• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic “Reimagining” in the works.

kretos

Banned
I heard an update from two independent sources (different from ones who’d given me the prior information, and one of whom helped me confirm our Ewan McGregor scoop from last year).
According to one, the previously mentioned Knights of the Old Republic remake is back in development. My other source added to that saying they felt it wasn’t so much a remake, but a “sequel” of sorts. It would be a Knights of the Old Republic project that would integrate elements from the first two games in order to bring certain things into the current Star Warscanon. Not necessarily a remake, so much as a re-imagining.

Ellery

I remember my mate super loving this one beyond belief and since I have never played it I would love for it to be true, since I doubt I can get into old one this easily nowadays.

Normally I just want remakes of games I played and loved, but this one would be awesome.

EDMIX

It would really depend on who's making it for me to be excited. What bioware in their heyday did and obsidian even more so with the sequel will be a near impossible act to follow up on for any rpg developers out there in my opinion.

Of course its going to be Bioware, who else you think EA are going to hand an RPG to? I'd be surprised if they gave it to ReSpawn tbh, but Bioware to my understanding has been working on a Star Wars Game for some time. I recall when EA first got the Star Wars license, Bioware was one of the teams listed as working on a Star Wars title. Could be the same one, who knows.

GV82

I don’t know who cinelinx are, but it may end up being true with the on off rumours of old republic movies or show supposedly in the works and more recent the “High Republic era “ (whichI think is 400 years prior to A New Hope) rumours so maybe it will be linked to that.

VertigoOA

Banned
It’ll be shoehorned into being Disney canon. Which means what? No dialogue choices or sith/Jedi paths to follow?

It was better when all of it existed as its own thing with little regard of it being “canon” or not.

Extremely low expectations for this one. The force is not strong with Disney and it won’t ever be.

PS - the ios port of KOTOR is the only game I’ve ever purchased to play on my phone.

Last edited:
I have my doubts but even if it is true, I doubt it'll be as good as older Bioware offerings. They're a shadow of their former selves and nobody else seems to be making decent games like KOTOR anymore. Add all that to the worsening of industry practices. I have little faith.

Reactions: Isa

Virex

Banned
It will be very woke. And Bioware will fuck it up. Bioware is Bioware just by name now. All the talent left long ago. They should let Warhorse do it. Daniel Vavra will make sure it will be excellent

Maybe some dev should also do a Reimagining of Republic commando.

"Reimagining"? Female republic clones? Cloned from Jango Fett's secret unknown wife Jenna Fett?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
They are going to fuck it up. Just uprez the textures and add achievements/trophies and call it a day.

Start fucking with it, and you better rename it something else.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

Could be. Apparently Revan is designated as canon in the Disney SWverse, but presumably they'd want to change things so it fits better.

Paasei

The one really good game from BioWare. Don't have high hopes they'll do it right should anything ever come of this "reimagining".

GreyHorace

Don't trust current day Bioware handling this, nevermind Disney Lucasfilm overseeing it.

Still, Jedi Fallen Order turned out good by all accounts despite the low expectations. Maybe Disney are in damage control mode now and have mandated EA not make a crappy game so as not to further damage the brand.

Kagey K

Banned
Don't trust current day Bioware handling this, nevermind Disney Lucasfilm overseeing it.

Still, Jedi Fallen Order turned out good by all accounts despite the low expectations. Maybe Disney are in damage control mode now and have mandated EA not make a crappy game so as not to further damage the brand.
If they are really going to “old republic” or “high republic” next you can bet they will retcon some stuff and add characters that weren’t there before.

GreyHorace

If they are really going to “old republic” or “high republic” next you can bet they will retcon some stuff and add characters that weren’t there before.
I expect that to happen. Though I hope they'll keep some of the characters and concepts from the previous KOTOR games. The groundwork has been laid, all one needs is an competent and imaginative dev team to make a good game out of it.

As for the High Republic, I'm interested to see this era of Star Wars that's never been explored before. I'm still wary with how Disney is going to handle thing going forward. But as I said before, I believe they're in damage control mode now and are doing their utmost to now fuck up the brand. The Mandalorian has already won back some good will, they'd be fools to squander it.

Kagey K

Banned
I expect that to happen. Though I hope they'll keep some of the characters and concepts from the previous KOTOR games. The groundwork has been laid, all one needs is an competent and imaginative dev team to make a good game out of it.

As for the High Republic, I'm interested to see this era of Star Wars that's never been explored before. I'm still wary with how Disney is going to handle thing going forward. But as I said before, I believe they're in damage control mode now and are doing their utmost to now fuck up the brand. The Mandalorian has already won back some good will, they'd be fools to squander it.
They have basically retconned anything made before 2013 as non canon now, so if they “reimagine” it I think it will stray very far from the original source.

Similar to Battlefront 2 vs Battlefront II

Last edited:

GreyHorace

They have basically retconned anything made before 2013 as non canon now, so if they “reimagine” it I think it will stray very far from the original source.

Similar to Battlefront 2 vs Battlefront II
And look at what happened when Disney strayed far the original source with the sequel trilogy.

We got The Last Jedi.

Like I said, damage control mode. It still hasn't been confirmed but I think this new KOTOR project could be an effort to bring back fans to Star Wars games.

Verdanth

I much rather prefer a sequel than a remake.

The most astonishing thing about KOTOR is the narrative, and for those who already played it...meh.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
All that content (esp the voice acting) would fill out a single-player experience nicely.

And by that I mean -- knowing EA -- a core sp experience that receives 3-5 paid "expansions" over the lifespan of the title.

It will be very woke. And Bioware will fuck it up. Bioware is Bioware just by name now. All the talent left long ago. They should let Warhorse do it. Daniel Vavra will make sure it will be excellent

Maybe some dev should also do a Reimagining of Republic commando.

"Reimagining"? Female republic clones? Cloned from Jango Fett's secret unknown wife Jenna Fett?
Looking forward to Manveer Heir returing to Bioware for Kotor remake.

Blond

Banned
It would really depend on who's making it for me to be excited. What bioware in their heyday did and obsidian even more so with the sequel will be a near impossible act to follow up on for any rpg developers out there in my opinion.

It still amazes me David Gaider who wrote that game completely sperged out and wrote all that trash that was Dragon Age 2

I can't wait for EA/Disney to absolutely destroy this part of Star Wars too. Universally acclaimed Kotor becomes universally panned filler-tier trash.

Respawn did a commendable job with Jedi: Fallen Order, but I have no faith in Bioware. During the early days when Mass Effect and Dragon age were being made Bioware was an entirely different place. By Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 the writing was already on the wall, and Mass Effect 3 and Inquisition were pale shadows of what they should have been based on how they started. Now Bioware is a husk.

I hope Disney goes more in the Mandalorian or Rogue One direction (gritty, somber, violent) and not the sequel trilogy/Rebels/Resistance/comics direction (retarded) if they go ahead and dredge this back up.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I played and completed KOTOR 1 and 2 for the first time last year and they were wonderful. I doubt any modern interpretation would see a character like Kreia. On recent evidence neither Bioware nor Obsidian have the chops for it.

Carna

Banned
Leave the Kotor series as it is, make a new series that has nothing to do with the Jedi vs Sith part of the franchise (the Mandalorian)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Never actually played the game, mostly because I'm pretty indifferent to Star Wars. Something tells me that whenever I do get around to it, though, I should probably just stick to the original.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
First one was great, second one not so much.

Second one was shite compared to the first.

I must disagree there. The story is far better and Kreia is an amazing character. It's such an interesting take on the star wars universe.

Fbh

If done right I'd definitely love to see the franchise return. Hell, even if it isn't as good as the original I would still enjoy a competent single player Star Wars RPG.

But I don't really know who could do it. Obsidian is with MS now, CDPR are doing their own thing, Larian is doing Baldur's Gate, Bethesda is probably hard at work making sure Starfield is only half broken and has the visuls of a top tier 2012 game, and """"Bioware""""" is, well, """"Bioware"""""

Last edited:
Leave the Kotor series as it is, make a new series that has nothing to do with the Jedi vs Sith part of the franchise (the Mandalorian)
I'm ok with Jedi and Sith but do something different.

Let's see more alien Force Users ffs. Look at the Rakata for example.

Also SW canon needs to show off new Force powers. As poopy as TLJ was I will at least give Roundhead credit for showcasing new abilities.

Top Bottom