• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

HoodWinked

wild aftermarket activity cause earnings reports

Pinterest down 10% aftermarket
Amd beat earnings and is up 3% aftermarket
MSFT down 3% aftermarket
GOOGL up 3% aftermarket cause YouTube revenue

anybody getting in MNMD?
I actually had a client recently that was starting an investment fund around psychedelics and learned quite a bit. It gave me the impression though that the stigma is still really strong and if we're still struggling just to get weed legalized then I don't have much hope for it in the near term. Long term though? Yeah buddy.

Last edited:

GHG

You and me both lol.

If you want to buy then there will be plenty of opportunity to tomorrow and most likely the day after... The man himself is talking tomorrow.

tenor.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If you want to buy then there will be plenty of opportunity to tomorrow and most likely the day after... The man himself is talking tomorrow.

tenor.gif
More selling than buying. I have been really busy at work and missed the news cycle past few days.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

More selling than buying. I have been really busy at work and missed the news cycle past few days.

Ah fair enough. Honestly I think they are worth holding on to for years if you can't sell at the price you want to. Bigger things on the horizon once the money from certain contracts start rolling in.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Made some money on my Google calls and pins puts plus others.

Lost money on SPOT, MSFT

TX doing wonders as always.

BTW msft is fairly valued at 260.00 so this drop was expected.

GHG

What do you guys think about the method of selling puts to potentially average something down?

It's a position I have high conviction in long term but it's currently above the point where I'd like it to be in order to average down. If it got down to that price I'd buy anyway so it's a no brainer right?

What do you guys think about the method of selling puts to potentially average something down?

It's a position I have high conviction in long term but it's currently above the point where I'd like it to be in order to average down. If it got down to that price I'd buy anyway so it's a no brainer right?

I don't have a real thought on this the way you are describing it, but if I had more free time a project I wanted to work on was looking at what common low prices were in a year for ETF's I wanted to get into. It's probably useless though. What I would most likely end up doing is selling a put at a price where when the option expires the cash I got for the put is equal to somewhere between 2-4 percent annual interest, that way if it expires and I don't get the stock I beat "beat inflation" and didn't really lose anything.

Basically if I decide to sell options what I am looking at is, is what is my return on the cash if the option expires worthless. As long as I beat official inflation estimates I don't really care.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not stock related, but for those of you with mortgage renewals coming up, mortgage rates should be rock bottom. My friend locked in a rate at like 1.8% or something. Nuts. Mine is due next year. Assuming fixed rates are still down in the dumps, I'm going to lock in a fixed rate for the first time ever.

News was initially Bank of Canada doesn't want to touch rates till 2023, but recent news is they might itch it forward to 2022 as inflation perked up more than thought lately.

You guys with a mortgage to renew soon should look up rates and see if it's worth locking in a fixed or just letting it ride with a variable rate.

Last edited:
The American Families Plan might be the precursor to that rumored capital gains tax that was mentioned last week. I don't want to get into political bickering, so you can find info yourself on several news sites.

That probably won't affect any of us except ManofOne ManofOne =)

ManofOne

Plus Member
The American Families Plan might be the precursor to that rumored capital gains tax that was mentioned last week. I don't want to get into political bickering, so you can find info yourself on several news sites.

That probably won't affect any of us except ManofOne ManofOne =)

It's gonna hurt the market makers who help various funds, etc.

Just been putting some spare money into Supply Me Capital at the minute. They seem to be doing some interesting Monetization work with Blockchain and are currently trying to test their idea to US Companies as well. I personally think it's going to be a multi Billion Dollar company by 2023.

You might see them on the NASDAQ in a few years time. Currently on the LSE for now.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
you can buy fractional shares if you're platform allows it.
Ive had half a share for awhile. But I have been looking for something to go into after I made some money on some calls yesterday. I am not seeing any other options plays I can afford or like.

ManofOne

Plus Member
PCE results are coming out this week. I don't expect much change from the FED direction but interest rates futures are being pulled foward so that's something they should be looking at.

D-PLOT still hasn't changed but the Taylor curve is showing that the IR should change.

bigedole

Are there rumors of an amazon split? I bought 10 shares a very long time ago and have just been holding onto them for no real reason. I was so conflicted about selling when it reached 2k, then have been again since 3k lol. A split would be insane.

dem

Are there rumors of an amazon split? I bought 10 shares a very long time ago and have just been holding onto them for no real reason. I was so conflicted about selling when it reached 2k, then have been again since 3k lol. A split would be insane.

Holding for no real reason? Thats like saying you've been holding onto a money printing machine for no real reason.

Friends don't let friends sell Amazon.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Bought some shares of Coinbase for my dad’s portfolio. He is a crypto investor now. Kekeke

Top Bottom