• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death of Consoles is Imminent

Will Dedicated Sony & Microsoft Gaming Consoles Survive 3 More Generations?

• Yes - OP is on Crack KEWL

• No - People picking poll option 1 are smoking premium grade A copium

• Sony and Microsoft? KEKW! Nintendo all the way 😎

Results are only viewable after voting.
Agreed. 2023 was one of their best years of selling consoles, if not their absolute best.

I'm not saying that it's not impossible for it to happen.

But with the current sales figures it seems like hardware is still a pretty big deal for them. Maybe once they drop to Xbox levels we can have that discussion.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol of course not.
I want consoles and I wat physical media.
I just like playing on consoles and owning games. I can fight radahn 1.0 if I want and that matters.

What about xbox dying? fuck them. Sony doesn't need them to be fine.
Nintendo is not in competition with anyone for forever and they are better now than ever. Selling gangbusters and making amazing games.

bender

What time is it?
The games that Sony and Microsoft make are expensive. So expensive that sales in their ecosystems might not support them alone. Just because they are looking at other ecosystems doesn't mean that the other ecosystems can support them on their own so I wouldn't expect Sony to abandon PlayStation hardware any time soon. Just look at the sales. And that doesn't even factor in that a sale on PlayStation is far more valuable than in another ecosystem.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Sony's CEO Kenichiro Yoshida saying that he wants Playstation on every device it seems that consoles are becoming a relic of the past.
Nah, like I said in another thread, Sony is first and foremost a hardware company, and that is not going to change as long as sales remain great.
They have been doing stuff with cloud streaming for over a decade now and it has never been their primary focus, same with mobile games since like 2002.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
EeFLqLz.png

Yeah, cool to trying to drag Sony into Xbox struggling right now to sell consoles.

Look, it will be ok if MS goes 3rd party. They will be fine.

I think that's the truth to be honest.

Just because SEGA had a pretty big failure with hardware didn't mean that Nintendo and Sony were also failing.

I guess what people need to accept is that Xbox doesn't equal the entire gaming industry.

GHG

I see people dragging up that interview from last November has had the desired effect on the simpletons.

Astonishing really. That's how you know there's no smoke without fire regarding the Xbox rumours, when the footsoldiers are being told to roam social media screeching SonyToo™.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PC was always king brother, you just wasnt bright enough to notice.
didn't take long for that comment lol.
I dont see what that has to to with the topic. Consoles might be worse or better. It doesn't matter. People can just prefer playing on them than fondling with their expensive nerd stations.
I have one and I prefer console recently. Maybe it's because I am an old lazy fuck recently and I am jaded with pc parts prices.

Three

I would say that we are in a phase where 'service wars' are beginning and we will have fewer hardware exclusives and more service exclusives. At the same time we have the mobile threat where they have the power of the consoles a couple of gens ago or now but 10x the audience. GDC 24 poll has most devs coding in Unity. We also have streaming services gaining slowly. So I would say yes they kind of are under threat. That is unless people change their habits and buy the consoles and games that aren't pushing mobile or services.

bender

What time is it?
I dont see what that has to to with the topic. Consoles might be worse or better. It doesn't matter. People can just prefer playing on them than fondling with their expensive nerd stations.
I have one and I prefer console recently. Maybe it's because I am an old lazy fuck recently and I am jaded with pc parts prices.

I love how easy it is to spot console warriors who have migrated over to PC.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

It's a shitpost. Or is it tho?

With all due respect, people post this same BS line every 5 yrs or so. It gets old. Console sales at least for Nintendo and Sony are incredibly strong. Consoles are here to stay for the long forseeable future.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Nope, Sony will maintain the console as they have no competition if XBOX goes third party. They will very meager advancements and people will complain of consoles being so far behind. They won't care because no one to compete with. They will expand into 4K streaming on other devices however which is Great!

Nintendo will make third party handheld devices and own that domain. (they already do)

Xbox will sell all their games anywhere possible and be the biggest publisher.

We need Microsoft to stay in Consoles, we need them to do well and to push Sony to innovate and challenge them.

Yea I prefer my console big time. It's just easier to use. I can do everything with a controller while sitting on the couch. I can hop into a group with my friends and then hop out and keep playing my SP games. Doing that on a PC? I have to use a kb\mouse no thanks.

Top Bottom