• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it hadn't gone gold already. They're less than three weeks from releas.

Cutting it really close for a game that's going to sell as much as it is. Dunno how hype japan is over it (I imagine very hype), so it's going to sell at least 500k, if not over a million (correct me if i'm WAY off, please). I mean, monster hunter 4 sold 2 million its first week, so I think that's probably the upper limit, I think saying 1/4 to 1/2 of that isn't too off.

That said, to print that many copies, it probably should have gone gold by now.

Edit: the hostility as incredible in this thread as the chances of that one character you've been hoping for diminishes day by day. :/ I'm sorry for your losses, smashgaffers, but please try not to get too upset if one of your most wanted characters doesn't make it.

Sponge

Banned
Holy shit were Paon trying to dethrone Rare as the worst character designers of all time?

286px-Kalypso_-_Brawl_Trophy.png

It's not as if Japan likes Metroid in the first place.

I would take Tikis anyday over that ...thing.

nerdbot

They're not wrong. Kirby, Fire Emblem, Mario, Pokémon and now Kid Icarus are the only franchises that matter to Sakurai. I'm surprised Captain Falcon hasn't been cut at this point, considering how he treats F-Zero like garbage.

F-Zero in general is treated like garbage by Nintendo. Who would you really add from F-Zero? "Black Shadow as a Ganondorf replacement" gets thrown around a lot but realistically speaking I don't think it'd happen ever. Samurai Goroh maybe I guess? Captain Falcon is really the only standout F-Zero character.

F-Zero in general is treated like garbage by Nintendo. Who would you really add from F-Zero? "Black Shadow as a Ganondorf replacement" gets thrown around a lot but realistically speaking I don't think it'd happen ever. Samurai Goroh maybe I guess? Captain Falcon is really the only standout F-Zero character.
Then we need to take it to the next level.

Playable Blue Falcon

Toxi

Banned
I can't tell if you're joking or not but Sakurai's actually a fan of several Western games. Fallout 3 was his GOTY the year it came out.
He has a pretty diverse taste. I remember he was struggling against the Moonlight Butterfly in Dark Souls.

Who'd have thought that a Japanese game designed by a Japanese man based on a Japanese company would feature primarily Japanese elements.
Smash 4 has a character popular in the US as reimagined by Canadians.

It's just very surprising that Prime 2's look was skipped over. Prime 3's a victim of unfortunate timing, so I understand why we aren't seeing anything from that game, but Prime 2 was the face of Metroid before Brawl.

Golnei

Sure, if you're ignoring the best F-Zero character.

Ryce

Speaking of "bias," Punch-Out!! and Duck Hunt (I'm just entertaining the idea for the sake of making this point) are both incredibly obscure in Japan. Obviously Sakurai had more than just Japan in mind when making this game.

Zubz

Banned
Was there a leak of similar veracity to this one during Brawl's prerelease? I don't remember any expected characters that didn't make it.

There was that showed off the rest of the roster, but it didn't have screens. It got the Dragoon right, though, but I remember refusing to believe it because it meant the only newcomers left/locked were the expected Lucario, the not-as-WTF-as-I'd-hoped R.O.B. (I was seriously pulling for King Harkinian), and the clonetacular Toon Link and Wolf.

This one, I'd be more okay with character-wise (I'd be upset about Ridley, but Bayo, Wonder Red, and K. Rool never really had chances this go around, didn't they... :( ), but not with the stages, and the menu design is glaringly ugly. But I'm #TeamFake just because it looks cobbled together and not anywhere near Sakurai-tier polished.

Hatchtag

Banned
They're not wrong. Kirby, Fire Emblem, Mario, Pokémon and now Kid Icarus are the only franchises that matter to Sakurai. I'm surprised Captain Falcon hasn't been cut at this point, considering how he treats F-Zero like garbage.

Kirby's gotten new characters in only one entry.
Mario got skipped entirely in Brawl.
Pokemon and Fire Emblem are second-partyish, so they get to have a little more say in what they get.
Kid Icarus got one new rep because he worked on the series recently. It might have gotten a clone, too.
F-Zero's gotten a ton of love. It might have only one character, but it's gotten a new stage in Brawl and two new ones in Melee, despite not having a game in over a decade.
I think he gives series about the right amount of love. You may disagree, but I hardly think he gives only a few franchises love.

Plus, don't you strongly, strongly think this leak is fake?

Blah, we all know James McCloud is the best F-Zero character
and Star Fox character

And how could Candy Kong not take the crown for worst? Yeesh.

f-zero can get more representation by giving captain falcon alts of all the definitely-not-captain-falcon characters like blood falcon and beastman and super arrow and phoenix

Zubz

Banned
That's not John Tanaka!

i only like him because his car stats spell DAD

Doesn't Dr. Stuart's do so, too? I still like that Mr. EAD's stats are EAD just because it's also his/the dev team's name. Gah. Now I want to play F-Zero GX again. I'd go to great lengths for an HD remake.

Hey Ryce did you see the joke about you i said in the rumor thread? :p

... Okay, in retrospect, I really didn't want to believe PSASBR's roster was so tiny/Crash, Spyro, & Abe-less, either (I was still pulling for the King of All Cosmos/Pomeranian from Tokyo Jungle DLC until SSM took over), so I guess I'm not the best at believing real, disagreeable leaks, but that menu, man...

Believe what you want. The "two main characters & a villain" criteria for a franchise to apparently matter is great, but hard to implement for every series across the board.

Anyway, let's talk about a series that IS very underrepresented. I'm surprised a Chibi-Robo AT hasn't been revealed yet. If we're being REALLY hopeful, he could get a stage on 3DS, considering the series is primarily associated with handhelds now.

Golnei

f-zero can get more representation by giving captain falcon alts of all the definitely-not-captain-falcon characters like blood falcon and beastman and super arrow and phoenix

Blood Falcon is an actual clone and Phoenix is probably his descendant or reincarnation or something, but what do Beastman and Super Arrow have to do with him beyond sharing a superhero aesthetic?

Blood Falcon is an actual clone and Phoenix is probably his descendant or reincarnation or something, but what do Beastman and Mr. Arrow have to do with him beyond sharing a superhero aesthetic?

they always just struck me as being really similar design-wise, though super arrow less so upon reevaluation

beastman definitely has the same face and everything though

Berordn

Alright after looking it up a bit, some things I noticed. Mostly taken from the 3DS trailer in the E3 direct (and a couple daily pics):

1. The background doesn't seem to change between the menus accessed from the main menu (but does seem to be repositioned when banners are added to the top of the screen):

But it does for some submenus elsewhere:

2. The menu is not uniform with UI elements. Buttons are inconsistent in design and layout a clean swap even in continued selections tree, from what we can see. It's actually kind of weird that this customizations menu looks identical to a submenu of online play. The bottom banner from the Nintendo Network menu has only officially been shown there so far, no other menu screens seem to have it (but we have very few that are shown on the top screen):

3. If real, this would be the only menu so far to actually share a design with another, but so far they all serve radically different functions of the game and uniformity probably wouldn't be expected anyway.

4. None of this is intended to prove or disprove anything, in any case.

No.

There are literally dozens of characters they could add. F-Zero GX was released in between Melee and Brawl, and yet the only thing he added was Sakurai Goroh as an Assist Trophy. Unless Sakurai works on a reboot of the franchise, F-Zero will always be treated like hot garbage. Absolutely tragic.

Blood Falcon is an actual clone and Phoenix is probably his descendant or reincarnation or something, but what do Beastman and Super Arrow have to do with him beyond sharing a superhero aesthetic?

Super Arrow has like a futuristic super Owl for a sidekick/pet so I'll allow it.
I only discovered this last month, I should use him more often.

Kinsei

Banned
Kirby's gotten new characters in only one entry.
Mario got skipped entirely in Brawl.
Pokemon and Fire Emblem are second-partyish, so they get to have a little more say in what they get.
Kid Icarus got one new rep because he worked on the series recently. It might have gotten a clone, too.
F-Zero's gotten a ton of love. It might have only one character, but it's gotten a new stage in Brawl and two new ones in Melee, despite not having a game in over a decade.
I think he gives series about the right amount of love. You may disagree, but I hardly think he gives only a few franchises love.

Plus, don't you strongly, strongly think this leak is fake?

I have to disagree with you there. Stages are not nearly as important as characters, and now Metroid and F-Zero still only have one character and we're on the fourth Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom