• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2023 |OT| June 29th - July 13th

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

9zaf8Ca.png

Last edited:

Larxia

Hard to get excited about 30% off a five-year-old game.
Same here, steam sales really aren't what they used to be.

I really miss the old days, like around 2012, when each sale was a real daily event. Each new day was exciting with new time limited sales.
It was almost like bets, do I buy this now at -50%, or do I wait for a possible better deal in the coming days like -75%, but also risking that it's not on sale anymore.

It felt more active, and there were much better deals, just on shorter time frames.

Then steam refunds happened and this was over. Now you just check your wishlist once when the sales start, and that's it.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

PC virgin here so this will be my first big Steam sale. I hope I there is a good deal on Dark Souls, Scholar of the First Sin and DS3. Maybe Sekiro as well. Need From Softwares classics in my PC library. A good sale on The Witcher 3 would be great too as I'm itching to play it again with the next gen enhancements.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
PC virgin here so this will be my first big Steam sale. I hope I there is a good deal on Dark Souls, Scholar of the First Sin and DS3. Maybe Sekiro as well. Need From Softwares classics in my PC library. A good sale on The Witcher 3 would be great too as I'm itching to play it again with the next gen enhancements.
A few tips, my good fellow:

Be sure to check sites like IsThereAnyDeal.com or SteamDB to see what the best deals are. They have pretty good price tracking historical info too, so you can see what you might be able to expect when the sale starts next week. Unfortunately for you, From has been extremely stingy with their sales since Elden Ring became a household name. But - you never know!

Sometimes even after the sale goes live, Steam still doesn't have the best price. I like to shamelessly plug Augmented Steam as a way to see if something is available elsewhere for cheaper.

Steam's wishlist functionality is good, especially with the above add-on. You'll also get email notifications for stuff you put there now for when the sale goes live.

Unless you're independently wealthy, try to narrow your focus if you can. If you're coming from the world of console gaming, you're likely going to see some crazy prices that you're not used to. Your instincts will say "Even though I have this on PS4, I better re-buy it on Steam, so I can (play it on my Steam Deck | have a PC backup copy | play through this again at some point with crazy good graphics). The Witcher 3 + all DLC will probably be $10, maybe even less. Even though stuff is cheap, it all adds up quick. It's easy to get carried away during your first big sale.

Have fun!

T-Cake

Think I will try and bag some of the PlayStation games that I haven't got yet. i.e. nearly all of them, I only got Horizon Zero Dawn so far.

Antwix

Probably not gonna buy much if anything. My backlog is huge and my wishlist is sparse. I've been looking to get back into Total War a bit and I'm really interested in getting TW Warhammer 3 but I may just keep waiting a bit so it gets cheaper. Might buy just 1 or 2 things if I see some things that are dirt cheap.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Think I will try and bag some of the PlayStation games that I haven't got yet. i.e. nearly all of them, I only got Horizon Zero Dawn so far.

These will probably not be this cheap in the steam sale. Maybe spiderman will drop below that.

jshackles

Might as well wait for Black Friday for that game because it still needs patches.
That's a shame, I heard it had been patched on PC and was running relatively well now.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There’s a few front runners I’m considering…

Evil West
Trepang
Warhammer Boltgun
Weird West
Onee Chanbara Origin

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A small peek at what’s on my wishlist

A game that was consistently hyped by PS VITA fans back in the years.

A heavily hyped Playstation game, so might get in with discount

Its part of the SHINING series if I am not wrong. I haven't check out the series yet but it seems appealing, but not going to pay full price on it

I like the art style. Reminds me of SMT Devil Survivors. Maybe its the same artist? Reviews is mostly positive too so might dip

Maybe its time to dip into PROJECT CARS 3 too. I have been buying racing games since I acquired a steering wheel a while back. EA is also canning the series so I think I'll jump in, in case EA delist this game for no reason

The only thing holding me back is that I already have NMH1 and NMH2 on Switch. Still thinking if I should buy it on Steam or Switch so I have the whole series on Switch

Its a chill puzzle game it seems. Thinking if I should make it a between-game among the various heavy action AAA titles.

Its been years since release so might be time to jump in. It gives me the impression that it is consistently updated with the latest pc rendering tech, so i am interested.

Holammer

These will probably not be this cheap in the steam sale. Maybe spiderman will drop below that.
Not to mention 32% off on Ratch & Clank: Ripped a Fart pre-order. It won't get cheaper than that for yonks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dont forget GOG. It's their own launcher, but that site focuses more on older games. But they still have some recent games. DRM free too.

If you are itching for a game (and dont mind two launchers), just cherry pick the site that has the lowest price. GOG has big sales all the time on rotation by publisher or genre or era. Every month they'll have a free game to download (do it in 2-3 days or you miss it). Usually a crap game, but sometimes the freebie is worth downloading.

I got into PC gaming during Xmas 2020 (last time I gamed on PC a lot was early 2000s rocking HOMM3). Deals are so frequent that aside from some games that I notice never go on deal more than 30% so I bit the bullet, I just wait for 60-80% off deals.

Last edited:

Pimpollo818

I got ~$90 usd in gift card balance, here's what I'm thinking:

Judgment Collection
Iron Lung (yeah yeah yeah)
Ender Lillies
Sword Ship
Mundaun
OlliOlliOlli World
Intravenous

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Do use isthereanydeal.com to compare the price across all legit Steam key sellers like humble bundle or fanatical before buying on Steam. Steam isn’t the only place with cheap sales.

Downside from buying these sites is they have their own refund policies so take note

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Probably will try to pick up Hi Fi Rush on Steam for my STeamDeck and Pharaoh New Age. Maybe a few boomer shooter remasters/remakes as well.

Nightrunner

I got Inscryption, Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX, CrossCode and Blaster Master Zero 3. Always been curious about Torchlight 2 but I didn't buy it because it doesn't have proper controller support - shame because TL1 on consoles was pretty decent.

supernova8

Banned

Have fun!
Personally I just set a hard monetary limit of like $50, add looooooads of stuff to my cart (dozens of games), and then go back through my cart and delete stuff that, on second thought, I probably don't really want.

Other approach is to only look at games that are less than $10 then you're guaranteed to get at least 5 games for that $50. Of course the monetary limit depends on your circumstances. I just set $50 as an amount I won't miss even if I end up not playing much of what I bought.

Mr Hyde

Be sure to check sites like IsThereAnyDeal.com or SteamDB to see what the best deals are. They have pretty good price tracking historical info too, so you can see what you might be able to expect when the sale starts next week. Unfortunately for you, From has been extremely stingy with their sales since Elden Ring became a household name. But - you never know!

Sometimes even after the sale goes live, Steam still doesn't have the best price. I like to shamelessly plug Augmented Steam as a way to see if something is available elsewhere for cheaper.

Steam's wishlist functionality is good, especially with the above add-on. You'll also get email notifications for stuff you put there now for when the sale goes live.

Unless you're independently wealthy, try to narrow your focus if you can. If you're coming from the world of console gaming, you're likely going to see some crazy prices that you're not used to. Your instincts will say "Even though I have this on PS4, I better re-buy it on Steam, so I can (play it on my Steam Deck | have a PC backup copy | play through this again at some point with crazy good graphics). The Witcher 3 + all DLC will probably be $10, maybe even less. Even though stuff is cheap, it all adds up quick. It's easy to get carried away during your first big sale.

Have fun!

Thanks man, appreciate the tips 🙏 bummer about From Software being stingy about sales, but considering the humongous success of Elden Ring it's understandable.

Yeah, I totally get that you can get carried away with sales like this, especially if it's your first, but I have a rather tight budget as of now (most money went to investing in a PC) so I won't be spending like crazy 🤣

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Anybody excited about a Steam sale never experienced a REAL Steam scale. That's when the deals so good you kept spending money.

The good times have been over for years now, modern Steam sales are usually a disappointment. I'm more excited about the free weekly game from the Epic store than about Steam sales.

Just create a watch list on https://gg.deals/ and buy a game when it hits the right price.

Pakoe

Same here, steam sales really aren't what they used to be.

I really miss the old days, like around 2012, when each sale was a real daily event. Each new day was exciting with new time limited sales.
It was almost like bets, do I buy this now at -50%, or do I wait for a possible better deal in the coming days like -75%, but also risking that it's not on sale anymore.

It felt more active, and there were much better deals, just on shorter time frames.

Then steam refunds happened and this was over. Now you just check your wishlist once when the sales start, and that's it.
Yall remember the developer packs? 60 bucks for almost every game from a dev.
Good times...

Top Bottom