• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol Devs working on fixing PC Issuie

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I dont know why people are surprised anymore by this. literally almost every single pc game launches like this now. I cant imagine how hard it is to make a PC game with the infinite different pc configs there is

The same as it’s always been making PC games. PC gaming isn’t new.

TrebleShot

This is a horrible tweet as someone mentioned earlier in the thread if it’s easy enough to patch in a few hours why wasn’t it in the final code.

The Tweet screams of “get a statement out asap” then we’ll do some triage on it and see what we can do. I’d be amazed if this is fixed in a few hours and it certainly won’t be tested in that time.

The end user is the tester. Interesting.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Small indie studio, please understand.
Dude is in full damage control now.

Last edited:

GHG

Small indie studio, please understand.
Dude is in full damage control now.

And to think, a few weeks ago this man was happily swinging his balls about telling the world his game is AAAA.

Now he's all like "we're a startup".

sean-murray-head-explode.gif

Saber

Gold Member
I would say this is good news, they responded rather quickly.
But I kinda agree with the sentiment...if its a simple patch(I mean, a fix in a few hours)would've kill to give the game a day or two before releasing in that state?

Thaedolus

Guys, users found a fix on their own that was like editing an ini file or something.

You’re all acting like they knew the game ran like shit on PC anyway, or it went through QA like this, and they just said “fuck it!” anyway?

There was probably some issue of version control or something and a build with the wrong switch flipped got shipped, and that’s how they’re going to be able to fix it so quickly. End of story. Quit trying to make this into them just being too lazy to prechache the shaders on PC when consoles with 1/5th the power can apparently do it. They made a mistake and are going to fix it as fast as they can, and I’m sure they’re mortified that it happened

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
And to think, a few weeks ago this man was happily swinging his balls about telling the world his game is AAAA.

Yeah, it's nuts.

Very apropiate gif btw, dude did a total Sean Murray when marketing Callisto Protocol.

Reactions: GHG

Midn1ght

Just a few hours to fix guys. Promise.

*looks at time*

*found update

How in god damn hell do you "miss" an issue that big and evident.
If these studios are really releasing these games without knowing about the stutter issues then something is fundamentally broken in their pre-launch testing process.

So yeah, him going: "I swear, we didn't know guys"
Lies No GIF

I expect nothing but if this actually fixes everything why not just delay the game for a couple of days on PC?
Reading his tweets, I don't think the version they intended to release was actually released. Sounds like someone pushed the wrong update/version to publish. Someone on Reddit said the Epic version has already had this latest patch pushed. Steam still waiting atm.

I have the game open in Steam right now. Holding off continuing in hopes it actually gets updated.

I hope for their sake this patch resolves the shader compilation issues. The reviews on Steam are so sensitive to perf.

This could have been avoided had they sent out review copies earlier/or not had such a limited embargo period. Hopefully nobody is undeservedly taking the fall.

Guys, users found a fix on their own that was like editing an ini file or something.

You’re all acting like they knew the game ran like shit on PC anyway, or it went through QA like this, and they just said “fuck it!” anyway?

There was probably some issue of version control or something and a build with the wrong switch flipped got shipped, and that’s how they’re going to be able to fix it so quickly. End of story. Quit trying to make this into them just being too lazy to prechache the shaders on PC when consoles with 1/5th the power can apparently do it. They made a mistake and are going to fix it as fast as they can, and I’m sure they’re mortified that it happened
Pretty sure that's the case, reading Glen's tweets.

Really hope it's true and the patch fixes it. Been waiting eagerly for this game ever since the first reveal. Tried playing a few times today and the stutter is absolutely immersion breaking. Even people who aren't graphics ho's would notice it

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Theres already an updated version, we call it the PS5 version.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I expect nothing but if this actually fixes everything why not just delay the game for a couple of days on PC?
Glenn commented that, apparently, an error was made and something was incorrectly patched.

I suspect the RC that was tested and greenlit for the PC release wasn't the one that was uploaded to the various stores, perhaps a last-minute bug fix, and it introduced the stutter issue. Given that the stuttering specifically can mitigated with a config file change, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt here if the patch actually works as well as he's floating.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Reading his tweets, I don't think the version they intended to release was actually released. Sounds like someone pushed the wrong update/version to publish. Someone on Reddit said the Epic version has already had this latest patch pushed. Steam still waiting atm.

I have the game open in Steam right now. Holding off continuing in hopes it actually gets updated.
Hope it's true, still a giant fuck up tho, the game is being destroyed by steam users reviews and probably being refunded left and right.

Stuart360

Yeah i saw a so called 'insider' on Reddit saying the patch they are going to release is actually the day one patch that they forgot to release with the game itself. Thats why the patch is coming so quickly.
Pretty embarrasing if true.

Killer8

Many questions raised by Glen's response.

If it was simply something they missed and is an easy fix in a few hours - why is the exact same shader compilation stutter such a pervasive issue in basically every high profile Unreal Engine 4 release using DX12? Do the settings/tools actually exist within the engine to prevent all of these #stutterstruggle issues we've been seeing?

If so, why the fuck is seemingly every Unreal Engine 4 developer a) failing to notice these issues before release, or b) noticing them but not doing anything to solve them with the solutions available?

Why is Epic also trying to develop an engine solution to the stutter (automated Pipeline State Object in UE5) if it's such an easy fix in a few hours for the developer to do?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Glen can suck a dick. You’re telling me this game not utilizing cpu cores correctly and shader compilation stutter never was a problem in testing ? How ? What fucking wild PC of the future did they use ? Even 4090s are getting this lol.

Banned
No dev is lazy dev, if you don't know how is the software development environment, simply shut your mouth.
This is a big project with small team, dealing with deadlines. Be respectful for any software developer.

explain how the team behind the port of Sackboy fixed the shader stutters literally within a week... you gonna tell me there was no time for that during the initial porting process?

devs just don't give a shit...

devs literally often just forget to enable the correct settings in games, which is how we often ended up with Xbox One X games that run Xbox One S settings even tho the PS4 and PS4 Pro use higher settings.
or how in talks with devs the DF team reported that the reason so many games had such shit texture filtering on last gen is that they didn't care to check if it's enabled and they didn't notice.

so the possibility of devs being lazy, don't care, or at least that they are fucking incompetent is not impossible for many games or ports

MiguelItUp

Krafton came up with that during a quarterly review. I don't think Glen ran around saying that. I'm sure people cornered him asking him wtf that meant and maybe he rolled with it, but the comment wasn't made by him or his studio. 🤷‍♂️

He's not wrong, their studio is technically a start up, and this is their first title.

Rea

explain how the team behind the port of Sackboy fixed the shader stutters literally within a week... you gonna tell me there was no time for that during the initial porting process?

devs just don't give a shit...

devs literally often just forget to enable the correct settings in games, which is how we often ended up with Xbox One X games that run Xbox One S settings even tho the PS4 and PS4 Pro use higher settings.
or how in talks with devs the DF team reported that the reason so many games had such shit texture filtering on last gen is that they didn't care to check if it's enabled and they didn't notice.

so the possibility of devs being lazy, don't care, or at least that they are fucking incompetent is not impossible for many games or ports
Different priorities, targets, time, budget, Different projects, many other things which you don't know. It's not as simple as writing paragraphs in Microsoft Words. It's true some are more talented than the others. Simply calling them lazy is just insulting to the professionals with years of experience. Pretty sure for this game they spend most of their time and budget optimizing for Playstation platforms. That's all there is.

Hm...you know what? That Digital Foundry review tearing the PC version a new one came out a day or two ago, and it drew attention to the stutter issue. So even if they accidentally released the wrong version of the game...wouldn't they have caught it then?

ZehDon

Gold Member

Waiting on word from folks testing it out. If it lands well, I'll be diving in.

edit: looks likes it fixing a lot of the stuttering issues people have had. Performance remains largely the same.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Sorry for the ignorance but what is this 5:45 he keeps referring to? Surely it’s not the time, since the world is a sphere?

Kacho

Sorry for the ignorance but what is this 5:45 he keeps referring to? Surely it’s not the time, since the world is a sphere?
I assume he means PST since most US devs are in California

Edit: reading the Steam forums, sounds like PCMR is back on the menu, boys.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I assume he means PST since most US devs are in California

Edit: reading the Steam forums, sounds like PCMR is back on the menu, boys.

Oh I thought they were based on Korea. They should really be using SBRST (split based relative standard time) between the two locations.

Top Bottom