• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nvidia skyrocketed as they blew past earnings into the stratosphere. They confirmed they want to be the AI leader.

Dumb question.

If NVDA focused on gpus, how does gpu stuff really help AI take off? Wouldn't cpu intensive chips be the ones making AI go? Or can gpus also handle all the AI stuff?

HoodWinked

Nvidia skyrocketed as they blew past earnings into the stratosphere. They confirmed they want to be the AI leader.

Dumb question.

If NVDA focused on gpus, how does gpu stuff really help AI take off? Wouldn't cpu intensive chips be the ones making AI go? Or can gpus also handle all the AI stuff?
i think its because AI is basically math. essentially taking the training data like a texture map then processing it like a shader. where as we have software rendering for CPUs which isn't as capable.

Fools idol

Banned
This debt limit deal is a monstroscity.

The tiny savings due to raising the food stamp work age to 54 yrs amounts to 0.02% of the $49 trillion in 10-year entitlement costs that are otherwise left untouched.

But what good does it do to "freeze" nondefense discretionary outlays at FY 2023 levels which are net up 56% from president Obama's FY 2016 budget? If the GOP majority falls for this compromise they are dumber than I thought.

The deal adds $4 trillion to the debt, hands all leverage to the Biden admin for rest of his term, in exchange for freezing/then growing the current regime, with just 2 years of caps designed to fail from the off.

A million seconds is 11 days

A billion seconds is just over 31 years

You don't wanna know how long a trillion seconds is.

Ellery

As expected always the same with those people.

There was never a risk to default since those people don't want to leave their comfortable cushions of doing nothing. Absolute farce of a show and absolutely nothing changes.

There is no great reset or quick digital transformation. They played the media and the media played the people. Even broader media, social media and influencer

Kicking the can down the road and injecting trillions into their vens only for future generations to deal with the problems.

They will play the same show the next time and then increase the ceiling for the 93rd time in a row.

Tams

Ugh, should have sold at the explosion at the end of May. I forgot though.

Still, made a nice profit from clearing out my Nvidia and AMD holdings. Could have made a bit more though, urgghh.

I've kept my Microsoft shares as they still look like they are going up, bought some more even.

Nintendo has been... eh. Okay.

My only disappointments have been National Grid and BAE Systems.

Freeman76

Would CD Projekt be a good one to invest a bit in, with a deepdive of their expansion due and a huge install base due to having to practically give it away to regain faith?

Tams

Would CD Projekt be a good one to invest a bit in, with a deepdive of their expansion due and a huge install base due to having to practically give it away to regain faith?

Their share price has been on a nice upward trajectory, but it's very cheap so the increases are only about a $1. Plus, it looks a bit volatile.

Do they have anything to announce soon? I know GOG has been a bit of a financial burden for them.

They don't look like their going to go bankrupt though, so if you are fine holding until you get a profit, then sure, go ahead.

I think there are better investments if you have the money though.

Freeman76

Their share price has been on a nice upward trajectory, but it's very cheap so the increases are only about a $1. Plus, it looks a bit volatile.

Do they have anything to announce soon? I know GOG has been a bit of a financial burden for them.

They don't look like their going to go bankrupt though, so if you are fine holding until you get a profit, then sure, go ahead.

I think there are better investments if you have the money though.
I have a good 10k to play with. I have a friend who is making a good amount but he invested in Tesla at 145 per share alongside others. Im just testing the waters really, have a large savings pool from an inheritance (100k+) but dont want to gamble with that especially when I dont know what i'm doing. Was advised Blackberry is one to watch as they are low but have a new chip and pin security device coming out. Obvs nothing is 100% in trading but if I can figure some safe investments im willing to put more in. Small 2% gains on 150k will soon add up

dem

Bank of Canada surprises and raises rates again.

Up to 4.75

Odds of the Fed raising just went up

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Bought a large tranche of Tesla shares last month and it's doing nicely. Might add some more, seems like most are bearish. Cramer saying he thinks Tesla will get crushed later this year makes me very bullish lmao

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member

Apple Is the World’s First $3 Trillion Company​

The iPhone’s strength has helped to offset supply chain challenges, a global pandemic and recessionary fears​

Launched from a California garage as a puckish computer company in 1976, Apple is now worth about double the value of longtime rival Google and seven times that of Exxon Mobil, which loomed over markets as the world’s most valuable company for many years.

The tech giant has come to be entrenched in the lives of consumers and as a bedrock holding for investors whose faith in its dominance is unwavering even as heightened Western tensions with China continue to call attention to its heavy reliance on Chinese manufacturing.

The Cupertino, Calif., company’s stock has been on a tear this year, propelled by new demand from emerging markets such as India and the first new product release in nearly a decade: a $3,499 headset that combines virtual reality with the ability to place digital content in the real world. Chief Executive Tim Cookcalled it a platform for “spatial computing.”

Apple shares are up nearly 50% since the beginning of the year and have beaten the Nasdaq Composite Index’s growth of about 30%. It took 42 years for the company to reach $1 trillion in 2018, then another two years to reach $2 trillion in 2020. Getting to the $3 trillion mark took nearly three more years.

The company briefly surged above a $3 trillion market capitalization in January 2022 during intraday trading but failed to close above the mark. The stock closed Friday at $193.97, up 2.3% on the day and valuing the company at $3.05 trillion.

Dan Morgan, a senior portfolio manager who focuses on technology at Synovus Trust, which counts Apple among its largest holdings, said the company is a haven for investors in almost any scenario because of its “massive cash flow and huge customer base.” He added: “It’s a company investors buy even when things aren’t doing well in the economy.”

Much of Apple’s current resilience rests on the strength of its iPhone, which accounts for around half of its annual sales. The company has sold more than two billion iPhones since the product’s introduction in 2007. While iPhone shipments are no longer growing fast, Apple’s decision to increase prices with the introduction of the Pro lineup in 2019 has boosted overall sales.

Apple also continues to spin up ancillary businesses around the iPhone that both generate additional sales and keep its customer tied to its ecosystem, such as a high-yield savings account as part of its Wallet app.

Apple’s latest run has shown the company’s resilience in the face of broader market challenges, allowing it to rebound much more quickly than most of its big tech rivals following the post-Covid doldrums.

The company has surged ahead of longtime rival Microsoft. The Redmond, Wash., software company hit the $2 trillion mark in 2021, a year after Apple, and briefly eclipsed Apple as the world’s most valuable company. Microsoft’s stock is up more than 40% this year so far, riding high on its uniquely close partnership with OpenAI, whose ChatGPT software has become one of the most closely watched new technologies to emerge in many years.

At the end of last year, Apple was struggling. In November, it issued a warningabout supply-chain disruptions amid China’s Covid-19 restrictions, raising concerns about the company’s overwhelming dependence on the country for manufacturing its hardware. Entering the holiday season, Apple was unable to meet demand for its most premium models of the iPhone 14. Its shares ended the year down nearly 30%.

This year, Apple reported back-to-back quarters of falling revenue for just the third time in a decade. In the second quarter ended on April 1, the company reported sales of $94.8 billion, down 3% from the year-earlier period. But executives highlighted its growing iPhone business in emerging markets, such as India, Indonesia, Latin America and the Middle East, boosting investor confidence.

“The iPhone is truly a global product, and we’re doing well in emerging markets right now,” Apple Chief Financial Officer Luca Maestri said in an interview in May. “That has helped us offset some macroeconomic challenges.”

Along with an expanding market in these developing markets, Apple has accelerated an effort to move more of its supply chain away from China to places such as India and Vietnam, The Wall Street Journal previously reported.

Still, this growth in emerging markets isn’t likely to offset the slowdown Apple is experiencing in more established countries. Investment bank UBS recently downgraded its stock rating to neutral from buy because of persistent slow growth for Apple in its developed markets that is expected to continue. The U.S., China and Europe provide around 70% of iPhone demand for its quarter ended April 1.

“We do not believe the unit [total addressable market] and growth outside of the three largest markets is large enough to drive long-term sustainable iPhone growth above mid-single digits,” wrote UBS analyst David Vogt in a recent investor note.

Apple shares fell after the downgrade but rebounded along with the rest of the market after the Federal Reserve held interest rates steady in response to data showing continued economic strength even after previous rate increases.

With the Vision Pro, announced earlier this month, Apple is entering a busy market with many competitors—especially Meta Platforms’ Quest line. But demos of Apple’s headset were greeted warmly by Apple fans, VR enthusiasts and many analysts.

The Vision Pro “is a product only Apple could have realized at this point in time given the inherent hardware and software integration required,” Krish Sankar, a senior research analyst at investment bank TD Cowen, wrote in a recent note to investors.

The Vision Pro isn’t expected to bring any significant financial returns soon. Its high price point likely means mass market adoption is unlikely, but Apple is working on less expensive future versions expected as soon as 2025, the Journal previously reported. Developers in the metaverse also hope Apple’s entry will mark the beginning of mainstream adoption for the nascent market.

For now, Apple’s moves into this market offer a potential window in the first steps of a future replacement of the iPhone.

“We believe AR adoption will be a long term journey and not financially material to Apple in the near term,” Toni Sacconaghi, an analyst for Bernstein, wrote in a recent investor note.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nice rebound week. Still not at my fall 2021 highs, but slowly creeping up there. Lots of money on the sidelines. But feeling more confident lately to plunge back in. Soon.

HoodWinked

Boomers really do suck. The silent generation set them up for success and they horded all of it LOL.

ZTI7G7k.png

Looks like they're spending it though to make up for lost time, cruise stocks this year have been insane.

DPQVIqE.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Boomers really do suck. The silent generation set them up for success and they horded all of it LOL.

ZTI7G7k.png

Looks like they're spending it though to make up for lost time, cruise stocks this year have been insane.

DPQVIqE.png
Makes sense the Silent Generation doesn't have a lot. As per the box it's people born before 1946. A lot of them are dead and passed the wealth to next in line family. Boomers.

A good chunk of Boomers are still alive. And retired which means they maxed out their career earnings so they will have a lot.

At some point, their box will get smaller and Gen X will take over.

hollams

Gold Member
This year has been very good to me in trading stocks even though I made a stupid mistake. 2022 was horrible as I saw my balance down 35K but I held on and it got back to even and with NVDA going crazy I'm up quite a bit.

My stupid mistake was selling a covered call on MSFT stock at $300 I had never really done that before and thought I'd try that since MSFT hadn't ever got above 300 in a long while and thought I'd make some quick money. Of course, I didn't pay attention, and I placed it the day before the latest earnings and it jumped over 300. I had chances to buy it back and close it out, but I didn't and the option eventually expired at $312 and I had to exercise my shares. I did make a nice profit at $300 so I wasn't too hurt but boy did it rocket even more after that.

I also own some AT&T stock and I've been down about 4k since they cut their dividend two years ago that sent the stock sliding. Recently the stock plummeted to below $15 due to some news article about Amazon maybe offering their Prime members phone plan and talking to some rival phone companies. I thought that it was way oversold so I decided to take my profits from MFST and buy back into T just to try and get back to even. I also bought 3 call options at $16 expire June 30 over a month ago. T did start rising and it got above $16 for quite a few days and it had been staying there for about 2 weeks. On June 29 the stock closed at $16 so I was hoping it would turn out good.

Of course it didn't. As soon as the market opened on Friday the 30th it dropped .15 and closed at 15.95. Of course today it closed at $16.15. There is a part of me that thinks the system is rigged. lol...

Fools idol

Banned
The artificial intelligence boom is probably going to create more wealth than the internet and tech boom of the past few decades combined.

It's important to be positionned for the course, imo. Worrying about weekly / monthly even yearly fluctuation is pointless, the wealthiest investors I know and the ones in the public eye rarely make trades, holding for 10+ years or more in positions that are long haul.

That said, just own the companies that will benefit form it most. I would say it's

$MSFT
$NVDA
$TSLA
$NET

A short list indeed, but each of those companies has a large exposure to artificial intelligence and GPT. They will likely outperform massively in the very long term due to that fact. I don't necessarily care about the opinions of analysts on their 'current' or future valuation projections. I will just continue to own and accumilate. My Nvidia ownership started in 2014, and has grown thousands of percent over the last 10 years.

Last edited:

dave_d

Anybody got an intro on this? I was thinking of starting an individual account and when I do that on Ameritrade it mentions reporting taxes myself. I know you don't pay on unrealized gains but you do on dividends. Do you pay if you get paid dividends as shares?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At some point AT&T and Verizon are good bets? Both paying a 7% div. AT&T at a 29 year low according to an article. Verizon at a 10 year low.

AT&T at $14.50. Verizon at $34.

Last edited:

Mistake

Hey everyone, I'm new to this stuff, but finally have some financial freedom and want to get into things. I do have a long time habit of analyzing the market with great success, just wasn't in the position to invest :messenger_frowning_

Anyway, I'm looking for useful software to keep track of things, and some reputable institution to invest through. I originally planned on using TD Ameritrade, but they don't do it anymore. Thanks

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hey everyone, I'm new to this stuff, but finally have some financial freedom and want to get into things. I do have a long time habit of analyzing the market with great success, just wasn't in the position to invest :messenger_frowning_

Anyway, I'm looking for useful software to keep track of things, and some reputable institution to invest through. I originally planned on using TD Ameritrade, but they don't do it anymore. Thanks
Robinhood for short-medium term, Schwab or Fidelity for long-term, Vanguard for retirement funds.

GHG

Interactive brokers.

Mistake

So I opened a robinhood and got a free stock, but where does it say the amount you initially bought for? I can't find it. Only said in the beginning.

Last edited:
So I opened a robinhood and got a free stock, but where does it say the amount you initially bought for? I can't find it. Only said in the beginning.

You should see a Gains/Losses section (sorry, I don't use Robinhood), that should give you your cost basis or the price you originally got it for.

Mistake

You should see a Gains/Losses section (sorry, I don't use Robinhood), that should give you your cost basis or the price you originally got it for.
It does have the percent gain/loss, but it doesn't have the bought in number anywhere. Of course I can figure that out with some quick math, but it could be annoying if you have multiple different stocks

Last edited:

Billbofet

If you go to that specific stock in your holdings, it will be listed as your "Average Cost" so it levels out the cost if you buy the stock at different times.
Hope that helps. If you get a free stock, it won't show the cost - at least I think so as it's been a while.

Mistake

If you go to that specific stock in your holdings, it will be listed as your "Average Cost" so it levels out the cost if you buy the stock at different times.
Hope that helps. If you get a free stock, it won't show the cost - at least I think so as it's been a while.
Yeah, I was just thinking there was probably something I'm missing if you buy more of the same stuff. That number is it

HoodWinked

markets down because of downgrade. they see recession but also could be a way to kick a black swan or this just rebounds tomorrow. so basically could mean nothing.

Mistake

So I made a schwab, fidelity, and robinhood, but I have to say, schwab is a complete bitch right off the bat, so I closed my account. Sending me letters to my address saying they can't verify my address. Wtf? How did I get the mail then? They wanted me to send a copy of my license, after I already gave my whole social and everything else. Reminded me of paypal which I closed for similar reasons

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So I made a schwab, fidelity, and robinhood, but I have to say, schwab is a complete bitch right off the bat, so I closed my account. Sending me letters to my address saying they can't verify my address. Wtf? How did I get the mail then? They wanted me to send a copy of my license, after I already gave my whole social and everything else. Reminded me of paypal which I closed for similar reasons
You generally want financial institutions holding large sums of your money to verify your identity and do things by the book!

Liljagare

Also, as a word of caution, make doubly sure to check out how things work when you croak. Doesn't matter where you live, but if you are holding, make damn sure you know the ins and outs for any family you would like to try to give money to in your will, or, as is allowed in alot of nations, transfer on death accounts.

Just had to go through a huge mess myself, from a relative that wanted to do good, but, lets just say, it worked out less than ideal for all of the surviving family, there are fucking tax traps built into almost every system on the planet.

Mistake

You generally want financial institutions holding large sums of your money to verify your identity and do things by the book!
I get that, but fidelity has been all around easier. It probably doesn't help I actually am moving around, but I can foresee "technical difficulties" down the road if it's this much a pain from the start. I transferred large sums of money when I dealt with paypal, but they started pulling the same crap and tried holding my money for 6 months. If schwab wanted, they could have sent a pin on the letter at least.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I get that, but fidelity has been all around easier. It probably doesn't help I actually am moving around, but I can foresee "technical difficulties" down the road if it's this much a pain from the start. I transferred large sums of money when I dealt with paypal, but they started pulling the same crap and tried holding my money for 6 months. If schwab wanted, they could have sent a pin on the letter at least.
PayPal has its own special wonkiness with those six month account locks, these institutions won’t do that kind of thing arbitrarily.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Disney down to $82. A recent low. At some point it'll be worth a buy for a rebound. Latest news is a cable dispute with Charter. Stock down 2% today.

Fools idol

Banned
Disney down to $82. A recent low. At some point it'll be worth a buy for a rebound. Latest news is a cable dispute with Charter. Stock down 2% today.
I lost money on Disney. At one point I was up about 40% and didnt lock in gains, ended up losing about 25% by the end and panic sold it during covid. Fml

Biggest IPO of the year is occurring very soon, word is it's this september, likely sept 14, if I'm not mistaken.

It's the ARM IPO

Top Bottom