• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda TOTK is almost here, how do you think it will do in reviews?

What will Tears of the Kingdom score on Meteoritic/Opencritic

• Above 95

Votes: 86 43.0%
  • 90-95

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • 85-90

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • 80-85

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 75-80

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 70-75

• Below 70

• Total voters

LakeOf9

People expect Tears of the Kingdom to be the biggest game of the year (they're wrong because it will be FF16, but I'm not here to argue that).

With this biggest game of the year almost here, how do you expect it to score in reviews?

Past mainline Zelda game scores:

link to the past: 95
ocarina of time: 99
majora's mask: 96
wind waker: 96
twilight princess: 95
skyward sword: 93 (doesnt everyone hate this one lol, how did it score a 93)
breath of the wild: 97

LakeOf9

i just want someone to explain to me how skyward sword is a 93 lol. the way people talk about it I thought it was like a mass effect andromeda level disaster

Pejo

It's Zelda, the hype will be through the roof like usual. I picked 90-95 for the smattering of "journalists" that will give it lower than average scores for clicks and drama.

It will probably deserve about 80-85 due to technical issues and asset reuse from BotW, along with Switch hardware dragging down the experience.

LakeOf9

It's Zelda, the hype will be through the roof like usual. I picked 90-95 for the smattering of "journalists" that will give it lower than average scores for clicks and drama.

It will probably deserve about 80-85 due to technical issues and asset reuse from BotW, along with Switch hardware dragging down the experience.
honestly I have no issues with asset reuse in sequels, in fact I miss it. especially if it makes game development quicker! modern games take so long to make :(

Pejo

honestly I have no issues with asset reuse in sequels, in fact I miss it. especially if it makes game development quicker! modern games take so long to make :(
I agree with Asset reuse not being an issue, FROMsoft does it a lot too. BUT. BotW came out in 2017 so it's not like those assets and textures really saved them much time. I guess blame covid if you want, but it still took too long for what it is, IMO.

LakeOf9

I agree with Asset reuse not being an issue, FROMsoft does it a lot too. BUT. BotW came out in 2017 so it's not like those assets and textures really saved them much time. I guess blame covid if you want, but it still took too long for what it is, IMO.
oh ya for sure. but if the asset reuse means the game has more and varied content (I love botw but it kind of feels like a tech demo at times) I will be fine with that lol

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
10... 10... 10

New York times... Greatest game ever... And I dont have any clue of videogames.

Washington post... I cant even handle a real honest news of real life.... But this game is a 10.

Meristation Spain, oye tío no se un carajos de videojuegos pero este es la ostia!!! 10 10 10.

Bloomberg dont have any news but Zelda is a 10!!!

In the end, gamers will say the truth with the game...

Holammer

If I wrote a review for a notable publication, I'd do a Jimqusition and give it 85%. Call it a servicable sequel that leaves a lot to be desired as it refuses to deal with social issue du jour.

Then lean back and watch the internet fk'n explode.

bobone

Same as every other Zelda game.
It will get a ton of 9's and 10's at launch and then a few years later people will come to their senses and talk about the game in an intelligent and critical manner.

In actuality it is probably an 8.5 considering the re-used assets and the fact that they seem to be leaning really hard on a weapon fusion gimmick.
Which makes me assume that this game will once again not have dungeons, bosses, or general epicness of the old games.

Robb

Gold Member
but isn't skyward sword a bad game? I thought it was like god of war ascension
It’s not my favorite Zelda but I definitely wouldn’t call it a bad game. It has some of the best dungeons in the entire franchise and the usual polish that big Nintendo games have.

Some repeat bosses, the companion character being annoying and the game dragging on for a bit towards the end would be my main complaints.

MarkMe2525

That ACG review was brutal. What a disappointment. Many saw it coming, I was holding out hope. It's on GamePass so I'll give it a once over.

Edit: wrong thread... But I'll just let it ride...

Edit edit: I noticed it was the wrong thread when I saw the comment above me say "I'm gonna guess 95+". I immediately knew something was amiss.

Last edited:

Tg89

Looking at the leaks, 95+.

Seems to be a huge improvement and expansion over what is already a masterpiece.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It’s a great Zelda game (and the first chronologically) just hurt by stupid controls in its original version. The remaster is the way to play it.
I think the motion whatever 'plus' add on for Wii was Nintendo basically saying to fans to buy a Wii U. Still have the Anniversary edition Wii and just recently bought my wife the Switch port. It actually is pretty decent.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lack of temples and memorable side quests was an issue in BOTW and still scored high
w5lc4Hh.png

Tears of the kingdom is a more defined version of BOTW.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That applies to many things in life. But we no it won't dip below 96.
It just I personally trust my own taste far more than other reviewers. Games like Nier Gestalt got “poor” score but that didn’t stop the game becoming one of favourite game in 2010.

Games like Diablo 4 can get 10s across aboard but I still wouldn’t buy it because it’s not type of game I would enjoy. If you played games long enough you rarely need review score to tell what game you would end up enjoying.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm not getting BotW vibes, so I think it will probably be a little lower this time. I'm basing this almost entirely on sixth sense though.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It just I personally trust my own taste far more other reviewers. Games like Nier Gestalt got “poor” score but that didn’t stop the game becoming one of favourite game in 2010.

Games like Diablo 4 can get 10s across aboard but I still wouldn’t buy it because it’s not type of game I would enjoy. If you played games long enough you rarely need review score to tell what game you would end up enjoying.
Well, having good taste and a hook. Likewise, a review won't change whether or not I buy. I've also purchased plenty of games that were rated a 7 or an 8 that I quit only a few minutes into.

For the context of OP, going from 0 - 100...I don't think a LoZ game will ever go below 90.

It will be the highest scoring game of the year, win all the game of the year awards, and make a lot of people mad cause graphics and frames. Nevermind being fun, doing open world right, or amazing art style

Last edited:

Chiggs

Voted 85-90 because I'm stilling of the mindset this is an expansion pack for Breath of the Wild.

More than happy to be proven wrong, though.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
90-95. I don't think it'll be as monumental as breath of the wild.

Likely a blast from start to finish.

SeraphJan

Critics will not rate a mainline Zelda game below 90, that's just the tradition. You could call it group thinking (Game critic is actually a very small circle and most of them knows each other), you could call it don't want to upset the fans (a fanbase with more than 35 years length, for example Sterling's site got DDoSed just because of 1 point, all he did was trying to address some of the negative side of the game) , whatever reason you call it will never go below 90. In this context its really difficult to tell the quality of Zelda games based on numeric score. The only way to assess the quality of a Zelda game is to play it yourself.

People that thinks the Metacritic Score will go to the 80s need some reality check, the poll should be something like this: 99,98,97,96,95,94,93,92,91

"They never go below the 90s, could it possibly be they all really are that good?" This is called "begging the question" or "circular reasoning". However the truth could never be proven either way, that's just the nature of art criticism, but letting a such small group of people dictate the quality of an art work is not a good thing for diversity for its media (and people complain why most triple A game are using similar formula and copying each other), at least in Movie industry, IMDB and Rotten Tomato are both valid score system instead of just solely relies on critics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom