• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Wind Waker. Holy shit. Holy. Shit.

LakeOf9

I started playing Zelda with Breath of the Wild, which became one of my favorite games ever. I then played Tears of the Kingdom, and six years of skepticism about it and just my general dislike for Nintendo could not stop it from somehow topping even BOTW for me.

I was such a huge fan of these Zelda games. I had never played Nintendo before the Switch, I had heard of the other Zelda games, but BOTW was where I started, and with TOTK solidifying my love for the series, I asked GAF if I should try to play the older games. GAF recommended I needed to try four games: A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, and A Link Between Worlds.

I loved A Link to the Past when I played it. While I think I like the new open world Zelda games more, I think Link to the Past is probably a much better game overall (the design and pacing is incredible, and it is a 30 year old game that feels better than almost all modern games I have played). When I got to Ocarina of Time, I did not like it as much, since the early 3D jank got in the way a lot, and while its core story and design is amazing, the shortcomings with being a pioneer of 3D games got in the way.

The next game was Wind Waker.

I knew nothing about Wind Waker before playing the game except two things, I knew that when it came out it was super controversial because it looks like a cartoon and that after a while, everyone decided its one of the best games ever made for a lot of reasons, from story, graphics, music, gameplay, and the early open world. I didnt know what to expect, since by the time I was done with OOT, I was running out of steam a little for Zelda.

And then, I played Wind Waker. And holy shit. Holy shit.

I just finished it about an hour ago and I am still in shock. What an amazing, amazing game.

To be honest, I loved it from the minute I started it. I love how it instantly makes it clear thatt it is following up on ocarina of time, not only does that give it an amazing sense of history, but it also adds so much weight to that story, and to this one, to understand how your actions as the player directly impacted this world. But seriously, even once I got control of the game - I fell in,ove. The graphics - so amazing. So amazing. So timeless (disclosure, I played the Wii U version on emulation with some upres and control/HUD mods but nothing else). The music - I can't even, I have no words, there has never once in my life been a game that enclosed me in its world with nothing but its music before wind waker. and the gameplay!

you know, I feel lied to. I was told BOTW and TOTK are a reinvention of Zelda, but Wind Waker makes it clear they're not a reinvention, they are just following through on something Wind Waker already tried 20 years ago. We have a full open world, we have physics based systems here (though of course both the open world and the physics systems are a lot more limited), we even have concepts like gliding and weapon durability and filling up your map. We even get the companion abilities from TOTK in this game!

And the open world exploration, oh my god. I said it before, my love for Zelda is because of that sense of adventure that you are going on to save the world, and nothing, nothing, in the 35 years I have played games, has matched the sense of adventure in this game. When I set off on my red boat on the great sea, and the music kicked in, I actually put down the controller for a second, because I could not believe I was playing something like this. and this game is 20 years old! how is that even possible!

I loved the dungeons too. I think in terms of design they feel simpler than ocarina and link to the past, but they feel much better than BOTW and TOTK, and I think this is actually what those games' dungeons were trying to be (but wind waker does it much better).

And then there is the twist.

okay, so I always love "that" twist in these old zelda games. link to the past caught me off guard with the dark world twist. ocarina of time manages to pull the same trick a second time with the time travel twist. I honestly honestly thought I was going to be ready for it a third time. but I wasn't because I had no idea how much balls the game would have with its storytelling.

because the moment you descend into the sea to find the Hyrule from ocarina of time frozen in time and submerged under water forever - I got chills. holy shit I got chills. what an amazing moment. people say nintendo doesnt do good stories? bullshit. I have never played a game that hit harder than this moment. and then! and then! the game keeps going from then! and that finale! oh my god! the finale is probably the best thing ever. you have ganondorf, finally an actual character, with actual motivations that make sense, you actually feel bad for him, you wish you could work things out. and you have another twist when the last king of Hyrule wishes on the triforce to wash away Hyrule, the master sword, ganondorf, and the triforce itself! what are hell! this feels like an ending to the entire zelda series, but the game is still not done. you end up in the most epic final boss fight of all time, a one on one duel with a deranged ganondorf, while the waves crash in around you to sink Hyrule forever. and the music, oh my god.

I can't, honestly, I have no words. I finished and beat the wind waker, and saw the ending, and I think I might have played my favourite game ever. through the last few months that I have been looking more deeply into zelda, I have been told that breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom are an all new style of game that is completely different t from the old style by necessity, that that old style and the new style can't go together, but thats bullshit. they can, they did. it was called the wind waker, and I think it is the best game ever made.

my understanding is this game flopped because gamers are fucking idiots who looked at the (by the way amazing) graphics and decided this game was not worth their time. because of this, it looks like nintendo walked back most of the cool things the Wind waker did for almost 15 years and instead just gave gamers more ocarina of time.

which is fucking bullshit, because wind waker was breath of the wild 15 years before breath of the wild.

this is an amazing game, and I cannot believe it exists. I have said for a while, I finally understand why zelda gets the hype it does after playing more of the series, but honestly, wind waker makes me think it doesnt get enough hype, as crazy as that sounds. this is a series that has blown my mind 4/5 times straight now. I just cannot believe it.

amazing game. next up is a link between worlds but I think I need a few days to recover first lol.

Quantum253

The Wind Waker was pure gold. Such and amazing experience. And if you liked Wind Waker, OP, if you could get a hold of a DS (or Similar/emulator) The Phantom Hourglass was pretty good too

It's a charming little open-world kinda Zelda. Breath of the Wild and ToTK are better gameplay wise.
Just the traveling with the boat is boring, the only but very important flaw.

I love the charm in it , such a beautiful game , the sense of discovery was soo great , but my problem with it was that ,you knew exactly what you were going to find ,when you found a new island ,yeah rupees, ouu red, ouu green! That's my only problem with it , that's exactly why I loved BOTW the unknown and discovery

Last edited:

IAmRei

congrats, i agree with with wind waker, at first i'm shocked, but in a good way. i welcomed the style back then, because the artstyle screamed an adventure for those with kid heart at that time for me. the feels of addventure as kid captures me so well back then.

if you can, try minish cap maybe? that's my fave 2d zelda. the looks looking alike wind waker as well.

Sleepwalker

Wind Waker is one of my favorite games of all time. Some of my happiest gaming memories were made sailing the seas, exploring islands, finding secret treasure and people in need of help. Taking photos, playing the cannon mini game, you name it.

I havent found that sense of wonder since, and I'm afraid I probably never will. I had beaten ocarina of time before, bur this is the game that truly made me "get" zelda and what kind of emotions is meant to make you feel.

I dont really love the franchise as much as others and for me, it has as many lows as it does highs, but WW is the highest high.

Oh and the soundtrack is so fucking good.

I honestly haven't replayed it since my teens but still remember most of it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Glad you enjoyed it this much.
It was the contrary for me. I had played every mainline Zelda before. TWW was a huge disappointment. Very beautiful, yes, and it has by far the best direction in any Zelda game. Gameplay-wise though, it’s Nintendo trying their hand at the conventions of a new generation, and it shows. It’s incredibly easy. The “open world” is a big bag of nothing the way it’s been constructed. A huge part of the ocean map cannot be fully explored until very late game, and it’s tremendously time-consuming to visit and map it all - which wouldn’t be that bad if there were more teleports, but as it is, it’s a chore. Very formulaic too - enter new quadrant, find map fish, feed it bait, rinse, repeat. This love for repetition has been in Zelda ever since. Compare to the N64 duology, where this never, ever happens.

Then there’s the ridiculous redundancy of the dungeons, especially those where you have a companion. Virtually every room is about playing a melody again and again to control your partner. Every new room requires opening the menu to switch to another tool, and you were very lucky to play the WiiU version because on the GC, it was terrible. I could never go back to the GC version when the WiiU version exists because of this and a dozen other things in the game that drove me up the wall every time I tried to replay it on GC.

The sense of adventure still manages to shine through, even if the basic gameplay of TWW does everything to get in the way and ruin the fun. But this is Zelda in a nutshell. Even Skyward Sword, that much-maligned game that’s not even remotely as bad as many people would make you believe, makes you do stuff that 99% of the market doesn’t even try to imagine putting in a video game. Complaints about Zelda are always about gimmicks and little stuff that could have been managed better, but in the end, the adventure is always worth it. Well, except for TWW in its original version. I never managed to finish it twice on GC, it’s just too tedious.

Famipan

Yes I have very fond memories of it as the best Zelda game I have played (GC ver on Wii with component cable).
I have just touched BOTW on emulator but was not impressed, but I have sort of got fed up with Zelda after playing OoT, WW, AlttP, TP (huge dissappointment), and finally the best - Wind Waker.

(5 games is all I need, then I get fed up with a series.)

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Glad you liked it!

It was my favorite Zelda before playing BOTW, and yes, I have the same opinion than you but happened the opposite: I started BOTW almost 3 years ago waiting a complete 180 deg of what made Zelda feel Zelda, and ended up thinking while wandering the Great Plateau "Come on, this is absolutely Zelda, this looks, sounds and feels like Zelda!"

Probably those comments come from people that saw Zelda as a "dungeon raider" type of game instead of an adventure game as a whole, which can be understood.

BTW, I've never played a bad Zelda game, even Skyward Sword was enjoyable to me whenever I wasn't fighting with the sword.

I would suggest you pause your Zelda journey here and restart later with another 2D classic like Minish Cap or Link's Awakening.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Wind waker is originally a 90s game released in 2002 and in 2023 still feels fresh, a “must play” game.

source.gif

Doom85

My favorite Zelda game. I’m not even that huge a fan of a franchise as a whole, but WW did definitely click for me.

93xfan

Banned
Great thread, OP!

Btw, just realized the fire emoji here is possibly the fire spirit from the original Zelda. Is that the case or am I going crazy, or both?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Glad you liked it, OP. I personally cannot stand the GC games. While I appreciate what they attempted to do, they commit the cardinal sin of being so god damn poorly paced and bloated with pointless filler. Twilight Princess' opening sequences is like 2 hours long and boring as shit. The wolf sequences are a novelty but quickly wear out and become annoying.

Wind Waker suffers very much from similar problems. A drawn-out and tedious opening sequences and too much garbage mundane shit between dungeons. I could never make it past the Tower of the Gods and don't even get me started about the fucking sailing.

Mistake

Wind waker is high up for me in terms of zeldas, but I much prefer the darker tones in Majora or Twilight. A big reason why I can't get into BotW is because I don't feel a lot of progress happening other than equipment upgrades. Too much like a sandbox game. Usually in zeldas you get a new item and have to use it to backtrack in the open world and get more stuff, or find secret areas. The accomplishment is consistent and doesn't feel like work.

love wind waker!...

unfortunately, my attempt to replay it on game cube recently was a failure due to the fact that, after all this time, i was unable to adjust to the inverted controls. played it for several hours, but eventually just had to quit - the ol' brain ain't nearly as versatile as it once was - damn that muscle memory!...

Nydius

Yep, Wind Waker is a game I openly admit to having rose tinted bias goggles for. I’m kicking myself for not picking up WW HD on the Wii U back in the day. Sure it can be emulated but damn, if they dropped it on a Switch cart it would be an instant purchase.

I didn't get into it as much as so many other people did. I gave up after a couple hours of playing because I just could not get to that third shrine and it was aggravating me to figure it out.

I'm kind of old and maybe that's the problem.

I actually like and support the fact that the game is so vague but it can be a bit too vague. Where's the fish in the pond I'm supposed to find to help me make a coat so I can survive the cold mountains to get to that fourth shrine?

What I should do is load up the scheme in a few days and give it another try. I really, really want to like this game but right now I just feel I can't figure out anything.

And don't worry, I'm not bitching about a game everybody loves and I will readily admit it's most likely me who's at fault here.

Doom85

I didn't get into it as much as so many other people did. I gave up after a couple hours of playing because I just could not get to that third shrine and it was aggravating me to figure it out.

I actually like and support the fact that the game is so vague but it can be a bit too vague. Where's the fish in the pond I'm supposed to find to help me make a coat so I can survive the cold mountains to get to that fourth shrine?

What I should do is load up the scheme in a few days and give it another try. I really, really want to like this game but right now I just feel I can't figure out anything.

And don't worry, I'm not bitching about a game everybody loves and I will readily admit it's most likely me who's at fault here.

I think you’re talking about a different Zelda than Wind Waker…

wind waker is def one of the best zelda games ever made. much better than twilight shitty princess. come at me gaf. WIND WAKER is better than TWILIGHT PRINCESS.

IN EVERY...SINGLE...WAY.

Wind Waker is overall better for sure, but in every single way?

I mean, I prefer a snarky little lady imp who shit talks the hero versus an old man boat, but hey, that’s just me.

BlackTron

I finally understand why zelda gets the hype it does after playing more of the series, but honestly, wind waker makes me think it doesnt get enough hype, as crazy as that sounds.
I like how your post ended up there after beginning with "general dislike of Nintendo" lol

BlackTron

You actually mixed up another Zelda game in there, the fish is for the opening puzzle in Twilight Princess not BOTW. I mean seriously, who makes a coat from a fish anyway? lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I started playing Zelda with Breath of the Wild, which became one of my favorite games ever. I then played Tears of the Kingdom, and six years of skepticism about it and just my general dislike for Nintendo could not stop it from somehow topping even BOTW for me.

I was such a huge fan of these Zelda games. I had never played Nintendo before the Switch, I had heard of the other Zelda games, but BOTW was where I started, and with TOTK solidifying my love for the series, I asked GAF if I should try to play the older games. GAF recommended I needed to try four games: A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, and A Link Between Worlds.

I loved A Link to the Past when I played it. While I think I like the new open world Zelda games more, I think Link to the Past is probably a much better game overall (the design and pacing is incredible, and it is a 30 year old game that feels better than almost all modern games I have played). When I got to Ocarina of Time, I did not like it as much, since the early 3D jank got in the way a lot, and while its core story and design is amazing, the shortcomings with being a pioneer of 3D games got in the way.

The next game was Wind Waker.

I knew nothing about Wind Waker before playing the game except two things, I knew that when it came out it was super controversial because it looks like a cartoon and that after a while, everyone decided its one of the best games ever made for a lot of reasons, from story, graphics, music, gameplay, and the early open world. I didnt know what to expect, since by the time I was done with OOT, I was running out of steam a little for Zelda.

And then, I played Wind Waker. And holy shit. Holy shit.

I just finished it about an hour ago and I am still in shock. What an amazing, amazing game.

To be honest, I loved it from the minute I started it. I love how it instantly makes it clear thatt it is following up on ocarina of time, not only does that give it an amazing sense of history, but it also adds so much weight to that story, and to this one, to understand how your actions as the player directly impacted this world. But seriously, even once I got control of the game - I fell in,ove. The graphics - so amazing. So amazing. So timeless (disclosure, I played the Wii U version on emulation with some upres and control/HUD mods but nothing else). The music - I can't even, I have no words, there has never once in my life been a game that enclosed me in its world with nothing but its music before wind waker. and the gameplay!

you know, I feel lied to. I was told BOTW and TOTK are a reinvention of Zelda, but Wind Waker makes it clear they're not a reinvention, they are just following through on something Wind Waker already tried 20 years ago. We have a full open world, we have physics based systems here (though of course both the open world and the physics systems are a lot more limited), we even have concepts like gliding and weapon durability and filling up your map. We even get the companion abilities from TOTK in this game!

And the open world exploration, oh my god. I said it before, my love for Zelda is because of that sense of adventure that you are going on to save the world, and nothing, nothing, in the 35 years I have played games, has matched the sense of adventure in this game. When I set off on my red boat on the great sea, and the music kicked in, I actually put down the controller for a second, because I could not believe I was playing something like this. and this game is 20 years old! how is that even possible!

I loved the dungeons too. I think in terms of design they feel simpler than ocarina and link to the past, but they feel much better than BOTW and TOTK, and I think this is actually what those games' dungeons were trying to be (but wind waker does it much better).

And then there is the twist.

okay, so I always love "that" twist in these old zelda games. link to the past caught me off guard with the dark world twist. ocarina of time manages to pull the same trick a second time with the time travel twist. I honestly honestly thought I was going to be ready for it a third time. but I wasn't because I had no idea how much balls the game would have with its storytelling.

because the moment you descend into the sea to find the Hyrule from ocarina of time frozen in time and submerged under water forever - I got chills. holy shit I got chills. what an amazing moment. people say nintendo doesnt do good stories? bullshit. I have never played a game that hit harder than this moment. and then! and then! the game keeps going from then! and that finale! oh my god! the finale is probably the best thing ever. you have ganondorf, finally an actual character, with actual motivations that make sense, you actually feel bad for him, you wish you could work things out. and you have another twist when the last king of Hyrule wishes on the triforce to wash away Hyrule, the master sword, ganondorf, and the triforce itself! what are hell! this feels like an ending to the entire zelda series, but the game is still not done. you end up in the most epic final boss fight of all time, a one on one duel with a deranged ganondorf, while the waves crash in around you to sink Hyrule forever. and the music, oh my god.

I can't, honestly, I have no words. I finished and beat the wind waker, and saw the ending, and I think I might have played my favourite game ever. through the last few months that I have been looking more deeply into zelda, I have been told that breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom are an all new style of game that is completely different t from the old style by necessity, that that old style and the new style can't go together, but thats bullshit. they can, they did. it was called the wind waker, and I think it is the best game ever made.

my understanding is this game flopped because gamers are fucking idiots who looked at the (by the way amazing) graphics and decided this game was not worth their time. because of this, it looks like nintendo walked back most of the cool things the Wind waker did for almost 15 years and instead just gave gamers more ocarina of time.

which is fucking bullshit, because wind waker was breath of the wild 15 years before breath of the wild.

this is an amazing game, and I cannot believe it exists. I have said for a while, I finally understand why zelda gets the hype it does after playing more of the series, but honestly, wind waker makes me think it doesnt get enough hype, as crazy as that sounds. this is a series that has blown my mind 4/5 times straight now. I just cannot believe it.

amazing game. next up is a link between worlds but I think I need a few days to recover first lol.
Wind Waker was one of those games that took me, me and my criticism of the art style before I played, and spanked me silly once I got to experience it on GCN… then again when I thought the HD remaster pushed bloom and other effects too hard (“Pana Pana, you just do not know when to quit eh?” said my Wind Waker: HD game inside my trusty Wii U, need to turn on that puppy again ;))… still think some of the visuals changed a bit too much with the HD remaster but it is truly beautiful to play. I would recommend it.

Music is so so soo good in this game. If the intro does not capture your heart, this should:

Last edited:

Doom85

Wind Waker was one of those games that took me, me and my criticism of the art style before I played, and spanked me silly once I got to experience it on GCN… then again when I thought the HD remaster pushed bloom and other effects too hard (“Pana Pana, you just do not know when to quit eh?” said my Wind Waker: HD game inside my trusty Wii U, need to turn on that puppy again ;))… still think some of the visuals changed a bit too much with the HD remaster but it is truly beautiful to play. I would recommend it.

Music is so so soo good in this game. If the intro does not capture your heart, this should:

My friends and I got to go to the Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses when it toured to our local city. They had been going through all the games’ various songs, but then at one point the conductor paused, put down the baton, and then she reaches into her waist coat and pulls out the Wind Waker and proceeds to conduct the WW section with it. Crowd went absolutely nuts.

I even got to purchase my own Wind Waker at their gift store.

Last edited:

BlackTron

you trade the fish dish to the Old Man for him to give you the jacket

Wow I never even did it like that.

I solved the puzzle a different way and bought the coat later. I even read the diary with the hint and just forgot/never came back. Without giving any solutions away the takeaway is that there are multiple solutions 🤔

Last edited:
Top Bottom