• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Any reason why this wouldn’t be a good time to buy tech? I can see some of the flavor of the month stuff eating shit and trading sideways for a while but this seems like a good time to buy into your Apples, Googles and Microsofts now that they’re more fairly priced.

ManofOne

Plus Member

J.P. Morgan backs reflation trade to overcome current COVID speed bump: At the Open​

• The rise in COVID cases and concern of new variants is keeping stock index futures in check this morning. Cases are rising in Japan, a new variant is already hitting India with a devastating second wave and there are worries about vaccine-resistant variants as well.
  • S&P futures (SPX) (NYSEARCA:SPY) and Dow futures (INDU) (NYSEARCA:DIA) are off slightly. Nasdaq 100 futures (NDX:IND) (NASDAQ:QQQ) are the weakest.
  • The 10-year Treasury yield is up 1 basis point to 1.57% (NYSEARCA:TBT) (NASDAQ:TLT).
  • But with a broader progress on the COVID front, the recovery and reflation trades will be back and stronger than they were to start the year, J.P. Morgan says.
  • That will be accompanies by yields rising and rotation from growth, quality and defensives to cyclicals and value, accelerating into late spring and summer.
  • Reopening and reflation "are not priced in, as we can see a strong reaction on incremental news flow related to reopening and COVID-19," J.P. Morgan strategist Marko Kolanovic writes in a note. "In the last few weeks, the reflation trade reversed, with yields dropping on technical flows (e.g., CTAs), increase of cases (primarily India and Turkey) and re-grossing of long-short growth trades at the back of the decline in the VIX."
  • "With US and Europe cases now declining, the fast pace of vaccination and seasonal tailwinds (northern hemisphere), we believe that the reopening and reflation trade will resume with a move that will be bigger than we saw early this year. COVID-19 recovery this spring/summer will take place in stages with the US recovering first, followed by Europe and finally Emerging Markets."
  • The S&P is now about 5% below J.P. Morgan's year-end target (which was the highest on the Street when issued late last year), but there is more room to run in certain sectors, Kolanovic says.
  • Those are: Energy (NYSEARCA:XLE), Financials (NYSEARCA:XLF), Materials (NYSEARCA:XLB), Industrials (NYSEARCA:XLI), small-caps (NYSEARCA:IWM) and high-beta stocks.
  • Brian Levitt, global market strategist at Invesco, agrees that there are tail risks like COVID, but "the base case is still very promising for the U.S. economy and financial assets."
  • Financial conditions are still very easy in the U.S., corporate bond spreads are still tight and the yield curve is still steep, he told Bloomberg.
  • William Blair, which is also recommending going overweight cyclical sectors, outlined yesterday three things creating a "perfect storm" for reflation.

ManofOne

Plus Member
This has been coming for a while.

The only question I have is how long will it last, let's find out I guess.

Not long. Tech will lag for the year excluding mega and large caps.

I betting on 4.0% inflation plus taxes year end.

I think ARKK averaged down or someone big. All their stocks in their portoflio are soft compared to the wider market.

I'll take it. I saw the share price and I saw that their ER wasn't as bad as people first thought so I bought the dip in pre-market.

Will it last? Maybe not, still have a super long term horizon on this, even if people here don't believe the hype. I think they'll re-invest in themselves for quite awhile and one day they'll flip the switch a la Amazon and people will be like "why didn't I get in on that?"

ManofOne

Plus Member
I'll take it. I saw the share price and I saw that their ER wasn't as bad as people first thought so I bought the dip in pre-market.

Will it last? Maybe not, still have a super long term horizon on this, even if people here don't believe the hype. I think they'll re-invest in themselves for quite awhile and one day they'll flip the switch a la Amazon and people will be like "why didn't I get in on that?"

That's pretty sound thinking. I think that at this price its a good buy anything below 20 frankly.

ManofOne

Plus Member

Palantir accepts bitcoin payments, could invest in cryptocurrency​

• During the first quarter earnings call, Palantir (NYSE:PLTR) reveals it accepts bitcoin as payment from customers and is considering investing in Bitcoin or another form of cryptocurrency.
  • Last month, Palantir co-founder Peter Thiel controversially said that while he was pro-Bitcoin and cryptocurrency, he wondered "whether if at this point Bitcoin should also be thought of in part as a Chinese financial weapon against the U.S."
  • Turning back to the earnings, Q1 billings were up 248% Y/Y to $362M, which resulted in the stronger than expected cash flow.
  • Palantir says commercial opportunities in the U.S. and U.K. have increased 2.5x since February. Active commercial pilots more than doubled during that period.
  • The total remaining deal value at the end of Q1 was $2.8B, up 40% on the year.
  • Annualized revenue run rate for U.S. customers was $800M.
  • Palantir shares are down 5.5% just after the opening bell.

ManofOne

Plus Member

Cathie Wood's ARK shed a third of its Apple holdings as its flagship fund keeps slumping​

• ARK Investment Management's ARK Innovation ETF (NYSEARCA:ARKK) is off another 5% in premarket trading, falling back to levels not seen in nearly six months as Big Tech and momentum names continue to slide.
  • Large holdings are also getting hit hard before the bell. Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA), Square (NYSE:SQ) and Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU) are all down more than 5%.
  • ARKK is below $100 for the first time since November 16.
  • On Monday, the ARK Fintech Innovation ETF (NYSEARCA:ARKF), sold 87,560 shares of Apple amid the tech selloff, more than 30% of its total holdings. ARKF is the only ARK ETF that owns apple.
  • ARKF still holds 200,387 shares of Apple, according to Bloomberg.
  • Wood has been selling bigger, liquid tech names of late to buy smaller companies on the dips, such as newly-public Coinbase (NASDAQ:COIN) and Palantir (NYSE:PLTR), off more than 20% year to date.
  • On Monday Wood bought 28,011 shares of ARK's own 3D Printing ETF (BATS:PRNT) for the ARK Space Exploration ETF (BATS:ARKX).

GHG

Cathie Wood's ARK shed a third of its Apple holdings as its flagship fund keeps slumping​

• ARK Investment Management's ARK Innovation ETF (NYSEARCA:ARKK) is off another 5% in premarket trading, falling back to levels not seen in nearly six months as Big Tech and momentum names continue to slide.
  • Large holdings are also getting hit hard before the bell. Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA), Square (NYSE:SQ) and Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU) are all down more than 5%.
  • ARKK is below $100 for the first time since November 16.
  • On Monday, the ARK Fintech Innovation ETF (NYSEARCA:ARKF), sold 87,560 shares of Apple amid the tech selloff, more than 30% of its total holdings. ARKF is the only ARK ETF that owns apple.
  • ARKF still holds 200,387 shares of Apple, according to Bloomberg.
  • Wood has been selling bigger, liquid tech names of late to buy smaller companies on the dips, such as newly-public Coinbase (NASDAQ:COIN) and Palantir (NYSE:PLTR), off more than 20% year to date.
  • On Monday Wood bought 28,011 shares of ARK's own 3D Printing ETF (BATS:PRNT) for the ARK Space Exploration ETF (BATS:ARKX).

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

She's selling one of the few things in their portfolio that isn't massively overvalued and speculative to buy even more overvalued, overhyped and speculative plays?

Weird flex but ok.

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

She's selling one of the few things in their portfolio that isn't massively overvalued and speculative to buy even more overvalued, overhyped and speculative plays?

Weird flex but ok.
Needs more money to keep adding to her PLTR position.

Was up down 3% in pre-market and now I'm green 1.4% ... go figure. Thanks to PLTR and AUPH bouncing.

GHG

Dammit. My hunch for PLTR seems to be fine. Sucks I don't have free capital to buy more.

It's early days still.

It's currently trading below all of it's support levels in the last 6 months. Needs to get back above $22 ASAP or it's likely to get worse before it gets better.

ManofOne

Plus Member
But is it over? I was hoping for Apple to drop to $120 support today.

I don't know. I read an interest post made by Ed Yardini a few weeks back saying the market is not making sense now. It more reactive than ever and any bad news is leading to deeper selloffs than historical.

GHG

Lol, I recovered a lot. The tech sell off wasn't bad.

I have a feeling that the lows we observed just before the market opened today are what we will actually be seeing in a couple of weeks.

The only thing propping a lot of things up at the moment are the algos that automatically buy the moment things dip down into the "oversold territory".

QQQ May 4th - today (2h candles):

0u6aOXC.png

ARKK (for a "growth" perspective) May 4th - today (2h candles):

gRc356m.png

Any time RSI reaches the oversold territory there's a bounce for a handful of trading hours before the overall trend (downwards) resumes.

----

The reason the tech "recovery" has looked stronger today in comparison to the S&P and the Dow is because they are yet to reach the "oversold" territory, so the algos are yet to be "activated" in those respective stocks.

SPX May 4th - today (2h candles):

JnjKlgD.png

DJI May 4th - today (2h candles):

5Hdml3H.png

Ironically the DJI and SPX are what we would also want to see in the nasdaq from a long term health perspective. I fully expect them to both recover and go on to make new all time highs in the next couple of weeks while the nasdaq is more likely to continue on it's current downtrend yo yo-ing along the way. During this period they (the S&P and Dow) have not reached "oversold" territory and the overall uptrend is healthy.

That's what the charts are telling me anyway, of course some sort of news in the next couple of weeks could change everything.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
I have a feeling that the lows we observed just before the market opened today are what we will actually be seeing in a couple of weeks.

The only thing propping a lot of things up at the moment are the algos that automatically buy the moment things dip down into the "oversold territory".

QQQ May 4th - today (2h candles):

0u6aOXC.png

ARKK (for a "growth" perspective) May 4th - today (2h candles):

gRc356m.png

Any time RSI reaches the oversold territory there's a bounce for a handful of trading hours before the overall trend (downwards) resumes.

----

The reason the tech "recovery" has looked stronger today in comparison to the S&P and the Dow is because they are yet to reach the "oversold" territory, so the algos are yet to be "activated" in those respective stocks.

SPX May 4th - today (2h candles):

JnjKlgD.png

DJI May 4th - today (2h candles):

5Hdml3H.png

Ironically the DJI and SPX are what we would also want to see in the nasdaq from a long term health perspective. I fully expect them to both recover and go on to make new all time highs in the next couple of weeks while the nasdaq is more likely to continue on it's current downtrend yo yo-ing along the way. During this period they (the S&P and Dow) have not reached "oversold" territory and the overall uptrend is healthy.

That's what the charts are telling me anyway, of course some sort of news in the next couple of weeks could change everything.

I'm horrible with charts. I'm more economic and the economic theory is telling me brace for more pain by Q3 we should know more

ManofOne

Plus Member
For what it's worth I hope my sermon didn't hold you back. I like to see GAF bros getting paid, I'm somewhat less than enthusiastic about supporting the surveillance state.

PLTR has an earnings issue and a valuation issue. Its 100% not worth 30% but anything below 20 is a 4 star rating plus it has a narrow moat but still somewhat better than peers.

Reactions: GHG

ManofOne

Plus Member
If inflation is higher than expected tomm, that the second beat in 2 quarters and if the beat is considerable, then inflation is 100% NOT short term transitory.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
PREDICTING THE MARKETS. The jury is still out on whether the rebound in inflation resulting from the insanely stimulative combination of monetary and fiscal policies will be transitory or structural. However, there's now doubt that inflationary pressures are mounting rapidly. Consider the following from April's survey conducted by the National Federation of Small Business:

The net percent of owners raising average selling prices increased 10 points to 36%, the highest reading since the days of inflation fighting under Fed president Volcker. A net 36% plan price hikes (up 2 points), the highest since July 2008.

I'm still in the transitory inflation camp because I expect strong tech-led productivity growth in coming years as I discussed in my last two posts. However, the risks of a more protracted problem are rising.

This should heighten inflation jitters in the bond market. It is good news for investors who have been rotating out of high-multiple tech stocks into commodity-related ones.

hollams

Gold Member
Started off the day down $2k then rebounded around 2 to be up $100 then ended up down $400 after hours since GO released their data. Crazy.

ManofOne

Plus Member
WTF are they talking about? The US just printed 4 trillion last 2 years and may print another 6 trillion. They actually think this is "transitory?"

It depends on technology. Technology adoption is deflationary. One of the primary reasons you saw inflation remain sticky between 08 to 19 is because factors of production became easily transferable due to technology.

The marginal cost of production is reduced in that sense HOWEVER,

If factor inputs continue to rise then it isn't short term transitory, they're mostly expecting inflation to peak in Q4 2020 and then fall.

I'm thinking that it's way stickier than than that and will remain so for a few more quarters possibly into 2023.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
My concern isn't necessarily inflation but what inflation produces and they will pull rates forward which could lead to a lot of defaults in the margin debt arena.

We will see over the next 16 months.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Grocery Outlet reported earnings and they missed the sales estimate. EPS was in line. I got out last week at $41-ish. Made 10% in a short time.

Stock down 1.5% during the day and another 7.5% after hours. After hours price down to $37.50.

If this stock drops to the $30-33 range I might get back in. It trades at a $35-45 band.

Only watch out is the company is in high growth mode wanting to add another 10% stores. That might induce a stock offering diluting shares.

Not the type of stock that will self destruct to $12 but for a grocery retailer, more risky than the usual supermarket chain.

Last edited:

GHG

WTF are they talking about? The US just printed 4 trillion last 2 years and may print another 6 trillion. They actually think this is "transitory?"

Not only that, there's effectively a load of money printing machines out there in the form of crypto miners.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not only that, there's effectively a load of money printing machines out there in the form of crypto miners.
Well, if this data is accurate, crypto value is at $2.5 trillion, with the top 10 being about $2 trillion of it.

Today's Cryptocurrency Prices by Market Cap​

The global crypto market cap is $2.49T, a 5.14% increase over the last day.

Top Bottom