• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death of Consoles is Imminent

Will Dedicated Sony & Microsoft Gaming Consoles Survive 3 More Generations?

• Yes - OP is on Crack KEWL

• No - People picking poll option 1 are smoking premium grade A copium

• Sony and Microsoft? KEKW! Nintendo all the way 😎

Results are only viewable after voting.

Generic

Yeah, cool to trying to drag Sony into Xbox struggling right now to sell consoles, lol.

Look, it will be ok if MS goes 3rd party. They will be fine.
It won't be fine at all. Nintendo already dropped the console market, if MS drops it too Sony would be left dominant and unchallenged.

SenkiDala

Consoles died with the dreamcast
Well in fact I kind of agree with that. Something in the gaming industry died with the Dreamcast, something that never came back. People called Xbox the Dreamcast 2 but it was still far from the Dreamcast spirit just they took advantage of the fall of SEGA as a console manufacturer to make some deals and bring some SEGA exclusive games Xbox : PD Orta, JSRF, Sega GT 2000, but still... It wasn't the same.

When the Dreamcast died (I mean except from the home-brew scene) some gaming spirit died with it. :(

ZoukGalaxy

LOL

Always the same music: this has been said previous gen, and also the previous previous gen, and also the previous previous previous gen and also...

Sure Jan GIF

Oh, and
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Last edited:

nowhat

Hmm… not really, think about it, we’ll be able to stream 4k+ games due to improved internet speeds over next 5-10 years.

Building hardware is expensive, streaming (Gamepass) makes a shit ton of money.

All companies want to reduce costs and increase profits, streaming games will do just that.

It’s a case of when 10+gb internet will be common place.
There's a fundamental flaw in your reasoning - it's not the throughput that's the issue with streaming solutions. The DL/UL speeds many people have access to these days are just fine and dandy for streaming high quality video. 4K/60 is doable nowadays, in the future maybe 16K/240 or whatever nonsense. But to get good image quality, we are pretty much there already.

The issue is with latency. No matter how fast your connection is in terms of throughput, the latency will be always constricted by the speed of light (and this is in a completely ideal case, so we're talking about sub-c speeds in practice). If you happen to live next to a data center serving that game feed - great, good for you! But if not, your controller input will have to first reach the server, and then send a response corresponding to it to your display device. And that will not change unless you can come up with some funky new physics, no matter how fast the throughput is.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Consoles will stick around at least for the next 100 hundred years, so keep your controllers handy.

odhiex

Sony has record breaking' sales of PS5 at the moment... So, yeah I am 100% sure that there will be PS6 and so on. They will explore selling games on other avenues, but that would not be their main platform.

Xbox seemingly had different approaches, so I cannot tell for sure their strategy.

Maybe, converging Windows + Xbox is their long-term plan e.g. putting every Windows 12/13 machines included with *XBOX UI and Gamepass. A competing Mobile App Store would be sensible as well, since they are now investing on cloud gaming and they own Kings.

Nintendo will keep doing the Nintendo ways. They seems to understand their market. Plus, they are also making money through other avenues such as movies, theme parks, merchandises etc.

My point, consoles may have long lives, many years to come. Game busines models could evolve however. I wish I could see the PS9 in my lifetime :(

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Here we go with this nonsense again 🤦‍♂️
I knew when that Yoshida post was put out (a post that said absolutely nothing new, mind you), we'd see more stupid stuff like this. "tHe dEaTh oF cOnSoLeS" has been a thing now since the 360/PS3 days (and even further if you go back and read some of the old GamePro magazines).

Nintendo and Sony will continue put out exclusives for their respective systems. It's Xbox that I imagine has a significant shift in the works.

Last edited:

NEbeast

With Microsoft essentially being rumoured to go third party and Sony's CEO Kenichiro Yoshida saying that he wants Playstation on every device it seems that consoles are becoming a relic of the past.

Only Nintendo will hold strong on hardware.
Comedy Central Lol GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I knew when that Yoshida post was put out (a post that said absolutely nothing new, mind you), we'd see more stupid stuff like this. "tHe dEaTh oF cOnSoLeS" has been a thing now since the 360/PS3 days (and even further if you go back and read some of the old GamePro magazines).

Nintendo and Sony will continue put out exclusives for their respective systems. It's Xbox that I imagine has a significant shift in the works.
That’s exactly what I was thinking…people have been saying this the last three generations. The fact is, there are always going to be millions and millions of people who just can’t afford to keep up with PC costs. Will consoles always be the way they are now, probably not. But the thing is, even if shit goes all cloud based, you still have to have a way to play the games. And if anyone says TVs, I swear to Christ I’m putting you on ignore and not responding lol.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
That’s exactly what I was thinking…people have been saying this the last three generations. The fact is, there are always going to be millions and millions of people who just can’t afford to keep up with PC costs. Will consoles always be the way they are now, probably not. But the thing is, even if shit goes all cloud based, you still have to have a way to play the games. And if anyone says TVs, I swear to Christ I’m putting you on ignore and not responding lol.
d0Wew1i.gif

Audiophile

Gold Member
I expect MS will do one more traditional gen but digital only while they transition.

Nintendo will continue to do generations with both physical and digital.

Sony will continue to do generations but from PS6 -- or at the very least PS6 Pro/Slim -- onwards the disc drive will be an optional add-on and physical will become a premium niche. I think we see PS6, 7, 8 & 9 with ~8yr gens and midgen refreshes. Cloud, VR, AR and other concepts yet unthought of will continue to make inroads into the space over time. It'll likely look quite different over time but I still I think generations and a flagship piece of hardware are core to their business and they're proving it's still viable. A blurred cross-gen will simply lead to the leap occurring at the midway point rather at the release of the new generation; but that cut off and fresh start is imo, very important in keeping things exciting and fresh. The concept of a fully iterative model just doesn't seem realistic to me for anything outside of PC; I think 8yrs with a refresh at the midpoint is perfect.

I expect to see Apple make a stealth entry with an ecosystem and an eventual, more dedicated device or set of device options; even if it never really appears to be an explicit decision.

Of course, over a longer period of time; anything could happen and new players could appear. But, it's probably just about the hardest space to get into as a platform provider.

I still don't think the Cloud fully replaces local gaming any time soon. It'll remain casual and supplementary until there is a major breakthrough in what we can do. Even then it'll at best be the mainstream option, while local console and PC are the respective core and hardcore options; albeit with their own supplemental cloud elements.

Also, it's absolutely necessary that we at least get to PS9... you all know why.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

With Microsoft essentially being rumoured to go third party and Sony's CEO Kenichiro Yoshida saying that he wants Playstation on every device it seems that consoles are becoming a relic of the past.

Let’s not bundle in Sony into MS disaster train.

Kdad

There has pretty much always been a 3rd console player hasn't there? Time for Samsung to dive in.

kungfuian

The console market going away conclusion is an old one, but in this case it seems to be a misreading of Sony and Microsoft's paths. To some degree they appear to be the same/similar, but the two companies implementation of these new strategies is very very different.

Microsoft's is a software/service company, and are shit at hardware. Always have been! Their console efforts reflect this too. Their most successful x-box stopped production in 2016 and was largely irrelevant by 2014. X-box hardware sales since then have been on the decline. For over a decade now they have failed to show growth, and Microsoft are more than aware of this. That's why they have been untethering the success of their games business from the x-box hardware platform for some time.

Anyone paying attention could see this starting way back when they began offering day one exclusives on game pass/pc and they started reporting only engagement numbers. Now we are seeing them continue down this path, and as they do I expect their hardware sales will continue to decline (which I'm sure they expect). Their acquisition of ACTI and huge growth on the software end, and selling their games to who ever will buy them (or at least releasing some portion of their portfolio on their competitors machines), is a logical next step as they move away from being dependent on the traditional x-box hardware model. Rumors of their next hardware plans paint the same picture, whether that be 3rd party developed x-box machines, abandoning traditional hardware for arm based streaming hybrids and portables, all of it just make sense if you see what they are trying to create. They are clearly leaving the traditional console space for what they see as greener pastures

With Sony I would argue the opposite is actually happening, as they seem to be very protective of their hardware business! They are currently celebrating record breaking hardware sales, sitting back and devouring all of the console market share x-box is leaving behind, and they've actually expanded their offering of premium high end hardware in their ecosystem including VR, their portable, and soon a PS5 Pro. Similar to Microsoft we will of course we see them expand their offerings to streaming sticks and maybe full portables, but as additive and along side the main PS consoles only.

I just think the whole consoles going away thing is mistaking similar moves for same moves, but don't confuse Microsoft for Sony. Sony is a hardware company, always has been, and their consoles are not going anywhere anytime soon. They will try to expand into these other areas, but expect to see them continue with a much more conservative strategy that protects their core console business. So far we've seen exactly that; select releases of their first party games on plus and PC, but way after release, and with no indication they will be moving to day and date like Microsoft. With the exception of their multiplayer/gaas type stuff (which is much less tied to their PS console business identity/branding), I would expect Sony to stay relatively conservative and to make moves that even further secure their position in the console space.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its funny. I think the reality of the fate of console gaming simply depends on whether big business thinks that a console segment at around the size its been for the last 20-odd years remains a market worth pursuing.

Its not growing much, but its not shrinking either. Is that not enough?

Big money bets are surely being made; That there's a better, more universal, more profitable model for selling game software and services. The only problem is that although its an undeniable fact that the global market for videogames is huge, its entirely theoretical how much crossover in interests there are between avid users of each segment.

Honestly, I think that people are mostly happy with the way the market is split between PC, consoles, mobile and browser. Or at least they won't feel compelled to pay for a subscription for the privilege of getting curated access to titles across all types of devices.

Trying to appeal to users of all of these groups at the same time is going to end in failure in 99.9% of the time. Its trying to homogenize groups that are heterogenous not only by nature, but by choice!

Consoles are going to stay around for a long time in my view because they offer a reasonably priced entry-point to the most demanding types of games. If you want to spend more, for more performance then obviously with PC the sky's the limit. The situation with mobile devices is the same, consoles are nowhere near the price-point of high end smartphones and tablets!

Last point; I don't think there's much of a "gratitude" vibe to subscriptions anymore. Now Netflix and the like have been around for years, the novelty has worn off.
And with that gone... who feels good about about what amounts to picking up another monthly tax on their lifestyle budget?

Maybe I'm way off base but these grand plans seem like blind corporate ambition, not based in any sort of objective understanding of what particularly appeals to the audience.

Its funny. I think the reality of the fate of console gaming simply depends on whether big business thinks that a console segment at around the size its been for the last 20-odd years remains a market worth pursuing.

Big money bets are surely being made; That there's a better, more universal, more profitable model for selling game software and services. The only problem is that although its an undeniable fact that the global market for videogames is huge, its entirely theoretical how much crossover in interests there are between avid users of each segment.

Honestly, I think that people are mostly happy with the way the market is split between PC, consoles, mobile and browser. Or at least they won't feel compelled to pay for a subscription for the privilege of getting curated access to titles across all types of devices.

Trying to appeal to users of all of these groups at the same time is going to end in failure in 99.9% of the time. Its trying to homogenize groups that are heterogenous not only by nature, but by choice!

Consoles are going to stay around for a long time in my view because they offer a reasonably priced entry-point to the most demanding types of games. If you want to spend more, for more performance then obviously with PC the sky's the limit. The situation with mobile devices is the same, consoles are nowhere near the price-point of high end smartphones and tablets!

Last point; I don't think there's much of a "gratitude" vibe to subscriptions anymore. Now Netflix and the like have been around for years, the novelty has worn off.
And with that gone... who feels good about about what amounts to picking up another monthly tax on their lifestyle budget?

Maybe I'm way off base but these grand plans seem like blind corporate ambition, not based in any sort of objective understanding of what particularly appeals to the audience.
I think you're largely on the money. Business chase growth and if the console market isn;t growing by enough they'll explore new ways to grow it e.g. streaming / hybrid. That being said, I do think there will continue to be a place for traditional consoles too. It's just too much money to leave on the the table.

Three

It's actually shrinking though isn't it? Ps5 is equal to ps4 and xbox series is below xbox one. I think if you added all consoles within a given year plus Nintendo handhelds the total has shrunk compared to previous gens. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Omg like wtf are you even talking about, dude? PS just had its highest sales quarter of consoles. *Ever*. Consoles have never sold better. Nintendo is having their best console cycle *ever*.

Like honestly what are you talking about

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Omg like wtf are you even talking about, dude? PS just had its highest sales quarter of consoles. *Ever*. Consoles have never sold better. Nintendo is having their best console cycle *ever*.

Like honestly what are you talking about
1q7zkE8.jpg

It has to end some time, and these things can turn around fast in this industry. Just ask Nokia. 2007-8 were their Best Years Ever, while also being the years that Apple released their iPhone and Google bought Android, respectively.

pQs8HlA.jpg

I’m not saying consoles are dead or dying, but you can’t just say “things haven’t changed, therefore things won’t change”.

Also, lol, MS bought Nokia in 2013 and sold them in 2016.

bender

What time is it?

Look at how long it took to develop games in the PS2 era, what the development team sizes were, and what the development/marketing budget was. There was a time when selling 500-1,000K copies of a game was considered a success. Outside of Indie games today, that's probably considered a failure. Because of the expensive of making games, they need to be on as many platforms as possible and I'd argue that overall a net negative. Yes, more people can play your game but fewer games are built with a platforms strengths and audience in mind and is instead made for the lower common denominator. It's why we get all these boring, safe games and I consider PC versions of these games lipstick on a pig.

Nintendo has found a way around this with having hardware that is a generation or two behind which helps keep their budgets smaller, but eventually their hardware will advance to a point that they'll face similar challenges. They'll have the advantage of traveling down well worn roads and maybe their art style will help save them from some of the budgetary/development cycle issue others are facing to certain extents.

Chasing graphics tech and cramming your game with dozens upon dozens of hours of content is largely a fools errand as developers are setting themselves up for one failure being catastrophic to their future outlook.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
All I know is according to this site one is always on its last legs, just changes from month to month which one.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
its gonna be all streaming and done on the serverside. Already headed that way with digital only.
There's still not a single shred of evidence that game streaming is going to take off at all. Google and Amazon have both failed. Nobody uses it on MS or Sony. What gives you this idea?

Last edited:
Sony has been talking about Cloud and Mobile for over a decade, they were the first ones to make a major acquisition in Cloud. This is nothing new and console aren't dead. Consoles may be dead for Microsoft as their primary bread and butter, not the other two

There's still not a single shred of evidence that game streaming is going to take off at all. Google and Amazon have both failed. Nobody uses it on MS or Sony. What gives you this idea?

Remember when people were saying Microsoft and Google had the money and infrastructure to make it work? We all know what happened to Googles attempt and xcloud is fucking shite. You have to wait in a queue to play. Funny how in the end, sony have the best streaming service where you don't have to wait in a fucking queue.

Generic

And putting your head in the sand and thinking the Switch isn't a hybrid system doesn't change that fact that it is a hybrid system.
It's an underpowered portable system with a secondary docking function. Developers won't create multiplatform games with the Switch 2 in mind.

DryvBy

Sony has had their games on PC for literally decades. PC gaming won't go anywhere and consoles won't either. Especially when PC gaming requires hardware that's expensive.

Killjoy-NL

Oops, accidently voted No based on the thread title. Lol

Xbox is already done for. Playstation will see at least 2 more gens.

Top Bottom