• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate it when the end credits nullify your final battle - Zelda BotW, TotK

Chittagong

Gold Member
I just finished TotK after 145 hours, 119 lightroots, 135 shrines, several maxed out sets.

I was hoping so much for a save that acknowledges the long final battle, so that I would be motivated to continue to explore the world and find more things.

But just like BotW, you just get the pre boss save with a sad little star as the only acknowledgment of your achievement. If I continued to explore it’s like none of that mattered.

I appreciate that it would be a lot of work to adjust the whole world into an end game mode. I wouldn’t need even that, just saying that Ganon is now memory-Ganon you can experience again through the magic of time and making everything blue instead red would go a long way in making the post credits feel meaningful.

Otherwise, great game, one of the best I have ever played.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Dont all of the Zelda games do that? I dont recall playing one that “continues” after beating the final boss.
In linear Zelda games that kinda made sense, because it was pretty likely that you had done everything interesting in order to get to the final boss. But with open ended games like BotW and TotK there is so much you can continue to do. Exploring the sky shrines. Helping the army. Finding wells. Patching up president signs. Completing side quests. Filling the compendum. The minimum would need to do is to add new line of dialogue to NPCs that are relevant to the main quest, and to change the appearance of the final battle.

ReBurn

Gold Member
thatll do james cromwell GIF

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I just finished mass effect 2, the game tells you that you can transfer to ME3 or keep playing.

No idea why the last couple of Zelda games haven't had something similar.

LakeOf9

Narratively, they can't get away with letting you explore the world with the final boss gone, because the respawn mechanics for loot and enemies in the world (blood moons) are tied to the existence and presence of the final boss in both games. Once the boss is gone, all the enemies and loot disappear too.

Not that I wouldn't have wanted to explore a post-final boss world in both games too, but I guess at least the reasoning makes sense

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Narratively, they can't get away with letting you explore the world with the final boss gone, because the respawn mechanics for loot and enemies in the world (blood moons) are tied to the existence and presence of the final boss in both games. Once the boss is gone, all the enemies and loot disappear too.

Not that I wouldn't have wanted to explore a post-final boss world in both games too, but I guess at least the reasoning makes sense

Spot on. You can't play after Ganon is gone, because Ganon being gone removes the entire gameplay loop.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This doesn’t bother me. Especially with this game because I loved the final battle. I can just go right to it if I want.

Rockondevil

It honestly stops me wanting to continue playing the game.
I get that Zelda games have not done this in the past but they were linear in the past instead of the now open world.

I'd much rather the game continue on in a world where you had beaten the boss.

Top Bottom