• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the Kingdom is a boring game

I‘ll mod it the next time I‘ll try to play through it, can‘t get along with breaking weapons. I‘m almost always running around with a soup laddle as my last weapon and I really hate the fact that looking for weapons is always interrupting the flow of the game.

Hudo

6 years for a glorified BOTW DLC with tacked on building mechanics nobody asked for and the exact same combat system. This game feels like a gigantic chore. You just get tired of doing shrines over and over again…finding korok seeds….rinse and repeat… The map is huge with the multiple depths, but it’s also empty and dead. I was really excited with the sky island, but when I dropped back down to Hyrule, I suddenly felt like I was just playing BoTW all over again. All of the BoTW burnout came rushing back. I have tried very hard to like this game but it's not for me.
That's OK. I loved both BotW and TotK but dropped Witcher 3 and RDR2 after some hours because I got bored with them. Not every game is for everyone. And thank fucking god for that.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I suppose my point would be don't have caves and camps and random things around the map have the potential to yield shit for the effort you put in. Instead of having a bunch of caves, have fewer that yield dopeass things inside.

I can see that, but I also don't agree. If I see a cave and knew that there was always something useful in it, it makes it less interesting to explore. I would rather just find something that can tell environmental narratives or even just a random nothing cave. It makes the world feel more alive and interesting to explore. I would rather enter a cave or dungeon and not know at all what kind of reward, if one exists at all, awaits me.

My biggest issue with the way ToTK does it is that the game feels a lot more "gamified" comapred to BotW, where there were long stretches of nothing and I preferred that over constantly h elping build signs or seeing stockpiles of lumber.

Svejk

After 200 hours of BOTW, which I enjoyed, TOTK made me bored to tears. Wish it wasn't a "direct sequel" and was something that felt new.

I liked the game, don't get me wrong, but a lot of the criticism you listed are valid. The combat system is boring and dated af. It was in BoTW and it's basically a repeat. From a combat perspective it feels like something that plays from the late 90s early 2000s. The sky islands and depths are too samey and are basically just filler. Like the sky Island have mainly the same objectives. Then you have the fact that it's basically the same damn map, with the same "temples".

Again, I thought the game was great. But the lack of criticism for those things still have me shocked. I feel like if almost any other game had these type of problems it would be a big deal, at least here on gaf. Idk if it's because it's Nintendo or just the Zelda IP, but the criticism for the last 2 entries are always just brushed away.

hemo memo

Gold Member
BotW did the opposite for me. Played it on release, then again with TotK back to back and I disagree. Playing Baldo currently, this game wouldn’t exist if it’s not the influence of Zelda games.

BouncyFrag

I'll say this, Fuse while an amazing mechanic is brought down so much by it's implementation that it makes the combat worse than in BOTW.

Want a fire arrow? Let me sift through this long ass menu of all the items i've picked up in the game just to do that!

Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-Monster-materials.jpg
By the end I was sick of this nonsense.

I can see that, but I also don't agree. If I see a cave and knew that there was always something useful in it, it makes it less interesting to explore. I would rather just find something that can tell environmental narratives or even just a random nothing cave. It makes the world feel more alive and interesting to explore. I would rather enter a cave or dungeon and not know at all what kind of reward, if one exists at all, awaits me.

My biggest issue with the way ToTK does it is that the game feels a lot more "gamified" comapred to BotW, where there were long stretches of nothing and I preferred that over constantly h elping build signs or seeing stockpiles of lumber.
I see, you seem to like more of that roleplaying aspect then. Do you like Fallout New Vegas by chance? That's another one people truly love for the openness and possible discovery and survival aspects but, personally, i just got bored and most things i did resulted in something i found to be wastes of time (outside of some interesting, though rare, stories/characters)

Another boring, empty world 5hat somehow manages to feel worse than BotW. Hugely overrated game that didn't deserve the scores, just a case reviewers who grew up playing Nintendo giving them a free pass.
Couldnt agree more lmao. American revievers especially have a huge hard on for Nintendo because manority of them grew up with n64 xD
It's crazy how much Nintendo gets a pass from people and industry lmao.

Dynasty8

Also found it boring, but I'll acknowledge that the game is very impressive overall. OoT still holds as one of my favorite games ever made, but most modern Nintendo games just no longer appeal to me anymore. Not my cup of tea.

Kappa

I agree but its more an open world issue than specific loz mechanics. Rdr2 was an even more boring snooze fest for me for the same reasons

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I see, you seem to like more of that roleplaying aspect then. Do you like Fallout New Vegas by chance? That's another one people truly love for the openness and possible discovery and survival aspects but, personally, i just got bored and most things i did resulted in something i found to be wastes of time (outside of some interesting, though rare, stories/characters)
Absolutely! RPGs in general are my favorite genre. New Vegas is defintiely high up on that list.

ToTK is definitely not a game for everyone and I do hope they occasionally release "old school" style Zelda games for those interested. Always better to have variety than sticking with a single gameplay design.

Field

Loved Botw but have little interest in Tears of the kingdom. Building shit and flying everywhere looks boring and I just don’t think I can stomach another Botw that is x2 larger with exact same music, graphics, npc interactions etc.

Last edited:
Absolutely! RPGs in general are my favorite genre. New Vegas is defintiely high up on that list.

ToTK is definitely not a game for everyone and I do hope they occasionally release "old school" style Zelda games for those interested. Always better to have variety than sticking with a single gameplay design.
Ahhh alright then. I respect that level of role playing, it hits me from time to time (hunting and camping in RDR2 comes to mine) so i do understand the appeal in some sense, but overall i think we'll just respectfully disagree with one another with the discovery in TOTK. Just not for me.

BOTW was meh too after the first hours or so, I liked the old formula more.
@Alexios fck off
Same I did like the traveling in the game but yea I prefer the old formula. Boss fights were bad and so were the dungeons. One boss I literally just kept swinging my sword till it died. It killed me once but I revived and just started again.

I think BOTW is phenomenal, but I hate that this is what Zelda is now because nobody else is doing the traditional 3D Zelda formula anymore, it's like a lost genre at this point.

I truly do wish BOTW and TOTK was based on a dead Nintendo franchise. Maybe one with a character using their wings instead of a glider. Maybe one that is already know to use a bow.

....Kid Icarus: Breath of the Wild

Last edited:

Crayon

I have to say, my experience was similar. I played a good amount but all I remember is it looking dreary and many dozen building puzzles that I didn't enjoy.

I don't feel like I want to give up on it but if you pressed me to call it right now, yea I am disappointed.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ahhh alright then. I respect that level of role playing, it hits me from time to time (hunting and camping in RDR2 comes to mine) so i do understand the appeal in some sense, but overall i think we'll just respectfully disagree with one another with the discovery in TOTK. Just not for me.

That is perfectly good! Not all games are for all people. Hopefully the next Zelda game will be more up your alley :D

The first 20 hours of botw is amazing, it’s was the exploration that made the game, a few hours into totk, seems more of the same, I don’t feel these games are zelda games, If these games were a new ip, it would have sold just as well, still miss the traditional Zelda games, ohh well, good things don’t last forever.

And to think they were comparing BOTW to RDR 2 lol back then....both games are boring as hell with enemies not evolved since 30 years ago. But yeah its ZELDA, you arent allowed to say anything bad. Wait 5 more years and then you will start seeing topics from fans "actually TOTK was boring", "TOTK was a DLC" etc more and more.

Shut0wen

6 years for a glorified BOTW DLC with tacked on building mechanics nobody asked for and the exact same combat system. This game feels like a gigantic chore. You just get tired of doing shrines over and over again…finding korok seeds….rinse and repeat… The map is huge with the multiple depths, but it’s also empty and dead. I was really excited with the sky island, but when I dropped back down to Hyrule, I suddenly felt like I was just playing BoTW all over again. All of the BoTW burnout came rushing back. I have tried very hard to like this game but it's not for me.
As a big zelda fan i have to agree, my biggest gripe is the combat, fucking shite everything else is fine though i do think the building is shit because im shit at it

Shut0wen

A game that pushes discovery, so you'll go into a secret cave and waste 4-5 weapons defeating enemies just to get a single Rock Salt. A game that pushes it's building mechanic but it takes too long to get what you want, and putting 10 minutes into something results in a vehicle that's fun for 10 seconds then it flips over or falls off a cliff.

The depths are just copy/pasted nonsense. If it were like, 1/3 the size, i think it'd be much better. To be honest, if all three elevations were about 1/3 their size, the game would be better.

The battle system I've never found impressive whatsoever. All the crazy shit you see people do on YouTube is always this jarring thing of using slowdown and menuing and stopping the sequence constantly because none of the aspects flow together well.

I always have the fantasy of the sky areas yielding pieces of unbreakable weapons you can unlock. The main map is where you find your outfits in caves and camps you find along the way. The depths are where you find your blueprints and building materials, but instead it's just a mishmash of stuff that i never know whether it's worth doing or not.

I'd still call the game a 7/10, or 8/10, but i understand what it's doing, but it's no 10/10.

Edit: I'm also salty about shitty Nintendo fucking everyone out of an extra $10 on release. To pretend like a game that doesn't run well, barely has a story or voice acting, and doesn't really push the industry forward much, I can't believe they treated their customers like that. You wait THAT long for a game that reuses SO MUCH.
Tbf its big technical leap in which it has the best physics in any game since half life 2 in a machine that has less horse power then the latest phones

Fbh

I thought the main quest was much better, and I still think the building and physics are awesome.
But it also suffer from most of the core issues that annoyed me about the original: Most side content aside from the shrines is just bland and unrewarding. There are no levels or skills to unlock (outside the main quest), the weapons durability system ensures finding new weapons is never exciting, and the equipment mechanic is annoying and will make you ignore most new armors you get.
All of that might still be fine if the side content at least had like interesting stories or mechanics, or it took you to cool locations and had you fight cool new enemies or something. But it doesn't.

Around 20 hours in I figured out most of the side stuff is pretty worthless so I just decided to mainline the story. Had a great time with it but also had little reason to stick around once I beat the main quest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom