• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ways to travel, better city map and other Quality of Life Features are coming to Starfield in 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
starfield-update-1-8-88-notes-december-11-2023-v0-YBzWWhkrT-3A78WTYFuPzpBxecnGME5K2PHp_eGRjgU.jpg

Hey everyone, first, we read all the feedback here and greatly appreciate it and all the time and thought you put into the game. This small update was to mostly address the “pet-asteroid" so many asked about following our last larger update, and we wanted to get that out before the holiday.
We’ve been hard at work on many of the issues you’ve posted, and expect an update early next year that will include a large number of “in-progress” quest fixes as well as FSR3 and XeSS. Though we fixed several quest issues from occurring, in-progress quest fixes are much harder to fix and we’ve built a new system to correct those without you having to roll back your save.

We’re also hard at work on many of new features you asked for, from city maps, to mod support, to all new ways of traveling (stay tuned!). These will be rolling out with a regular cadence of fixes and updates we expect to have roughly every six weeks. If something can be done in a smaller hotfix in between (like the asteroid), and we feel it’s safe, we’ll get one of those out as well. Safe is the key here. We do take a lot of time to test even the smallest change in a game this large and dynamic.

Hope this information helps. If there are items you want more info on, or issues to make us aware of, keep posting here or our official Discord. Thanks again for all your support of us and the game.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
the launch of this is turning out to be similar to that of cyberpunk 2077
and six weeks between each update? these guys are slow
will they add AMD framegen similar to avatar?

Last edited:

BigLee74

And the trash responses are here already. Never let us down, Gaf.

All changes are welcome for when I pick this up again for DLC, or replay in a year or two. I fully expect land vehicles to be available for planet exploration - that’s enough for me (+60 fps would be great ta).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean they had SIX YEARS to figure out how to create a legible map but I'm pleased they they will continue working on the game to improve it :messenger_sunglasses:
When basic maps are considered a "new feature".
I'm grateful they weren't there when I played it. Dramatically enhanced the game for me. Probably the single best decision they made, and made it feel more like Morrowind than just following the Oblivion / Skyrim compass 100% of the time.

Seems they are caving to the pressure. People can stare at their mini-map now instead of learning their way through the cities. All the people that claim they want to "stumble upon things organically" refuse to do it in the cities, which is the main place you are supposed to.

If you guys honestly think they just couldn't make a map because it was beyond their ability, then that's pretty stupid. They chose to not have city maps on purpose.

Hey cyber punk made a good game from trash…. What’s the chances happens again?
It has launched in a much better state than no mans sky or fallout 76 and both of those managed to make a big comeback, Starfield is very salvagable, question is if they are willing to invest the resources needed for it.
Surprisingly, Starfield's biggest issues aren't related to bugs. The gameplay loop is it's biggest issue. To fix that would mean to redesign a large, large portion of the game.

Also(this is my own personal gripe with the game) level scaling ruins the fun of potentially running into areas and planets that you would usually be way underleveled for. Starfield should be giving me the same feelings that Lethal Company does when exploring a dangerous planet. However, it simply doesn't aside from a small sample of creatures that are canonically supposed to be strong.

R6Rider

Gold Member
If you guys honestly think they just couldn't make a map because it was beyond their ability, then that's pretty stupid. They chose to not have city maps on purpose.
They obviously chose not to include them. That doesn't mean the decision wasn't idiotic.

And when it comes to Morrowind, that game had a map. The exploration was so good because you didn't have any markers (and had actual reasons to explore and discover things).

Starfield having markers, yet no map, is backwards.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Surprisingly, Starfield's biggest issues aren't related to bugs. The gameplay loop is it's biggest issue. To fix that would mean to redesign a large, large portion of the game.

Also(this is my own personal gripe with the game) level scaling ruins the fun of potentially running into areas and planets that you would usually be way underleveled for. Starfield should be giving me the same feelings that Lethal Company does when exploring a dangerous planet. However, it simply doesn't aside from a small sample of creatures that are canonically supposed to be strong.
Agreed Cyberpunk was great creatively, but a buggy mess on the technical side. This is more of a mess on the creative/design side, but its relatively decent on the technical side. Pretty much the opposite of cyberpunk at launch.

I mean seeing as how much they have continued to support the useless shit that is Fallout 76, there is a high chance.

I especially thinks someone like Todd Howard to actually cares about the videogames he makes would want to correct his wrongs and alleviate general player issues.

hinch7

I think you're contradicting yourself here. How was it trash, now its not? Difference being CP2077 was always a good game underneath the terrible console ports at launch, bugs and cut/or rushed content.

Starfield on the other hand there's no amount of updates that can fix the problems with this game.

MiguelItUp

I already beat the game once, and I can't do it again, lmao. It's gonna suck if this becomes a CP2077 situation where I beat it back in the day and it was fine, but then it just got better, and better, and better in time. Then I don't want to beat it again because it's already been there done that and I've made my peace, lol.

Dazraell

I don't think they will revamp the game that extensively as what CDPR did as Bethesda never had a history of doing something like that with their singleplayer games. The only case was Fallout 76 where critical response at launch was much worse than Starfield's, where CD Projekt was known for patches adding tons of fixes and changes to the game ever since The Witcher 1. But any additions are always most welcomed

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think you're contradicting yourself here. How was it trash, now its not? Difference being CP2077 was always a good game underneath the terrible console ports at launch, bugs and cut/or rushed content.

Starfield on the other hand there's no amount of updates that can fix the problems with this game.

Haven't played either iteration yet, but...

Did you say "underneath all the things that make it a bad game, it's a good game," ?

For serious?

Bruh The Last Jedi is a good movie underneath the plot.

Certinty

I don’t get the Cyberpunk 2077 comparisons.

Cyberpunk had a very strong foundation at launch despite the unfinished and missing features as well as all the bugs.

This really doesn’t, it’s an extremely outdated game design wise in almost every way, I don’t think there’s any saving this. Those who like the game will probably enjoy these updates but I can’t see it attracting others.

hinch7

Haven't played either iteration yet, but...

Did you say "underneath all the things that make it a bad game, it's a good game," ?

For serious?

Bruh The Last Jedi is a good movie underneath the plot.
Well you haven't played either so I rest my case.

I played the game CP 2077 at launch on PC and I really enjoyed it and so many other people did, critics included. It was my GOTY. The game was broken on consoles and pulled from the PSN store, then returned when it was fixed. There's so many issues with Starfield. With its story, characters, game design etc that simply can't be fixed. Total non comparison.

Last edited:

nowhat

Difference being CP2077 was always a good game underneath the terrible console ports at launch, bugs and cut/or rushed content.
So I quite liked getting back to CP2077 with Phantom Liberty, as an action game. But they still haven't patched in (even with the latest round of patches) a meaningful RPG where your choices matter, and this was one of the features that CDPR hyped up to the wazoo prior to launch.

Top Bottom