• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death of Consoles is Imminent

Will Dedicated Sony & Microsoft Gaming Consoles Survive 3 More Generations?

• Yes - OP is on Crack KEWL

• No - People picking poll option 1 are smoking premium grade A copium

• Sony and Microsoft? KEKW! Nintendo all the way 😎

Results are only viewable after voting.

flying_sq

I would have said you might be right a couple days ago, but I turned my ps4 pro on for the first time in a couple years. I have an awesome high end PC and for some reason, just being able to boot up the PS4 and not really worry about anything and just start playing felt really nice. Maybe it's the simple UI, but it was just relaxing to use. I had no intentions of getting a PS5, but maybe now I will.

Never doubt corporate greed.
Being Greedy doesn't make them successful. It is nice to want things. Getting it is a separate matter. MS is used to pushing people into things against their will, but that only works for business environments where you do what you are told to get paid. MS couldn't get around the idea of PLEASING customers, hence their constant Xbox failures. Just "here is what we want and you can't stop us!", not knowing that they come last in gaming and that people "stop" Xbox by simply moving to a competing ecosystem.

Xbox doesn't get to call the shots. Death of Xbox consoles is Xbox's own problem, the rest of the gaming world keeps gaming without it.

Fredrik

Imminent? No.
3 more generation? No.

I have a pretty good idea what will happen longterm but in the near future things will look the same. We’ll see them take baby steps for years toward a future where Playstation and Xbox consoles aren’t needed to play their 1st party games. PC space will grow, possibly evolve into more living room devices and portables, but traditional consoles will still be around for another generation. And Nintendo will stick around with the old school stuff longer.

buenoblue

Consoles are just PCs now, just cheaper. The masses aren't gonna pay £1200+ and have a machine twice the size anytime soon. I know tens of people at work/outside of work who have consoles. I know one with a gaming PC.

nowhat

ab67616d0000b2739fc8ae371fc4ba0ad0dd6794

for Xbox

Marvel14

Banned
There's a fundamental flaw in your reasoning - it's not the throughput that's the issue with streaming solutions. The DL/UL speeds many people have access to these days are just fine and dandy for streaming high quality video. 4K/60 is doable nowadays, in the future maybe 16K/240 or whatever nonsense. But to get good image quality, we are pretty much there already.

The issue is with latency. No matter how fast your connection is in terms of throughput, the latency will be always constricted by the speed of light (and this is in a completely ideal case, so we're talking about sub-c speeds in practice). If you happen to live next to a data center serving that game feed - great, good for you! But if not, your controller input will have to first reach the server, and then send a response corresponding to it to your display device. And that will not change unless you can come up with some funky new physics, no matter how fast the throughput is.
What if cell phone towers get upgraded with servers to serve as mini data centres?

That should reduce the distance/speed of light problem significantly...

SenkiDala

I don't think consoles will "die" soon. I think the market will change.

But what we can't deny is over the years, owning a PC became more and more comfortable in the meaning that, for me gaming is the games and 99.9% of games are now on PC.

Playing on Wii U, PS4, PS5, Xbox 360, PC, Switch, in 2024, all those systems are systems that gives you the opportunity to play games. Graphics are a thing, and they are still important, like other things in a game : music, art direction, character design, gameplay, game's length, etc. But not as important as they used to be. Well I'm digressing here.

What I mean is on a 400$ PC or a 3000$ PC you can play, at a very different settings for sure but you can play. I game since the late 80s / early 90s and back then SO much games were exclusives to every system. In fact Multiplatform games were not the norm, the norm were the exclusives. When you remember the Megadrive you remember Shining Force, Soleil (Crusader of Centy), Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Sonic... The SNES you remember FFIV/V/VI, Chrono Trigger, Zelda LTTP, Mario World 1 & 2, etc.

And little by little exclusives are disappearing and it's true that if you play on PC, whatever it's a 400 or 3000 $/€ you can now play 100% of Xbox Games, all on day one, and little by little you can play the PS exclusives too, which was unthinkable, for many people, even 5 years ago. Little by little the PC became like the "central place" of gaming. Some games are Switch / PC only, some are Xbox / PC only, some are PS5 / PC only, etc and the common factor in all of this is : PC.

The Xbox is now fully day one on PC, the PS5 is little by little opening the gates to bring their games to PC (later and it is still not all the games but obviously it will be), only Nintendo is resisting but for how long ? Games cost more and more and making profit is then harder and harder, games are developed on PC so that's mostly easy to bring them on that platform.

I personally think that in the future exclusives will basically disappear. The cloud will get bigger and bigger (but it'll take a LONG time) and eventually you'll be able to play your PS / Xbox / Nintendo catalogue on the TV without needing a machine. But dedicated machines will still exist I think, like now you can still have a dedicated BR player, CD players, but sadly I think that a LOT of games will be available only on digital more and more and games releasing on disc/cartridge will become quite rare.

My conclusion is that the PC seems like the safe bet, PCs will likely always exists, whatever their forms, sure there are streaming PC services like Gforce now (only games) or Shadow PC (full PCs) but the machines will still exists and still with those "PCs in cloud" you're playing with your Steam games, EGS games, etc.

Last edited:

nowhat

What if cell phone towers get upgraded with servers to serve as mini data centres?

That should reduce the distance/speed of light problem significantly...
I mean, sure - but do you realize how many cell phone towers are out there? That's just completely economically unfeasible.

Not to mention, in many countries data caps are still a thing. An absolutely retarded and outdated thing, but a thing nevertheless.

Last edited:

TheShocker

None of the three consoles are going anywhere. All of them will have successors. We will just start to see less and less timed exclusives and more games launching simultaneously on PC.

bender

What time is it?
Being Greedy doesn't make them successful. It is nice to want things. Getting it is a separate matter. MS is used to pushing people into things against their will, but that only works for business environments where you do what you are told to get paid. MS couldn't get around the idea of PLEASING customers, hence their constant Xbox failures. Just "here is what we want and you can't stop us!", not knowing that they come last in gaming and that people "stop" Xbox by simply moving to a competing ecosystem.

Xbox doesn't get to call the shots. Death of Xbox consoles is Xbox's own problem, the rest of the gaming world keeps gaming without it.

I'm not talking about Xbox specifically. The ideal future for corporate greed is cloud based distribution and subscriptions. They want to erode ownership of products. Yes, it's been tried before and you can say those attempts have failed. It isn't going to stop others from trying again in order to come up with a formula that is palatable for consumers. And as much as I'd like to say, this will never become the standard, old ways of thinking die as older people age out of hobbies and new generations come along that have different experiences and expectations. Just look at the music and movie industry. Owning physical media is less important than having all of your media accessible and portable. Digital libraries became less important than subscription services that give access to unlimited amounts of choices. Gaming has been heading down that path. Every game isn't offered physically and online connections are often required for the full game experience or any experience at all.

BlackTron

I would have said you might be right a couple days ago, but I turned my ps4 pro on for the first time in a couple years. I have an awesome high end PC and for some reason, just being able to boot up the PS4 and not really worry about anything and just start playing felt really nice. Maybe it's the simple UI, but it was just relaxing to use. I had no intentions of getting a PS5, but maybe now I will.

You thought consoles might be done for when you no longer used one. Now that you plugged one in, you think they might be around to stay. This is an excellent example of a tendency to project personal opinion into industry prediction.

Majormaxxx

Where will all of these people go...

• 2k fans
  • Madden fans
  • EA FC/Fifa fans
  • JRPG fans
  • CoD casuals
  • Fighting game casuals
  • Playstation casuals
  • GTA casuals
  • People who don't like to build PCs
  • People who don't want to buy 1k premade PCs

Potentially 100+ million people. That's a giant piece of the pie being cut out because of cope and port begging.
Cloud gaming - like Netflix which can be used on phone, TV etc.

They will just need an old game controller and a TV or phone.

I don't see new consoles in 15 years.

Owning physical media is less important than having all of your media accessible and portable. Digital libraries became less important than subscription services that give access to unlimited amounts of choices.
Streaming is the exact opposite of accessable. When an external server control what you paid for, it can and will take it away for any reason even without breakdowns.
When you have the software in the same room as you, you have 100% accessibility.
Streaming is the OPPOSITE of accessibility.

PlayStation/Nintendo can't afford to lose the console side of the business. So, they will fight tooth and nail to remain relevant.

The issue here is that Xbox is hindering this space. So, I hope all this consolidation bullshit gets resolved ASAP for the industry to stabilize/correct itself

bender

What time is it?
Streaming is the exact opposite of accessable. When an external server control what you paid for, it can and will take it away for any reason even without breakdowns.
When you have the software in the same room as you, you have 100% accessibility.
Streaming is the OPPOSITE of accessibility.

External servers control a lot of game sales today and with every day that passes, they control more and more. We see more publishers opting not to have physical versions of their games. People commit to purchasing digital games on storefronts controlled by DRM. Subscription services continue to be popular. Many software companies have moved from point releases to monthly subscriptions. The desire to own things is being eroded and people with your mindset will largely age out of hobby. I'm not arguing for any of this to occur, just stating the realities.

tusharngf

consoles are not going anywhere. Not everyone can afford a 1000 dollar PC. There will be market for consoles no matter what.

MikeM

Console sale numbers say otherwise. And if inflation keeps up, cheaper boxes will continue to remain appealing for the general audience vs PC.

External servers control a lot of game sales today and with every day that passes, they control more and more. We see more publishers opting not to have physical versions of their games. People commit to purchasing digital games on storefronts controlled by DRM. Subscription services continue to be popular. Many software companies have moved from point releases to monthly subscriptions. The desire to own things is being eroded and people with your mindset will largely age out of hobby. I'm not arguing for any of this to occur, just stating the realities.
You are either deliberately or accidentally confusing "accessing" software and STREAMING software.
There is nothing wrong with something being online, if I can download on my local computer and keep it. You trying to say that is the same as Streaming is just an outright lie.

The fact is subscription is inferior to owning and if a company like MS want to go sub only then I will say goodbye to them. That is actually why Steam has a backup OS they can move to if and when MS goes insane. Trust me, people are making preparations for Microsoft's plans.

You don't get to tell me what is going to happen, MS tryed that and that isn't working. That is why Xbox was failing, is failing, and will fail. Because in the end the customer decides, rich companies don't realize that gaming is not like housing or healthcare; we can't go without those other essential things, but gaming is not essential. If your game offering sucks then we don't buy them period. Market is still a thing, you don't get to steal money from people's pockets.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

While I'm PC all the way, consoles are the best bang for your buck. I have the money to upgrade, enjoy building PCs as a hobby (I work in tech, so also use it for programming and VMs) so they're not really for me anymore since even Sony games come to PC, but some people don't want to deal with the hassle a PC can potentially have like corrupt drivers. Consoles are great for those who want hassle free plug and play.

bender

What time is it?
You are either deliberately or accidentally confusing "accessing" software and STREAMING software.
There is nothing wrong with something being online, if I can download on my local computer and keep it. You trying to say that is the same as Streaming is just an outright lie.

The fact is subscription is inferior to owning and and if a company like MS want to go sub only then I will say goodbye to them. That is actually why Steam has a backup OS they can move to if and when MS goes insane. Trust me, people are making preparations for Microsoft's plans.

You don't get to tell me what is going to happen, MS tryed that and that isn't working. That is why Xbox was failing, is failing, and will fail. Because in the end the customer decides, rich companies don't realize that gaming is not like housing or healthcare; we can't go without those other essential things, but gaming is not essential. If your game offering sucks then we don't buy them period. Market is still a thing, you don't get to steal money from people's pockets.

I'm not confusing anything, rather you are confused as you think I'm advocating for this which I'm not. I'm thinking about the future and the direction I believe things will go, while you are thinking about how tech and people's desires work today and how they've worked in the past. For what it is worth, I hope I'm wrong.

You don't get to tell me what is going to happen

It's called a discussion. If you can't handle it, bow out.

Toons

Console sale numbers say otherwise. And if inflation keeps up, cheaper boxes will continue to remain appealing for the general audience vs PC.

Console sale numbers are for the games, not the console itself.

You know how many people would still have bought a ps5 if there was no digital option? A whole fricking lot.

Disc's will maybe be around as a novelty like vinyl is for music but its not going to be the primary outlet for very long and once that bridge is crossed its not gonna come back in full force again.

I'm not confusing anything, rather you are confused as you think I'm advocating for this which I'm not. I'm thinking about the future and the direction I believe things will go, while you are thinking about how tech and people's desires work today and how they've worked in the past. For what it is worth, I hope I'm wrong.

You don't get to tell me what is going to happen

It's called a discussion. If you can't handle it, bow out.
Then I will tell you what is going to happen; game consoles will eventually be powerful enough that most of them will be Portable. The graphics would be compromised but it would be "good enough" for most people to not care. The hardware cost would be low enough and storage big enough that there is still no benefit to streaming. You still pay for software that you install in your console. There may be a separate market for powerful hardware just for VR setups, because that is the only thing that needs the power. And you want VR in a controlled environment anyway so you fix the machine in place with a mains power supply.

In that future streaming still doesn't take off, because it still costs too much to run and not enough people want to pay for it. Putting the hardware in a separate building and have people who want to use in in an unnecessarily far distance multiple blocks down the street is not a plus.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It's reducing distance so light has to travel less and can reach the gamer faster to minimize latency.

I feel like the reduction in distance should have been immediately obvious and I feel dumb.

I'm focused on the idea that light won't travel between A and B in a straight line any faster no matter what you do, which imposes an limit. Doesn't mean we can't get closer to that limit by making the line less crooked than it is now. That upper limit could still be an issue for gaming but my sarcasm is misplaced.

dcx4610

The future - Consoles will be like Amazon Fire Sticks and will just stream games.

Next Gen: Digital-only console will be the only option. You MIGHT get a disc add-on but only major titles will get physical releases.

If you want local hardware running your games, I think it's going to just be PC after 1 more generation. Nintendo will probably stay around but they've really pushed digital hard this gen and it wouldn't shock me at all if they are digital only after the Switch 2 or maybe even with Switch 2.

Top Bottom