• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 | Review + Prediction Thread

What's the average score that Alan Wake 2 will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • 71 - 75

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 65 or Below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh god... Im toooo lazy to reply this.
cat-lazy.gif

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Completed it last night.

It is not without faults. The major takeaway is you need to play this on hard so the game gives you more combat. Even then the game is light on combat, and it has next to no enemy variety. To add to this every engagement with enemies is often the same because they don’t approach you in unique ways. Control has superior gameplay but even that suffered heavily from enemy variety. The combat feels weighty and good though.

It ends up being a minor thing in the grand scheme of what the overall package gives you. For me it’s a 10/10, and my favorite game of this year by a long mile. Favorite horror game since evil within 1, but to call this strictly a horror game is doing it injustice.

You’ll do and see things no other game has done, particularly in one chapter.

The further you go into the game the less it becomes a “oooh look Control tie ins and Easter eggs” to more of a mandatory to comprehend. The last like 2 chapters go full on heavy with Control being required IMO.

I don’t think they “nailed” the ending but it seems pretty obvious DLC is needed to cap it off to set up their next game which I imagine is Control 2.

Eiknarf

Banned
Completed it last night.

It is not without faults. The major takeaway is you need to play this on hard so the game gives you more combat. Even then the game is light on combat, and it has next to no enemy variety. To add to this every engagement with enemies is often the same because they don’t approach you in unique ways. Control has superior gameplay but even that suffered heavily from enemy variety. The combat feels weighty and good though.

It ends up being a minor thing in the grand scheme of what the overall package gives you. For me it’s a 10/10, and my favorite game of this year by a long mile. Favorite horror game since evil within 1, but to call this strictly a horror game is doing it injustice.

You’ll do and see things no other game has done, particularly in one chapter.

The further you go into the game the less it becomes a “oooh look Control tie ins and Easter eggs” to more of a mandatory to comprehend. The last like 2 chapters go full on heavy with Control being required IMO.

I don’t think they “nailed” the ending but it seems pretty obvious DLC is needed to cap it off to set up their next game which I imagine is Control 2.
Oh wow

The way you started your post I didn’t think you’d give it a 10/10.
Kudos
Gonna start it now. Hopefully I dig it as much as you

This is the best looking game I've ever played. And the first time I really wished I had a card better than my good old 3080.

I'm having so much fun playing this. The combat is minimal but I really dont mind. Exploring, the atmosphere and writing are all top notch. You need to take it all with a pinch of salt but it's really good fun. What a breath of fresh air.

I cannot fucking wait to see Remedy's Max Payne remakes after seeing Sam Lake and the original Max voice actor in this game. Also the Dark place NYC setting is a real tease for what the game will look like. I keep starting a max payne 1 playthrough the last few years, but too much jank to get it nicely running on PC and I keep telling myself the wait for the remake will be worth it.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Can't please everyone. :messenger_winking_tongue:

:messenger_beaming: I was also watching Worth A Buy's video just now. I really had a good laugh; he always manages to make entertaining reviews. Giving it a 4/10 might be a bit harsh, but I understand what he meant, and I've decided not to rush into buying this game.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Giving it a 4/10 might be a bit harsh, but I understand what he meant, and I've decided not to rush into buying this game.
For what it's worth, it seems to me he's right, because I got that feeling immediately when starting to play the game. The game is not as good as I hoped for, standards feel lowered, and there's so much on rails.. I have no idea where the fuck all the stellar reviews are coming from. Anyway, I really want to like this game so I'll keep playing and see what happens.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
:messenger_beaming: I was also watching Worth A Buy's video just now. I really had a good laugh; he always manages to make entertaining reviews. Giving it a 4/10 might be a bit harsh, but I understand what he meant, and I've decided not to rush into buying this game.

Yeah, I was going to post Mac’s video after watching it.

So many gushing over the graphics, which are nice - but eventually that falls by the wayside no matter how good it looks.

I doubt I’d be that into spending most of my time searching for clues. Considered buying a key off someone, but I’m in no hurry to play it now.

People who have played - does the gamplay stay gripping? I like horror game. Love max payne, but didn't like Control. Alan wake original didn't grip me, but this seems like it might. I'd like an opinion outside a formal reviewer

In other words os it worth 70?

Last edited:

Danjin44

People who have played - does the gamplay stay gripping? I like horror game. Love max payne, but didn't like Control. Alan wake original didn't grip me, but this seems like it might. I'd like an opinion outside a formal reviewer
I haven't played Control but I can say in my opinion the combat its better than AW1, but just dont expect to be as good as RE2R, RE4R and Dead Space, since they have MUCH better enemy designs.

Last edited:

Arsic

Very worth $70. The general consensus is the combat here is good but it just doesn’t have enough of it. I recommend playing hard mode so you get more encounters.

Compared to control through it is a step back in terms of the free form fun. It’s also light in enemy variety too. Most encounters play out the same way, but it is satisfying and feels visceral.

Very worth $70. The general consensus is the combat here is good but it just doesn’t have enough of it. I recommend playing hard mode so you get more encounters.

Compared to control through it is a step back in terms of the free form fun. It’s also light in enemy variety too. Most encounters play out the same way, but it is satisfying and feels visceral.
Does this mean there are no bosses? Minimal combat and low enemy variety is a bummer for me. I'm still open though. What makes you say it's still worth 70?

Last edited:

Arsic

Does this mean there are no bosses? Minimal combat and low enemy variety is a bummer for me. I'm still open though. What makes you say it's still worth 70?
There are bosses. Very few.

The story, visuals , dialogue, atmosphere, and everything else in the package is superb.

The combat is the only downfall. Read through a few pages of this thread and you’ll see people complain about the combat, not liking the slower pace of the game.

It’s all intentional. It’s the best game of the generation for many. Myself included.

There are bosses. Very few.

The story, visuals , dialogue, atmosphere, and everything else in the package is superb.

The combat is the only downfall. Read through a few pages of this thread and you’ll see people complain about the combat, not liking the slower pace of the game.

It’s all intentional. It’s the best game of the generation for many. Myself included.
This is what I needed to hear. Thank you. Seems like it may be similar to the tone of a game I loved - Condemned

Freeman76

For what it's worth, it seems to me he's right, because I got that feeling immediately when starting to play the game. The game is not as good as I hoped for, standards feel lowered, and there's so much on rails.. I have no idea where the fuck all the stellar reviews are coming from. Anyway, I really want to like this game so I'll keep playing and see what happens.
Completely agree. One of the most overrated games in recent memory for me. Can see why it has an audience but for me it was a 6/10 at a push. Story was ridiculous, writing was not great, gameplay was fun in places but none of it made any fucking sense and surely they could have come up with a better name than The Dark Place, felt like horror for kids half the time. The acting in the live action parts was not even b movie quality.

FsR made the game look like shit half the time. The case file parts were pretty cool, but the mind place, I mean wtf is that all about, probably some far fetched explanation for it but all the wierd fuckery was so hard to follow I gave up trying to understand by the time I got to that rock music video level.

On a plus side, Bright Falls was brilliantly designed, and really atmospheric, really pulled off the small backwater town vibe, I thought it was exceptional. Made it all the worse when you go from that to some boring underground station with enfuriating level design. In fact most of Sagas 'saga' was excellent, the Alan Wake bits were a headfuck and not even well implemented imo. Felt like they were going for the alternate universe Silent Hill 2 type vibe but for me, felt like they didnt really know how to do it and we got this instead.

I felt similar with Control to how I do about this. There is obviously something about Remedy games that appeal to a lot of people, but goes way over my head.

Very worth $70.

The game is $60 on Consoles and $50 on PC (EGS exclusive), not $70.

But if you didn't like the first one, from what I've seen (haven't played it yet), there's nothing drastically different mechanics here on offer than AW1. It has better, more accurate aiming with better gunplay (think RE2R, which it's inspired by), and a lot of walking sections with puzzles/crime solving that kinda slows down the pace of the game.

They outright said that they were inspired by RE2R, to make it a little claustrophobic, and the gunplay is almost heavily inspired by it, but still in the AW universe. RE2R is still superior (mechanically) is most aspects of gunplay and design.

Don't go in expecting some fun mechanics like in Control or their Max Payne games.

Eiknarf

Banned
Can't please everyone. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Just watched

And they’re not wrong in that there’s not as much gameplay as we all thought

I am 19 hours in. And I already summed it up in my post above.

I’m not saying if it’s good or bad… I’m just telling you guys the facts:

It’s 40% exploration/investigation, 30% puzzles, and 30% combat.

You can disagree with me, but you will be wrong.

What you CAN do, is like this game.

What you can ALSO do, is dislike this game.

Both opinions are right.

That’s up to you

I’m on the fence. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either. It’s interesting yes, and unique. Yup. But replay value? No. Because there’s not enough of the action/gameplay/combat loop.

But because it’s digital lonely, I can’t even sell it when I’m done.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Just watched

And they’re not wrong in that there’s not as much gameplay as we all thought

I am 19 hours in. And I already summed it up in my post above.

I’m not saying if it’s good or bad… I’m just telling you guys the facts:

It’s 40% exploration/investigation, 30% puzzles, and 30% combat.

You can disagree with me, but you will be wrong.

What you CAN do, is like this game.

What you can ALSO do, is dislike this game.

Both opinions are right.

That’s up to you

I’m on the fence. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either. It’s interesting yes, and unique. Yup. But replay value? No. Because there’s not enough of the action/gameplay/combat loop.

But because it’s digital lonely, I can’t even sell it when I’m done.
Isn’t it all game play? You literally have to play the game ????

Lokaum D+

yeah, i just droped the game for good, cant play it right now, the lack of "save anywhere" is killing me, everytime i need to to anything mid playthorugh i lose all my progress, its very annoying.

Eiknarf

Banned
Isn’t it all game play? You literally have to play the game ????
Well… Yes and No
Reading and doing nonstop detective work and “trying to figure out” shit is not why you are holding a controller in your hand. You hold a controller in your hand to battle…shoot…game….play…etc

There’s a threshold, a certain amount of detective work/reading and research that some developers put in games that once they make you cross it, you’re now just reading a mystery/crime novel.

Might as well join a Book Of The Month club and hold a Dualsense in your hand when The Silent Patient arrives in hardcover

Matsuchezz

If I don’t play the first game will I enjoy the second. I started the game I mean the first one. But it feels tedious. Will i miss something great?

Danjin44

If I don’t play the first game will I enjoy the second. I started the game I mean the first one. But it feels tedious. Will i miss something great?
Either play the on easy just to experience the story or.....

I enjoyed AW1 I even replayed the game before AW 2 comes out but in my opinion the game hasn't aged well.

K' Dash

this game is not for everyone and thats whats amazing about it. People got used to the sanitized, focus group tested, corporate reviewed, homogenized crap that these companies have been pumping for almost 20 years. They can't imagine a game without a compass showing them where to go at any given time. There were people complaining about the puzzles being too hard and not being explained... those are the same idiots complaining that Atreus solved the "puzzles" for you in Ragnarok not 1 minute after finding one.

I'm glad Remedy didn't compromise their creative vision because of the simpletons that came in expecting the same crap everyone is releasing since 2006.

Well done.

Nando13

I'm on chapter 5 and my stash is almost full and I have plenty of ammo (e.g., +30 shotgun shells). Can I go crazy with the ammo, or should I always try to conserve? I thought it was going to be like RE2 ammo-wise, but I'm swimming in it.

thatJohann

I absolutely hate this game.

I never know where to go. Useless map. Game is extremely dark even in places where it shouldn’t be like the morgue. I can’t see shit. The mind palace mechanics and its UI is a complete cluster fuck.

Not having any fun. Wish I could refund it but Sony doesn’t allow it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I never know where to go. Useless map. Game is extremely dark even in places where it shouldn’t be like the morgue. I can’t see shit. The mind palace mechanics and its UI is a complete cluster fuck.

The game was okish but worse than the first one.
Constant, never ending monologues in mind place and talking heads. fake case solving treating you like a complete idiot.
There is very little gameplay here. You roam around, scouring the forest for 2 hours, fight enemies for 5 minutes, do mindplace crap for 5 minutes and listen to mindplace monologues for 15 minutes. Then watch 10 minutes of cutscenes and repeat. Don't even remind me of trash rhyme doll puzzles and lunch boxes with these stupid positive messaging.

It's not a bad game but I honestly am sensing some gaming worldwide conspiracy. The game is woke and written by sweetbaby inc crap. The games they do win awards and are highly positively looked at while games they don't do (like hogwarts legacy for example) are scrutinized and cancelled even from game awards.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It has a user score on Metacritic of 8.8. Most people really like the game, no conspiracy needed.
The game was reviewed with 9s and 10s, so of course people love it because they are influenced.
Masses can eat shit anyway.

But that's hyperbole - the game is fine but it's not AS GOOD as score would imply

Eiknarf

Banned

Uninstall it and take the loss like the rest of us who didn’t love it

Zathalus

The game was reviewed with 9s and 10s, so of course people love it because they are influenced.
Masses can eat shit anyway.

But that's hyperbole - the game is fine but it's not AS GOOD as score would imply
You are free to have that opinion of course. I personally feel the game is a 9/10, which is just my opinion as well. Both are valid.

Just pointing out the reception to the game by your average user matches that of most critics. This is not an example of a game that gets widely praised by critics while being shat on by players.

Top Bottom