• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam Lake admits he had to resort to fan wikis to remember some details

Draugoth

Gold Member
alan-wake-2-cult.jpg

The story of “Alan Wake” is quite confusing and convoluted. In a podcast, Creative Director Sam Lake talked about how, among other things, he used the wikis updated by fans to remember individual story snippets.

Recently, the two directors of “Alan Wake 2”, Sam Lake and Kyle Rowley, were guests on the podcast “Friends Per Second” to talk about the recently released survival horror game. They were asked how they were able to balance the plot of the second part after all the time since the release of Alan Wake.

I would like to formally thank all the wonderful fans who keep the Alan Wake wikis up to date. I have to admit that I trust these people. I thought: We already mentioned this in the original Alan Wake, but I can’t for the life of me remember the details.

One of the interviewers then notes that using a fan wiki for one’s own work is very good would fit the meta-narrative elements of Alan Wake 2.

According to Kyle Rowley, Remedy didn’t just rely on the wikis. Instead, there are tons of internal documents and a narrative team with which the studio keeps track of all stories and related storylines.

Via VG247

Kurotri

Happens more often than not. Assassin's Creed devs admitted it, Bethesda admitted it for Elder Scrolls atleast.

Happens more often than not. Assassin's Creed devs admitted it, Bethesda admitted it for Elder Scrolls atleast.
Do even Bethesda have the whole plot of TES? It is close (or even bigger) than the whole Tolkien's universe at this point. I wonder if there Warcraft people who actually know the lore of it.

Kurotri

Do even Bethesda have the whole plot of TES? It is close (or even bigger) than the whole Tolkien's universe at this point. I wonder if there Warcraft people who actually know the lore of it.
Not sure, all I know is that they admitted it at some point, maybe I can find a link.
Hard to compare lore of Elder Scrolls to Alan Wake but I guess you got the point.
Um..yes? Don't know why you said this but ok.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I mentioned them because their devs admitted to using fan wikis same as Remedy did and then you said something about comparing the lore of ES to AW which wasn't the point at all so I got confused :lollipop_confused:

Anyway ChuckeRearmed ChuckeRearmed I found the interview over at the actual site at the very bottom: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/General:Todd_Howard_PAX_East_2019_Interview

Sorry, man. It’s perfectly reasonable that Bethesda must reference Wiki for Elder Scrolls, that franchise is massive with complicated lore that took decades to develop. Original creator is no longer at Bethesda. Etc. Etc. Alan Wake is like 10 hours long game written by the same guy who wrote the second one. That’s all I’m trying to say. It’s nothing aimed at you.

Kurotri

Sorry, man. It’s perfectly reasonable that Bethesda must reference Wiki for Elder Scrolls, that franchise is massive with complicated lore that took decades to develop. Original creator is no longer at Bethesda. Etc. Etc. Alan Wake is like 10 hours long game written by the same guy who wrote the second one. That’s all I’m trying to say. It’s nothing aimed at you.
Ah, now I see where you're coming from :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

SCB3

George RR Martin has mentioned that he used the Game of Thrones Wiki and lore masters on there to remember plot points for characters that he was writing about and mentioned about they're more invested in the characters than he is and so it gave him a better perspective on how to write them

AREYOUOKAY?

Certain companies should be doing that more often.

ByWatterson

Paul McCartney says this a lot about details of Beatles songs.

"You know, a lot of hardcore fans know these answers actually better than I do."

MiguelItUp

I think it's awesome to admit and even more so act on it. It shows how dedicated they are to ensuring that everything is as accurate and fitting as it can be. I can't blame Sam at all, it's been a long time since the last game.

wvnative

This is fine. Some franchises get so big it's impossible to keep track of.

I'd rather writers check fan wikis then fuck up.

Top Bottom