• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Forgive me, I was wrong about TOTK and I have finally succumbed to the magic.

Markio128

When I first played TOTK on release, I wasn’t as struck with it as I was with BOTW, and I dropped the game after around 10 hours. In hindsight, I’ve put this down to the familiarity with BOTW. In fact, I was playing the game like it was BOTW, rather than treating it like its own game.

I’ve just treated myself to a Switch OLED in the sale, and have been playing TOTK for the last few days, taking my time with each new area, and soaking in the brilliance of it all.

In my 20 or so hours playing TOTK, I’ve had multiple moments that have made me think ‘that was awesome’, and have highlighted some of the differences between TOTK and BOTW. Some of the shrines are genius level design with the new mechanics. Some of the sky towers have a cool little mission you need to complete before you can access them - I’ve recently opened one involving an engineer stuck down a well. I recently spoke to a woman in fancy threads, who was just wandering down a road in the middle of nowhere, who has opened up a mission to find some cool gear. In fact, I’ve just found some armour that is lightning proof, after completing what could be deemed as a mini dungeon within a cave complex. I’ve found a mine in the underground area (and a new ability to remake anything I’ve already created) and been set upon by some dude from the original game.

I’m still fairly early into the game - I’ve probably completed around 16 shrines (I’ve upgraded 4 times), I’ve only completed one main area and boss starting in Rito village and ending up on some wind-powered ship in the sky - this whole section alone probably took me around 3 hours to complete - maybe more. It’s pretty epic.

I’m just glad I gave it another go, because like I said in the title, I’ve been smitten by the magic of a Zelda game again, and I couldn’t be happier that I’ve got so much more to explore. I’ve managed to find two fairy’s, but they aren’t coming out of their bulbs until I find a musical troupe - another side quest that instils a sense of mystery.

I wonder if there are others like me, who maybe didn’t play the game at the right time, or didn’t treat it like its own game?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Proud The Karate Kid GIF

Hudo

TotK is certainly one of my favorite games released this year. I am still in awe of the robustness of the physics system. No matter what I tried with it, it didn't glitch out.

Tangerine

I put 100 hours plus and fell off a few months ago. To be fair that coincided with coming off morphine to prove to my GP my chronic headache wasn't the damn cause of morphine. Surprise it wasn't, it was helping it. So yeah I've been in more pain but now I'm back on it I 100%ed Mario wonder.

I'll go back to it. I just got the heat proof armour so I won't get burned exploring certain underground section. I remember that's where I'm at. Did 2 temples, Zora and rito. Yeah I'll go back to it. I just started cyberpunk though for first time. Figure it's best time with the dlc which I also got.

Last edited:

Markio128

I’ll also say that it’s everything I love about Elden Ring, but without the overly harsh difficulty (though it can still be a difficult game) and grind. The freedom within the game world is tremendous.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don't think I have ever had such an enjoyable, happy time in a game, than the 170 plus hours I spent in Tears Of The Kingdom, on the Switch OLED I bought just for it.

If a game's success is defined by how good it makes the gamer feel while playing, then ToTK is GOTY by a country mile.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I wonder if there are others like me, who maybe didn’t play the game at the right time, or didn’t treat it like its own game?
Yep, I just had this same exact conversation with my cousin over Thanksgiving dinner. She said she stopped playing after 10 hrs or so. I convinced her to at least play up until one full Dungeon/Temple as the game has some really cool moments (Wind Temple Boss was Epic) and interesting changes to previous areas. I also mentioned that it does have some really cool building mechanics for traversal and just dicking around.

I managed to convince her to jump back in and she agreed to give it another go. 👍

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Did the same. Played 5 hours and didn't get into it. I'll start it over this winter. Don't know why it didn't have any stickiness with me. I went into the underworld and it looked really blank to me. I think that's when I stopped playing

Markio128

Did the same. Played 5 hours and didn't get into it. I'll start it over this winter. Don't know why it didn't have any stickiness with me. I went into the underworld and it looked really blank to me. I think that's when I stopped playing
If you go in to the underworld without a purpose, then it can seem a bit pointless, but there are missions associated with it, that allow it to open up some. I had the exact same experience when I first tried the game.

Lunarorbit

If you go in to the underworld without a purpose, then it can seem a bit pointless, but there are missions associated with it, that allow it to open up some. I had the exact same experience when I first tried the game.
Yeah I had several games going on at the same time. I read a lot of good gear is down there.

Hero_Select

ToTK is amazing and fully deserving of the praise it gets. It's hilarious to me how many people get a hate boner for Zelda. Like chill out bros, it's okay that Zelda is better that whatever your fav. franchise is I promise.

I haven’t tried it yet. I don’t like open world games. Really enjoyed the first 0 hours or so of BITW and then running around the empty map felt very repetitive to me. Is TOTK the same?

OuterLimits

ToTK is amazing and fully deserving of the praise it gets. It's hilarious to me how many people get a hate boner for Zelda. Like chill out bros, it's okay that Zelda is better that whatever your fav. franchise is I promise.

I fully admit I wasn't a fan of Zelda until BoTW. Such an amazing game. I should probably give some of the older titles another shot. I would likely enjoy them more now.

Kurotri

Took me multiple tries to get into BotW and once it clicked, I couldn't let go. Awesome game. I started TotK not too long after and at first I was enthralled by it but I dropped it after a while because it seemed so tedious to me. I did not like the whole building aspect that is so entrenched in its design and I'm not a fan of the whole zoanite/cell farming stuff for your batteries. The killing blow to me were the Depths. I did not enjoy a single second in there. Landmass as large as Hyrule (obviously, cuz it's the bottom of it duh) but 0 variety. It's just complete darkness and bokoblins with cancer.

I will at some point return to it and try again. Maybe I played it wrong, maybe it was too soon after BotW. Maybe I need a few more tries like with BotW. But it felt like a 2 steps forward 2 steps backwards kinda deal to me. I just don't like building mechanics in games, nor am I super creative. But I will try again.

The building mechanics are cool but the rest of the game is just more of the same as BOTW, I ended up hopping off for pikmin 4 and haven't had any desire to go back. Maybe if this year didn't have so many freakin games!

Top Bottom