• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol Devs working on fixing PC Issuie

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"some users"

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Pagusas

Elden Member
To this day I still do not understand why Nvidia, AMD, Microsoft and/or Epic has not found a fix to shader compilation stutter. Like.. any GPU company who fixed it would instantly have my money. Yes I know Dev's need to build their shit right, but its happen sooooooooooo often that someone screwed up with making DX12/UE4 and made it way to easy for devs to make a mistake.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I said it on a different thread, I'll say it again: If it was a fix that took only a few hours, was it really worth tarnishing their PC launch, plummeting their stock value by 9% and get a massive downvote on Steam? Just for a few hours?

I don't know if I should distrust their word at a few-hours-patch fix or be amazed at the incompetence. At least CD Projekt acknowledged the game would need months to fix, so it made sense to be released in a shitty state since it was far from finished.

If Callisto is supposedly fixed in a few hours ... why not delay the game's release for ... I don't know? A week? Half a week?

Midn1ght

It's good to see them addressing the issue quickly but how can this happen time and time again with new released games?

Don't they have people testing shit before day 1, and if so, aren't they seeing these issues for some reasons?
Or are they really just going "Errh, it's bad but hopefully it's not gonna affect everyone and we'll get a pass..."

Incredible...

Guilty_AI

It's good to see them addressing the issue quickly but how can this happen time and time again with new released games?

Don't they have people testing shit before day 1, and if so, aren't they seeing these issues for some reasons?
Or are they really just going "Errh, it's bad but hopefully it's not gonna affect everyone and we'll get a pass..."

Incredible...
likely everything is rushed, management is a mess and everyone involved in the project just wants to get it over it, go to sleep and postpone their problems.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Forgot the PS5 advertising, but not bad.
My mistake.

Amended statement:
Atleast the PS5 versions of every game ever never has any issues and doesnt ever recieve patches.

This is why I hate PC gaming.
PC games keep getting patched and even if they arent patched the community figures out a solution.
Atleast on PS5 if a game is broken there is no community solution which is better than having an open platform that I can try fixing.

Stuart360

People always think devs shaft PC users, but its more to do with consoles being set machines, while on PC there are litetrally thousands of combinations of hardware, which is partly the reason why you will get some PC users with issues, and others with no issues.
As long as stuff gets patched, its all good.

Hopefully when everything moves to UE5, we can leave behind UE4 and its stutter issues. Pretty sure Epic said it shouldnt be a problem with UE5.

Last edited:

ViolentP

Incredible...
There used to be a time when games were thoroughly tested before release. This was a time before remote patch deployment. But since then, its become sell first, fix later. This is true of every platform and is so successful that the method has become commonplace in the DLC space.

Stuart360

Incredible...
Sometimes devs simply have to hit a release date, whether by force from the publsiher, or simple a financial need.
I mean its pretty rare for a new game to launch these days with zero problems. Devs know they can release games, get user feedback on problems, then patch the games over the coming days/weeks.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
nonsense. This shouldve been fixed before launch. They knew this shit was broken and shipped it anyway.

Shouldve delayed the game like the rumors stated. The XSX version of the game doesnt even have ray traced reflections.

Patrick S.

Banned
To this day I still do not understand why Nvidia, AMD, Microsoft and/or Epic has not found a fix to shader compilation stutter. Like.. any GPU company who fixed it would instantly have my money. Yes I know Dev's need to build their shit right, but its happen sooooooooooo often that someone screwed up with making DX12/UE4 and made it way to easy for devs to make a mistake.
Can't you download precompiled shader packages for some emulators? I think RPCS3 allows this? Couldn't they just offer some of those as a patch or something?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Can't you download precompiled shader packages for some emulators? I think RPCS3 allows this? Couldn't they just offer some of those as a patch or something?
To have precompiled shaders you have to know the users hardware, and the PC space is full of different hardware mixes. Steam Deck can do pre-compiled user shared packages thanks to being a single hardware sku. I don't use emulators so I have no idea what the emulation scene does.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Correct me someone with more knowledge if I'm wrong, but afaik the issue is that, as there are many GPU architectures on PC and shaders work at low level for performance, devs cannot deliver the game with compiled shaders and target a single GPU configuration as they do on consoles (shaders have to be compiled there too, they just deliver pre-compiled), so they have to compile them on runtime once they detect which GPU the game is gonna run on... The thing is that you can do it at the beginning with an initial one-time longer loading time or you can avoid any loading time but do it in realtime (which is what's happening in these new games).

BTW, I've tried games made on UE4 like Jedi: Fallen Order that are a stutter fest and some like Mortal Shell that runs like butter, I don't think this is purely engine thing...

Guilty_AI

You can pre-compile shaders on the machine itself (many emulators do this), which would just be an extension of installation or loading screen. The only real disadvantage of this method is that it needs to be done again after driver updates.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
People always think devs shaft PC users, but its more to do with consoles being set machines, while on PC there are litetrally thousands of combinations of hardware, which is partly the reason why you will get some PC users with issues, and others with no issues.
As long as stuff gets patched, its all good.

Hopefully when everything moves to UE5, we can leave behind UE4 and its stutter issues. Pretty sure Epic said it shouldnt be a problem with UE5.
Forza Horizon, Spiderman, and a couple of Sony first party games do a pre-compilaton of shaders before you can get into the game. This issue will affect every single PC. It has nothing to do with there being hundreds of PC GPUs out there. They literally just dont care.

Sackboy did not and its a first party PS4 game. It really just depends on the dev and whether or not they give a shit.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Correct me someone with more knowledge if I'm wrong, but afaik the issue is that, as there are many GPU architectures on PC and shaders work at low level for performance, devs cannot deliver the game with compiled shaders and target a single GPU configuration as they do on consoles (shaders have to be compiled there too, they just deliver pre-compiled), so they have to compile them on runtime once they detect which GPU the game is gonna run on... The thing is that you can do it at the beginning with an initial one-time longer loading time or you can avoid any loading time but do it in realtime (which is what's happening in these new games).

BTW, I've tried games made on UE4 like Jedi: Fallen Order that are a stutter fest and some like Mortal Shell that runs like butter, I don't think this is purely engine thing...
Dev's have lots of options to compile the shaders at install, at first launch (lots of UE games do this), and several other ways to compile shaders NOT IN REALTIME. But for some reason, devs keep choosing to have the shaders compile during gameplay. Epic or Microsoft or the GPU makers should have found a solution to pre-compile/driver level compiling/or something to bypass the shobby work being done by devs regarding this issue.

Stuart360

Forza Horizon, Spiderman, and a couple of Sony first party games do a pre-compilaton of shaders before you can get into the game. This issue will affect every single PC. It has nothing to do with there being hundreds of PC GPUs out there. They literally just dont care.

Sackboy did not and its a first party PS4 game. It really just depends on the dev and whether or not they give a shit.
Well i think they do care, but they had to hit the release date for whatever reason. I mean they have a patch coming in a few hours, obviously they knew of this problem. I think they should of had the patch ready as a day one patch though, it would of saved the Steam review bombing.

And there are differing problems for different set ups on PC. There are games that have been review bombed for 'constant crashing', and i have played those games and had zero crashing. I do look after my PC though.

drotahorror

Of course. Any sane person knew this would be patched. Good on them for such a quick fix. Those reviews must have spurred them into action quickly lol.

Ah yes just like they did with Shadow Warrior 3 and Tokyo Ghostwire…. oh wait.

No one expects shit with UE4. Too hard for devs to let shaders compile 1 fuckin time before you start a game and avoid ruining their game for all of the pc audience.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Of course. Any sane person knew this would be patched. Good on them for such a quick fix. Those reviews must have spurred them into action quickly lol.

If the devs are able to fix shader compilation stuttering in such short notice, why didn't they release the game with the fix included? This was a very noticeable performance issue and the fix will come too late since the game is already getting review bombed on Steam and Digital Foundry is telling people not to buy the game. This is going to hurt their bottom line.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

No one expects shit with UE4. Too hard for devs to let shaders compile 1 fuckin time before you start a game and avoid ruining their game for all of the pc audience.
Were those developed by the same company as Callisto?

Last edited:

stranno

I wouldn't call shader compilation time an "issue". You just not launch a game without shader cache-precompilation. It is just a crappy design choice.

It's funny how Steam Deck users are probably getting the full shader cache way before the so-called "fix".

dorkimoe

I dont know why people are surprised anymore by this. literally almost every single pc game launches like this now. I cant imagine how hard it is to make a PC game with the infinite different pc configs there is

Mahnmut

It baffles me that they perfectly knew about it and cashed the money to play the pikachu face after release. And yet on this board some people were mocking the ones being cautious about the review embargo. People never learn. Don’t. Preorder. Shit. Especially digital goods that have unlimited supply.

Last edited:

They did fix SW3. Compiles shaders during the pre-rendered cutscenes.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Epic or Microsoft or the GPU makers should have found a solution to pre-compile/driver level compiling/or something to bypass the shobby work being done by devs regarding this issue.
The devs that want to sell their own games don't do this, what makes you think that Epic, Nvidia, AMD, or MS should do something instead? It's the devs that are hurting themselves.

Haggard

Banned
I dont know why people are surprised anymore by this. literally almost every single pc game launches like this now. I cant imagine how hard it is to make a PC game with the infinite different pc configs there is
Nope....
That's what you have Middleware for. And most games release just fine.

In this case it's a well known and easily fixable ue4 issue the developer shipped the game with +that crappy Denuvo probably.
This screams rushed release not "mystical pc complexity"... Even the Series X version is still incomplete....

Last edited:

fermcr

Too late! Fix your game and maybe I'll purchase it when heavily discounted.

Next time, if your game isn't ready to be released... DELAY IT!

Last edited:
Top Bottom