• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, someone mentioned that the Pikmin in the For Fun Team Smash weren't original renders - is this true?

main.png

They look the same to me.

Golnei

As far as the Mii Fighters icon, they wouldn't be expected to change it. I could kind of see the argument of "why would they use a stock photo for the other icon?", but that's not really strong evidence.

By the way, someone mentioned that the Pikmin in the For Fun Team Smash weren't original renders - is this true?

They could be mirrored and rearranged versions of the ones in Olimar's render.

250px-Olimar_SSB4.png

Toxi

Banned
Super Smash Bros. Brawl, released in 2008, is the most interesting to look at when it comes to Metroid; the highly-acclaimed Prime trilogy had all been released by the time of its completion, including Prime 3: Corruption the previous year. Yet Brawl still used a decidedly stylised pre-Prime design for Samus, as if they were acknowledging only the Japanese-developed entries in the series.
Well, they did include Frigate Orpheon.

And the Dark Suit alt.

And a few music tracks ripped straight from the games.

And... Uh... Yeah.

:(

One thing I guess if we want to be super OCD picky about it, the white box on the bottom option, is on the top on the leak image, while on the bottom for the real picture.

But that could just be some style change to vary the menus up a bit in design.

And the Dark Suit alt.

And... Uh... Yeah.

Meta Ridley was one of the final bosses in the SSE. And probably the most unique fight in the entire adventure. Prime also had a ton of trophies, including Prime Hunters.

Am I the only one a little concerned about the gap between the selection border and the actual menu button in the official pic vs the leak?

though we already knew this?

Forgive me if my memory serves me wrong, but I don't recall Sakurai explaining the green symbol or how to unlock character customizations. I'm just drawing a parallel between the the leaked screen on the right and the PoTD.

Toxi

Banned
Meta Ridley was one of the final bosses in the SSE. And probably the most unique fight in the entire adventure. Prime also had a ton of trophies, including Prime Hunters.
Thanks, I completely forgot about Meta Ridley.

As for trophies, six Prime Hunters trophies was... Excessive. I have the feeling Prime got the majority of the trophies because they could use straight model rips.

Kinsei

Banned
Super Smash Bros. Brawl, released in 2008, is the most interesting to look at when it comes to Metroid; the highly-acclaimed Prime trilogy had all been released by the time of its completion, including Prime 3: Corruption the previous year. Yet Brawl still used a decidedly stylised pre-Prime design for Samus, as if they were acknowledging only the Japanese-developed entries in the series.

That really bugged me. It bugs me even more so now, when they were so quick to switch to the shitty Other M design.

Golnei

Again, I don't think Brawl's decision to use the Zero Mission power suit for Samus was all that offensive - the game was released in 2004, with Brawl's planning period finalised in 2006. Especially considering the introduction of ZSS as a newcomer.

Toxi

Banned
Again, I don't think Brawl's decision to use the Zero Mission power suit for Samus was all that offensive - the game was released in 2004, with Brawl's planning period finalised in 2006. Especially considering the introduction of ZSS as a newcomer.
Prime 2 was released later in 2004 and was the most recent Metroid at the time (Unless you count Hunters and Pinball). Brawl even uses Prime 2's model for the Varia Suit trophy.

Samus_%28Varia_Suit%29_Trophy.jpg

In just a few months, it'll be Prime 2's tenth anniversary.

Thanks, I completely forgot about Meta Ridley.

As for trophies, six Prime Hunters trophies was... Excessive. I have the feeling Prime got the majority of the trophies because they could use straight model rips.
Bingo, but hey those Prime Hunters aren't that bad, compared to those DK Barrel Blast randomers they're stone cold classics.

Greenzxy

Prime 2 was released later in 2004 and was the most recent Metroid at the time (Unless you count Hunters and Pinball). Brawl even uses Prime 2's model for the Varia Suit trophy.

Samus_%28Varia_Suit%29_Trophy.jpg

...why didn't we have this design playable in brawl?

Golnei

I agree that a Prime model would have been preferable, but choosing to use Zero Mission's design is at least more defensible than retaining Super's.

hey i like the hunters :(

also i am not mentally prepared for the (likely scenario of) further descent into leak hell over the weekend
sakurai please save us

we're probably going to get a past stage that's on the leak or something

And the Dark Suit alt.

And... Uh... Yeah.

Sakurai is obviously xenophobic. This is why DK and Metroid are underrepresented in Smash, and obscure franchises like Eternal Darkness and StarTropics aren't even acknowledged.

Hatchtag

Banned
Sakurai is obviously xenophobic. This is why DK and Metroid are underrepresented in Smash, and obscure franchises like Eternal Darkness and StarTropics aren't even acknowledged.

I can't tell if you're joking or not but Sakurai's actually a fan of several Western games. Fallout 3 was his GOTY the year it came out.

Ryce

Who'd have thought that a Japanese game designed by a Japanese man based on a Japanese company would feature primarily Japanese elements.

Man, if you hear fans of _____ series, Sakurai loathes and/or ignores every series except his own (and Mario).

They're not wrong. Kirby, Fire Emblem, Mario, Pokémon and now Kid Icarus are the only franchises that matter to Sakurai. I'm surprised Captain Falcon hasn't been cut at this point, considering how he treats F-Zero like garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom