• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You Were 100% Wrong About

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ever play a game initially and just think it’s caca doo doo ? Like 3/10 who made this crap bad ? I’ve had this rarely happen that I play a game that I’m totally against, drop it, then on a total bored whim pick it back up because people claim it’s good.

Control I tried at launch and didn’t get the hype at all. Dropped it probably around when I got security level 4 access or something. Tried it again on PC release and maybe got just as far.

I’m hyped for Alan wake 2, saw I have the ultimate edition included on ps5 premium plus ultra or whatever and downloaded it to see if maybe the Alan wake dlc is immediately accessible.

I’m 2 days in and approaching the end of the game and on the Alan wake dlc. This game is master class gaming and I’m bewildered why it didn’t immediately hook me like this third attempt. I can’t get enough. Love the gameplay , story, the atmosphere, mystery , levels, the trip of it all. In so many ways it’s a good version of deadly premonition or a twin peaks like game. This resonates so much with me and I can’t wait to see how this game pans out! Makes me even more hyped for Alan wake 2.

I think the connected universe aspect is one of the most appealing things about this for me.

Anyone else have a similar experience with a game? I’ve had this happen with dark souls 2 as well.

I saw the reveal trailer and several showings for Lies of P and had no desire to play as a humanoid beating the nuts and bolts out of animatronics. The title itself sounded like the dumbest reimagining of a classic fairy tale. Tried the demo and I could not put it down. Played the hell out of it and loved every moment and that momentum carried on to the main game.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Resident Evil VII.
The first half is one of the best games in the series.
Then you hit the ship and it turns into one of the worst games in the series.

Everyone kept hailing it as the "return to form" for the series. Miss me with that shit. Revelations was the true rebirth of the franchise and it's a much better game.
It's also why I haven't played (and probably won't play) Village.

Mortisfacio

Uncharted 4. I think even after finishing it, the game still overall sucks the first 50% of the game, but damn is that last half really good.

LakeOf9

Ghost of Tsushima. Thought it would be a bland open world collectathon. Ended up being one of my favorite bands ever.

In the other direction, FF16. Thought it would be one of my favorite games ever, ended up being a bland fetch questy collectathon and it’s not even open world

Gobjuduck

Banned
not meeting / exceeding expectation
- dark void, one of the worst games i was looking forward to. absolutely was glad for capcom to die after playing that god awful game.

- guardians of the galaxy, i thought the game would be absolute dog shit. turned out to be really solid.

- infamous, i thought the game was going to be amazing and bought a ps3 for it. really was not great, ended up returning it for little big planet (which i loved).

-tales of arise, i was excited and extremely bored once i played.

second playthrough changed my opinion

- prey 2017, i thought the game was mid after completing it. after playing it again twice its in my top 10, one of the best games ever made.

- halo reach, i played all the halo campaigns leading up to infinite. halo reach’s campaign was noticeably worse than to 1-3. might aswell add halo 5 too, i enjoyed it when it came out, i can never touch the campaign again now.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

I liked Anthem. Does that count?
Me Too Omg GIF by Bounce

FF16

It was not bad, it was an insult to life itself.

Belong Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

As for me

Valkyria Chronicles 4. I always got turned off by the Visual Style. There being white borders is what turned me off from ever playing one of the games. When I got this off of Steam and started to play it. I was wrong. I ended up spending a good 40 to 50 hours playing it. The mission objective variety is diverse and actually interesting. It's not only reach the destination or kill all enemies on the battlefield. Actually had some unique objectives. Made for a fun gameplay system. I haven't played any other game in the franchise but this game was fantastic. I really loved the cast and story too. Great WAIFUs

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
FF16.

Hyped myself up thinking it would be a great game, turned out to be pretty damn forgettable.

I hyped myself up. The intro was ridiculously good on the demo. Got to the second time skip , left the game for a few months, came back and finished it. Honestly enjoyed it a lot but then again I also liked FF13&15 too which people loathe.

I made a long thread about this game and why I found it good but with flaws. Blueprint is there for 17 to be a knock out.

Beechos

I felt this way about the recent doom game. I started playing it like a regular fps slow and steady and thought the game was trash. I eventually adjusted and played it the way its supposed to be played constant motion, switching of weapons and strategically using my skills and it became a 9/10 game for me.

I felt the same way. The 1st/intro act hit hard and I thought I was in for a goty ride. After that it was a snoozefest with one of the most boring worlds ever.

Amen. The demo part promised a story that was never delivered. Instead we got saturday morning cartoon levels of writing with lame main and side characters and shallow gameplay on top of it.

my #1? l.a. noire! first playthrough? sooo disappointed. second playthrough? i almost immediately realized that i was playing one of the most (inadvertently?) hilarious games ever made. non-stop, over-the-top naked gun style madness. the perfect, schizophrenic protagonist. the extraordinary, despicable supporting cast (special props to rusty, of course). the whacked-out psychologist. the seductive club singer. the indescribably looney interrogations. the spinning headlines. all of it just so fucking perfect! & all of it in this wonderful re-creation of maybe my favorite place to visit when i get my time machine: '40's/'50's l.a...

i admit it - when i'm wrong, i can be really wrong...

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Jesus fuck, how do you still exist here? I blocked your shit and accidentally “show ignored content”.
Littlest regret I’ve ever had in my life blocking your 🤡 show.
I know the answer to my own question tho…gold.

Never once seen a gold get banned in on Gaf.

We have banned many folks who have Gold, some as recently in the past few days. It does not prevent banning.

Fbh

In recent years:

- Death Stranding: Though it was going to be really boring, turned to be really boring....in a kinda enjoyable way?
- Guardians of the Galaxy: After the Avengers fiasco I had zero faith, almost looked like they recycled some Guardians of the Galaxy DLC for Avenger into a full game or something. Trailers weren't great either. But even though the combat was nothing to write home about I really enjoyed it due to a really fun story, better writing and characters than any MCU movie and some fun location variety.
-Chained Echoes: Played the demo years ago and it didn't click with me so I didn't expect much. Picked it up anyway based on the positive feedback and it's my second favourite game this gen (after Elden Ring)
-Ghost of Tsushima: Though it was going to be this incredible open world Samurai game, instead it's a very bland Ubisoft style game with a boring open world and terrible side content, though the combat is enjoyable and the art direction is nice.
-FFXVI: Really thought it was going to be one of the highlights of the gen, instead it was just ok.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Baldur’s Gate 3. Well, kind of.

I wasn’t wrong about that game per se, but I was wrong about my ability to care about a fantasy RPG story. I can’t even remember the last serious-toned RPG story that wasn’t either completely cliché or absolute cringe. But against my better judgment, I decided to fall prey to the hype of BG3 and give it a try.

Turns out I like stories with truly realized characters, consequences, and top-notch acting. Too bad BG3 is the exception and not the rule. That game, for all its jank, is really something incredible.

Damigos

Nier Automata - started game because i saw a good review and thought to give it a try. First few hours i wasnt impressed at all. Glad i didnt, one of the best games i ve ever played.

Gran Turismo 1 - i thought cars, but more difficult back in the day when i was 12. Glad i gave it a try cause i ve 100% every single one GT since then.

World of Warcraft - i hated the fact they didnt make warcraft 4. Wtf is this online only sh*t ? Glad i gave it a try, my sub is still active

FF7 - i used to laugh with the square hands the chars had and didnt want to play it after some friends were recommending it to me. So glad i did, the best rpg of all time

Demons Souls 2013 - the game didnt have a story, it had choppy frames, it had a grey/bland color palet. Wasnt impressive at all, but the first boss changed my mind and went on to finish it in 2 days

GTA V - i was mega hyped for the next big gta and i know ppl love it but i just couldnt. I never clicked, it still doesnt even after having spent around 20 hours with it. Dont let me get started with gta online

kiphalfton

Bloodborne
I dint get the hype for the souls games , but damn did I love my experience with it , I tried other souls games but I cant get into them.

That's how I feel. Granted I didn't beat bloodborne, but I imagine I got fairly far.

Tried DS Remake, and couldn't get very far as it's too slow for me and I didn't enjoy grinding it out.

Top Bottom