• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death of Consoles is Imminent

Will Dedicated Sony & Microsoft Gaming Consoles Survive 3 More Generations?

• Yes - OP is on Crack KEWL

• No - People picking poll option 1 are smoking premium grade A copium

• Sony and Microsoft? KEKW! Nintendo all the way 😎

Results are only viewable after voting.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think new consoles in 3 years are pretty obvious for everyone. I think 7 year duration is likely. So 2034 feels like the minimum. I don't know if all 3 will get there, but consoles will. The question is then, do we have another gen? Maybe. That would last another 7 years. So 2041? At that point, I'd be shocked if I could really predict anything.

For context, I bought a Battlestar Galactica blue-ray set like 5 years ago and now I don't have anything with a disc drive in my living room to watch it on. Just the bedroom.

Last edited:
Where will all of these people go...

• 2k fans
  • Madden fans
  • EA FC/Fifa fans
  • JRPG fans
  • CoD casuals
  • Fighting game casuals
  • Playstation casuals
  • GTA casuals
  • People who don't like to build PCs
  • People who don't want to buy 1k premade PCs

Potentially 100+ million people. That's a giant piece of the pie being cut out because of cope and port begging.

Jesb

It will but I’ll be probably dead when it happens. It’s not anytime soon. There’s two more generations at minimum if that happens. Maybe another crash will happen again, who knows. Nobody can say what the future holds.

Last edited:

BlackTron

i3btChR.gif

reinking

Gold Member
Maybe in my great grand children’s lifetime. Consoles are not going anywhere as long as Sony and Nintendo are breaking records. LOL at thinking they are just going to toss in the console towel because MS has struggled to move consoles. MS wants to control the industry and this is the new narrative push since they failed to do so in the console space.

nial

Gold Member
Holy shit, the last one.

I don’t believe so. Also, M$ been 3rd party. Doesn’t mean they gonna bring all there games to Nintendo or Sony. Also, don’t see Sony or Nintendo not ever making some kinda consoles

T4keD0wN

Let me check my crystal ball for 2034 reports:

It says that Sony and Microsoft have teamed up to make a new console called "Xstation9000", nobody has bought it because the target audience hates exactly 50% of the manufacturers so it was cancelled after 3 months, but Nintendo is still producing the switch, however there are emerging rumors about them making a new console.

Most people dont care about gaming in 2034, mainly because they are watching Moon Landing sequel on repeat (for context: its a brand new real life 160hour movie starring Tom Cruise and Nick Cage which is on track to break 15bil views in 2035)

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You can't combine Sony and MS.

Sony and Nintendo will do this till the wheels come off.
We also should expect a new challenger to fill that 3rd slot void.

Tg89

Consoles aren't going anywhere for the immediate future. Dumb to think otherwise. Microsoft might bow out but that's a whole different thing with different reasons.

As long as there's money in a dedicated box to play games, these companies will make them. The market for people that would rather have the game being played from their box (whether that be disc or a digital copy) as opposed to some shitty streaming service isn't going away anytime soon. Streaming games is still in its infancy and is a much worse experience than the alternative.

Last edited:

Fbh

Nah.
This sounds like the typical gaming forum mentality where people asume everyone has a high end gaming PC and they only use consoles to play exclusives.
Even if every game by every publisher (except Nintendo I guess) releases on every major platform there's still going to be a market for affordable boxes with a more straightforward plug&play design.

The only thing I can see killing consoles if it ever gets good and widespread enough is streaming.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
With Microsoft essentially being rumoured to go third party and Sony's CEO Kenichiro Yoshida saying that he wants Playstation on every device it seems that consoles are becoming a relic of the past.

Only Nintendo will hold strong on hardware.

The poll options are triggering.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

So, three generations being basically 18-20 years - who the fuck knows.

On current trajectory, Sony yes, Xbox no, Nintendo yes.

But over that period of time many things can change.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
With Microsoft essentially being rumoured to go third party and Sony's CEO Kenichiro Yoshida saying that he wants Playstation on every device it seems that consoles are becoming a relic of the past.

Only Nintendo will hold strong on hardware.

You can't help not being smart, huh?

Saber

Gold Member
Sure is, grandpa.

Let me continue to play my Playstation and Nintendo while you and Microsoft keep saying that in the hopes it ends up true, just like the "mobile gonna end consoles" ages ago.

Wildebeest

Things like this last longer than you expect because people have an interest in things staying as they are and will dig in their heels.

Zelduh

Nintendo consoles will always be relevant but my PS5 is a glorified Roku device to watch streaming services at this point

angrod14

PS5 and Switch firing all the cillinders and breaking records and you think this will happen? Not in a million years.

Software is always going to require hardware. PC gaming is expensive, complicated and get the shitiest ports. Also used PC have zero resale value where I'm from so nobody is buying your super sexy 4090 once it becomes low-tier. Straight into the trash it goes. Consoles you can't resell them easily because they have everything you need to plug and play (except a TV, but who TF doesn't have a TV).

Cloud gaming will evolve and consolidate itself as an alternative to casuals but it is never going to beat local hardware. It's not like streaming music or movies which have zero interactivity.

EDMIX

Strong doubt.

MS has been flirting with going 3rd party for a while now and if even getting Activision is not enough to have them top even a quarter against Sony and Nintendo, it seems likely that the higher ups see no point in wasting money to gain limited sales. They will likely go 3rd party to rep the rewards of being on all platforms, but that shouldn't even be a shock to anyone at this point.

I don't see much happening with Sony and Nintendo in this regard as they are the market leaders, they move the most units of hardware pretty regularly.

So Micro"soft" moving back to software primarily maybe shouldn't be that much of a shock.

I think they'll still do 1 more console, but I think its very likely most of their output will be multiplatform.

To make EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Take Two money etc, you must still actually put out games on all platforms (or most)

Last edited:

Sybrix

My God every gen one of you idiots appear.
Hmm… not really, think about it, we’ll be able to stream 4k+ games due to improved internet speeds over next 5-10 years.

Building hardware is expensive, streaming (Gamepass) makes a shit ton of money.

All companies want to reduce costs and increase profits, streaming games will do just that.

It’s a case of when 10+gb internet will be common place.

Kerotan

Hmm… not really, think about it, we’ll be able to stream 4k+ games due to improved internet speeds over next 5-10 years.

Building hardware is expensive, streaming (Gamepass) makes a shit ton of money.

All companies want to reduce costs and increase profits, streaming games will do just that.

It’s a case of when 10+gb internet will be common place.
Gamepass doesn't make much profits if any and growth in the market is stalling.

Top Bottom