a week or 2 ago. So far listened to the Huey Long episode, Boston school riots episodes.

Which one would you guys and gals recommend. Give me an episode that you would show off to someone to convince them this podcast was good.

Zyae

I tried giving this a shot by listening to the most recent at the time which was something about animals and training I believe? Really couldnt get into it. Is there a better start off point?

Mesoian

I tried giving this a shot by listening to the most recent at the time which was something about animals and training I believe? Really couldnt get into it. Is there a better start off point?

DOPE LAKE.

I was fucking rolling.

Lkr

This Iraq war one is as good as advertised. Laughing my ass off at Iraqi home makeover and the 30 second deal gameshow

I'm one of those phony fans that only learned about this thanks to the Cracked podcast a week or 2 ago. So far listened to the Huey Long episode, Boston school riots episodes.

Which one would you guys and gals recommend. Give me an episode that you would show off to someone to convince them this podcast was good.

Seriously after these you never want to stop listening.
Please go listen and please let us know how you liked them :D

Iraq
Otto in the attic
The New Jersey Shark Attacks.
Marion Zioncheck

3rdman

The rube...funniest damn episode.

Lkr

The LAPD one is amazing
He likee hangee
The type writer back then had a double e key whenever they needed to write up some quotes by a Chinese person

Mesoian

The one thing I really don't like about this podcast is how often they lean into their Irish stereotype voice, and then their complete adherence to it being the hinge of a joke. Almost every live episode has Gareth just going on and on and on with the Irish voice and you get sick of hearing it. I've started skipping live episodes the farther back in the timeline I go because it just never stops. That joke has a shelf life of 30 seconds, not 10 minutes.

PillarEN

Seriously after these you never want to stop listening.
Please go listen and please let us know how you liked them :D

Iraq
Otto in the attic
The New Jersey Shark Attacks.
Marion Zioncheck

OK OK OK OK I'm back to report.

I like this show when it's just the two guys. Too many comedians means too many jokes. That would be fine if they were dropped now and then. Instead it goes like Main guy says a sentence and then not one not two but 3 people have to make some kind of funny quip but guess what? Only the standard guy who's always on is usually funny. So yeah I don't need all these comedians falling over each other to please the crowd. Come in with a god damn knockout punch and none of this body shot with hugging the other boxer shit. Good thing the shark episode was good enough in terms of the actual history because boy did I get annoyed with the comedy participation. "Next on the sharkinstator, previously on the sharkinstagor, a double episode of the sharkinstagor" (I forget the word they used). Holy fuck! Not funny and yet there were 20 variations of it (once again the best one done my the main sidekick). Which brings me to my next point. Yes Iraq episode was awesome. Shark episode was good in spite of too much forced comedy. Otto I couldn't finish. Zioncheck was alright, but not a two player podcast so too much forced funnies.

I listened to The Great Diamond Hoax and that episode rocked. I also loved American Summer Hitler Camps!

Lastly, I love the stories being brought up because most of them are interesting and if they do have a Wikipedia they usually aren't very expanded. So this podcast has a great role that it can play. I just don't think it's that hilarious so that's why I have so far enjoyed listening to episodes when it's just the two guys.

EDIT: I should listen to The Rube... if it's just the two guys

Hey thanks for reporting back.
I'm sorry that my recommendations did not sit well with you, I'm sorry for that.
The part about the shark show that you did not like I LOVED :p
Guess we like the show but not all of the formats they use :(

Still good that you gave it a try.

But I assume that the Iraq one should be like manditory to listen to for everyone in the USA when you turn 18 or something like that righ?
Just to hear how fucked it and what the real story is right?

PillarEN

The Rube is a hilarious episode indeed. Such a wild west in professional baseball back then. It's really hard to actually comprehend. Not that you can't literally comprehend it by reading about it. More like even with all the info of the past it's sort of hard to imagine there was a time like this. Baseball players with offseason jobs? Sleeping in the same bed on road games? In a way these people were looked at as a circus freaks even without being entranced by puppies and spoons. Not considered a stable job, not something a serious family would be proud of. Not the way to make bank. You were more like a misfit who was entertainment for everyone else without the benefits of today's baseball gig.

The Rube is a hilarious episode indeed. Such a wild west in professional baseball back then. It's really hard to actually comprehend. Not that you can't literally comprehend it by reading about it. More like even with all the info of the past it's sort of hard to imagine there was a time like this. Baseball players with offseason jobs? Sleeping in the same bed on road games? In a way these people were looked at as a circus freaks even without being entranced by puppies and spoons. Not considered a stable job, not something a serious family would be proud of. Not the way to make bank. You were more like a misfit who was entertainment for everyone else without the benefits of today's baseball gig.

like a good olde fashion plane race, The Dole ep

and the great diamond hoax

Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine the 1919 Boston Police Strike (Recorded live at the Wilbur Theater).
http://thedollop.libsyn.com/256-the-boston-police-strike-live

Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds are joined by Felix Biederman and Wil Menaker from Chapo Trap House to examine the New York Orange Catholic riots of the 1800's
http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/The_Orange_and_Catholic_Riots.mp3?dest-id=139740

Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds are joined by Virgil Texas and Matt Christman of the Chapo Trap House podcast.
http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/Bill_the_Butcher_and_John_Morrissey.mp3?dest-id=139740

Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine Edward Hammond Clarke and his fight to keep girls out of schools.
http://traffic.libsyn.com/thedollop/Edward_Clarke_vs_Girls.mp3?dest-id=139740

PillarEN

Listened to Edward Clarke vs Girls.

Man what a funny episode. Even without the commentary it's just hilarious what a complete goober Clarke was. I mean all the way from step 1 to step 100 every little idea he comes up with is so stupid. Truly a unique gentleman. OK not that unique sadly, but in terms of actually making an impact, even though it was negative, this guy is by far the biggest dumbass in his method.

Choice comedy bits:

"Your last name's Cook! Take a lesson from God!" God damn that's a good one.

"Her name is Swallow Richards? Swallow Dicks is her name. Keep em in the kitchen. Good lord take a lesson from God!" Now that's even better.

Joe

I was indirectly mentioned in an older episode I happened to listen to the other day.

At the end of Ep. 131 - John Ericsson and The Monitor (52m 50s) Dave is talking about some guy (me) who emailed him about being blocked on Twitter by him over some "innocuous thing" (it was). He didn't unblock me but this is way, way better than that anyway.

Listened to Edward Clarke vs Girls.

Man what a funny episode. Even without the commentary it's just hilarious what a complete goober Clarke was. I mean all the way from step 1 to step 100 every little idea he comes up with is so stupid. Truly a unique gentleman. OK not that unique sadly, but in terms of actually making an impact, even though it was negative, this guy is by far the biggest dumbass in his method.

Choice comedy bits:

"Your last name's Cook! Take a lesson from God!" God damn that's a good one.

"Her name is Swallow Richards? Swallow Dicks is her name. Keep em in the kitchen. Good lord take a lesson from God!" Now that's even better.
You can see where the idea woman shouldn't run came from back in the marathon episode

.JayZii

Banned
Great podcast, I just finished up the welfare queen one, but the audio quality during the ads is truly upsetting. It's like he's walking around his kitchen as he records them.

Also I'm not a huge fan of recorded live shows since audiences tend to suck, but maybe that's just something I need to get over since so many shows are doing so many of them these days.

Buckle

Completely lost my shit at

Gareth's suicidal racist impression.

Been awhile since I laughed that hard.

New002

Great podcast, I just finished up the welfare queen one, but the audio quality during the ads is truly upsetting. It's like he's walking around his kitchen as he records them.

Also I'm not a huge fan of recorded live shows since audiences tend to suck, but maybe that's just something I need to get over since so many shows are doing so many of them these days.

I feel ya. I'm not a fan of live recordings, but they seem to be doing more and not less so I'll just have to get used to it!

And the hits keep on coming:

Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine the Conscious Development Movement cult (Live from Texas).

terri-hoffman-conscious-development-leader.png

Okay, this one starts weird and goes batshit bananas from there. Had to wikipedia to confirm that, yes, this stuff really happened.

Gareth is on form but it's especially nice to hear Dave jump in more than we're used to. Just as well, because guest star Kath Barbadoro adds very little (except an unedited bathroom break.)

Peak Gary

Dave Anthony (lover, fighter, lawnmower et al.) and Gareth 'Not Gary' Reynolds examine Eugene Anderson and his Chemical Reactor Block. Recorded live in Houston.

Not one of the best episodes - the actual story has the potential to be another Jet Engine saga but the jokes aren't all there. Still recommended for the craziness and crazy fortunes of Mr. Anderson.

You think all the real scammers of history was further back til you get these ones in the 80's

Another live one: Comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine Boxer Jack Johnson and the 'Great White Hope'.

Bit of a slow burn but the hilarity flows in the latter half. Downer ending to a great story of a black man being ahead of his time in sports and society.

jackjohnson5.jpg

13502441_G.png

The live shows sometimes have obnoxious audiences but Gareth in particular gets a lot of energy from live performances; I don't mind that at all and the audio quality is good.

This was an amazing episode.

Some Dollop fans might like to know that Gareth was a guest on the (rather excellent) last Lovett or Leave It political commentary podcast. Couldn't find a direct link but you can look it up if you'd enjoy a dose of Gary vis a vis current affairs.

Eugenics (Live in Los Angeles)

Every time I listen to The Dollop and hear about people celebrating blood in the streets, culling the weak or unsightly, lynching, and white purity, I'm amazed we somehow didn't become another WW2 era Germany at some point.

Great episode. Exhibit A: '46'. Exhibit B: 'Hitler fangirling'

I also love the guest host, Sarah Tiana. She's hilarious, riffs along with Gary like a champ and has the most infectious laugh.

Loxley

Today's episode on Uber is incredible and infuriating. If you didn't hate the company before this, you most certainly will after.

Buckle

Jesus. I knew Uber was shady but I didn't know they were basically the cab mafia.

Only half way through and this is already some astoundingly slimy shit.

Does Kutcher still supports these guys?

Today's episode on Uber is incredible and infuriating. If you didn't hate the company before this, you most certainly will after.

This is unbelievable... I knew some snippets but didn't see the whole picture. Absolutely vile and dangerous... Comparisons to Enron are right on the mark.

Amazing episode after a few ho-hum ones.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Finally got to the Iraq War and Wife Swap episodes. Wow. Republicans are stupid af and it's not surprising at all that they continued to be shitty and terrible people.

Jag

Jesus. I knew Uber was shady but I didn't know they were basically the cab mafia.

Only half way through and this is already some astoundingly slimy shit.

Does Kutcher still supports these guys?

Him, Holder and Huffington. Y'know, the good guys who are going to make everything ok for their $68 billion company.

I still don't understand how they consistently beat all the local taxi commissions by simply ignoring them.

PillarEN

Another live one: Comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine Boxer Jack Johnson and the 'Great White Hope'.

Bit of a slow burn but the hilarity flows in the latter half. Downer ending to a great story of a black man being ahead of his time in sports and society.

The live shows sometimes have obnoxious audiences but Gareth in particular gets a lot of energy from live performances; I don't mind that at all and the audio quality is good.

OK I'll take your word for it. Been mostly ignoring the live shows. Passed out while starting Uber yesterday. Now there is another new episode. Got 3 I'll be checking out then.

Edit: listening to Jack Johnson and the Great White Hope and I cannot for the life of me find Round Eye, Virginia. Closest I could find is Round Hill, Virginia. I wonder if that city ever existed or if it was a typo.
Also "now they've broken him" *haha* "completely. That was a weird time to laugh". Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom