• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2023 |OT| June 29th - July 13th

oSNlxph.png
I salute the effort you put into making this meme

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Didn't the Souls games have bigger discounts in the past?

Absolutely. A game like Dark Souls III could be had for prices between 10-15 euro for years. Cheapest price was about 7 euro from official key sellers. Then Namco raised the price in early January 2022 and again two months later and since then there have been almost no discounts. This 50% discount is the lowest price in 18 months....

Absolutely. A game like Dark Souls III could be had for prices between 10-15 euro for years. Cheapest price was about 7 euro from official key sellers. Then Namco raised the price in early January 2022 and again two months later and since then there have been almost no discounts. This 50% discount is the lowest price in 18 months....
Its funny that they raised the prices at right around the same time that all 3 games lost their multiplayer support for almost a year due to From's incompetence...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well played. It's my fault for not also saying that they shouldn't be cheaper in other places. I guess Valve Complete Pack still qualifies for that.
Yeah, just razzing you a bit - I know what you mean. Steam used to be THE place to get the deepest discounts during their sales. Nowadays, the big sales like the Summer Sale are just ways for publishers to put their games on the same discount you would normally see on the weekly or weekend sale. The magic is just that nearly every game in the store is on sale at the same time.

Besides the Steam store issuing refunds (which kinda hurts these sales in regards to timing discounts), it also still famously takes 30% from most publishers - while also giving them the ability to generate Steam keys for their games at no cost. The end result is that someone like Bandai Namco can sell Dark Souls II on a site like GameBillet for less than the price on Steam, and make more money from the sale because GameBillet only charges a small 5-10% fee.

All this combined means that publishers, especially the big publishers, will typically sus out how much profit they want to make from each storefront, and then adjust their sales price to match. This culminates in Steam's sale prices often being higher than sites like GameBillet or Fanantical or GMG - simply because those storefronts take less of a percentage.

Mr Hyde

My entire wishlist is on sale 😐 you guys didn't kid around when you said it's easy to lose yourself. The numbers add up quick. Need to be restrained here otherwise it will end up expensive, even if some game only goes for a couple of bucks.

ssringo

Sekiro 50% off again fuck off already Activision you greedy cunts
Haha, I've been waiting for years to buy No Man's Sky once it goes below 50% off.

The wait continues...

I know other stores have gone a little cheaper. I'm old and stubborn.

bender

What time is it?
Between Steam, NewEgg, Fanatical, InstantGaming and IndieGala, I think I'm done.

NINJA GAIDEN: Master Collection
BERSERK and the Band of the Hawk
BERSERK DLC
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course
ELDEN RING
DARK SOULS: REMASTERED
Persona 5 Royal
Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection
LISA the Joyful
Obra Dinn
DRAGON QUEST® XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age™ - Definitive Edition
Deathsmiles I・II Additional Characters "Gothic wa Mahou Otome" 5 Characters Set
Pizza Tower
Samorost 3
Pilgrims
Happy Game
CHUCHEL
Golden Idol Mysteries: The Spider of Lanka
The Case of the Golden Idol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why no deals on Etrian Odyssey ?
The game has only been out for two weeks. It's already overpriced by at least double, so even a 50% off sale probably wouldn't tempt me personally.

Project Wingman at $12.50 is a no-brainer for me.

X4: Foundations at $20......not sure about. I bought it a while back and didn't care for it, but I seem to remember reading that there have been a lot of improvements.
The basic gameplay of X is virtually unchanged across the entire series. If you weren't into it then chances are it won't hook you now unless your taste changes.

Zimmy68

I checked on Returnal and it was showing the already high MSRP of $47.99. When does the sale start???
And Sekiro for $29? Call me Nostradamus. How did I call that???

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I checked on Returnal and it was showing the already high MSRP of $47.99. When does the sale start???
And Sekiro for $29? Call me Nostradamus. How did I call that???

Korranator

The game has only been out for two weeks. It's already overpriced by at least double, so even a 50% off sale probably wouldn't tempt me personally.
lol

For some reason I thought it had been out longer than that.

You can find the collection for $69 making it $23 each game elsewhere.

legacy24

I never played the half life series. I just got a PC earlier this year. is black mesa a remake of the first one? buying that, hl2, ep 1 & 2

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I am thinking about getting Lost Judgment. Is it worth playing just for the story? And how is it different from yakuza games because those get a bit too crazy for my taste.

I am thinking about getting Lost Judgment. Is it worth playing just for the story? And how is it different from yakuza games because those get a bit too crazy for my taste.
A lot of people seem to like it, but I am still playing the prequel, Judgement. It has great storytelling and gameplay.

Last edited:

Antwix

Nothing for me here bros except maybe some more AoE2 DLC. The wait continues for a cheaper price for TW Warhammer 3

Midn1ght

Some of the prices on Eneba and Cdkeys are really tempting. I bought a few games from them years ago but went back to official key resellers after reading somewhere that, potentially, Steam could one day track down keys bought on unofficial websites and revoke the licenses.

I don't know what to think about that. I still have access to the few games I bought years ago from them but could Steam actually remove games from our library if we bought them from unofficial sources?

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Some of the prices on Eneba and Cdkeys are really tempting. I bought a few games from them years ago but went back to official key resellers after reading somewhere that, potentially, Steam could one day track down keys that were bought on these unofficial websites and revoke those licenses.

How much truth is there in that? I still have access to the few games I bought years ago from them but is there really a risk of Steam removing games from our library if we bought from unofficial sources?
There is a risk, pretty small one, but they are still a "grey market" so it will be less reliable than approved resellers like sites that are listed at gg.deals or isthereanydeal for example.
I wouldnt worry too much about it, its usually the publisher (usually the smaller ones since it can hurt them) tracking it down rather than steam.

Last edited:

T-Cake

When you buy an EA game on Steam, does it now call for the EA App instead of Origin? I'm assuming Origin is now deprecated and not available anymore?

Project Wingman at $12.50 is a no-brainer for me.

X4: Foundations at $20......not sure about. I bought it a while back and didn't care for it, but I seem to remember reading that there have been a lot of improvements.
Forgot to say that if you're just looking to shoot things in space then you could try the demo for Everspace 2. It's a recent release though so sale ain't deep.

simpatico

Fell in love with Yakuza franchise on GamePass, the pickins got slim there and I unsubbed. Probably pick up all of those and some SHMUPS and boomers on the wishlist. Thankfully Gloomwood is not on sale, so I'll be able to wait for it to be completed before jumping in. Dead Space still runs like hot musty shit so I'll be able to hold off on that until it's around $20

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Forgot to say that if you're just looking to shoot things in space then you could try the demo for Everspace 2. It's a recent release though so sale ain't deep.

Great game. I've been playing it since launch and really enjoy it. Always looking for cool space games like that. Big reason why I'm excited for Starfield.

Top Bottom