• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New ways to travel, better city map and other Quality of Life Features are coming to Starfield in 2024

I see the no standards crew are checking in for duty.
ezgif-5-287b9b2e6b.thumb.gif.677a5509c84eb0143d5b6c697eaf1d88.gif

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm grateful they weren't there when I played it. Dramatically enhanced the game for me. Probably the single best decision they made, and made it feel more like Morrowind than just following the Oblivion / Skyrim compass 100% of the time.

Seems they are caving to the pressure. People can stare at their mini-map now instead of learning their way through the cities. All the people that claim they want to "stumble upon things organically" refuse to do it in the cities, which is the main place you are supposed to.

If you guys honestly think they just couldn't make a map because it was beyond their ability, then that's pretty stupid. They chose to not have city maps on purpose.
People have become some accustomed to dumbed down open world game maps with markers telling them where every location and side objective sits so that they don't have to explore anything, they can just pound their way though to the trophies and achievements. Attention spans are dead.

In Starfield I found that it was good enough for me to have the current mission marker to highlight the destination without needing to be handheld through every single location on the map. To know where places are you really only need to walk a city once and go through the open doors and talk to people to find out what's there and then just remember it. I guess some people can't find their way around without GPS.

hinch7

So I quite liked getting back to CP2077 with Phantom Liberty, as an action game. But they still haven't patched in (even with the latest round of patches) a meaningful RPG where your choices matter, and this was one of the features that CDPR hyped up to the wazoo prior to launch.
Still waiting for flying cars. In any case its one the best games in the 'Cyberpunk' setting released thus far alongside Deux Ex. There's not that many choices available as an RPG but as an action RPG its fine. Still one of the most memorable gaming experiences in modern gaming as single player expereriences go. People negging on about it not meeting its expectations are just too wrapped up on the promises made a decade ago.

Hoping Bethesda turns Starfield around.. not only for Bethesda fans but fans of their games, but I think its too little too late for this game. As most people would have moved on by now. What I will say is that they HAVE to do something drastic for TES VI. As Starfield, I feel this game did a lot of damage to their rep. Much like Cyberpunk 2077 did to CD Projekt Red on release.

Last edited:

nowhat

[Regarding CP2077] People negging on about it not meeting its expectations are just too wrapped up on the promises made a decade ago.
A decade ago? That would be fair, but we're talking about promises made like a few months before release.

Also still waiting for that car customization. Not that I'd personally care that much, but it was prominently featured in a trailer released in October 2020. That is a month before release (or two months, because the last delay, but still).

twilo99

This game will get better and better. Yes, it's not ideal but cyberpunk turned it around. These big rpgs can get away with it.

Looking forward to jumping back in.

I just need mods to spice things up.. when are those supposed to come again? I think they said sometimes next year but nothing since

hinch7

A decade ago? That would be fair, but we're talking about promises made like a few months before release.

Also still waiting for that car customization. Not that I'd personally care that much, but it was prominently featured in a trailer released in October 2020. That is a month before release (or two months, because the last delay, but still).
Most of the complaints were that it was missing a lot of content and they have addressed a lot of them. There's a thread here a few years ago, some of which are still being updated like the Metro system in the last big patch. Didn't know car customisations was even a thing or promised.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
There's so many issues with Starfield. With its story, characters, game design etc that simply can't be fixed. Total non comparison.
Many people had the same issues with Cyberpunk, including me. Game had tons of core gameplay issues.

nowhat

There's no redemption story here
(to the tune of Bob Marley, as sung by Todd)

Old pirates, yes, they rob I
Sold I to the MS ships
Minutes after they took I
From the Skyrim pit

But my leather jacket was made strong
By the hand of sixteen times the detail
We forward in this console generation
It just works, don't count sales in retail

Oh won't you help to sing
These songs of Starfield
'Cause all I ever have
Redemption song
And Steam reviews are wrong

Buggy Loop

Scam Citizen crew coming in like

artworks-000578113766-tb5h3m-t500x500.jpg

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

Why are you attacking GHG GHG ?

Let's see, one of the most recent Star Citizen thread with all the citizencon content, which was hype as fuck, and I created :

CnGKKjY.jpg

7Qs4S5F.jpg

What is your problem?

Oh but big brain move there, "scam" citizen HURHURHUR.

Went from 8 employees behind a demo to ~800 employees at CIG, ~2 thousands worldwide with all satellite studios
Had no engine, nor like a team ready to start a project on an engine that they knew inhouse for decades, or even the employee structure that a long time studio has at the beginning of a project. Has two massive projects at the same time, the single player and the MMO. Is spending nearly all yearly fundings into operational costs, because you know, it's an UK company and all of that is available publicly..

While not finished, I had more fun with the MMO full of bugs and jank, WAY more fun in fact, than 98 hours of Starfield with all faction and main quests done.

So the "scam" has managed with 10 years of work on two projects, with ~$600M to have more impact than 8 years of development with $400M from a crew of devs that had already the engine and a team that is structured to make games for decades.

In fact Starfield reception is so bad that Star Citizen is approaching RECORD year and membership spike. Thanks Todd!

Sometimes taking the time to set up the technology is important, Starfield can never go back

Maybe now that citizencon happened and unveiled a shitload of tech, maybe Bethesda can take a look at a map system and copy

Or... naw, took them 2 months to implement DLSS which was done by an amateur in 5 minutes at launch, there's no way they make a meaningful map. Have they even implemented a button prompt to eat food without going to inventory yet? Or is that a 2024 feature?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

Why are you attacking GHG GHG ?

Let's see, one of the most recent Star Citizen thread with all the citizencon content, which was hype as fuck, and I created :

CnGKKjY.jpg

7Qs4S5F.jpg

What is your problem?

Oh but big brain move there, "scam" citizen HURHURHUR.

Went from 8 employees behind a demo to ~800 employees at CIG, ~2 thousands worldwide with all satellite studios
Had no engine, nor like a team ready to start a project on an engine that they knew inhouse for decades, or even the employee structure that a long time studio has at the beginning of a project. Has two massive projects at the same time, the single player and the MMO. Is spending nearly all yearly fundings into operational costs, because you know, it's an UK company and all of that is available publicly..

While not finished, I had more fun with the MMO full of bugs and jank, WAY more fun in fact, than 98 hours of Starfield with all faction and main quests done.

Sometimes taking the time to set up the technology is important, Starfield can never go back

Maybe now that citizencon happened and unveiled a shitload of tech, maybe Bethesda can take a look at a map system and copy

Or... naw, took them 2 months to implement DLSS which was done by an amateur in 5 minutes at launch, there's no way they make a meaningful map. Have they even implemented a button prompt to eat food without going to inventory yet? Or is that a 2024 feature?

Daddy chill.

GHG knows which of his post I'm referring.

It has launched in a much better state than no mans sky or fallout 76 and both of those managed to make a big comeback, Starfield is very salvagable, question is if they are willing to invest the resources needed for it.
yep. it'd be a shame if they aren't...

mdkirby

This game needs a no man’s sky or cyberpunk style committed overhaul. I’ve put it down about 20 hours in. Hopefully they make it significantly less ‘meh’ in a year or two and I’ll pick it back up. It’s extremely rare studios take that step and I’m not sure if the will to do so is there.

Denton

Hey cyber punk made a good game from trash…. What’s the chances happens again?
Cyberpunk was never trash, just oldgen console versions were technically fucked up.

Starfield's problems lie elsewhere.

Gonna need receipts on that. Rewatched the "rides of the future" trailer from October 2020. Not a word about car customization in it.

Still waiting for flying cars.

Which were never "promised". But still, they can be modded in on PC.

Last edited:

nowhat

Gonna need receipts on that. Rewatched the "rides of the future" trailer from October 2020. Not a word about car customization in it.
You are actually right. Something of a Mandela effect I suppose. But I can give you a ton of clips where such a system was promised before. And also "enchangeable parts for tuning".

Last edited:

Denton

You are actually right. Something of a Mandela effect I suppose. But I can give you a ton of clips where such a system was promised before. And also "enchangeable parts for tuning".
The guy literally says they don't have customization of cars, but have variants of the cars. Which is what the game has.

In reality, most of this whining about "promises" is empty air. Game dev is iterative. Things change.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hey I wasn’t expecting them to do anything about anything..so this is interesting…

Last edited:

nowhat

The guy literally says they don't have customization of cars, but have variants of the cars. Which is what the game has.
Yeah. Look at the clip like a few seconds more, and you'll see that "their powerful engines and exchangeable parts make them perfect for tuning". I don't know if that tuning is only for like imagining, but...

Frankly, I don't care about that aspect that much. Just that if there's ever any more Cyberpunk, make it more RPG. Because as it is and when it comes to CDPR games, I've felt more role-playing as Geralt, which should be a one-and-done character.

gothmog

Gold Member
City maps 6 months later seems about as bad as BF2042 releasing a scoreboard 6 months after launch. It would be amazing if Bethesda even got half the shit the DICE team got about that because the BF team actually started steering the game in the right direction after getting blasted by the community.

Cyberpunk was trash? Things that make you go hmmm.
The online discourse for the game was incredibly negative because of the bugs and the performance on base last gen consoles. On PC the game ran very well, it still had bugs but it was playable.

The issue is once the hivemind has decided "thing bad" all it can ever conclude is thing bad until the discourse changes. Cyberpunk plenty of good aspects but the "Cyberpunk bad" folks would never acknowledge them. Starfield is in the same boat albeit in better shape in terms of console performance and bugs.

StereoVsn

Going to pick it up again in a couple of years when Bethesda has updated it accordingly and brought it up from the depths of mediocrity.
Yep, basically same deal as Cyberpunk turned out to be. In a year or two of patches and mods (if Bethesda doesn’t kill off non paid modding by then), Starfield could be decent.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The numbers of chills for CP2077 is amazing. It's like they launched a great game in 2020. Spoiler: it was NOT.
I played on PC day one, maxed out with a very good PC and it was (still is) a buggy mess. I saw someone said "I had only 2 bugs and I played at launch" and I'm like WTF, just open your eyes dude.

And for fun, I wanted to launch Phantom Liberty. As soon as I arrived in front of the stadium, things started to get messy: I had a car that appeared 10m in the air then crashed into another which then glitched halfway into the road. These 2 cars then exploded and the cops started shooting while I was talking to start the PL quest. And, while I was still talking for that PL quest, the cops started shooting at me, killing me. 10 minutes of gameplay on the latest version. What is this fucking trashy game after 3 fucking years??

Anyway, that's enough for my rant against CP2077. As for Starfield these announcements are too little, too late Imo.

Surprisingly, Starfield's biggest issues aren't related to bugs. The gameplay loop is it's biggest issue. To fix that would mean to redesign a large, large portion of the game.

Gameplay loop is pretty straightforward to fix here actually.

Survival mode + quests out side cities.

Will realize full potential, incentivizing proper exploration of galaxy.

Considering what they have already delivered (massive game + systems + quests) am sure even 8 years wouldn't be enough to realize their vision. Hence continued development.

Ansphn

Hey cyber punk made a good game from trash…. What’s the chances happens again?
Zero. Why? Let me explain.

Cyberpunk made like 10 millions in sales in 10 days. So they actually made money. Also, CD Project Red has a history of fixing and improving their games. Look at the Witcher games.

While... Starfield is on Gamepass making small amounts of money. Also, just look at Redfall and then Halo Infinite. These games are also Xbox 1st party games Day 1 on Gamepass and both has not been improved much.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, Starfield's biggest issues aren't related to bugs. The gameplay loop is it's biggest issue. To fix that would mean to redesign a large, large portion of the game.

Also(this is my own personal gripe with the game) level scaling ruins the fun of potentially running into areas and planets that you would usually be way underleveled for. Starfield should be giving me the same feelings that Lethal Company does when exploring a dangerous planet. However, it simply doesn't aside from a small sample of creatures that are canonically supposed to be strong.

This!!

Zero. Why? Let me explain.

Cyberpunk made like 10 millions in sales in 10 days. So they actually made money. Also, CD Project Red has a history of fixing and improving their games. Look at the Witcher games.

While... Starfield is on Gamepass making small amounts of money. Also, just look at Redfall and then Halo Infinite. These games are also Xbox 1st party games Day 1 on Gamepass and both has not been improved much.

Updates are already coming.

This is literally thread about it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
People really don't understand that some people love starfield.

Some people love and adore death Stranding, others think its a steaming pile of rancid poo but I don't think ive ever seen a game get so much energy as Starfield gets applied to it.

We all know games aren't for everyone but somehow, some people can't accept that to millions of people, starfield is a good game.

Must be sad to hold such negativity against a game and the company that developed it.

Last edited:
Gameplay loop is pretty straightforward to fix here actually.

Survival mode + quests out side cities.

Will realize full potential, incentivizing proper exploration of galaxy.

Considering what they have already delivered (massive game + systems + quests) am sure even 8 years wouldn't be enough to realize their vision. Hence continued development.
There are already quite a few non city quests in the game, but I do think a type of survival mode can somewhat help. I think it would have to involve resources being much more limited, removal of level scaling, and also spawning on a random planet in a random system with a random ship.

There are already quite a few non city quests in the game, but I do think a type of survival mode can somewhat help. I think it would have to involve resources being much more limited, removal of level scaling, and also spawning on a random planet in a random system with a random ship.

Whenever you go out and randomly explore a system, you should run into a unique quest. 1-2 quests per system is fine. That would ensure I keep randomly exploring systems.

I did found some quests while exploring, they need to be more regular. Maybe they can tie them into survival systems make them about helping out outposts/settlers. That way they won't need to be elaborate like some of them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm grateful they weren't there when I played it. Dramatically enhanced the game for me. Probably the single best decision they made, and made it feel more like Morrowind than just following the Oblivion / Skyrim compass 100% of the time.

Seems they are caving to the pressure. People can stare at their mini-map now instead of learning their way through the cities. All the people that claim they want to "stumble upon things organically" refuse to do it in the cities, which is the main place you are supposed to.

If you guys honestly think they just couldn't make a map because it was beyond their ability, then that's pretty stupid. They chose to not have city maps on purpose.
They still designed it around waypoints as you have a marker telling you what to do, otherwise getting lost was an issue for many so it felt for many like a game designed around something which was then taken away if it makes more sense spelled out this way.

On the methods of transport update, I am not sure it will be about adding seamless travel on the planets/moons you encounter or reduce loading screens throughout the game :/… probably cars/bikes/buggies or something to move faster in the surface. Or stronger jet packs.

On the NMS comeback, aside from modding tools, over time Hello Games brought in much much bigger features / changes to the engine and game than people sometimes give it credit to: full VR with foveated rendering, full online multiplayer, etc… so wishing for a drastic reduction in loading screens and more to do in each (expanded) area on the planet should not be out of this world (no pun intended ;)).

Markio128

I think the best redemption arc would be to stick to what you’re good at and work on the next Elder Scrolls instead.

Kenpachii

Played it for 5 hours around launch, then booted up cyberpunk 2.0 never returned to starfield.

Will play it in a few years when the game is fully done.

Top Bottom