• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sTrEeTs Of RaGe 4 ~ rAgE iN tHe CaGe

Kazza

I just got to the final boss with Blaze in arcade mode (hard). I was so close to knocking out one of the twins (and so ensuring an easy fight with the big robot), but they got some cheap hits on me. Next time!

Does anyone have any advice about playing as Axel? Him and Cherry are the only two characters I feel I don't have a grip on yet. With Cherry it's only natural, after all she is a brand new character, but it hurts with Axel, as I was always pretty handy with him. He's seems as slow as Floyd, only without the power, and his jump is beaten by almost everyone. All the time while I'm playing and watching his fat body slowly walking across the screen all I can think of is:

giphy.gif

Soodanim

Axel gets a hard time.
Blaze has better moves and is faster.
Cherry is fastest.
Floyd has more range and better crowd control.

Axel has his face on the poster, that's about it. F+Special opens you up to pain, Grand Upper opens you up to pain.

Watching people play Mania makes me want to jump back in, but all that's waiting is the reminder that I'm not them and I'm not willing to put the effort in to be them.

Kazza

Axel gets a hard time.
Blaze has better moves and is faster.
Cherry is fastest.
Floyd has more range and better crowd control.

Axel has his face on the poster, that's about it. F+Special opens you up to pain, Grand Upper opens you up to pain.

Watching people play Mania makes me want to jump back in, but all that's waiting is the reminder that I'm not them and I'm not willing to put the effort in to be them.

I never played mania in the original trilogy and I'm not going to start now. For me, hard is probably the highest I'm willing to go. For SoR, I just enjoy listening to the music, looking at the graphics and beating goons. The first two become difficult to do if all my attention is taken up by the later.

iconmaster

Banned
My son and I beat the game (it feels more correct to use "beat" in this context) yesterday. That is, I survived the final level long enough to participate in the boss fight, and then he finished it.

That last level is especially tough since

you start just after a plane crash which leaves you with a tremendous amount of green potential damage. If you get hit at all in the first couple minutes, you're essentially dead.

I immediately wanted to go back into level select and start trying stages on Hard.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Does anyone have any advice about playing as Axel? Him and Cherry are the only two characters I feel I don't have a grip on yet. With Cherry it's only natural, after all she is a brand new character, but it hurts with Axel, as I was always pretty handy with him. He's seems as slow as Floyd, only without the power, and his jump is beaten by almost everyone. All the time while I'm playing and watching his fat body slowly walking across the screen all I can think of is:

giphy.gif

iconmaster

Banned
The Axel changes sound great.

Im playing through Level Select on Hard (yeah, I don’t think I’ll get far) and finding that different characters suit different stages. I was struggling with the the Police Precinct until I figured out Floyd can power through it. But he’s a bad choice for the Cargo Ship that follows. There, I had an easier time with Axel.

Shows great game design, I think.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
As an example of what I mean by modernization of the formula, there is a game that is described as being a combination of Streets of Rage and Ikaruga, it's called The Red Star. It was released for PS2 at the end of its lifetime around 2006 or something. It flew under everyone's radar but in my opinion it's a masterpiece and anyone reading this post owes it to themselves to grab epsx2 and emulate it (in widescreen no less). Basically:
- 2 characters and 1 unlockable that play very differently
- ability to use both guns and melee attacks, the game switches between guns and melee encounters seamlessly, sometimes having both
- the melee sections are standard beat em up, a standard combo attack, a lock-on modifier that changes your moves, a shield, and a chragable super
- the gun portions is basically very well done bullet hell, which starts off easy but then ramps up to something quite difficult
- characters can buy upgrades between stages, such as gun upgrades (improved damage, cooldown, etc), new guns, and improve melee damage, a few others
- the game is actually long (5-6 hours) with lots of replayability (you get ranked at each stage, the different characters are well worth new run throughs, especially on higher difficulty)

Yeah, 15 years later this game still blows my mind how amazing and underrated it is. Here is a review, and I hope some of you will check it out:

It's true. The Red Star is great.

And Bulk of Bulk and Skull from The Power Rangers worked on the art.

main-7.jpg

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Started playing this on PC via games pass. Cherry is such an awesome character. At first glance I did not like the art style but it grew on me quickly and I love this game so much. If you have games pass you owe yourself a bit of fun just trying it out.

She was surprisingly fun. I learned to cheese bosses in corners by head stomp combo. Bounce off their head, redirect, and continue as forever as can be.

tkscz

After completing hard mode, starting hardest and doing a bit of Mania, I have to say I do enjoy this game a lot more than I thought I was. Its the only other game at the moment that has me constantly picking up my switch (Animal Crossing and Octopath Traveler being the other two). It's a great Streets of Rage game that really does nail a lot of what the original games had to give. The updated combo system that allows juggling was definitely a step in the right direction, and really happy to have Adam back after being kidnapped in 2 and only a cameo in 3. I enjoy the campy story that still has that 90's buddy cop/action flick feel. And the animation is great. Mixing a new style with the old school movement and feel and I love the coloring choices.

That all being said, I didn't like most of the sound track. About half of it sound off to me. I know it was done by multiple people rather than relying solely on Yuzo. Though Yuzo's work sticks out as the best in the game to me, the rest either sound ok or just don't click with me at all. While I like the animation and colors, some of the designs I don't care for. Floyd's and Cherry's feel a little out of place (though I REALLY liked the bald older Floyd design they decided not to go with) and Axel's design has too much going on (why have the jean vest AND a long sleeve shirt tied around your waste?). Blaze is unchanged for the most part, but damn Adam's new design looks good, even the little curly Q he has going on (going to cosplay this one).

But what hurts this game the most to me (again, still enjoy it and consider it great) is that the Streets of Rage Remake exist and I still have it, and it does so much more than SoR4 does. While 4 still has the edge on combos with it's juggling, the remake kept the 3 star blitz system from SoR3, along with running and dodge (which is a real issue in 4 sense it incorporates enemies from 3 that made the player use the dodging mechanic). Has a better way of handling unlockables, better unlockables, more interesting new characters, forked paths that lead from one game path to another (start in SoR2, take an alternate path through a brand new level and then end up in SoR3) that increases replayablity, along with also having screen clearing special attacks,, it hurt my experience with 4 a little. Not enough for me not to want to continue playing it, but enough to always have the comparison on my mind when I do play it.

That said, I still would suggest SoR4 over the remake purely on how easy it is to get (because Sega C&D the remake, most sites that have it give you malware). And like I said before, the game is still great and the juggling combo system is very welcomed, just wish it kept the 3 star blitz and dodge from SoR3 and had the splitting paths, the game is a bit on the short side.

iconmaster

Banned
Any ETA on the update with the Axel buffs? Seems like there has been only radio silence as of late.

No date yet, unfortunately. Yes, the devs could do more to let us know what's going on; but I try to remember they're a small team (or group of small teams).

I keep up with the changes through tetsuo9999's uploads. Blaze is getting a jump cancel, so that's nice.

I'm mainly eager for some of the nerfs to enemy i-frames. I'm not against the game being challenging (I'm working through the Hardest difficulty now) but having to wait for some enemies to stop being invulnerable before you can challenge them is a little tedious.

Shinkensou (sor4 tester) did some streams with the new patch, and here is some of the changes we'll have on the next update (they still working on it);

------*****------

-Adam's Defense Special now OTG's.

-Barney's taser grab has been given some startup and has been slowed down.

-Barney has less health.

-Commissioner's overhead punch and God Press at Stage 7 no longer have armor, making the Estel 2 fight more feasible.

-Some gravity has been added to the knockdowns, making Adam's boot loops harder.

-Floyd's 3-hit Jab Infinite is gone. 2-piece still exists. His Gotcha Grab loop still seems to work, though.

-Diva's electric floor attack doesn't seem to stay active as long. Same applies to electric vials.

-Cherry's Offense Special starts up much faster.

-4th part of Cherry's auto combo can be jump cancelled now.

-A turkey has been added to Stage 9 in front of a fat guy, near a mop.

-Stage 9 now has two apples in the section where you fight Dokuja (red Goro).

-An apple at Stage 9's agents section has been changed to a turkey.

-Big Ben's armor on his flamethrower has been removed.

-Max's A.I. has been adjusted. Apparently you can now special out of his grab.

-Max got new moves

-Garnet's jump kick and Gourmand's body splash tracking have been nerfed.

-Bikes take 3 hits to destroy instead of 5 now.

-A number of bosses have been nerfed (slowed)

-Tracking for jumping sisters nerfed

-Galsia's weapon hitbox nerfed

-Miss Y buffed, shadows in bossfight

-No more Blaze infinite, it's gone

-No more armor for Big Ben

-Barney is slower, has had a hitbox adjustment and with less HP

-Kickboxer flying knee is slower

-Y Tower locker room now spawns turkey

--Axel specific--

-Faster movement speed (on par with blaze)

-I-frames on grand upper startup

-Grand upper and neutral special OTGs

-Neutral special can be used when you're being hit (in air as well)

-Less hitstop on neutral special

-Charge attack does more damage and wall bounces

-Added range on forward special

More to come...

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
A turkey has been added to Stage 9 in front of a fat guy, near a mop.
Y Tower locker room now spawns turkey

I just beat this stage on Hardest (Stage 9 is the Y Tower) and I wonder if these are referring to the same change. There's only one mop in the stage AFAICT and it's not by a fat guy.

Barney's taser grab has been given some startup and has been slowed down.
Big Ben's armor on his flamethrower has been removed.

These are the changes I want more than anything, though I'll definitely start playing Axel once his buffs land.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I just beat this stage on Hardest (Stage 9 is the Y Tower) and I wonder if these are referring to the same change. There's only one mop in the stage AFAICT and it's not by a fat guy.
There is fat guy in the background behind the mop.
I think in both this case and the locker room tweak, an apple is being replaced with a turkey.

My mania playthrough definitely hit a wall on Stage 9. Getting too beat up to to survive the crock of horseshit that is the glass walled elevator. Haven't had the heart to go back yet.
I welcome this change, but part of me wants to try again before the patch.
Congrats on beating it yourself!

the_master

This changes look great, shame I already got the platinum trophy (and it is my only platinum, this is how much I liked this game)
I which they'd add few more characters and maybe a new stage

Miles708

I wonder if the regular (non-limited run games) retail version will have this patch in it, even if I doubt it.

I would preferred to have the retail version postponed, to include all patches/dlcs. It doesn't make much sense to talk about preservation, and still have content gated through online platforms.

Everyone did a bit of a mess with the retail release of this game.

Last edited:
Anyone think this game is unnecessarily hard? It kills the fun.

Def not as satisfying as playing SoR2.

There is definitely a bit too much super armor on enemies (when they glow white and are immune to hits).

It's a fantastic game though. It just needs a few subtle tweaks and balance adjustments. And Axel is a bit too weak for the main character.

SkylineRKR

I think the game is easier than classic SoR.

I can beat this game in Arcade mode on Hard (haven't tried higher difficulties yet), but I couldn't beat the classics on a single credit I think. Though admittedly you do get more lives in SoR4, and even more if you manage to cash in high combos. I really like the risk/reward of this. I've seen a video of a guy doing like a 700 hit combo on stage one and got like 6 lives for it lol. No matter how you put it, SoR 4 IS designed to 1CC. There is no other way to beat it.

The issue might be that if you play story, your lives get reset after every stage. Story mode was kind of hard first time. And its still hard on the higher difficulties because of the limited lives each stage.

Some stages are just tedious, and some super armor ridiculous drawing out fights for no reason. All changes sound very good.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I just read some of the patch notes, it looks great! Hopefully the online gets a bit of life on PC, it's been 0 the last few times I've been on

Top Bottom