• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Honest question, any truth to this?

Yes, it's true of every major corporation these days. Now the next question though is did the collapse happen because of this stuff, it's unprovable. Even if the head of risk management was a complete incompetent and hired only because of their diverse bonafides, it's impossible to say that the collapse happened because of this.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

Fools idol

Banned
Credit Suisse AT1 bond holders are getting fucked. ($17.24 billion) of its Additional Tier 1 debt will be written down to zero on the orders of the Swiss regulator lmao

This is such a fucking mess man I am starting to lose track of all the fires. Deutsche bank is now in trouble, if that goes down it will make the CS and SVB crisis look like a fart in the wind.

Money in united states banks is also deeply unsafe, and I think the only option they have now is to nationalise. I saw that Buffett himself flew out all the regional bank CEO's to Omaha for talks. Likely we are going to see some of them just flat out go bust, they cant all be saved. Move your money into the big fish if you are banking there.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Gamestop up massive 47% afterhours. big EPS beat.

725Zbjc.png

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am just glad I don't have over $250k in any single bank right now. Getting close in one, but I can easily move money if I have to.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

I was completely wrong about Facebook, I did a perfect Cramer. I was expecting it to do well in 2022 and struggle in 2023 but it was the opposite.
If you caught the bottom you would have almost 2.5x your money.

hVuG7yz.png

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was completely wrong about Facebook, I did a perfect Cramer. I was expecting it to do well in 2022 and struggle in 2023 but it was the opposite.
If you caught the bottom you would have almost 2.5x your money.

hVuG7yz.png
If you could time the market you’d be the most successful investor in history. No one can.

HoodWinked

T-Bill yields are pretty attractive. What is this indicating? I think alot of money is going into these treasuries due to fear but generally being contrarian is often the right move. How will this be exploited by institutional investors? Are they going to make the US default or something?

dbeEuLQ.png

Fools idol

Banned
I am going to make a bold prediction here.... the debt ceiling deadline is looming and I honestly think we are going to see a default.

It will be absolute armageddon, but I have suspicions the elites want it to happen for the long term plan. What it means for the plebs is quite bad, so we should be prepared if I am right for what is going to come.

The US dollar is rapidly losing it's status as the 'global currency' per se. Saudi Arabia is considering accepting the Yuan instead of the U.S. dollar. BRICS nations have had enough and are moving off it as fast as possible. In a scenario where the US dollar declines rapidly in value against other currencies, there are a lot of systems that will 'break'. I do find the whole conspiracy of 'global reset coming' from the Klaus Schwab bridgade nauseating but we are starting to see many indicators that point to this actually being more than a theory.

J3H4qOH.png

jIdLPZl.jpg

U.S. sovereign credit default swaps are soaring ahead of debt ceiling showdown. Governments and financial instituions are seemingly not taking steps that one would expect towards averting this from hapening. The federal reserve continues to expand it's balance sheet, telling us one thing while doing another. You certainly have to at least see the possibility that they want the whole thing to pop, so that we can start anew on a better system. This one was always destined to fail.

The man that stepped in with a plan to delay this last time was a man called Alan Greenspan. As Chairman of the Federal Reserve during the financial crisis of 2008, Alan Greenspan took actions such as lowering interest rates, providing liquidity to the financial system, and coordinating efforts with other central banks to prevent a complete collapse of the global financial system. While his actions helped to mitigate the crisis, some critics argue that his policies also contributed to the buildup of risky financial practices that leads to the crisis we are now facing. He himself famously said to the following Janet Yellen at a dinner party in late 2008 'this is the last time we can kick the can down the road'. He knew what his actions would eventually lead to, and was complicit in putting the final nail in the US dollar.

The fed is out of options. The only thing that solves this problem is either print more money, which they simply can not do because of hyperinflation, or let the entire system puke. A true reset. It will be devastating for many, and lives lost and wars fought for power, no question. I believe that it is now an inevitable outcome.

So your first question may be, what does it mean if the US does default on its debts and in turn, the US dollar collapses?

3 key things imho:

• Widespread economic instability and uncertainty, as the US dollar is the world's primary reserve currency and a key component of international trade and finance.
The US dollar is the most widely used currency for international transactions, and many countries hold large amounts of US dollars in their reserves. If the US dollar were to collapse, it would cause uncertainty and chaos in global financial markets, as countries and investors would need to rapidly shift their holdings and adjust to a new currency regime. This would likely cause significant disruptions in international trade and finance, potentially leading to a global recession.

• A sharp decline in the value of US assets and investments, potentially leading to a severe recession or depression.
The US dollar is also a key component of the global financial system, and many assets and investments are denominated in US dollars. If the US dollar were to collapse, the value of these assets and investments would likely decline sharply, leading to significant losses for investors and potentially triggering a severe recession or depression in the United States and around the world.

• Increased global tensions and geopolitical instability, as other countries would need to adapt to a new economic landscape and potentially jockey for position in a new world order.
Finally, if the US dollar were to collapse, it would likely lead to significant changes in the global balance of power and influence. Other countries would need to adapt to a new economic landscape, potentially leading to increased competition and tension as they jockey for position in a new world order. This could have significant geopolitical implications, potentially leading to conflict and instability in various parts of the world.

Of course these are just opinion backups on what I believe we are highly likely to see. It is not intended to scare anyone, but by nature of the discussion, that is also inevitable.

Last edited:

Tams

So I just recently got into stock and share trading since doing it as a non-Japanese person in Japan was almost impossible and a huge bother.

My portfolio has mostly just gone down, lol.

Edit: Just checked now. Both AMD and Nvidia have fucking tanked, and Microsoft less so.

My National Grid investment is doing alright though.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I am going to make a bold prediction here.... the debt ceiling deadline is looming and I honestly think we are going to see a default.

It will be absolute armageddon, but I have suspicions the elites want it to happen for the long term plan. What it means for the plebs is quite bad, so we should be prepared if I am right for what is going to come.

The US dollar is rapidly losing it's status as the 'global currency' per se. Saudi Arabia is considering accepting the Yuan instead of the U.S. dollar. BRICS nations have had enough and are moving off it as fast as possible. In a scenario where the US dollar declines rapidly in value against other currencies, there are a lot of systems that will 'break'. I do find the whole conspiracy of 'global reset coming' from the Klaus Schwab bridgade nauseating but we are starting to see many indicators that point to this actually being more than a theory.

J3H4qOH.png

jIdLPZl.jpg

U.S. sovereign credit default swaps are soaring ahead of debt ceiling showdown. Governments and financial instituions are seemingly not taking steps that one would expect towards averting this from hapening. The federal reserve continues to expand it's balance sheet, telling us one thing while doing another. You certainly have to at least see the possibility that they want the whole thing to pop, so that we can start anew on a better system. This one was always destined to fail.

The man that stepped in with a plan to delay this last time was a man called Alan Greenspan. As Chairman of the Federal Reserve during the financial crisis of 2008, Alan Greenspan took actions such as lowering interest rates, providing liquidity to the financial system, and coordinating efforts with other central banks to prevent a complete collapse of the global financial system. While his actions helped to mitigate the crisis, some critics argue that his policies also contributed to the buildup of risky financial practices that leads to the crisis we are now facing. He himself famously said to the following Janet Yellen at a dinner party in late 2008 'this is the last time we can kick the can down the road'. He knew what his actions would eventually lead to, and was complicit in putting the final nail in the US dollar.

The fed is out of options. The only thing that solves this problem is either print more money, which they simply can not do because of hyperinflation, or let the entire system puke. A true reset. It will be devastating for many, and lives lost and wars fought for power, no question. I believe that it is now an inevitable outcome.

So your first question may be, what does it mean if the US does default on its debts and in turn, the US dollar collapses?

3 key things imho:

• Widespread economic instability and uncertainty, as the US dollar is the world's primary reserve currency and a key component of international trade and finance.
The US dollar is the most widely used currency for international transactions, and many countries hold large amounts of US dollars in their reserves. If the US dollar were to collapse, it would cause uncertainty and chaos in global financial markets, as countries and investors would need to rapidly shift their holdings and adjust to a new currency regime. This would likely cause significant disruptions in international trade and finance, potentially leading to a global recession.

• A sharp decline in the value of US assets and investments, potentially leading to a severe recession or depression.
The US dollar is also a key component of the global financial system, and many assets and investments are denominated in US dollars. If the US dollar were to collapse, the value of these assets and investments would likely decline sharply, leading to significant losses for investors and potentially triggering a severe recession or depression in the United States and around the world.

• Increased global tensions and geopolitical instability, as other countries would need to adapt to a new economic landscape and potentially jockey for position in a new world order.
Finally, if the US dollar were to collapse, it would likely lead to significant changes in the global balance of power and influence. Other countries would need to adapt to a new economic landscape, potentially leading to increased competition and tension as they jockey for position in a new world order. This could have significant geopolitical implications, potentially leading to conflict and instability in various parts of the world.

Of course these are just opinion backups on what I believe we are highly likely to see. It is not intended to scare anyone, but by nature of the discussion, that is also inevitable.

This is obviously a ploy to reach the ~20 or so Gaffers reading this to make them panic-sell so you can capitalize, isn't it? Lol

But, seriously, how do you mitigate against this happening as an individual? Bank on China being the financial hub moving forward and put all your money into Yuan?

Fools idol

Banned
This is obviously a ploy to reach the ~20 or so Gaffers reading this to make them panic-sell so you can capitalize, isn't it? Lol

But, seriously, how do you mitigate against this happening as an individual? Bank on China being the financial hub moving forward and put all your money into Yuan?

I am personally holding physical gold and a mixture of forreign currencies and of course, the old go-to, plenty of real estate. Nothing holds wealth long term like bricks and mortar. I also own several highly collectible super and classic cars.

I understand that isn't possible for many but you are at risk keeping money in banks and or in one currency. I do also have short positions on the index but I believe it is morally wrong to place on individual companies.

Last edited:

J3H4qOH.png

jIdLPZl.jpg

3 key things imho:

Glad I read this before smoking up.

Fools idol

Banned

looks like the fed's little goblin agrees with me today

they know what is coming, but can / will the powers that be stop it? can't wait to see what rabbit they pull from the hat, because it is going to have to be a big one

Last edited:

GHG

Everyone's earnings "look" great thanks to sandbagged guidance and estimates.

Be very careful and pay attention to operating income trends.

HoodWinked

I can't make sense of the Tbill rates. 4 week went from 3.9 to 5.9. But then 13 week hardly any change.

5Jyudbk.png

Edit:
Okay it turns out it has to do with maturity date of June and possible default.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I am just glad I don't have over $250k in any single bank right now. Getting close in one, but I can easily move money if I have to.
You can increase FDIC insurance by adding 2 or more beneficiaries to an account. I originally heard Suze Orman discussing it with the former chair of the FDIC on her podcast and then I called the FDIC myself and they also confirmed it. 1-877-ASK-FDIC (877-275-3342)

single owner account with 1 or no beneficiaries = $250k coverage
2 beneficiaries = $500k coverage
3 = $750k
4 = 1M
5 = 1.25m
(up to 5 beneficiaries max)

There's also a tool on the fdic website where you can enter your banking info confirm this too: https://edie.fdic.gov/

Also, I'll add this for reference as well:

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned

J3H4qOH.png

jIdLPZl.jpg

3 key things imho:

Time is running out. Very few media outlets daring to cover this now. Black swan event incoming...

Ellery

J3H4qOH.png

jIdLPZl.jpg

3 key things imho:

Great post. I do agree that at some point they are going to launch a system change to a more digital currency that is easily tracked. It is the long term plan of central banks (I think they publicly even said so)

I do think about this a lot too, but I often catch my mind making connections that aren't there or I hope for things that are unlikely.

What I wonder is : Why would the rich/powerful/influential ("elite") want change? They are making billions and billions from the slavery of paper chains that hold the masses. They are pulling off all their moves in broad daylight. They are living like kings. All of them are basically insider trading each single opportunity they get. Pelosi has like 300m $ in her bank on a salary that would usually take 100+ years to accumulate such wealth. All of the politicians are in the pockets of big companies already.

It is true that the US Dollar is the enemy #1 for China, Russia and many other non western countries (the US dollar is also harmful for many western countries since the US only has interests and no friends), but it is still extremely strong. They may have printed trillions, but so did the EU, Japan, Australia, England etc.

The US has run a lottery winner's life for the past 50 years since they decoupled the dollar from the gold so they could print money to the detriment of the rest of the world. The power of being the global reserve currency is probably the big next battle of our lives, but I don't know how the US could let it collapse and have a system change right now. It would be a gigantic global shitshow and everyone would stop trusting the US? No idea

Honestly I feel like there is little chance to any huge armageddon event happening in that regard. I expect them to raise it again like they always do and find other ways to kick the can down the road or trick. They always find new ways to find miracle emergency funds for something or rebalance something.

Fools idol

Banned
original_527360981.png

This week is probably the last chance you will get to dump your stocks if you want out.. I hope I am wrong but unfortunately have been right about the past few crashes.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You can increase FDIC insurance by adding 2 or more beneficiaries to an account. I originally heard Suze Orman discussing it with the former chair of the FDIC on her podcast and then I called the FDIC myself and they also confirmed it. 1-877-ASK-FDIC (877-275-3342)

single owner account with 1 or no beneficiaries = $250k coverage
2 beneficiaries = $500k coverage
3 = $750k
4 = 1M
5 = 1.25m
(up to 5 beneficiaries max)

There's also a tool on the fdic website where you can enter your banking info confirm this too: https://edie.fdic.gov/

Also, I'll add this for reference as well:

Regarding bank protection, everyone should also look into banks/credit unions that have 100% deposit coverage. I use Ideal Savings out of Manitoba. When I buy investment properties, I need to stockpile a bunch of cash for down payments (a typical new condo is 20-25% cash down over a year paid every 3 months). I cant afford to risk it in the stock market. I put it into a credit union high interest savings account that is 100% coverage. They messed around with their rates, so now they are low but prepandemic they were paying almost 3% for a savings account. Now they pay 1% and 5% if you lock into a term deposit. Not a big deal as I already moved my money out if it.

I didnt use them because I thought banks would go broke like recently. I just did it due to higher savings rates over my bank. But looking back the guarantee now is good since you never know if a bank will fail in modern day.

On a side note.... FUCK. Good and bad in a way, but I bought Absolute Software a year or two ago at a high price. Dropped like crazy, rebounded, drop again. They got offered a buy out, but at a lower price than what I got into. Essentially locking in a loss. Only $1500, but still kind of sucks when there's no hope to get back to break even.

Last edited:

Tams

Only just started investing, as doing it as foreigner in Japan was just too much hassle.

My portfolio is doing well! All up, other than BAE Systems, but they are locked into that sweet government moneypot, so I'm not concerned about them.

Microsoft has been my best performer, followed by AMD. Nvidia have been a bit of a disappointment.

Pigenator

Put some $3K between SCHD & ABBV couple of days ago.
Thinking I'll focus more on dividend stocks for the time being. Currently standing @ ~$1600/year from dividends, hopefully be able to pass $2000 within the next year or so.

Tams

Put some $3K between SCHD & ABBV couple of days ago.
Thinking I'll focus more on dividend stocks for the time being. Currently standing @ ~$1600/year from dividends, hopefully be able to pass $2000 within the next year or so.
Any recommendations for dividend stock? And how much did you buy to get that return?

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Any recommendations for dividend stock? And how much did you buy to get that return?
I'm not Pigenator Pigenator , but I took Fools idol Fools idol 's advice from another page on here and went with a few from Dividend Kings:

Picked about 10 of those a few months ago. I put a few hundred or so into each when I can. It's nice seeing that drip-feed of "Dividend or Interest Paid" notifications on my E-Trade account lol

Tams

I'm not Pigenator Pigenator , but I took Fools idol Fools idol 's advice from another page on here and went with a few from Dividend Kings:

Picked about 10 of those a few months ago. I put a few hundred or so into each when I can. It's nice seeing that drip-feed of "Dividend or Interest Paid" notifications on my E-Trade account lol

Thanks. I'm looking to build up my portfolio, especially long term. I've been sitting watching on the sidelines for nearly a decade.

I'll probably get some Vanguard as well, but those I'll just stick in an ISA.

Pigenator

I'm holding the following: ABBV (pharma company), SCHD (dividend ETF), JNJ (pharma), PEP (pepsico)
Also holding MO, O stocks but they're pretty stale growth wise, and not at the best prices ATM so I dunno if I would start position in them at the moment.
Also holding many other tech stocks (apple, google, microsoft etc)
Overall my portfolio is $71k as of writing this reply, with an avg dividend yield of 2.4%

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I pulled out nearly all my non-401k investments last week into cash, leaving AMD, NVDA, and MSFT, since they're killing it lately.

My best-guess as to what will happen in the coming weeks is: We see some market panic as we get closer to the debt default deadline without a resolution, but then Congress pulls a rabbit out of the hat by the end of this month and we don't default, at which point I'll re-invest similarly to what I had in before to "buy the dip". The "walk away in May" adage played a part in my decision, too.

I set up a mock market account on Investopedia with what my original investments were before pulling out to track if I'm making the right decision. So far: yes.

Worst case if the default doesn't happen: I could miss out on gains if I turn out to be wrong and there's no "dip".

Worst case if the default does happen...well, I (and most of us) will have bigger problems to solve than what I do with my non-401k investment money.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned

They are now happily telling us what is coming. For those who are listening, and those that are not, my earlier post explains it the best I can.

There is no rabbit to pull from a hat - that was already done. Protect yourselves and your portfolios!

Ellery

In the next 6 weeks some people are going to make an incredible amount of money with options and others are going to lose it all.

Call or puts no idea. Raise the debt ceiling? Turn on the printers? Let the US actually default? Inflation? Deflation? Stagflation? Recession? Civil unrest? How far would this go?

My personal bet is that they don't want to risk the comfy cushions they sit on. Whatever that means in their world I have no idea. Default would definitely trigger a gigantic move downwards for US indices, but I am not so sure that raising the debt limit would actually make stocks enter a long lasting bull market again. We still have the same problems of so much debt that interest payments on them are now going to hurt after having 14 years of nearly free money.

The only thing I am convinced of is that the politicians involved will find bullshit excuses for whatever they are going to do (or not going to do) and if things look bad then they blame the opposing party.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Do you all think a default will have any effect on whether interest rates continue to rise?

Last edited:

Ellery

Interesting read. Though I don't expect it to go that far

Do you all think a default will have any effect on whether interest rates continue to rise?

Well good question. Since the government isn't paying it's interest and debt obligation anymore and can't issue new bonds the interest rate isn't super relevant for the US in that scenario (I guess?).

However like FoolsIdol said the US default would be such a catastrophe that nobody cares anymore if interest rate is 0 % or 5 % at that point.

I am not even sure what events would unfold (some would be instant and others would take a while to be felt) after a default of the most powerful empire in the history of the world since the US has never defaulted and always raised it.

if the US defaults the interest rates will be the least of concerns for the fed lol.

I am almost ready to prepare the Fallout Vault.

If things go south can I hide in your vault and be your car cleaning guy. The Porsche GT3 and Ferrari get a lot of love form me. Pretty please :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Nvidia: The Way Money's Meant To Be Made™

People on gaming side going to be malding when they realize Nvidia has no incentive to lower consumer GPU prices EVER.

And AMD are just going to keep on pricing their GPU's slightly less than Nvidia because why wouldn't they take free money? They aren't stupid.

Last edited:

Reallink

Generative AI has an unlimited number of potential applications (in every industry) and requires massive amounts of hardware to both train AND generate, so I'd be cautious dismissing it out of hand. The corporations of the world have a lot more money to spend on "GPU's" than Crypto Bros did and they're far more reliable customers in the mid/long terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Generative AI has an unlimited number of potential applications (in every industry) and requires massive amounts of hardware to both train AND generate, so I'd be cautious dismissing it out of hand. The corporations of the world have a lot more money to spend on "GPU's" than Crypto Bros did and they're far more reliable customers in the mid/long terms.

This is true however it doesn't mean that the move Nvidia has just had isn't insanely overdone. It's now trading at very high multiples and you'd have to be stupid to be buying up here for the long term.

It's the new wall street darling, it's the new tesla, but it won't last forever and when the music stops it will be brutal.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I moved my retirement funds to all principal fixed accounts. So basically savings with Fidelity. I wish I could pull out 100k or so and dump it into a high interest savings account instead but taxes and penalties......

Maybe I'll avoid a catastrophe, maybe I'll miss out on some kind of wild rebound. But figuring better safe than sorry. When you're staring down the barrel of potentially losing tens of thousands of dollars in the short term I can't say I care. Better safe than sorry. Besides, I take no losses this way.

Top Bottom